the Dosadi experiment is a little odd..

JM
Old 09-07-2005, 18:43:47   #653
JM^3
colossal bender

Redemption Ark doesn't seem to be as good as the last two

there are some real annoying points.. and characters that don't act beleivable

I Remember the las ttwo being better

I am having to take a break from it at the half way mark, because I can't take any more of the Ana/Thorn foolishness

JM
Old 09-07-2005, 19:08:48   #654
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

I've been reading a lot of Sci Fi compilations in the hopes that my dormant writing urge will awaken...no luck/no time.
Just finished the first (again) Incarnations of Immortality (Death) book in Piers Anthony's series. Don't know if I'll continue.
Mainly reading scary emails from my boss at work.
Old 10-07-2005, 00:21:38   #655
jsorense
Kinked Rockist

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGameHunter

Mainly reading scary emails from my boss at work.
jsorense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 23:03:02   #656
jsorense
Kinked Rockist

Just finished Philip Roth's "The Plot Against America" (2004). It is a fairly interesting alternate-reminiscense of East Coast urban Jewish life during the late '30s and early 40s. It tells the tale of the affect on the US if Charles Lindberg had been elected as President in 1940. As a fan of alternate histories I found this 10 year old point of view to be disappointing. But it was certainly an interestin writing exercise for Roth.
For the most part, I would not recommend it.
Old 22-07-2005, 17:33:37   #657
Japher
King of the Who

Almost done with ASssasssins Quest, the last of the Farseer thingy, I really like them... I am sad that I am almost done. However, I have the new Hairy Pottey sitting on my desk and I really want to read that. So, I'm set.
Old 22-07-2005, 18:14:35   #658
Chris
really doesn't pay attention

Rereading Storming to power right now, about how the Nazis took over Germany in the early 30s.
Old 23-07-2005, 14:37:06   #659
Fergus & The Brazen Car
Earwicker

Finished Peter Hamilton's 'Pandora's Star' which book should also please any fans of his Confederation series.

Also read 'History and Hope', collected essays of C. V. Wedgwood.
Attached Images

George Orwell

I'm just as confused as I was last week. Ronald Reagan.
Fergus & The Brazen Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2005, 00:29:02   #660
devilmunchkin

Just finished Harry potter and the half blood prince (duh..lol)..
Just before that I reread Sense and SEnsibility by Jane AUsten

not sure if i will start anything new (might do my own writing for awhile)...if i do start anything i will reread Jane Eyre
"You think the only thing keeping this reality from collapsing is my awareness of it? what do you think? You know, the idea that a thing exists solely to be the anchor point for all known things. The old thing about what happens to the world when you close your eyes!! Does the light even exist anymore when the refrigerator door shuts?!" JTHM
devilmunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2005, 00:48:04   #661
Kitsuki
Mooooo.

The Devils Alternative my Frederick Forsyth, its excellent because he only slowly ramps up the pace; and boy does it go at some pace...! Real page turner, and his amazing knowledge of various subjects really enhances the narrative.
Kitsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2005, 21:55:41   #662
alsieboo
Pleb

Out - Natsuo Kirino. Set in Japan, the main characters are a group of 4 middle aged housewives who couldn't be more different from each other, but become friends through their job at the night shift at the local factory. Events take an unlikely turn and the friendship is put to the test. Despite that shit discription, it's a really good book, it's got murder, suspicion, romance, sex, all the best ingredients.

Live Bait - P.J Tracy. The follow up to 'Want to play?' is written with the same fast paced style, keeping you on the edge of your seat and giving you unexpected surprises on the way. For anyone who's read the first one, this see's Magozzi's relationship with Grace continue, and a brief appearance of the old monkeewrench gang.
Old 25-07-2005, 16:47:53   #663
King_Ghidra
pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

The first four hitchiker's guide books.

Never read them before, nor seen the film, so barring some encounters with the bbc series, it's all new to me.

So far so good, you can see the rather massive influence on the style of pratchett and others.
King_Ghidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 00:22:38   #664
paiktis22
Productive

Recently finished Raphaelides' "The barbarian ancestors of modern europeans" which was a delight. Raphaelides was a hardcore commie (curse his soul) who was notoriously educated in every single aspect you could imagine and probably one of the most ruthless critics of the modern greek state. He died, followed an operation which had minimum chances of succeeding. Him being a devout atheist he never, even once, called out to God before they took him to the operation room. No matter what one can say, he was consistent don't you think?
I kind of miss him. He was a healthy even though at times prejudist voice of critic. Next up is Raphaelides "Balkan people" and then "The scums of the Greek revolution" by the same author. Assuming I meet up with my uncle who has those books and give him the three CDs I wrote for him including that rare pink floyd one.

Last edited by paiktis22; 27-07-2005 at 00:25:57.
paiktis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 05:28:06   #665
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

Very, very impressed with Perdido Street Station by China Miéville (UK product). I guess you could call it "steam punk". It's sort of a "Charles Dickens writes Dune" vibe.
I have his follow-up book, Scar, waiting in the wings, or I might read You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers, who wrote A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, an auto biographical account of his parents deaths and his resulting custodian(ship) of his younger brother. I couldn't resist the title.

I highly recommend Miéville to any Goth/Fantasy/Horror/Sci fi readers. Extremely gripping and the man is a very fine writer. Bastard.
Old 29-07-2005, 05:19:29   #666
alsieboo
Pleb

Tell me lies - Tony Strong. This is the first time I've come across this author, and he's been around for about a year, and I'm very impressed. The book is loosely based on a true story, a young woman and her flatmate are drugged and raped, but her flatemate is murdered and she survives with only the date carved in her back as a reminder. She reports it to the police, but suffers severe amnesia and can not remember details, only small flashes. During the investigation, her relationship with one of the police officers gets far too personal, and they decide the only way to get their prime suspect locked up is for her to lie and say she saw him. It all goes well until her lie is uncovered...

I didn't see the ending come, but I never do, but still a good book, had me riveted for 4/5 hours, it's the sort of thing that deserves an adaptation for the bbc.
Old 29-07-2005, 09:18:01   #667
Funko
Pubs Minister

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Very, very impressed with Perdido Street Station by China Miéville (UK product). I guess you could call it "steam punk". It's sort of a "Charles Dickens writes Dune" vibe.
I have his follow-up book, Scar, waiting in the wings, or I might read You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers, who wrote A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, an auto biographical account of his parents deaths and his resulting custodian(ship) of his younger brother. I couldn't resist the title.

I highly recommend Miéville to any Goth/Fantasy/Horror/Sci fi readers. Extremely gripping and the man is a very fine writer. Bastard.
- FACT!

I've recommended him here before. Really good stuff.
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 22:02:26   #668
JM^3
colossal bender

well, today and the last couple of days I have been reading Harry Potter 2-5

probably will get to 6 today

JM
Old 31-07-2005, 23:45:51   #669
Immortal Wombat
carbon-based

I am currently reading Ben Elton's High Society (very choppy. Not up to Blast From The Past standards IMO); Lovecraft Omnibus part one (finding him as history has recorded: good imagination, but a bad writer); Dan Dennett's Consciousness Explained, which is very good; a very odd book called Biological Exuberance which so far is an summary account of almost every sexually "deviant" behaviour observed in the animal kingdom (incest, gay sex, masturbation, oral sex, blowhole sex, diddling, fiddling, twiddling - these are technical terms) and then summarised by species as well. Fascinating stuff.

And listening to the Wee Free Men audiobook while I'm drawing.
Immortal Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:04:38   #670
Fergus & The Brazen Car
Earwicker

Just finished 'The Battles That Changed History' by Fletcher Pratt'.

Started on 'The Art of Benin' by Paula Ben-Amos.
Attached Images

George Orwell

Old 01-08-2005, 13:36:36   #671
Japher
King of the Who

Finally finished The Farseer Trilogy, had so much going on lately it took back seat. I loved them all, great suggestion.

Now I'm on to the new Harry Potter.
Old 01-08-2005, 15:48:55   #672
JM^3
colossal bender

just read the new Harry Potter

not sure what I am on next

JM
Old 01-08-2005, 16:01:36   #673
alsieboo
Pleb

Over the weekend I finished 'Bare Bones' - Kathy Reichs, the new harry potter, and today I started 'A question of Blood' Ian Rankin. Hoping to get hold of a copy of the new Robert Rankin, got reminded it was out after seeing a promo poster at the staion, he looked devilishly handsome
Old 01-08-2005, 17:51:03   #674
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

Well, if you're basing your reading list on good looking writers, you should be done soon.
Old 01-08-2005, 23:42:45   #675
Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
Not National Zombie Awareness Month

Just read the non-fiction "Breaking the Time Barrier" by Jenny Randles, and thought it was crap. How someone can get the concept of time travel so badly wrong, I'll never know.

Three out of ten.

Now I'm reading another one about teleportation. Seems the local library was having a field day snapping up crappily written pop sci books
Old 07-08-2005, 22:38:23   #676
JM^3
colossal bender

just finished

Lilith by George Macdonald

JM
Old 08-08-2005, 09:53:03   #677
Fergus & The Brazen Car
Earwicker

Just finished Christiane Bird's account of her return to Iran and her journey through it, called : 'Neither East Nor West : One Woman's Journey Through the Islamic Republic of Iran'

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...19803?v=glance

Now starting 'Conversations With Borges' by Richard Burgin

http://www.complete-review.com/revie...jl/jlbcons.htm

George Orwell

Old 08-08-2005, 15:04:20   #678
JM^3
colossal bender

just read Inversions

an interesting novel, not sure if I got everything..

JM
Old 07-09-2005, 10:26:29   #679
King_Ghidra

Started A Game of Thrones by George r r martin, mainly on the basis of reading through some old threads here on CG

800 pages, phew here we go again...and it's only book 1

so far so good though
Old 09-09-2005, 15:20:43   #680
alsieboo
Pleb

Tess Gerritsen - In their footsteps. For a start I couldn't even remember what it was about, but a quick squiz of the blurb reminds me it's about 2 children of well respected dead spys. Mystery shrouds their death (well it wouldn't be much of a story if they knew what happened) and they run off to paris to find out. Personally I was more interested to see if the hints at incest between a mother and her son were going to come to anything, but thats because the rest of the book was so predictable.

Elegance - Kathleen Tessaro. A woman in an unhappy marriage finds a book on elegance, starts taking tips from it, turns into a completley different person, walks away from her husband and moves in with her gay best friend. Her obsession with the book takes over, her friends try to help her, and in the end she has a toy boy. Trashy read.

Politics - Adam Thirlwell. I don't like the way he's written the characters speach, it makes them sound permanently drunk, and just babyish. It's been called 'stylish' but personally I think the blatant disregard for basic storytelling is abismal. He's got more than one character speaking on a line (maybe it's just me that annoys), he talks to the reader (which I don't mind) but it's the manner in which he does it that gets me. He digresses a fair bit, sometimes what he's writing has such a tenuous link it makes you wonder if he was just trying to boost the word count. Personally not my thing, but others of you may enjoy it.
Old 09-09-2005, 15:35:19   #681
Japher
King of the Who

I'm reading "The Kite Runner" it's about growing up in Afganastan preTaliban. Pretty good, but I'm not even half way through it. The author has a strange way of writing, or telling a story. He really just "tells" the story. Reminds me of Hemingway, who I like, so I am probably biased.

oh, and so far, no jews. What's up with that?
Old 13-09-2005, 19:07:24   #682
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

They don't like kites?
Old 29-09-2005, 17:12:44   #683
King_Ghidra

Quote:
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
Started A Game of Thrones by George r r martin, mainly on the basis of reading through some old threads here on CG

800 pages, phew here we go again...and it's only book 1

so far so good though
finished this and it's bloody brilliant. Book 2, and 3 (parts 1 and 2 ) have just arrived and i am very excited.
Old 10-10-2005, 17:44:02   #684
Japher
King of the Who

Reading the Liveship Traders Triolgy... first book right now
Old 11-10-2005, 22:30:59   #685
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

Just started reading the Heechee series by Frederick Pohl again...about the 4th time. I seem to recall it starts out incredible and gets exponentially worse as you go through the series....reads fast, so I'll know soon...
Old 13-12-2005, 14:09:45   #686
Japher
King of the Who

finally finished the first book, The Ship of Magic or whatever. That took me way too long. I guess that is how is when you work, have a 3 month old, and regularly drink yourself into such a stuppor that you find yourself rereading whole chapters.

On to the second book now, Mad Ship or something.

Good series though. I will be reading the Tawny Man series after the next book. Back to Fitz I assume, I like his character.
Old 13-12-2005, 16:30:48   #687
mr.G
jesjes inderdeed

I am reading this thread at the moment.
i wanna be mrG's best friendje : Vincent

mr.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 18:17:08   #688
Immortal Wombat
carbon-based

I am reading The Song of the Dodo, by David Quammen. It's an entertaining history of island biogeography.
Old 13-12-2005, 22:28:50   #689
jsorense
Kinked Rockist

I have just started 1776 by David McCullough (2005).
I have never really grasped the political climate in GB and The Parliament during our War of Independence. This book should be enlightening.
Old 14-12-2005, 17:24:53   #690
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

A Canticle for Leibowitz.

For a reputed all time classic, it is starting to lose my interest.
Old 16-12-2005, 17:06:59   #691
Japher
King of the Who

I had the hardest time Moby Dick... didn't hold my interest.
Old 16-12-2005, 17:23:36   #692
King_Ghidra

agreed, i've read most of it in fits and starts but i have no great desire to return to it to finish it off

it is a remarkable book, but not a good read
Old 16-12-2005, 18:08:37   #693
Japher
King of the Who

I found that if I read every other chapter I enjoyed it more since every other chapter was about more mundane stuff.

I never finished the Kite Runner either. I hated the writting, to basic. And I'm a Hemingway fan!

I also can't read Hawthorne, to verbose, and if I read more than one Steinbeck book in a row I go nuts.

Robert Jordan is boring as is Goodkind, but I like Mercedes Lackey (I guess I'm gay).

What appeals to you appeals to you... all because something is "suppose to be good" doesn't mean you'll like it.
Old 17-12-2005, 10:03:31   #694
Fergus & The Brazen Car
Earwicker

Have just finished China Mieville's 'The Iron Council'.

Have just begun 'The Federalist Papers' again.

George Orwell

Old 30-12-2005, 12:56:13   #695
MDA

Location: updated his email address and can look but not post
The Liveship/Fitz books gradually poop out.

I must be gay too, my wife showed me Mercedes Lackey and I think I've read most of her books now.
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2005, 20:42:26   #696
Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
Not National Zombie Awareness Month

Just finished "Going Postal" by Terry Pratchett, and it's not up to the standards of humor previous Discworld novels have been.

Still, the story was okay except for some strange left-field confusing parts I didn't like.

All in all, two thumbs sideways.

Also recently finished the Cryptonomicon which initially irritated be beyond belief by being written in the present tense, but later went on to enthrall be as a snappy fast-paced story that really benefited from being present tense. Ended sort of abruptly though, and I had to trawl the web to find some answers to nagging plot points (which were actually spoilers for the Baroque Cycle, d'oh).

I've had the Thomas Covenant book (the first two trilogies) on my shelp for ages without having read them - perhaps I'll make a dent in them some time?
Old 31-12-2005, 01:31:00   #697
Immortal Wombat
carbon-based

I read Going Postal over Christmas as well. The subtexts are still becoming less, well, subtle. There should have been more Godel in there as well. Still it's always nice to get another glimpse into the mind of Vetinari.

I also read Douglas Adams' Last Chance to See, which I have been meaning to do for a while. It's funnier, but nothing like as in-depth as the Quammen I mentioned before, and deals with fairly similar things.

Now reading A Black Hole In Neasdon which is looking to be a fantastically terrible science fiction book which might be great in 30 years time for that very reason, but at the moment just reads like a terrible mangling of science for a mediocre plot.

I might try to steal Riddley Walker from my mother at some point in the next couple of weeks. Apparently Laz reckons it's not bad...
Old 05-01-2006, 14:56:48   #698
King_Ghidra

i got riddley walker for xmas (sharing my amazon wishlist for xmas was the best idea ever) and have just started it today, looks great

just finished The Confusions of Young Torless, which is just your average tale of german teenage existentialist homoerotic torture, really
Old 05-01-2006, 20:54:46   #699
Japher
King of the Who

Quote:
just finished The Confusions of Young Torless, which is just your average tale of german teenage existentialist homoerotic torture, really
yeah, if you've read one you've read them all
Old 06-01-2006, 09:10:23   #700
MattHiggs
Higgelhoff

I'm currentely reading 'Is it me or is everything shit?' by Alan McArthur and Steve Lowe.

It's very funny in places.
MattHiggs is offline   Reply With Quote