Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Games

Old 10-10-2012, 14:52:21   #1
MDA

Location: updated his email address and can look but not post
Dishonored

If you liked Thief...

There are some Deus Ex-like elements (charms/runes replacing augments) but its got more of a Thief atmosphere.

I've been trying to stealth my way through the first play, but there are multiple cool toys and powers in my inventory begging me to go postal. Razor mines, incendiary crossbow bolts, mind control abilities , a fus-roh-dah wind knockback effect. I'm sticking to sleep darts and sneaking up behind people, knocking them cold, and dragging them someplace quiet (alas, no Sharpie in my inventory), but I can also "possess" a rat to get through small spaces to bypass guards or locks. I even managed to neutralize my first assassination mission target without killing him.

I did get credit for killing two city guards that wandered into a swarm of rats in an alley. I never interacted with either. Swarms of rats are unhealthy.

It starts out in an unusual way, you're the Lord Protector, falsely imprisoned for killing the empress and kidnapping her daughter and must escape prison and clear your name, somehow stop the bad guys, and save the princess...

I know, no amnesia, right?

It borrows Thief story elements heavily (so far), but it's so well done I don't feel I can complain. I've only put in about four hours so far, though.

P.S., mind-controlling/possessing rats is weird, you end up standing where the rat is when the effect wears off instead of where you... were. The logic sucks, but the gameplay benefits. Handy for sneaking past guards, or through ductwork to bypass locks.
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 00:32:12   #2
Fistandantilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA View Post
It starts out in an unusual way, you're the Lord Protector, falsely imprisoned for killing the empress and kidnapping her daughter and must escape prison and clear your name, somehow stop the bad guys, and save the princess...
Is this a joke?

Sounds interesting btw
Fistandantilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:42:36   #3
MDA

It's a joke, but it's also true.

The overall plot isn't very original, but I think it's done fairly well. I've heard rumbling about the ending, but complaining about endings might just be the flavor of the month on internet forums due to Mass Effect 3.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:53:23   #4
Venom
Look out behind you!

In the internet's defense, the ending of Mass Effect 3 sucked.

Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:15:51   #5
MDA

yeah, all that build up and it fizzled
Old 15-10-2012, 11:08:55   #6
MDA

There's a massive increase in difficulty when you get the mission to go after the empress' killer. He's pretty much surrounded by hordes of cult assassins. Save/Reload madness.

After leaving that level, things seemed to go back to normal. Still not quite finished, but I'm closing in.
Old 16-10-2012, 12:26:48   #7
MDA

Finished last night and immediately moved on to XCOM.

I'd say it was short, but I would bet that I've put many more hours into it in the last week than I realize.

At some point, I'll probably go back and play high-violence fps style.