Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Film, Fiction and Writing

Old 29-12-2011, 22:06:03   #1
Walrus Feeder
Turnip plantations are vital

Fave Films of 2011

Reckon i saw about 20 films at the cinema this year plus others via Lovefilm that were released in 2011 too.

A year of slighlty disappointing blockbusters but some impressive lower key releases. Here were my highlights:

NEDS (may have come out end of 2010) - Story of teen boys growing up in tough Glasweigan schools in 1970s.

SOURCE CODE - Neat, imaginative film starring Jake Gyllenhall about existing in someone else's body and having the ability to jump through time to identify in this case a train bomber in Chicago.

FAST & FURIOUS 5 - Most enjoyable film of the year. Better than the rest of the series put together. Just kick ass action, amazing stunts, great Rio setting and heist plot thrown in to increase the fun.

HANNA - Story of teenage female assassin. If you liked Leon you'll like this.

SUPER8 - Enjoyable tale of kids out filming who witness huge train crash and get involved in the havoc that takes over their village afterwards. Similar feels to The Goonies and bit of Close Encounters or Cloverfield.

KILL LIST - Low key and low budget British film about 2 contract killers who get involved increasingly more brutal and mysterious jobs.

DRIVE - All the critics were raving about this but i didn't think it was all that stylish and cool. Too many long pausing cameras on characters faces and when it came some brutal action.

Never saw Kings Speech, Tinky Winky Sailor Spy (you know the one), Harry Potter, Black Swan or Rise of Planet of The Apes.

TURKEY OF THE YEAR: Transformers 3
Walrus Feeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 01:36:28   #2
Koshko

Nothing

I literally haven't seen any movie that came out this year.
Koshko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 16:05:09   #3
Funko
Pubs Minister

I just got watched the last harry potter movie on sky box office. that was ok. That's the only film that came out this year I've seen.

When they come on sky movies I'll let you know what I think.
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 21:02:37   #4
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus Feeder View Post
Reckon i saw about 20 films at the cinema this year plus others via Lovefilm that were released in 2011 too.

A year of slighlty disappointing blockbusters but some impressive lower key releases. Here were my highlights:

NEDS (may have come out end of 2010) - Story of teen boys growing up in tough Glasweigan schools in 1970s.

SOURCE CODE - Neat, imaginative film starring Jake Gyllenhall about existing in someone else's body and having the ability to jump through time to identify in this case a train bomber in Chicago.
Sorry, the idea just simply didn't appeal to me, so I didn't see it!

Quote:
FAST & FURIOUS 5 - Most enjoyable film of the year. Better than the rest of the series put together. Just kick ass action, amazing stunts, great Rio setting and heist plot thrown in to increase the fun.
Fucking Awesome!

Quote:
HANNA - Story of teenage female assassin. If you liked Leon you'll like this.
Fucking Awesome!

Quote:
SUPER8 - Enjoyable tale of kids out filming who witness huge train crash and get involved in the havoc that takes over their village afterwards. Similar feels to The Goonies and bit of Close Encounters or Cloverfield.
Fucking Awesome!

Quote:
KILL LIST - Low key and low budget British film about 2 contract killers who get involved increasingly more brutal and mysterious jobs.
Meant to see this as it looked really good...

Quote:
DRIVE - All the critics were raving about this but i didn't think it was all that stylish and cool. Too many long pausing cameras on characters faces and when it came some brutal action.
Seemed meh to me, so didn't see it.

Quote:
Never saw Kings Speech, Tinky Winky Sailor Spy (you know the one), Harry Potter, Black Swan or Rise of Planet of The Apes.
Kings Speech & Tinky Winky Sailor Spy, Awesome! Harry Potter, urgh but saw for completeness' sake. Just didn't feel like seeing Black Swan, and didn't get round to PotA...

Quote:
TURKEY OF THE YEAR: Transformers 3
Atrocious, but not as bad as Immortals!

EDIT: Crap I forgot about Sucker Punch! Nope, still Immortals...
Old 30-12-2011, 22:10:34   #5
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Top Ten

Hanna
Super 8
The Guard
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Fast Five
Hugo
The Help
Bridesmaids
Rango
Final Destination 5

The Rest, in no Particular Order

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
The Hangover Part II
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Thor
Anonymous
Captain America: The First Avenger
X-Men: First Class
Horrible Bosses
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
Cowboys & Aliens
The Green Hornet
The Adventures of Tintin
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
The Mechanic
The Inbetweeners Movie
The Devil's Double
The Rum Diary
The Thing
The Eagle
Conan the Barbarian

The Shit Bucket

Immortals
Sucker Punch
Gnomeo and Juliet (I had no choice in this one!)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon

The Ones I Meant to See, but didn’t

Colombiana
Ironclad
Hobo with a Shotgun
Killer Elite
Attack the Block
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
The Ides of March
Paul

I think that's all...

Oh and I saw True Grit, The Way Back; Tron, in 2011, even though they're 2010 films...

I think MoSe would approve of the thoroughness of my list.

Last edited by MOBIUS; 30-12-2011 at 22:19:01.
MOBIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 22:36:03   #6
Walrus Feeder
Turnip plantations are vital

I saw Colombiana whch was unoriginal and fairly average. Ironclad is worth seeing but you'll need a strong stomach - limbs being hacked off etc! I saw Sucker Punch too which was a load of nonsense but it looked good (you know what i mean, ha ha) so tolerated it. Immortals looked so bad i made a point not to see it.
Walrus Feeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:28:55   #7
Funko
Pubs Minister

Have got Paul on Sky+ to watch this week.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:53:10   #8
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus Feeder View Post
I saw Colombiana whch was unoriginal and fairly average. Ironclad is worth seeing but you'll need a strong stomach - limbs being hacked off etc! I saw Sucker Punch too which was a load of nonsense but it looked good (you know what i mean, ha ha) so tolerated it. Immortals looked so bad i made a point not to see it.
Much of the reason I didn't see those films was I thought most of them would be pretty average and just didn't get round to them for whatever reason. I did really want to see Ironclad as it was all filmed in Wales and partly to support the local economy - but it was only on for one week!

Visually Sucker Punch was awesome on so many levels. Just really annoyed because I'd enjoyed the rest of Snyder's stuff. Immortals was indeed utter rot.
Old 04-01-2012, 13:54:40   #9
Funko
Pubs Minister

I watched Paul now. Was good, funny, 7/10
Old 04-01-2012, 16:02:33   #10
maroule
Intermittent du spectacle

the xmen was a strong super hero movie, easily in my top 5
badly want to see Tinky Winky Sailor Spy, my kind of movie

surprisingly, some of the best films I saw this year were french ones (the artist, polisse, intouchables) and I think it's probably the first time in a decade I'm saying this.
maroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 18:11:15   #11
Venom
Look out behind you!

X-Men was good. Transformers was not all bad. Better than the other 2, which is admittedly like saying syphilis is better than herpes and AIDS, but still...it is.

Captain America was ok, but not great. Better than Thor which was good for about 5 minutes and then really dumb.

Green Hornet, dumb but not bad. The Eagle, retarded. Horrible Bosses, funnier than I thought it would be. Green Latern, diarrhea flavored, rotten meat. Bridesmaid, funniest chick flick ever made. Rango, watched it on a airplane, ate up part of the flight time well enough. Sherlock Holmes, brainless but dramatically actiony....or is that actionally dramatic? Friends with benefits, tried so hard I think it shit its pants.

And at least 2 other chick flicks the wife made me watch that were so awful my brain has blocked out the memory. Thank God.

Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 18:15:24   #12
Venom
Look out behind you!

Oh and Harry Potter was so fucking boring that watching it in 3D, I kept trying to put my face in front of all the flying objects hoping they would knock me out. To no avail.

Also, wanted to see Cowboys and Aliens until I heard it sucked. Still want to see Mission Impossible and the Adventures of Tin Tin and Attack the Block and Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Old 04-01-2012, 22:45:48   #13
mr_B
me happy

X-Men: First Class
Moneyball
The Adventures of Tintin
Hanna
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
The source code
Crazy stupid love
The Help
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Eagle
Drive
Old 05-01-2012, 08:23:39   #14
Funko
Pubs Minister

Green Hornet is coming on Sky Movies next week.
Old 05-01-2012, 14:38:34   #15
maroule
Intermittent du spectacle

green hornet was a letdown, I some some hopes on it and they died pretty quickly... it just never took off... as often, the best part of the movie was the trailer

Rise of the planet of the ape was, on the other hand, surprisingly entertaining

Paul was ok, nothing to write home about. Aparently "attack the block" is better, haven't seen it, and "super" is supposed to be good as well
maroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 17:54:39   #16
Venom
Look out behind you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funko View Post
Green Hornet is coming on Sky Movies next week.
It's watchable, but I wouldn't pay for it. So waiting for it to come on TV is probably right.

Old 06-01-2012, 22:24:36   #17
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

It was OK, it only costs me 2.15 to see movies anyway...
Old 07-01-2012, 10:36:23   #18
Funko
Pubs Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroule View Post
Paul was ok, nothing to write home about.
Nothing to phone home about. Eh?

You see what I did there.
Old 07-01-2012, 13:27:44   #19
Fistandantilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Oh and Harry Potter was so fucking boring that watching it in 3D, I kept trying to put my face in front of all the flying objects hoping they would knock me out. To no avail.

I agree with Maroule on The Artist, I tried to hate it due to its frenchness but I couldn't in the end.
Fistandantilus is offline   Reply With Quote