Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Games

Old 28-03-2011, 08:22:13   #1
maroule
Intermittent du spectacle

Shogun Total War

I actually didn't wan't to buy it, I've had it up to here with Empire (even though Napoleon was better, because much more focused).

But I still did, now that I've finsihed DA2 and.... it's surprisingly good! It's superb, very atmospheric, and the AI is much improved... I still find some flaws (in battles, the troops move way too quickly, as usual, these guys carry armors and weapons but sprint like Usain Bolt over kilometers / there's a bit of a feel of rushing), but I'm having a blast... I lost the 2 campaigns pretty quickly, which hadn't happen in a TW game since... probably the first Shogun. And I think I lost because of some strategic mistakes (namely rushing on trade / committing too many ressources on it too early) rather than the AI cheating (or at least too visibly).

The way to "role play" your agents (and specifically your generals) is very good; you picks his skills and retainers, as well as his charges... you get really attached to them (plus they die easily is you charge them too much)

it's the first time for a couple of years I'm really looking forward to playing it (as in "I'm sitting at my desk bored and eagerly anticipating coming back home, putting the kids to bed and playing it" kind of feeling)
maroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 10:49:04   #2
Fistandantilus

Yeah it got excellent reviews pretty much everywhere.
Fistandantilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:40:40   #3
maroule

10 days of playing it later, I can say there are minor annoyances (like getting trade agreements) but that's really nothing compared to the quality of this game.

This is very clearly the best TW game, by a distance. Absolutely must buy for PC strategy gamers.
Old 08-04-2011, 13:04:56   #4
Fistandantilus

Better than Rome?
Fistandantilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 14:48:23   #5
maroule

Rome was the last apex before the fall of this gigantic mess Empire was, and it was a fanstatic game (especially with the mods), but the AI sucked beyond measure

in Shogun, you have 10 years of work more on it, and a much more focus / easier to handle for the AI terrain => Japan is mostly a corridor, so the AI fucks up a lot less, and sometimes even does things that make strategic sense (it's a master at cutting your trade lines)

plus it's fucking gourgeous

I much prefer the Roman period, but I have to say Shogun is clearly a much better game, in every dimension (except the sense of scale, of course)
Old 17-04-2011, 15:21:20   #6
Beta1
[works only in german, sorry]

finally got to play this.

Its very good - and I actually liked empire!

Finding it very hard to get my head around the opening plays though - AI has wiped the floor with me on the strategic level several times now.