Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Games

Old 16-08-2010, 21:32:11   #1
MDA

Location: updated his email address and can look but not post
Sword of the Stars

Anyone have anything to say about this one?

It somehow passed me by, but there's a bundle pack with all the expansions available from Impulse/Stardock for about 30 bucks. Not sure if it's worth it if it stayed off my radar for 4 years.
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 07:31:16   #2
Beta1
[works only in german, sorry]

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/sw...critic-reviews

Metacritic rates it fairly well.
Old 17-08-2010, 09:03:49   #3
Greg W
This title intentionally left blank

I believe they're bringing out v2 soon? Think I saw something about that on the Paradox forums. Haven't played it myself though.
Old 19-08-2010, 12:10:17   #4
MDA

I ended up trying it. It's far more difficult to get a handle on than GalCiv2 or Moo2 but I like it so far. Tactical combat is really fun, you can even (and often should) target individual weapons and other systems on a single enemy ship.

Definitely an aggressive slug-fest more than a peaceful builder's game. Even if you can keep the AI teams off your back, random events will start occurring to keep the action going. Took me a few games to realize that colonizing a world with multiple colony ships was both possible and necessary to prevent your economy from collapsing while you terraform and build infrastructure.

Last night, after finally surviving the early game, I was really irritated by my inability to recognize which of an attacking enemy fleet's ships were command ships, which are important targets since their destruction limits the number of units the enemy can field at one time. Very realistic, but frustrating after getting my ass handed to me early in the first four games.

Now I have to learn how to go on the offensive, because I'm definitely not good at that. I haven't successfully assaulted a single inhabited world.
Old 20-08-2010, 12:17:48   #5
MDA

Got a few more turns in. Found two inhabitable systems with irritating ancient alien derelicts in them with still-active automated defenses. Had to spend a lot of turns plinking away at them from range before I could settle. I'll probably reload and send all my combat ships to one of those systems instead of splitting them, settling one at a time. There's no AI activity anywhere near them, I have pickets all over keeping an eye out. Interesting game. Tech almost needs to be researched reactively, with econ/efficiency techs researched in between "need a better weapon/armor" moments. Doing weapons/armors ahead of time can turn out to be a waste if you do something like research reflective armor and the next guy you come across favors kinetic weapons.
Old 20-08-2010, 13:44:14   #6
maroule
Intermittent du spectacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA View Post

Definitely an aggressive slug-fest more than a peaceful builder's game. .
title is kind of a give away no?

I'll have a look, it's been foreever I haven't enjoyed a good galactic 4x
maroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 13:47:03   #7
MDA

Yeah, I guess it is

Good economy/infrastructure is still important, but you can't neglect crushing your neighbors and expect to last.