Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Games

Old 16-08-2010, 11:53:17   #1
JM^3
colossal bender

Elemental

Anyone looking in on this?

I actually really like the company Stardock, played and enjoyed GC2 (But was long after my MOO2 days), and am interested in this. Might need to get a Windows machine to work for it.

http://www.elementalgame.com/gameplay

Looks like MOM but more strategic (and RP?) elements.

JM
Old 16-08-2010, 12:04:46   #2
MDA

Location: updated his email address and can look but not post
Played GC2 yesterday.

MoM/Civ and HoMM/Age of Wonders blended together?

Stardock's Impulse runs slow as molasses on both of my computers, but I do use it occasionally.

Last edited by MDA; 16-08-2010 at 12:07:01.
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 12:19:05   #3
Beta1
[works only in german, sorry]

Looks interesting - I had an old laptop on holiday and found GC1 on it!
Old 16-08-2010, 17:25:07   #4
MDA

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/07/29/el...-nerdy-hearts/

Funny intro sequence for the beta.
Old 24-08-2010, 11:35:06   #5
MDA

Bought the download version and got the unpatched version a day early. Only noticed a couple of bugs in tactical combat, and that the interface is kinda clunky. Had one CTD in about 2 hours of play. The campaign is just OK, I don't think it's meant to be a challenge because things aren't actively coming after me, but the only enemies I've seen are random beasts and quest-type monster spawns. I'm probably about to run into the real bad guys from that "other" continent that are whipping up all the local critters into a frenzy. Seems to be tutorial as much as a campaign, and also a bit of a demo on what modding can do.

Was prompted to download the release day patch last night, today was supposed to be retail release, but I think one of the retailers screwed it up. I'm hoping the patch fixes the clunk issues, and maybe the reproducible lockup my archers can cause in tactical combat.

I can see something brilliant underneath it all, but it needs a lot of polish if it's going to shine. They do seem to take ownership of their games and continue developing them after release (particularly enemy AI), so I expect some clear improvement.

If you're into fancy graphics, you won't find them here. They've got some style, but no glitz. They work fine for me . I particularly like the zoomed-out "cloth map" version of the world map.

Forum complaints:

bad map generation, maps are balanced, but they get a lot of repeating maps because of how the "random" maps are seeded. I've only done the early campaign.

Lots of spells, but spells of different schools have a different graphic and do exactly the same thing, so in gaming terms, not lots. There's little reason to learn more than one school of spells, because there are few unique spells in a school (I'm not far enough along to know, but I do like my AoE fire spell, it splatters a 3x3 box with a descending column of fire and some nice smoke effects. Did I say the graphics weren't fancy?). I do wonder if there's a hidden spell school resistance or if everything is just down to armor.

Last edited by MDA; 24-08-2010 at 11:37:34.
Old 24-08-2010, 18:30:41   #6
MDA

Another patch will be released today.

Maybe, just maybe I should have waited a week before buying it. Stardock titles are kind of like going to the movies. You can read what the critics write and watch trailers, but there's still some uncertainty about how good/bad it is until you see it.

Except you're seeing the unedited version first... then the final version. I guess I see fun in watching a game develop as much as games themselves.
Old 25-08-2010, 01:48:07   #7
Greg W
This title intentionally left blank

Paradox games have been that way since pretty much day 1...
Old 25-08-2010, 17:30:35   #8
MDA

General consensus on the internet now seems to be "wait and buy it when they finally finish it"

This Gamer's Bill of Rights Revoked thing is pretty corporate-funny:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010...ill-of-rights/

I played a good three hours last night with the 1.01 patch and noticed no problems other than the AI just wasn't that aggressive. I was playing Normal difficulty though, so I expected it to be similar to GalCiv2's Normal, where the AI isn't particularly aggressive (at least not across the board, there's always a faction or two that come after you).

My only gripe from last night was that I don't think I saw a single new spell at levels 4-7 of research. A tech tree or other explanation as to why none were available would be nice. So, biggest gripe, missing documentation of game mechanics. Maybe I'm missing it in-game somehow, because there's VERY little in the manual.

Last edited by MDA; 25-08-2010 at 17:35:00.
Old 26-08-2010, 12:09:54   #9
MDA

Patched to 1.05 and played from about 7 to 11 pm, JOMTs. Ran into an aggressive faction that had a huge army and -9000 gold last night. Not nice! Fortunately I got a few peace declarations by my proposing peace in exchange for some of his negative gold (which cost me nothing, but the game interprets as him receiving money) long enough to build a couple of units and kill his leader, who was foolish enough to cross my border, with a large but comparatively ill-equipped army, where he could be perma-killed (Normal AI is maybe not supposed to be smart).

There's another faction now that has 3/4 of the power graph but I haven't met them yet. I'm thinking it's another bugged -gold faction.

Very reminiscient of MoM, both in good and bad ways. Here's hoping they continue to support it as they have other games. I don't think I can recommend it anymore in its current state, despite the fact I enjoy it. It's not unplayable, but there are some big problems. If you love fantasy 4X, it's worth a peek, and the drama over support and the state of the game is interesting.

MP goes live next week, so I'm hoping things patch for the better soon after that.
Old 26-08-2010, 13:50:37   #10
Fistandantilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA View Post
Very reminiscient of MoM, both in good and bad ways.
Bad? such as?
Fistandantilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 13:52:31   #11
JM^3
colossal bender

MoM was always really broken.

A lot of fun, but really broken.

JM
Old 26-08-2010, 14:24:25   #12
MDA

yeah, bad as in bugs - not completely broken CTD stuff (although that's happened twice in three days, but I could always continue fine from autosave), but often annoying

I have to have my leader step outside a city to cast a city spell or perform a summons, there's the negative treasury thing the AI had last night, sometimes it's difficult to shift-click to select multiple units because after you select the first one the cursor drifts slowly to the right, gameplay mechanics that are unclear, the tech tree has poor explanations of the effects of what you research, etc., etc. Weapons and accessories aren't clearly explained for unit creation. Quirks, bugs, and lack of polish that would put off a casual gamer pretty quickly. A Flash Tech tree with interactive techs would be a godsend, even if you had to access it from outside the game.

Disclaimer: I keep starting over after patches, so I have yet to finish a sandbox game, although I did finish the campaign in v1.05
Old 26-08-2010, 16:39:51   #13
Fistandantilus

Oh ok, but there is always hope they will iron everything out
Old 26-08-2010, 17:03:14   #14
MDA

They'll probably be pretty good about that, if GalCiv2 is any indication.

We could have Venom write a blistering review: Elemental... It shot ur MoM up the @#$%
Old 26-08-2010, 17:04:22   #15
Venom
Look out behind you!

If somebody gives it to me, I'll review. But I'm not paying money for what sounds like a steaming pile of cow shit covered in whale jizz.

Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 17:08:58   #16
MDA

There might be a fifty dollar gold coin buried in the cow shit, but your point is a good one.
Old 07-09-2010, 13:57:44   #17
MDA

http://forums.elementalgame.com/395485

Interesting stuff to hear. It's unlikely to change anyone's mind at this time, unless they're still somehow "undecided" after reading all the polarizing stuff on the forums. Beats telling them to stuff and and play another game.

Played a couple of games with the latest patch and can say the AI actually fought back enough that I had to think a little. Team/Squad sized units are pretty powerful and difficult to counter without having them yourself. Might have been intended as a spear/musket/infantry/tank kind of progression, but I'm not sure the tech trees are deep enough to support that.

Last edited by MDA; 07-09-2010 at 14:11:03.
Old 07-09-2010, 14:21:27   #18
Fistandantilus

They arereleasing like two patches and an expansion in a couple of months?
Old 07-09-2010, 15:32:10   #19
MDA

They've already patched a handful of times, with another due this week (1.08), and the first major update due out by the end of September (1.1). Most of the early stuff was bugs/hardware compatibility fixes, but they're gradually working in more and more gameplay and balance adjustments.

The game is playable and generally "fun" as it is, but unpolished and unbalanced. My best guess is they shoehorned in a lot of cool stuff without spending enough time considering how well it fit with the overall vision for the game. Now they're forced (that's a loaded word) to go back and rework everything into a coherent whole. The game at release, and even in it's current state is nothing to be proud of. I'm not saying there isn't a lot of potential, but there's a lot of work to be done.

The expansion will be free if you have the game. You'll certainly get at least as much as you pay for.

I did find his statements about "no one thought it wasn't ready for release" interesting after he went on to say he would have laid people off if it wasn't ready. If you think your job is on the line if you speak up, you might be tempted to keep your mouth shut and quietly look for other job opportunities in the meantime.