Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > CounterPoint

Old 24-07-2010, 01:11:59   #1
paiktis

Shame on Australia...

Last edited by paiktis; 11-10-2010 at 18:07:39.
paiktis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 02:46:07   #2
Greg W
This title intentionally left blank

I'm not sure about the "better standing" thing, the more white they became. First I have heard of that, but it wouldn't surprise me (I haven't even heard of that movie). But the rest of it is basically true (in a completely generalised kinda way). There's a group of Aboriginals called the "stolen generation" where the authorities basically took aboriginal children away from their parents and placed them with white parents. This was basically done to try and "save" them from the problems that were then (and still pretty much are today) somewhat endemic in Aboriginal Society.

The problem is that the arrival of Europeans in Australia have completely screwed the Aborigines. I imagine in similar ways to the American Indians, though I don't know enough about them to be sure, and the Indians seem to have recovered a lot better. There are massive problems of child abuse, alcoholism and unemployment. Mostly brought about by the way they have been treated for the last 200 years. And it's not just a problem you can throw money at to solve.

Mind you, I also know that back in the 70s and earlier, often white single mothers were "persuaded" to give up their children to forced adoption by the church(es) at the time. I went out with a girl that that had happened to for a while. So it's not entirely a problem limited to the Aboriginals, we've had some pretty screwed up attitudes to anyone in the past.

And we had a formalised immigration policy called the White Australia Policy.

It's funny though, cos to me, born in 1971, we were never told any of this, especially not in school. And not by my parents either. It's something you have to discover for yourself. I guess that, like most governments, they tend to cover things up. It was only in the last 3-4 years that our ex-PM, Kevin Rudd formally apologised to the Aboriginals for the stolen generation and a lot more (as you can see in the Wiki article I linked at the top).

There's also a lot more than 1,500 Aboriginals left as shown on the Australian Bureau of Statistics site.

I don't know how many of those are considered to be "full blood" Aboriginals, aka they have not inter-racially bred.
Old 25-07-2010, 22:48:31   #3
paiktis

Last edited by paiktis; 11-10-2010 at 18:07:44.
paiktis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 07:49:40   #4
Nills Lagerbaak
Role Model

Rabbit proof fence...great film, and yes a scandalous part of Australian history.

"I quite like the fairies." - Funko
Nills Lagerbaak is offline   Reply With Quote