Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Games

Old 14-04-2010, 11:33:54   #51
King_Ghidra
pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

lol, this time it'll be a bash v bash grindfest. 1-0 to one of us i reckon. i won't be doing any crazy wardancer heroics and running in tds for fun this season.
King_Ghidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 11:44:55   #52
Funko
Pubs Minister

Round 1 Preview

X-Rats - the tree muggers

In most leagues a skaven vs elf tie would be a high scoring game of elegance and beauty but X-Rats coach Fist showed his brutal streak last year with the Rotten Wererats, their intensely violent approach might not have led to many touchdowns but they led the league in kills and casualties. Many fans would consider that made them championship winners.

Rookie coach illi might just be praying his players can get through the game alive. That said the wood elves did win the title last season and they could be one to watch.

beta's Blockers - Karak-Drak Frostbeards

Last years top two coaches meet in what some people are already calling a championship decider. Beta's Blockers may, technically, be the only returning side from last season but Beta1 showed his brutal streak in the off season having every player publically executed as punishment for last season and inspiration for the new team

Speculation that king_ghidra won't be able to make the transition from elves to dwarves seems misguided. He's had successful seasons previously with dwarves in other championships and the bookmakers have him as odds on to win the title for a second year.

The spread betting market for this game is all about how far the ball will get from the half way line. Our tip, buy 24 yards.

Clar Karond Ravens - Raging Storms

Coach Funko was unsurprisingly given the boot from De Verliezers after last season's fiasco which saw them have their squad devastated by injury, lose the derby against the Greensox and finish bottom of the league. Very surprising was the Clar Karond Ravens decision to hire him as coach. The fans are furious, but we're not sure they could have attracted a better coach. The job was recently described as a "poison chalice" by the CGBBL managers association spokesman Urmum Hardman.

In contrast Shakey's debut season in management saw him take 3rd place, and he was the only manager to take any points from the dominant Greensox in the game of the season. This year some are tipping him to build on that experience and move up to challenge the top two, but we think the squad might not quite have the depth.

Rest day - Da Inglourious Basterds

After last season's sensational escape from bottom place 'Lucky' MOBIUS had his pick of jobs from the more superstitious owners and he's ended up at Da Inglourious Basterds. Not sure if his players from the Bengals would consider him lucky as he seemingly sacrificed them with casual abandon. Possibly his new orc charges will be able to survive longer.

Odds:

Karak-Drak Frostbeards 11/12
beta's Blockers 6/4
Raging Storms 4/1
X-Rats 6/1
Da Inglourious Basterds 8/1
the tree muggers 10/1
Clar Karond Ravens 20/1

Last edited by Funko; 14-04-2010 at 11:57:45.
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 13:06:09   #53
Fistandantilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by illi View Post
Ok Fistand! busy this weekend, but up for a birching asap.
Non week-end days at 8 pm works best for me (except wednesdays cause I play 5 a side and I'm home later). If that's ok with you pick one and drop a notice here
Fistandantilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 13:06:33   #54
Fistandantilus

Awesome preview Funko
Old 14-04-2010, 14:12:15   #55
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Great preview, so that means I'll be comfortably mid table after week one!
Old 14-04-2010, 14:27:32   #56
Funko
Pubs Minister

Old 14-04-2010, 18:05:59   #57
The Shaker
Bag of Cabbages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funko View Post

Shakey, can you play on Sunday evening or monday evening? These are pretty much the only times I have available until after May bank holiday.
I'm allowed to play sunday.
The Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 21:50:34   #58
King_Ghidra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistandantilus View Post
Awesome preview Funko
amen
Old 15-04-2010, 09:08:03   #59
Funko
Pubs Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shaker View Post
I'm allowed to play sunday.
Brilliant. What time are you allowed to play?
Old 15-04-2010, 14:57:26   #60
Funko
Pubs Minister

I'm excited about the big game tonight.
Old 15-04-2010, 16:26:58   #61
Fistandantilus

Hopefully KG will upload the replay to let us dissect the game and enjoy some dwarf bashing
Old 15-04-2010, 17:17:26   #62
King_Ghidra

only a masochist would sit through chaos v dwarves

wait i forgot, you coach skaven
Old 15-04-2010, 21:11:46   #63
Beta1
[works only in german, sorry]

The big Thursday night match

Seriously exciting game - lots of violence (mostly dished out by the dwarfs), lots of running and dodging (BM are the new Elf runners), 2 BM actually picked up the ball in one game. I even attempted a pass!

First half - I kicked, I got beaten up, KG made mistakes and I picked up and scored.

2nd drive, - I kicked, I got beaten up, KG made more mistakes and I mugged his ball carrier and scored.

2nd half - I received, I got beaten up some more, I made a rather ambitous attempt at a pass, dropped the ball, got beaten up and then the network dropped.

2-0 up to me but 4 players down with a loose ball and 7 turns to go....

The connection through the hamachi was seriously buggy all the way through, lots of juddering and lots of disconnect countdowns. We nearly gave up in the first half after a player took 30sec to move one square.

Before we replay this match we would like to see what you guys find - the game was barely playable.
Old 15-04-2010, 23:22:52   #64
Fistandantilus

Awwww, that's bad
Old 15-04-2010, 23:54:40   #65
MDA

Location: updated his email address and can look but not post
there's nothing bad about the part where Ghidra was finally losing!
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 08:06:40   #66
Funko
Pubs Minister

Damn. Annoying because the test run we did was really quick and easy.

We can try Direct-IP without Hamachi too.
Old 16-04-2010, 11:16:53   #67
King_Ghidra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta1 View Post
KG made mistakes
[...]
KG made more mistakes
*Ahem*

In the first instance I got raped by skulls on a crucial block and then you didn't fail anything crucial you needed on your pickup and dodges.

In the second I mis-clicked at an absolutely crucial moment thanks to the bullshit lag

The fact that there was a competitive game at all at the time of the drop was down to luck flipping my way on some armour and kickoff rolls.

Either way, it was a joke because of lag issues (e.g. both of us starting the match without being able to set our teams up properly) and i really didn't think we'd even make it through the first half. Not enjoyable on any level.
Old 16-04-2010, 11:34:16   #68
Funko
Pubs Minister

Old 16-04-2010, 11:59:33   #69
Fistandantilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Ghidra View Post
*Ahem*

<excuses>
You're nothing but a lot of talk and a badge KG

I'm looking forward to a lot of injured dwarves this season.
Old 16-04-2010, 12:22:36   #70
King_Ghidra

Before the first half was over both beta and i were wishing we had picked different races

Dwarves have a great many assets but positionally they're on a razor's edge. You can't recover from any slips, unlike say, having an MA 8 blodger to run around the field helping where they like.

Not that this was news to me, but i got a bloody good reminder last night.
Old 16-04-2010, 13:55:17   #71
illi
Registered Luser

Post Gameday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistandantilus View Post
Non week-end days at 8 pm works best for me (except wednesdays cause I play 5 a side and I'm home later). If that's ok with you pick one and drop a notice here
How about next Tues 20th?
illi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 14:12:15   #72
Beta1
[works only in german, sorry]

Quote:
*Ahem*

In the first instance I got raped by skulls on a crucial block and then you didn't fail anything crucial you needed on your pickup and dodges.

In the second I mis-clicked at an absolutely crucial moment thanks to the bullshit lag

The fact that there was a competitive game at all at the time of the drop was down to luck flipping my way on some armour and kickoff rolls.

Either way, it was a joke because of lag issues (e.g. both of us starting the match without being able to set our teams up properly) and i really didn't think we'd even make it through the first half. Not enjoyable on any level.
Nothing to do with the fact that for the first one you left one side of the pitch guarded by a single dwarf who got blitzed by a CW allowing him and two BM to swarm your ball carrier?

Or on the second one where you put so many players on the LOS that despite being 2 men down I could walk 3 BM round the line and threaten the ball carrier?

Admitedly I did have some nice rolls on the pickups but I had plenty of Rerolls in hand
Old 16-04-2010, 14:12:42   #73
Fistandantilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by illi View Post
How about next Tues 20th?
Deal

Let's hope we'll have less net problems than those bashy teams.
Old 16-04-2010, 14:30:51   #74
Funko
Pubs Minister

After last weeks aborted attempt to kick the league off the war of words between Blocker's coach Beta and king_ghidra has really hotted up this week.
Old 16-04-2010, 15:25:08   #75
King_Ghidra

Quote:
Nothing to do with the fact that for the first one you left one side of the pitch guarded by a single dwarf who got blitzed by a CW allowing him and two BM to swarm your ball carrier?
Only one player was pushing it a bit for me, but you needed a knockdown to make anything happen, i.e. a 5 or 6 on your two dice block. on a skull, push or double knockdown you wouldn't have achieved anything and could have had your turn ended. Not only that but it then took you a further two GFI to make contact with my ball carrier. All told that was a large number of rolls needed just to make contact with my ball carrier, no more. I thought it was a risky move on your part, as i had clear field on the left side of the pitch, but it came off.

Quote:
Or on the second one where you put so many players on the LOS that despite being 2 men down I could walk 3 BM round the line and threaten the ball carrier?
But they weren't even in contact. So had i not suffered my misclick i had an easy run and short throw to the left side of the pitch where i had a blitzer about to be freed up and clear field ahead of me. Your 'threatening' players would have been miles behind the play even if the throw failed. We never got to see how that would have played out, sadly.

Last edited by King_Ghidra; 17-04-2010 at 10:32:00.
Old 16-04-2010, 16:11:14   #76
Funko
Pubs Minister

Mind games from Shaker: "yeah..i hate hummies..i hope you kill them all"
Old 18-04-2010, 21:08:32   #77
Funko
Pubs Minister

Shakey and I completed a match... a good game. 2-0 to the Clar Karond Ravens (not to get carried away, I beat a human team first game last league and ended bottom).

Dark elves vs starter humans I think you have an advantage as the elves. Things generally went my way, whole series of blocks where I always had a defender down to pick, even with no re-rolls.

First half I received, ground a gap in his line and ran in a td about turn 4. He came back strong but I held him off, 1-0 at half time.

Second half started with a pitch invasion. I was left with 3 men standing, he had 4 or 5 (but was a man down anyway) cue a desperate defensive scramble. He took advantage well and had a man who could sprint 2 squares to score... and as we all know, 100% of the time that second sprint ends with the man falling over. Which he did. I got the ball and took advantage of the utter disarray on the pitch to run the length of the field to score on the last turn. No injuries, a couple of knockouts... full stats on the league page!
Old 18-04-2010, 21:10:18   #78
Funko
Pubs Minister

Shakey had a bit of lag, there were a few times the connection nearly dropped, but generally I found it much better than the Cyanide server. Think it was worse for Shakey than me, but he was hosting.
Old 18-04-2010, 21:12:27   #79
Funko
Pubs Minister

Interesting stats. No passes or casualties in the game.
Old 18-04-2010, 21:24:36   #80
The Shaker
Bag of Cabbages

Fair result for Mike.
He beat a hole in my defence and scored first up.
My attempt to fluke a return goal failed miserable.
Went for a piss after kicking off at half time, returned to see everyone laying on the ground.
Didn't manage to get quite as far as I'd liked before his payers got up...eventually decided to run in the 2-go-for-it TD when it appeared..and failed...DAMN YOU viscount...I demote you to ...knight.

Mike picked up, and ran the carnage well...and safe. 2-0 Final turn and well deserved. I never felt I had the possession to justify anything else. Hummies seem a lot harder than Orcs...I kept getting surprised at the lack of 2D blocks. But they can throw and pass. We may be retreating to an outland retreat to practice before the next match.
Old 18-04-2010, 21:32:36   #81
Fistandantilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funko View Post
Interesting stats. No passes or casualties in the game.
Disgusting.
Old 18-04-2010, 21:43:29   #82
The Shaker
Bag of Cabbages

No completed passes anyway....a couple of hand-offs and several failed random throws.
Old 19-04-2010, 07:51:49   #83
Funko
Pubs Minister

Yeah, I managed to get the ball in turn 7 and tried a long pass into the end zone on turn 8 that fumbled, did give Shakey a very long shot at being able to score on the last turn, probably shouldn't have risked it but he'd have needed a lot of successful rolls without re-rolls. In the end failed to pick up.
Old 19-04-2010, 08:15:19   #84
Funko
Pubs Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shaker View Post
Hummies seem a lot harder than Orcs...I kept getting surprised at the lack of 2D blocks.
I'd say this is definitely true, starter humans are very hard to play. You should definitely utilize the gang foul.

Picking a more sensible starting roster for my Dark Elves has made a great difference. No more pointless assassin, only one runner and although I miss the witch elf, the extra blitzer is great.
Old 19-04-2010, 08:16:17   #85
Funko
Pubs Minister

Oh and my brilliantly brilliant luck with money continued. Managed to get the minimum 20k again (I had 30k and re-rolled it...)
Old 19-04-2010, 09:39:00   #86
Fistandantilus

Hmm I can't access http://bloodbowldigital.com now, is it just me?
Old 19-04-2010, 09:55:19   #87
Funko
Pubs Minister

I can't either.
Old 19-04-2010, 16:11:18   #88
The Shaker
Bag of Cabbages

works now
Old 19-04-2010, 16:18:46   #89
Funko
Pubs Minister

Ah, I can go back to staring at the league table. Making the most of being top...
Old 19-04-2010, 16:41:08   #90
The Shaker
Bag of Cabbages

I'll go and stare at that massive wad of cash I picked up for throwing the game.
Old 20-04-2010, 19:10:09   #91
Fistandantilus

Uhm, illi I see you online on Hamachi but you didn't reply, let me know here if there are any problems
Old 20-04-2010, 22:48:36   #92
Fistandantilus

X-Rats 5 - 0 the tree muggers

The game started in an amusing way cause I think every single one of the first 5 turns ended with a turnover
I was rerolling into double-skulls and illi missing a pass, then I was fumbling the ball and he failing a dodge.. and so on. Crazy stuff, never seen such a streak of bad luck on both ends.

In the end tho, I think he payed the price of inexperience as he really played a too aggressive and risky blood bowl game imho and the all or nothing approach didn't pay off.
I thought I was one of those who have the riskiest (sp?) play style here but I got beaten tonite

Toreyl completed three passes for a grand total of 56 yards!! but also threw an incomplete pass and two costly interceptions which I was able to capitalize and turn into TDs. Hadn't them been intercepted the tree muggers would have had some exciting TDs to show off but nuffle decided otherwise.

Oh, and to remind everyone that Skaven are a really a bashy team Colossus broke an elven neck with joy while picking up the only CAS of the match.

On the connection part illi was hosting and I think I lost connection for a few seconds three times but nothing serious and the game wasn't laggy on my end so I guess all went well.

Thanks to illi for the game and good luck for the rest of the tourny
Old 21-04-2010, 08:50:21   #93
illi
Registered Luser

May I congratulate the X-Rats on their stunning uniforms! Those guys look GREAT in purple, and it was Rats against boys I'm afraid! Sorry about the delayed start wow did I get into a pickle with stuff. The acting coach of the Buggerers was 'Player Name', I can confirm he has tended his resignation, though he may assert [to preserve a semblance of dignity, which he never possessed] he is currently unaware of this.
Old 21-04-2010, 09:14:03   #94
King_Ghidra

wow. grats fist.

Well beta i guess we try again. i can do most times so pick a date. and you can host this time.
Old 21-04-2010, 09:44:41   #95
illi
Registered Luser

Hmmn too much footy watching on tv obviously, only Cockney pundits discuss geezers who've 'tended' their resignations...
Old 21-04-2010, 10:31:43   #96
King_Ghidra

just use the edit function next time and no one will be the wiser
Old 21-04-2010, 10:33:07   #97
Funko
Pubs Minister

Quote:
wow. grats fist.

Well beta i guess we try again. i can do most times so pick a date. and you can host this time.
You can always try doing Direct-IP without Hamachi, and see if that's better at this point it isn't doing much other than giving you an easy way to get your IP address I think (assuming you have the port forwarding set on your routers anyway...)
Old 21-04-2010, 10:36:09   #98
Funko
Pubs Minister

Tough to play your first game of MP blood bowl in a tournament like this illi!

You're my next opponent but I'm supposed to be flying to San Francisco on Friday so don't think I'll be able to play until the week of the Bank Holiday Monday on the 3rd May (sorry everyone!).
Old 21-04-2010, 10:37:31   #99
Funko
Pubs Minister

BTW. Everyone remember they have to download their team every game, even if you haven't updated anyone, it updates the stats after each game.
Old 21-04-2010, 10:38:47   #100
Funko
Pubs Minister

Despite that huge victory by the X-Rats Ravens superstar Adeda Icegrin still sits atop the running and TD charts and Toreyl from the tree muggers completed 3 passes, impressive.