Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Games

Old 20-07-2010, 00:16:43   #551
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

In the last game of the season the Inglourious Basterds were desperate to finally show the rest of the league what they were capable of...

The Basterds received the ball and started to pound at the line with the newly recruited Troll #13 being put to use in the trenches, but to little initial effect.

Esiasun was forced to field the ball to the left edge of the pitch with Orkosinko running cover.

The Raging Storms were able to overload the Basterds defence on Esiasun's side with at least one successful block, and a Storms player was able to penetrate into the backfield on the right hand side of the field.

Some cunning cross blocking play was able to release a blitzing Sedrik Bentsun into the Storms' backfield, with Esiasun tracking across field to throw a perfect pass into his awaiting arms and only the human thrower to beat...

The Storms were able to extricate a couple of players out of Orcish tackle zones to set up a three man blitz onto the indomitable Bentsun - who dug in and 'weathered the Storms' by badly hurting the advancing human in the ensuing block. At this turnover, supporting Orcish players were able to sweep aside the remaining human defenders to allow Bentsun into the end zone!

Basterds 1; Storms 0

The Basterds kick off and pin the Storms into the extreme corner of the pitch, from where the ball is advanced out. An unlucky trip by a human catcher allow a long range blitz by Fascist and Spikz, knocking the ball from the human thrower's hands - though Fascist, pro that he's supposed to be, fumbles the ball not once but twice. Immediately another human tracking back is tackled by the svelte form of a lumbering Black Orc. Fascist is able to spare his blushes by trundling in for the TD!

Basterds 2; Storms 0

The Basterds kick off again and in the dying seconds the humans are able to thread a pass through the Orcish defence to an awaiting catcher with nothing between him and the end zone apart from the small matter of the time running out for half-time!

The Basterds kick off again and the humans are again able to penetrate the Orcish lines with their catchers, this time however the pass is fumbled deep inside Storms' territory and Orcish blitzers surge forward to recover the ball...

There now follows perhaps the most unlikely and crazy passage of play any of the spectators have ever seen as...

Somehow the human thrower is able to recover the ball, but is quickly surrounded by Orcs and the ball is knocked free into the awaiting arms of the Orcs - with a bizarre spectacle of Orc pinball as the spilled ball bounces to and fro between Bentsun and Fascist at least six times before finally coming to rest on the field virtually next to the end zone...

Now the Orcs have a seemingly simple formality of picking up the ball and marching it into the endzone...

Trusting the pro skills of J.P. Fascist, the ball is picked up but spills from his grasp from both a failed pro roll and a failed reroll - resulting in a turnover!

The human thrower, scarcely able to believe his luck, scoops up the errant ball, marches almost back to the line of scrimmage and throws a long pass high above the oncoming Orcish pass blockers! But wait - THE PASS IS INCOMPLETE - bouncing harmlessly next to the catcher way downfield AND INTO HIS ARMS!!!

Borholt Jolted was then able to score the easiest TD of his life, as all around the stadium marvel at the will of Nuffle...!

Basterds 2; Storms 1

Could a shock turnaround be on the cards...?

Certainly the Basterds kick off return was marred by a pitch invasion - though someone forgot to tell the over exuberant fans that they should be hurting the opposition and not their own players...!

The invasion left the ball on the far left of the field and near the line of scrimmage, with the Storms entire defence on that side stunned - but also with Esiasun far away in the backfield.

The Orcs elected to blitz the gaping hole in the humans defence deep into the backfield and blocking more humans to the ground. It was also at this time that the last three of 5 human casualties occurred in quick succession - this time by Orcish hand, instead of self-inflicted - taking their toll on an already depleted Storms defence...

Boomer Esiasun then decided to go for it not once, but twice, with no remaining rerolls and successfully launch a perfect pass into the waiting arms of Bentsun, who was able to score fairly easily two turns later...

Final Score: Basterds 3; Storms 1

Old 20-07-2010, 07:43:19   #552
Funko
Pubs Minister

So, just one game to go!
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 08:54:47   #553
illi
Registered Luser

And it will (should) take place from 8pm Thursday. Doubtless the doubters have it wrong and the result will be in doubt until the last redoubtable effort, no diggety.
illi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 11:07:02   #554
Funko
Pubs Minister

Interesting that my blitzers with +1 MA are the only stat increases we've had so far!
Old 20-07-2010, 12:40:05   #555
illi
Registered Luser

Actually Funko, my players had increases in several stats, including GIV, FUM, DRP, SNZ, DOP, and FAL.
Old 20-07-2010, 12:41:14   #556
Funko
Pubs Minister

Old 20-07-2010, 13:04:07   #557
King_Ghidra
pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

King_Ghidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 20:55:59   #558
Beta1
[works only in german, sorry]

This is brutal illi is 4 CAS 1 KO down before the end of the first half
Old 22-07-2010, 21:09:50   #559
Funko
Pubs Minister

Ouch, his season really is a nightmare
Old 22-07-2010, 21:17:47   #560
Beta1

2-0 and 6 elves out of play still 4 turns left
Old 22-07-2010, 21:47:00   #561
Beta1

3-0, lost track of the casualties but illi only had 3 on the pitch at the end. 6 players levelled up, TV now a ridiculous 1450 even after firing one player.

Season 3 players will be pleased to know I havn't gone for claw/might blow yet.

Quick match summary - Illi recieved, and retreated into his own half. I slung a double line across the pitch and waited while my minotaur went in to kick some elves around.
After a couple of turns of trying to dodge through my line near the edge and getting plastered into the crowd (but not failing armor rolls) Illi's luck ran out and he had 5 players down hurt/Koed in 2 turns. The blockers rumbled up the pitch and walked in on the last turn of the half.

Second half Illi was always over streched and the massive number of 2D blocks going in (+ some more players frenzied into the crowd), kept racking up the CAS count giving me another TD with 4 turns left.

Last drive of the match Illi recieves and tries to force runners through, outnumbered with massive overlapping tackle zones they all end up on the floor, 5 BM and the mino sweep through towards the ball carrier who attempts to dodge pass but is tackled. Last 3 turns are blatent SPP farming with 2 passes going in to level up 2 BM and a TD for a third.

yes you heard right - Chaos made 2 successfull passes!

Last edited by Beta1; 22-07-2010 at 21:52:07.
Beta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 07:46:33   #562
Funko
Pubs Minister

Shit a Beastman with +1 Strength.
Old 23-07-2010, 07:59:41   #563
Fistandantilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funko View Post
Ouch, his season really is a nightmare
Does not surpise me why people quit
Fistandantilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 08:03:41   #564
Funko
Pubs Minister

No, not at all.
Old 23-07-2010, 08:27:09   #565
Beta1

Quote:
Shit a Beastman with +1 Strength.
YUP

Thats makes 4 CW, 1 mino and a BM all with STR 4 or better.
Old 23-07-2010, 08:45:49   #566
King_Ghidra

Well, with all due respect to Illi, who is a nice person, he does not know how to play Blood Bowl well, and he has a team which is extremely vulnerable when not played well.

I worry somewhat for new players who join us, because not only will they be overcoming a skill gap, but the inducements system as implemented is not going to do them any favours either.

As much as i like the continuity, development and lore element of continuing with our teams, i wonder if it sets up an unavoidable cycle of punishment for newbs. If we had more players i would actually suggest a tier system, separating the high and low tv teams.

I dunno, perhaps there's some other solution. Perhaps we play the high tv teams against each other in a cup or something alongside the league. Some way of keeping them going without raping newbs. Or we make a TV cap or something. I don't know.
Old 23-07-2010, 08:48:49   #567
King_Ghidra

At the very least people need some help to not fuck their teams up with a) their initial composition, and b) their skill choices.

You might as well play against the AI if you're facing elves with 1 reroll, and diving catch or strip ball on a lineman.
Old 23-07-2010, 10:44:05   #568
Funko
Pubs Minister

Agree with all that. The TV gap with new teams will probably be so huge that actually they can get quite a lot of advantage, even buying by the 100k.
Old 23-07-2010, 10:44:48   #569
Funko
Pubs Minister

How about the new players have a mini-league in August when Fist's away before joining season 3?
Old 23-07-2010, 10:45:30   #570
Funko
Pubs Minister

And we definitely give help on composition (although the threads on the blood bowl forum are very good for basic overviews of initial team selections and skill choices)
Old 23-07-2010, 11:12:01   #571
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Do I still count as a new player...?

I must admit that Orcs are a perfect new player team - especially after my experiences with Humans!

Anyway, I think Illi's main issue with the game is mainly the tech side - both of us were surprised with the spec requirements for the game considering it's just a board game and I know he's had real issues with his machine over it. Mine works, though apparently it shouldn't...

Anyway, I think I've learned most of the major lessons to be learned playing real players and the best thing with Orcs is that I've come through unscathed with what should be a pretty competitive team for next season - could do with at least another reroll though.

Last edited by MOBIUS; 23-07-2010 at 11:14:11.
MOBIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 11:13:37   #572
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Quote:
And we definitely give help on composition (although the threads on the blood bowl forum are very good for basic overviews of initial team selections and skill choices)
Yeah, I should be good at telling people what not to do!
Old 23-07-2010, 11:57:45   #573
Funko
Pubs Minister

Yeah, Blood Bowl is a great game, the computer version is, in many ways, a pile of shit, but still fun because the underlying game is so good.
Old 23-07-2010, 12:03:24   #574
Beta1

The current TV gap from a new team to one of the established teams (1450) would give that player a Star player, Poss even Morg 'n' Thorg. Does even things up a little.

Agree that any new players need someone to hold their hand to start with.

TV cap is not a bad idea. Is there anyway to setup a new team with say 1100 points rather than 1000?
Old 23-07-2010, 12:11:55   #575
Funko
Pubs Minister

Not really. I think having a short newbie league might be a good solution.
Old 23-07-2010, 15:43:51   #576
illi
Registered Luser

Chaps! Perhaps I might be permitted to join the Newbie League, to either give the newbs some crap opposition, or if it goes better for me to sort of start again, only justly relegated? Hopefully it would be a shorter season, like 2 or 3 games? Am buying a second RAM chip for the treacherous laptop, which might solve the keystroke time d e l ay is s ues I have with the game.
Old 23-07-2010, 15:50:32   #577
Funko
Pubs Minister

Definitely.

Do do we all think the Newbie league is a good idea?
Old 23-07-2010, 15:52:43   #578
MDA

Location: updated his email address and can look but not post
I was willing to jump right in and get crushed, but sure!
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 19:53:33   #579
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Sounds good to me as that way we can close some of the TV gap between the new teams and the old ones - he says, stating the obvious...