Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Games

Old 29-10-2009, 08:50:54   #1
Greg W
This title intentionally left blank

East India Company

Just picked up this game and it looks interesting. Basic premise is that you take control of one of the "East India" companies/consortiums/whatever you want to call them and build them up through trade.

Playable nations are Britain, The Netherlands, France, Portugal, Spain, The Empire (as in HRE), Denmark and Sweden. You start out with a basic ship, a captain and some money. From there, you can buy and sell trade goods throughout Africa and the East Indies.

Step 1: Take control of East India Company
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit!

There's pirates to fight, as well as the other nations and you can conquer the ports in Africa and the East Indies and make them your own. There's also an expansion released that allows you to play as a Pirate! Arrrr!

There's tactical battles between ships where you can issue orders to your ships and watch the action, or take direct control over a ship, including firing broadsides! You can board and capture ships, scuttle them or simply send them to Davey Jones' locker. Or you can auto resolve battles, but you cannot capture enemy ships that way.

Only just started playing it, but it looks like fun. Anyone else have it?

Website is here and the forums are on the Paradox forums (Europa Universalis et al, though it isn't made by Paradox, merely published by them).
Old 29-10-2009, 11:13:07   #2
MDA

Location: updated his email address and can look but not post
So, kinda like Taipan?
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 11:55:51   #3
Greg W

No idea what Taipan is. Guess I better go google it...
Old 29-10-2009, 12:13:47   #4
Greg W

Well, in a much better graphics, more options, more trade goods, more ships kinda way, "yes"...
Old 30-10-2009, 10:19:51   #5
Drekkus
The Happy Little Pee Guy

Location: They think I'm crazy. They don't know that I like it here, it's nice in here. Reputation: -984653893929276
If my graphically underperforming laptop can manage it, I might just go for this one. Relive the olden glory days of the dutch.

Spoon, it's not a swear word.

1st CG Hardcore Belt Royal Rumble Winner
Drekkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 10:49:40   #6
Greg W

After playing it for a while, it does get a little... "monotonous" I guess. Mind you, I am playing on Easy I guess. It's 1626 and I control 6 out of 12 Indian ports (and another 2 in Africa), have all but wiped out the French (no ships and -23k cash) and the Spanish (no ships, but still 200k or so cash). Wiped out (er, I mean liberated) two pirate towns and have about 3 mil in the bank. A little like Colonisation, the bottom has fallen out of the Indian goods, which are now making about half the profit they used to.

Must admit that I am not playing the tactical ship to ship battles, I just let the computer auto decide who wins. Does leave me unable to capture enemy ships and cargoes, but saves me a lot of time at the same time.