Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Games

Old 23-10-2009, 13:08:43   #1
MDA

Location: updated his email address and can look but not post
Dragon Age flash game promo

www.dragonagejourneys.com

Pretty good flash game, and marketing/promo genius.

Completing tasks in the game (and by filling out surveys) allows you to unlock free items for use in Bioware's upcoming (early November) Dragon Age: Origins game

They look like decent starter items. Nothing must-have, but useful. Nifty idea.

The flash game is huge, I played 2-3 hours and I don't seem to have gotten very far (level 4).

Was worried about EA being involved, but the word is draconian copy protection (e.g., SPORE) isn't going to be a problem.

Impulse and Steam (among many others, I imagine) will have DA: Origins available for download.
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 13:33:50   #2
Funko
Pubs Minister

Brilliantly brilliant marketing technique.
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 00:46:44   #3
JM^3
colossal bender

Is this game going to be modular like NWN/NWN2?

That is why I liked them.

JM
Old 26-10-2009, 11:28:19   #4
MDA

Turns out I was almost finished. Looks like they're releasing the flash game in stages/chapters to build up the suspense. More genius.

The game does have modding tools like the NWNs, I have no idea how useful they'll be. The intent is there, I can say that much.
Old 03-11-2009, 18:38:57   #5
MDA

Full game was released today in the US, the rest of the world apparently waits until Friday.

Reviews in general have been strong, but slightly less so on consoles.

You can get a set of custom armor to use both in this game and in the upcoming sequel to Mass Effect. They're working all the marketing angles well, they remind me of the great Disney Channel marketing machine.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:52:12   #6
Funko
Pubs Minister

considering getting this on the PS3, but might wait a bit.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:43:36   #7
MDA

played for hours last night, got through my "origin" story (enforcer for a dwarven crime lord) and the first major battle

there's a wood's witch voiced by Kate Mulgrew, and I had trouble getting past my initial "its Janeway, its Janeway!" moment

really enjoying it so far, with the minor exception that all my activated/downloadable stuff from the media blitz is unavailable until I run a fix - Impulse downloads of the game either don't have or improperly install part of the program that "checks in" with EA/Bioware to refresh what you have available to download. There was a manual fix but I had already started playing by the time it came out.
Old 04-11-2009, 13:06:48   #8
Funko
Pubs Minister

Cool. PS3 reviews are good too. Could be a Christmas present contender.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:24:40   #9
MDA

I actually had to use the command prompt to get the downloadables to work properly, I don't think I've done anything like that for a game since the days of Windows 3.11/DOS. Hell, it worked. Impulse provided the instructions and are working on a more normal fix. I got all my promo goodies.

Yesterday I killed 3 groups of bandits and a handful of rabid bears that were attacking people outside a village; threatened to hurt a priestess in the village church (packed with Templars) if she didn't release a prisoner "into my custody" (enormous brute, bet he'll be handy); got into a fight with some soldiers in a bar (their fault! can't say more without spoilers), which impressed a lowlife-turned-priestess enough that she's giving up the priestess business to join me; saved a merchant and his half-wit son; and then went off to investigate the ruins of a fortress built by my order, the Wardens, who keep the blight creatures from overrunning the world. Evidence in the fortress so far suggests Wardens are just as capable of screwing things up as anyone else. Its haunted and full of blight creatures that keep eating my dog. Did I mention I have my very own war dog?
Old 07-11-2009, 01:41:08   #10
Greg W
This title intentionally left blank

Well, bought the game yesterday, though I haven't had a chance to play it yet. Did play the flash game though, looks like they have an interesting system going there. Always good to see developers of good RPGs like Bioware.
Old 09-11-2009, 15:31:11   #11
Greg W

Well, played just up to before the first battle. Good fun so far and good to see that Bioware have kept their humour from previous games. Morrigain(?) and her mother were funny, as was persuading the jailer to give me his lunch so I could give it to his prisoner who would then give me the key that he had swallowed (and had somehow reappeared again)...

Am playing an Elven mage. Mages are fun, but seem to go OOM fairly easily. Had codes for the blood raven armour and the walking crystal dude, but not for the warden's keep. Probably worth spending a tenner on to get though.
Old 09-11-2009, 19:23:37   #12
MDA

My dwarf uses a bow, a lot. Really helps to have one to quickly take down a spellcaster. Still swinging a big axe for dirty close-up work.

Encountered a dragon, but did not engage (wisely I think).
Old 10-11-2009, 00:48:59   #13
Greg W

Yeah, I noticed during the initiation that having two guys with bows was a good thing. Especially as if you stopped as soon as you got into range of enemies, you could pull one or two of them at a time to you by using the bows. Good thing is the Mage's staff has the same range as a bow.

I am figuring that you don't mean the dragon from your dream/initiation? I definitely think that engaging that early would be a bad thing.

Oh my, first battle against an Ogre. OUCH!

Last edited by Greg W; 10-11-2009 at 01:50:26.
Greg W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 13:24:04   #14
maroule
Intermittent du spectacle

bought it from amazon uk (not out in france still, they have problems with the localisation)
can't wait to play it
maroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 13:33:38   #15
King_Ghidra
pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

L'âge Dragon.

What's the holdup??!
King_Ghidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 15:19:11   #16
MDA

yeah, ogres are another good reason to have a bow
Old 13-11-2009, 15:39:08   #17
Greg W

Yes, so I discovered the second time around. First time I just sent the three grunts up to attack. Nasty as they seem to have some AoE type attacks that just flatten everyone. Got it down to a sliver of health, but everyone died.

Second time I set the two guards back with bows, Alastair up to attack and me sitting back to heal. Worked great up until the Ogre grabbed Alistair and shook him to unconsciousness. Still managed to kill it though, which was good.

Up to Lothering now, though I haven't done anything there yet.
Old 15-11-2009, 15:07:38   #18
Greg W

Is it just me, or does this game seem to like throwing 6+ enemies at you at any one time over and over again? It's ok every now and then, but after a while, 4-5 of them wailing on your tank makes it very hard to keep up heals on him. And trying to funnel them into doorways is often an effort in frustration as they seem to be able to either wander by you or just plain push through you.

Grease + Fireball is a lethal combo, especially as they both do knockdown, but I am slowly getting the idea that one tank plus 3 mages with AoE spells would be the way to go. Or a thief in stealth mode setting traps and luring them back to you.

But the classic fighter + healer + thief + ??? combo just seems like an effort in frustration when time and time again you're fighting 6+ enemies. Great game, despite all that. Currently doing the Holy Grail... uh, I mean Urn... quest.
Old 16-11-2009, 12:29:40   #19
MDA

I go with a tanky w/shield guy, the golem, a mage, and I'm a warrior in light armor with a decent 2H weapon and wicked good bow. I've mastered the art of channeling most of the bad guys into a position where I can freeze them all solid with a cone of cold. Then the warrior types occasionally shatter them. Combat in the early game was really tough. I must have chugged down a hundred healing potions.

I also have a high level entropy spell that makes groups of enemies crazy. Its far less organized and manageable than freezing, but good fun watching them run in circles or smack their friends around.

I was disapponted by the death animations for ogres. I leaped up in the air and stabbed (stabbing motion, like with a sword) the first one I encountered through the chest, with a two handed axe. Minor nitpick, or maybe I'm just that awesome strong with an axe. Maybe I'll try it with a maul and see how that goes.
Old 16-11-2009, 12:33:42   #20
MDA

The golem was bonus material, by the way. There's a short couple of quests to get him, and he's ridiculously tough.

He turned out to be a "she", later on.

Oddly, Morrigan seems to be pretty easy to bribe/manipulate, but everything I do pisses off Alistair, my fellow Warden.
Old 16-11-2009, 15:16:16   #21
Greg W

Yeah, I am in that "early" stage now (only done Redguard(?) of the main plot quests - and there I am still doing the Holy Grail quest) and finding myself running out of potions way too often. I do have the Golem DLC but haven't looked into starting the quest yet. Right now I am using Alastair, Dog and Leliana/Morrigan. I'm playing a healing Mage, but venturing out into Fire a bit. Sounds like cold might be the way to go though, although with me and Morrigan, Fire and Ice, that could get deadly.

Alastair is easy if you play a good/sensitive type (like I am this time). He wants you to good by everyone. Morrigan, well, she wants pretty much the opposite, so I can see you getting on with only one of them. The banter between them is rather amusing though.
Old 16-11-2009, 20:01:32   #22
MDA

the flirting with her and Sten is fun for awhile too
Old 16-11-2009, 23:57:52   #23
Greg W

I never thought of that, but Sten would get on well with her, wouldn't he? It's funny too with Leliana and Alastair. I gave Leliana a few gifts, she's at about 55%, give or take. Alastair has been ribbing Leliana about how we're supposedly making cow eyes at each other and similar stuff.
Old 20-11-2009, 12:08:15   #24
MDA

I pissed Alistair off bad, and he left. He took a complete set of massive armor and an enchanted weapon and shield with him. Getting close to the end now, I think.
Old 16-12-2009, 17:03:05   #25
maroule

I finished it last WE
great great RPG, I had a blast

I played most of the game being an Arcane warrior (nice mix), with Morrigan (my love pet), Alistair (the shield master) and Leliana (bow). This combo worked well, tactics wise and role play wise.

some spell combos are indeed deadly, grease + fire, cold + fist/or the shriking air cage thing (works with shield bash) being the best

dragons: best left alone indeed

the sex is pretty ridiculous, a la Bioware. It's only in US movies or US games that people fuck with their underpants/bras on.
Old 16-12-2009, 17:25:02   #26
MDA

I'm on my second game, this time with a mage. I did mess with the dragon the second time, just to see what would happen. It was a horribly long fight and I used up a ton of potions, but I won. The trick was keeping Alistair alive and having everyone else attack from a distance.

I managed to beat Gaxkang/Unbound the second time through too, first game I simply gave up and moved on with the story. He might actually be tougher than a dragon.
Old 17-12-2009, 22:31:23   #27
Ellipsis

Typical. This game comes out and I rush to play... Baldur's Gate 2. I think I'll use the holidays to play this.
Ellipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:08:47   #28
Funko
Pubs Minister

Got this over Christmas, racked up about 14 hours as an Elf Rogue Chick really enjoying it so far. Still tons to do. Only collected my elven brethren as war buddies so far.

And everything I do pisses off Morrigan, and Alistair loves me. So I'm obviously a goody goody like Greg.
Old 04-01-2010, 15:59:50   #29
maroule

you can bring morrigan to 100/100 appreciation (and more importantly, bed her) while being a goodie... but I won't spoil the fun of letting you discover how...
Old 06-01-2010, 23:29:51   #30
MDA

Dragon Age: Awakenings expansion for DA:O, due out in March!

Happy days
Old 16-03-2010, 10:28:04   #31
Funko
Pubs Minister

There's a new mini-expansion, which turned up yesterday. Return to Ostogar. £3.99
Old 16-03-2010, 11:58:06   #32
MDA

The big expansion should be today.
Old 18-03-2010, 11:05:36   #33
MDA

Downloaded Awakenings, haven't started it.

Did Gaxkang/Unbound again last night. I still think that's the toughest fight in the game. Takes planning ahead, positioning, and careful control of your party actions throughout the fight, and it's difficult to recover if you screw up.

This time around, I caught on to the fact that traps and poisons only need one person with advanced skill to make them, but it seems anyone with the basic skill can use them. Simple thing, but I had never noticed.
Old 22-03-2010, 12:13:56   #34
MDA

Started the expansion this weekend. I'm at that part of the game where you're not sure what the bad guy is up to, and the clues only seem to suggest more possibilities instead of less. Best part of a game, really.

Much less obvious where it's going, because it's not a recurring Blight, but something entirely new. I've settled on solidifying my position as Arl and preparing for the worst, which I'm pretty sure is the right plan.

Tags
dragon age flash game