Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Games

Old 23-09-2009, 14:40:37   #1
maroule
Intermittent du spectacle

Third Age Total War

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1078

Loving it.

As the title suggest, it's a campaign built on the war of the ring.
Map is superb, factions (and units) excellent, etc. The balance is far from perfect, but they managed to create a good sense of good factions with elite units (but small number) against never ending flows of orcs with a few nasties here are there (olog hai, nazguls, cave trolls, mumakils, etc.). They turned Sauron in the pope (sort of), and he does call crusades against your cities which all bad factions respond to (mordor, saruman, orcs of the misty mountains, ruhun, harad... a lot of people, in short). A lot of the visuals are taken from the movies, and very well used (faces of generals, new traits and objects to give bonuses to generals).

As an amateur mod, it's even better than Rome Total Realism (which is saying a lot).

Having a blast as Rohan right now, after a defeat as Gondor. The Olog Hai are waltzing through my lines, and really dishing out the hurt (can't use Ents, only the elves can activate them).

You need the medieval 4 campaigns extension to run it, takes a loooong time to download. I'm playing the vanilla version, there are a lot of sub mods

I know a few fellow gamers here like the TW series, and you're maybe disapointed by the Empire TW iteration (I find it beautiful and boring myself), so it's worth checking out.
maroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 12:40:20   #2
Venom
Look out behind you!

I was toying with the idea of going out and getting Empire Total War.

The question is: Is it more Medieval Total War or Rome Total War? Because 1 sucked, and the other was awesome.

Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 13:39:04   #3
maroule

hum, you have to qualify that comparison for me to answer

it's really full medieval in terms of the core mechanisms, but without merchants and princesses, and a few other tweaks. The economy is less important, there's a lot less trading, and less opportunities to make money (you're always broke). The map is huge and traveling one end to the other (aka getting your high elves against mordor) takes forever.

The units have been fully redone (and well balanced, despite my irritation at the olog hai and the troll catapults) but it's still the main principle of every unit having a counter unit.

have a look at the units
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=255647

What's really totally different of course is the flavour. It's still removed from a genuine ME campaign, because you can't have all factions act coherently on the model of the book (without changing the AI and the diplomatic model massively, which they can't do), but it's the closest thing. Battling olog hai and uruks in the black dust plains of mordor, under a blood red sky, by launching you Eored heavy lancers and your riddermark two hands axmen is, well, a lot of fun.

Next faction, the dwarves. These little buggars have the best infantery in the game, their iron guards and dragonslayers are armoured to the teeth.
Old 24-09-2009, 13:41:24   #4
maroule

hum, I realise I answered about TATW, not about Empire.

I found Empire strangely boring, not much happening in the end. Maybe it's the period who didn't capture my imagination. I'll buy the napoleonic expansion, maybe it will rekinkle my interest.

It is an absolutely beautifull game however.
Old 24-09-2009, 14:56:55   #5
Venom
Look out behind you!

Well, I'm sure after I've played the vanilla version I'd take a shot at that mod, so good on you for explaining both.

Old 24-09-2009, 19:14:57   #6
Beta1
[works only in german, sorry]

I've found empire has grown on me - esp with the updates. Quite a challenge too if you choose one of the harder starts - like prussia. Its too easy though playing britain, france or holland.
Old 25-09-2009, 09:27:23   #7
maroule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Well, I'm sure after I've played the vanilla version I'd take a shot at that mod, so good on you for explaining both.

the TATW mod works on Medieval II, and you need the expansion pack (the one with crusades, teutonic, aztec, britan)

Beta, I got the feeling the game would indeed mature, so I'll reexplore, but probably only with the Napo mod. I hate the trailer they did for it though, with Napo grunting a voice over that even John Rambo would find embarrassing. A least they're not portraying him as a single-dimensionnal dictator while England was valiantly defending freedom and democracy across the continent.
Old 25-09-2009, 12:39:12   #8
Venom
Look out behind you!

Well that's too much god damn effort, so fuck that.

Old 25-09-2009, 12:40:54   #9
Fistandantilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroule View Post
A least they're not portraying him as a single-dimensionnal dictator while England was valiantly defending freedom and democracy across the continent.
What's wrong with that?
Fistandantilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 12:55:16   #10
Funko
Pubs Minister

Nothing if you aren't French.
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 14:01:11   #11
maroule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistandantilus View Post
What's wrong with that?
If you like your history la Sergent Sharpe, nothing

Let's call it early spin, T.Blair like.

Probably 99% of UK citizens believe this narrative of "fighting the continental dictator to preserve freedom".

It does make for a better narrative than "let's fight the imperialist, thanks to our allies -the worst reactionary monarchies, which we will help crush the democratic aspirations of their own people-, so that we keep the balance of power on the continent, so that nobody threatens our own naval/colonial expansion, per which we will bring a century of sweet freedom to India, Africa, etc."
Old 25-09-2009, 14:06:08   #12
maroule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funko View Post
Nothing if you aren't French.
or Indian, or African, or Afghan, or Malaysian, or Burman, or Russia, or Prussia, or the diverse German States, or Italy, or Spain, or from anywhere else where people somehow failed to understand how Waterloo was bringing "freedom"
Old 25-09-2009, 14:09:22   #13
Funko
Pubs Minister

2-0 to the Napoleon Trolls.
Old 25-09-2009, 14:10:17   #14
maroule

just to clarify; not disputing Napo was a blood thirsty imperialist and dictator

indeed the first victim was France, took a us a century to recover from the bleeding

the very best "jump back in time - bullet to the brain" scenario for France would involve somebody killing Napo in 1804 or 1805

That being said, the freedom narrative is so idiotic I still get irritated
Old 25-09-2009, 14:11:05   #15
maroule

3-0

you could make it last a bit longer, it should be clear by now I'm not interested in getting back to work
Old 25-09-2009, 14:14:47   #16
Funko
Pubs Minister

I think most Brits would probably say that Waterloo was about giving Jonny Foreigner a jolly good hiding.

Simon Scarrow's "The Generals" series is pretty good. Still very much popular fiction but with a bit more balance to it.
Old 25-09-2009, 14:41:26   #17
maroule

I don't mind that (aka seeing the french soldiers portrayed as morons dying in grapes as soon as Sharpe fires one shot)

it's the global narratives politicians spin on their national histories that gets to me: another prime example being de Gaulle telling frenchmen in 1945 that they had all been resistants, etc.
Old 25-09-2009, 17:49:16   #18
Fistandantilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funko View Post
2-0 to the Napoleon Trolls.
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroule View Post
or Indian, or African, or Afghan, or Malaysian, or Burman, or Russia, or Prussia, or the diverse German States, or Italy, or Spain, or from anywhere else where people somehow failed to understand how Waterloo was bringing "freedom"
You know, our (italian) history books tend to see the campaign of Italy and following occupation as a somewhat positive thing for Italy.
It's a damn shame if you ask me
Old 28-09-2009, 07:34:34   #19
maroule

well, it certainly was, in the sense where it kicked the austrians out for a while, and laid the bed for Garibaldi and VE.

the initial occupation was probably quite liberating, or so Stendhal (the most Italian of French authors) describes in the Charterhouse of Parma... afterwards, it followed the same pattern as in the rest of Europe, and became your average dumb, rapacious occupation.
Old 28-09-2009, 08:18:08   #20
Greg W
This title intentionally left blank

I just realised... How long has Maroule been back for?

Not that I am complaining, mind you. More a case of wondering just how little attention I have been paying to things.
Old 28-09-2009, 13:15:15   #21
Venom
Look out behind you!

If you checked the date on the posts, I bet they would tell you what date he posted.

Old 28-09-2009, 15:13:01   #22
Greg W

That'd take, like, effort.

Not to mention I don't know if he only came back for this thread or if I have missed him posting elsewhere. In other threads. And looking that up would certainly take effort!
Old 28-09-2009, 15:17:00   #23
Fistandantilus

He posted in the Blood Bowl thread mostly, obviously he's trying to hide from you.
Old 28-09-2009, 15:37:25   #24
Funko
Pubs Minister

I imagine Greg's been paying his normal amount of attention to things...
Old 28-09-2009, 17:18:32   #25
Greg W

Who? What? When? Where? How? Why?