Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > CounterPoint

Old 27-07-2009, 14:30:21   #1
protein
a dirty rotter.

digital slr

can anyone recommend a good digital slr? versatile, good lens options. under 500 pounds. second hand is not a problem.

thanks.
Old 27-07-2009, 14:44:07   #2
Debaser
Badass Monkey

New Nikon D40, spend the extra money on a good basic lens.
Debaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 14:50:19   #3
protein
a dirty rotter.

chloe from my band just got one of them but i didn't really rate it. it seemed a bit too automatic and didn't take pictures any better than my cheaper nikon camera. but then i only played with it for a little while. will add that to the list.
Old 27-07-2009, 15:23:03   #4
Debaser
Badass Monkey

Well it has a good auto mode, but it also does fully manual if you want too. I reckon unless you need super high speed processing (ie super low light/paperazzi style 50 shots a second stuff) then better lenses give you more options than a better body.

What kind of thing do you want to do with it? Or what do you want to do that your cheaper Nikon doesn't offer?
Old 27-07-2009, 16:51:00   #5
protein
a dirty rotter.

i guess essentially i want better and more lenses and a little more control over the apature.
Old 27-07-2009, 16:55:38   #6
Beta1
[works only in german, sorry]

Pentax K20, (or the new i-thingy). Any of the the olympus 4/3 system.

I find the cheaper Nikon and Canon bodies too small and fiddly. The Pentax bodies fit my hands better.

Go and pick a few up and see how they feel. Your ability with the camera will make a lot more difference than the lens or the body.
Old 27-07-2009, 17:15:18   #7
protein
a dirty rotter.

the only thing holding me back with my current camera is the lens situation and i suppose it would be nice to be able to have a flash in another hand when i'm shooting.

i suppose i do just need to go and fiddle.
Old 27-07-2009, 17:25:28   #8
Debaser
Badass Monkey

Have another go with her D40. Apature priority mode is the little A on the wheel bit, and you just spin the little wheel control by the top screen to change the f number. I usually put it on quite a high fake iso number if it's not really bright.
Old 27-07-2009, 17:43:41   #9
protein
a dirty rotter.

i had a go in that mode. i was trying to get some depth of field shots going on by playing with the apature while telephoto. it didn't seem any deeper than what i can get on my little nikon. it may be that the lens it came with is too general to get mad depth.

the camera does look good though. but if i get other lenses i'll be looking at much more money. hmm.
Old 27-07-2009, 18:19:49   #10
Debaser
Badass Monkey

Well it certainly true that the lens they come with are pretty cheap and cheerful, and certainly not telephoto by any stretch of the imagination. They're ok for shallow depth of field people shots and stuff like that though.

And while it's true brand new digital auto lenses are expensive, you can always get old Nikon film camera (or any other brand with a suitable adaptor ring) lenses for pretty much nothing on eBay, though you have to focus manually with them.
Old 27-07-2009, 23:02:54   #11
Cort Haus
Marklar

got me a movie
I want you to know
slicing up eyeballs
I want you to know

(sorry)
Cort Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 23:15:55   #12
protein
a dirty rotter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
Well it certainly true that the lens they come with are pretty cheap and cheerful, and certainly not telephoto by any stretch of the imagination. They're ok for shallow depth of field people shots and stuff like that though.

And while it's true brand new digital auto lenses are expensive, you can always get old Nikon film camera (or any other brand with a suitable adaptor ring) lenses for pretty much nothing on eBay, though you have to focus manually with them.
that's what confused me about it. it seemed like there were motors and stuff in the lens itself. if i wasn't bothered about auto-focus, could i just use any old camera lens? if it fits?
Old 28-07-2009, 05:56:38   #13
Debaser
Badass Monkey

Yeah, old Nikon lenses will fit new Nikon Cameras etc, but for a couple of pounds you can buy adaptor rings to make anything fit anything pretty much.
Old 28-07-2009, 18:25:35   #14
Beta1
[works only in german, sorry]

Quote:
Originally Posted by protein View Post
i had a go in that mode. i was trying to get some depth of field shots going on by playing with the apature while telephoto. it didn't seem any deeper than what i can get on my little nikon. it may be that the lens it came with is too general to get mad depth.

the camera does look good though. but if i get other lenses i'll be looking at much more money. hmm.
You looking for greater depth of field?

Stick the f-stop up high and you should get massive d.o.f. (at the cost of longer exposure).

In general though at around f/12-16 if you focused about 2/3rds of the way to infinity (yes I know that sounds stupid) on a medium range lens you should have pretty much everything in focus. I know landscape nuts who do that and have d.o.f. measured in kilometers...

Most people who are not landscape nuts are after less d.o.f. though...
Old 29-07-2009, 13:32:02   #15
Nills Lagerbaak
Role Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by protein View Post
that's what confused me about it. it seemed like there were motors and stuff in the lens itself. if i wasn't bothered about auto-focus, could i just use any old camera lens? if it fits?
The reason I went for a Nikon is that I can use all my Dad's old lenses, straight onto the digital body with no adaptors. I can get insane depth of field with his old telephoto lens, but do need to take a few of the same shot to get the light level right (one annoying effect of losing old lenses is the loss of light leveling).

"I quite like the fairies." - Funko
Nills Lagerbaak is offline   Reply With Quote