Pubs Minister

LWP - Spotify - 4 - Comments

Post away people.
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:33:44   #2
Funko
Pubs Minister

1. Short Skirt/Long Jacket - Cake
2. Heartbroken (radio edit) - T2, Jodie Aysha (the submitter wanted the original edit but I couldn't see that one please review that if it's available to you)
3. Get By - Talib Kweli
4. Concrete Schoolyard - Jurassic 5
5. Lucidogen - The Young Gods
6. Sliver - Nirvana
7. Ground Zero - The Hair and Skin Trading Company
8. The Terminator - Caspa
9 The Path Is Clear - Vital Elements
10. Upon Viewing Breughel's 'Landscape with the fall of Icarus' - Titus Andronicus
11. Untouched - The Veronicas
12. Refuse/Resist - Sepultura
13. Tales of the Future - Vangelis
14. Ping Island / Lightning Strike Rescue Op - Mark Mothersbaugh
15. Trigger Hippie - Morcheeba
Old 06-05-2009, 12:59:14   #3
Funko
Pubs Minister

Wait, this is the theme tune to Chuck! I sort of quite like Chuck, and I love the extract of this they use on the theme tune. Tizzy laughs at me when I can't help singing along to the baseline. Great to find out what the tune was. The whole song is pretty good too.

2. Heartbroken (radio edit) - T2, Jodie Aysha

I wouldn't really have been bothered if this hadn't appeared on the list. I just don't see why it's interesting.

3. Get By - Talib Kweli

I kind of like this, it's a bit lightweight but whatever, a fun tune!

Mine. An opportunity for Scabby to slag off hip-hop for white boys.

I have heard of The Young Gods, early industrial pioneers, but not sure I've ever listened to them. I would have assumed this was a modernish dance act from this track. Ahead of their time I guess.

6. Sliver - Nirvana

Mine. It's inclusion prompted by an Amazon review comment I saw the other day that said "In all honesty, though, if this music is the best you have to be nostalgic about, you might as well shoot yourself."

Cool guitar noises with someone mumbling barely intelligably over them? Obviously I love it.

I think I prefer my drum and bass a bit more upbeat than this. Or is it technically dubstep? Maybe you need to be more stoned.

Oh the playlist hears my wish and obeys. I dunno, I find it difficult listening to stuff like this out of context. And by context I mean a sweaty, shitty, drug infested club blasting this out 100 times louder than I'm currently listening to it...

10. Upon Viewing Breughel's 'Landscape with the fall of Icarus' - Titus Andronicus

I think they could have tried to be a bit more pretentious with the title. Is this Nu-gaze? I actually really quite like it. I didn't want to but I do. It's got kind of a 50s-ey vibe to it doesn't it. Why is the singer shouting into a bucket in a different room though? His voice is that bad?

This is the year of female electro apparently. This is great, very poppy, stupid lyrics but highly infectious.

Mine. Metal History continued. That's what you call a riff.

Maybe Chariots of Fire was more striking and surprising for the use of electo on a period film, and maybe the track on the opening scene is more famous, but the Blade Runner soundtrack is completely brilliant and adds so much to the movie. Better when coupled with the film, but better on its own than I thought it would be.

That drawing of Sean Young on the album cover doesn't do her any favours does it?

We are Devo. I love Devo. I didn't know he did lots of solo stuff! Quite like that. Not sure what it's all about. Is it another film/tv tie-in? That'd be 3 if someone had a theme.

Takes me back to the early years of uni. Lots of smoking and listening to stuff like this. I think this might have been a relatively big single at the time? I never really got much into trip hop.
Old 07-05-2009, 17:51:38   #4
lightblue
Cam scum

Any song is better with a brass section isn't it. Like it, I mean it's not groundbreaking stuff but it's catchy and a lot better than alot of the songs further down...

Like this one. This is utter tripe. It is music that only 13 year old chavs in the back of the bus listen to out of tinny mobile speakers. I regularly make fun out of kids I teach for liking this stuff. Has it been put on by someone to show how shit music can be nowadays?

3. Get By - Talib Kweli

This is mine. My theme for this entry was songs i just discovered (re-discovered in this case) on the Spotify radio thing. Fits in with my Tribe called quest entry from last time around. It's hiphop but not the stuff that normally ends up in the charts. And all the better for it.

Last time around it was between ATCQ and Jurassic 5 for my mellow hiphop entry, looks like someone else likes its too. I love it.

Industrial has never really been my thing. It's ok, better and some of the other tracks but not truly my cup of tea.

6. Sliver - Nirvana

I grew up on Nirvana. I was a bit of a grunge kid, with some liking of old school hiphop. This isn't their best track. It is a bit nonsensical. Still short, powerful and pretty damn good.

Guitar heavy, good power. Not bad, though the vocalist doesn't match the instruments in its delivery.

More tripe. Boring, samey and not particularly inspiring. Can't even imagine it to dance too.

Again, doesn't do it for me. I hate trancey dance music. I guess it's because I have never been E'd up, but I never got the appela of this kind of music. Monotonous and dull. And at least 3 minutes too long.

Mine. I chose it for its sheer and utter pretentiousness. The song itself is a bit Strokesy in that it is a decent tune with a distorted vocalist. It surprised me that is was actually quite listenable with a title like that. That said I'd wager that whoever thought of that title is a prat

Mine as well. Ever since I first heard this about 3 weeks ago it has been going around my head again and again and again. One of the catchiest songs I have heard in a long while. Reminds me a bit of t.a.t.u. in that song is just a great pop song that shouldn't really be taken on any artisitic merit.

This kind of stuff just makes me laugh. I always imagine singers like this recording their songs whilst straining for a shit.

I don't really like listening to film soundtracks outside of their rightful place. This particular track grates on me. Skip.

14. Ping Island / Lightning Strike
Rescue Op - Mark Mothersbaugh

Same principle, from a worse movie though. The actual track sound like a track from some early nineties computer game.

Good chilled out triphop track. This has a place unlike some of the earlier songs. Good track.
lightblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 19:58:55   #5
Lazarus and the Gimp
Howling at the moon

Very cool. Reminds me of a cleaner and more preppy update of Girls Against Boys

2. Heartbroken (radio edit) - T2, Jodie Aysha (the submitter wanted the original edit but I couldn't see that one please review that if it's available to you)

Hellishly annoying. Insubstantial song, rather nice (albeit unremarkable) vocals, but a godawful arrangement that adds nothing beyond sheer bloody irritation.

3. Get By - Talib Kweli

Nothing I haven't heard thousands of times before, without really taking much interest. Pretty good chorus.

Derivative shit.

Mine. Classic Swiss Coldwave from 2001. The big attraction for me is how they mix that onslaught of samples with the live drumming (a rarity in industrial-type bands)

6. Sliver - Nirvana

I really liked Nirvana when "Bleach" came out, but started going off them a bit when this was released. It was less brutal and more whiney than I liked.

Mine. H&STCo were the rhythm section of Loop who split around 1990 (the other band formed by the split was the Isolationist pioneers Main). H&STCo recorded three utterly brilliant head-rock albums that drew heavily on krautrock and experimental noise, before vanishing without trace.

I don't get this. It's really quite tedious. It might draw on drum'n'bass but lacks the berzerk energy that attracts me to such tracks.

Ahahahahahahaha. This first couple of times I heard this, I hated it- but it got me. Nutty good fun.

I wanted to love this purely on the strength of the song and band names. Tragically it's rubbish. It's like a really amateurish attempt to do late-80's indie, and I struggle to believe this isn't a particularly drunken demo.

Oh, this is brilliant. A killer mix of bubblegum pop, slashing strings and buzzsaw distortion. They're really going for it, and I like that. Best song on the compilation.

Obligatory LWP shit metal track.

Mine. If you're about the same age as me, you'll remember Demis Roussos as a fat, beardy bloke who was always on "Top of the Pops" singing cheesey shit for frustrated housewives. Then I heard this track, and realised he was a FUCKING EXTRAORDINARY SINGER!!!!! If he hadn't chosen such hopelessly horrible material, he'd be the West's answer to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.

Well, what the fuck was that all about?

Flyweight Trip-hop. Just imagine what Tricky and Martina Topley-Bird would have done with this, and weep at the injustice of it all.
Lazarus and the Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 00:43:01   #6
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Mine. Prob my favourite song of this band, as it has a great tune as well as lyrics. And yes, it’s the theme tune to Chuck.

Er, I actually quite like this, mainly the basey electro bit. Sorry. Shoot me if you like.

3. Get By - Talib Kweli

This is OK in an undemanding and average sort of way for this kind of music.

Er, as number 3, though I preferred the above.

Nice energetic start, grew on me the more I listened to it and now I quite like it.

6. Sliver - Nirvana

Ugh! I like Nirvana, but this pick seems to have homed in on their most boring and repetitive (and thankfully short!) song.

Sounds weirdly familiar but I can’t put my finger on it – apart from the song I’m thinking of was better – not that that makes sense! It’s OK, but ultimately a bit soporific…

Hated this the first time I listened to it. Now strangely it is growing on me, especially if you play it loud. I imagine it as a great track to intentionally piss off the neighbours. Ultimately pointless though and goes on a bit too long in its pointlessness.

Like the intro and all the individual elements, although it is twice as long as it should be and just becomes way too repetitive and, well, boring.

Urgh – utter pretentiousness both in the title and name of the band. Not to mention the fact that it’s crap, and scarily from my POV that I’d imagine this is the last sort of sound that comes to mind upon viewing Breughel's 'Landscape with the fall of Icarus'

Wow, this seems to have wiped itself off my list as I was going to review it. It was very good – I remember that at least!

Ha. Funny – this stuff just makes me laugh – and not want to listen to it more than I have to.

Yes, all very atmospheric and nice. I like a lot of this sort of thing – in fact avoiding a Vangelis track because this one had already been submitted. Seems very middle-eastern – I don’t remember that in Blade Runner…

Mine. Basically the theme of The Life Aquatic (I must admit to being a Wes Anderson fan), with this bit expanded for one of the scenes – Spotify allowed me to track it down and the Devo connection was a bonus! I love the boppy weirdness to it.

Mine. Nice and chilled for relaxing to. Reminds me of Bondi and Sydney as that’s where I spotted it on my friend’s cd shelf.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:09:46   #7
Scabrous Birdseed
for your usergroup and post count

At first I felt this was fairly funky, but the sentiment and strange spoken-word lyrics are a bit of a turn off. They're like a twenty-first-century version of Modern Romance.

Mine. Yes indeed this is music made for the tinny speakers of 13-year old chavs, and it just goes to show how infinitely more sophisticated they are than some of you philistine lot. This is bassline house, out of Sheffield, and Laz's "godawful arrangement" comment directed at the song's undulating heart reminds me of nothing more than the dismissal of Charlie Parker by swing fans in the forties.

3. Get By - Talib Kweli
I'm reviewing these together because of a great mystery. Old-fashioned boom-bap East Coast rap has for some unfathomable reason become the trad jazz of the current generation, clinged to by white people in England fifteen-twenty-twentyfive years after it was even vaguely relevant.
Even then, as the Jurassic 5 track readily shows, it was easily the most shit music ever produced under the hip-hop moniker. Dull arrangements, predictable samples from the bottom scrapings of the worst hippie soul of the seventies, fucking Smokey Robinson and Spinal Tap references, awful sub-cerebral tounge-twister rapping - it's as if it's been designed to be as completely honky-appealing as possible, a sort of cotton club of hip-hop. (To continue the strained jazz analogy.)
The Talib Kweli track is not much better, and follows the same mold, but at least it shows some sort of awareness of the much better music that has appeared since. The backpacker-oriented world-music references are particularly belch-worthy.

There's a great energetic groove to this, and some of the details are brilliant (especially that warbly break), but I can't help feel this would have been better if they'd laid off the wannabe-metal industrial aspects and realised the full dance potential.

6. Sliver - Nirvana
Never been one of my favourite Nirvana tracks. Part of me thinks there ought to be a subtlety here I don't get, or that the band is fucking with us - I don't get what the lyrics are on about at all. Anyone want to give a shot at explaining what they're getting at?

I have exactly the same reaction to this as to Laz's previous track. Good groove, incomplete/uniteresting/misdirected song. That's suppsed to be how I pick music, remember?

Next two are mine. I've picked all three of my tracks this time to show off the main trend circa 2004-2008 in the garagey segment of British music: the fascination with bass lines and their strange uses. The idea that this is a kind of drum & bass isn't too far off - it's the danceable end of the dubstep scene, called "jump-up" after...

...the drum & bass subgenre which is equally based around the hunt for the ultimate mindfuck bass line. I used to think I hated drum & bass until I heard some of this kind of material played in the side room of a dubstep club, it's really mental and modern compared to the duff sampley stuff. Of course, purists laugh at it and call it "clownstep"...

This is great because it's so bad.

This might just be their worst song, unfortunately - writ big that their record company is trying to score a radio hit in Lady GaGa's wake. Otherwise a fun band.

This would be a belter of a track if they'd mixed it clearer and skipped the pointless tempo change. Is it just me who thinks English with a Brazilian Portugese accent sounds like Dutch?

I'm equally drawn to and repulsed by the cod-orientalism, but I have to admit this is damned atmospheric stuff.

This is some good soundtrack composition right here. I really like the way it goes from blippy bitpop synths to analogue instruments while preserving the style and rhythm. Probably the best thing on the compilation.

I used to hate this sort of thing a few years ago but I'm kind of revising my attitude to the nineties - especially when shorn of its most annoyingly idiosyncratic sound elements. This works, in a kind of sub-Screamadelica way.

Last edited by Scabrous Birdseed; 10-05-2009 at 11:16:07.
Scabrous Birdseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:44:47   #8
Greg W
This title intentionally left blank

Quote:
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
This might just be their worst song, unfortunately - writ big that their record company is trying to score a radio hit in Lady GaGa's wake. Otherwise a fun band.
As an aside, Untouched by the Varonicas was released in Oz... Jeese... 6 months ago? Don't remember exactly, but it has been around a while now. Why it's only reached o/s now I have no idea.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:05:22   #9
Lazarus and the Gimp
Howling at the moon

Quote:
and Laz's "godawful arrangement" comment directed at the song's undulating heart reminds me of nothing more than the dismissal of Charlie Parker by swing fans in the forties.

Actually, it's probably more akin to Charlie Parker being dimissed as masturbatory conservatism by Ornette Coleman fans in the sixties.
Lazarus and the Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:27:13   #10
Debaser
Badass Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg W
As an aside, Untouched by the Varonicas was released in Oz... Jeese... 6 months ago? Don't remember exactly, but it has been around a while now. Why it's only reached o/s now I have no idea.
They stagger the release in different territories so that the band can travel around the world properly promoting its launch.

Haven't the Veronicas been around for about 5 or 6 years now? They've never really made much of an impact in this country.
Debaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 15:10:28   #11
Greg W

3 or 4 years maybe? Can't say I have followed them that much, wouldn't have thought it was quite 5 or 6 years though.
Old 10-05-2009, 16:01:10   #12
Scabrous Birdseed
for your usergroup and post count

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg W
Actually, the album it's on is several years old. What I meant was that a single re-release of the least distinctive-sounding track on the whole album several years after the fact smacks of opportunism.

So does anyone care to explain what Sliver is actually about? And I don't want to hear about "well, Kurt is relating a childhood memory of having been separated, albeit briefly, from his parents, etc. etc."
Old 10-05-2009, 16:26:39   #13
lightblue
Cam scum

According to various websites, it's about nothing. It was written to annoy people who read too much into song lyrics. Sounds about right for Cobain
lightblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 18:42:30   #14
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Well it certainly annoyed me.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:48:00   #15
Greg W

Quote:
Actually, the album it's on is several years old. What I meant was that a single re-release of the least distinctive-sounding track on the whole album several years after the fact smacks of opportunism.
Ah, I see what you mean now.

Yeah, the album was Nov 07. Didn't realise it was that old.
Old 11-05-2009, 14:12:39   #16
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Hey Greg, can you get Spotify in OZ? Or is it just a Europe thing?
Old 11-05-2009, 14:16:19   #17
Greg W

No idea, hadn't tried to tbh. Lemme go see...
Old 11-05-2009, 14:20:29   #18
Greg W

Nope, apparently not.