Old 17-04-2009, 18:48:45   #1
Scabrous Birdseed
for your usergroup and post count

LWP Spotify 3 Comments

http://open.spotify.com/user/belavh/...GUN9cVB0oeT3ms

Track listing:

1. Graham Coxon – Freakin' out
2. No-Man – All Sweet Things
3. A Tribe Called Quest – Can I Kick It?
4. John Cale – Paris 1919
5. Glasvegas – Daddy's Gone
6. Vanilla Ice – Ice Ice Baby
7. Phoenix – Funky Squaredance
8. Mariah Carey feat. T-Pain – Migrate
9. The Distillers – Dismantle Me
10. Stabbing Westward – The Thing I Hate
11. Slayer – Raining Blood
12. Jimmie Lunceford – Lunceford Special
13. Sigur Rós – Svefn-g-englar
14. Dead Can Dance – The Host of Seraphim
15. Thelma Houston – Saturday Night, Sunday Morning
16. Coheed and Cambria – Mother Superior
17. Iron Maiden – Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
18. The Raveonettes – Hallucinations
19. Muddy Waters – Mannish Boy
20. Thrice – Broken Lungs
21. Cheap Trick – Surrender

Comments go here. Comments go in the home thread.

Last edited by Scabrous Birdseed; 17-04-2009 at 19:02:03.
Scabrous Birdseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 08:32:03   #2
Lazarus and the Gimp
Howling at the moon

Graham Coxon-

I think we all know this one, but it's a corker of a song. I took a real pleasure in seeing Coxon (who is reputed to be a very nice bloke) flee from Blur and release a single that was way better than anything Albarn every spewed out. Could have been released at any time since 1976, and would have sounded great at any time.

No-Man-

One of mine. No-Man have been one of my little secrets for nearly 20 years now. They're less outrageously fey and camp than they used to be, but still capable of wringing out torch songs for the bookish and sexually-ambiguous. I've always admired the subtlety with which they use electronica in their tracks, and this 2008 track is a good example of that- just listen to the samples swell and grow in the background.

A tribe called Quest-

I'm quite partial to this. It steers clear of most of the things that turn me off hip-hop tracks, and concentrates on churning out a good, catchy pop song.

John Cale-

Mine. Hell, we all know who he is, but he's more often name-dropped than listened to, and isn't this a classy song?

Glasvegas-

I'm a big fan of the Glasvegas album, which strikes me as being like The Jesus and Mary Chain for glue-sniffers. I'd be intrigued to see what Johan makes of these, in view of his socio-economic theories of popular music- but as far as I'm concerned this is just a big old emotional slam-dunk of a song.

Vanilla Ice-

Shit in 1990. Still shit now. Bye!

Phoenix-

Starts off merely bad. Then takes an uninspiring turn through extended tedium before becoming gruesomely self-indulgent. It's impressive how one song can turn in so many different directions and be so unutterably awful in all of them. The guitar solo at 6 minutes in hits a new low, while the repetitions of "Funky Squaredance!" make me wonder if this was written for "The Goodies" in a hurry on a really bad day.
I'm baffled. I really am. I realise the variations of synapses in the human brain can throw up trillions of different combinations, but surely not one single one of them could leave anything evolved from anything possessing a spine thinking this was, in any way, shape or form, a good song? Shameful.

Mariah Carey-

Doesn't show up on the playlist for me. Can't say that bothers me much, though I remain impressed at how Mariah looks increasingly like a guinea pig as she ages.

Distillers-

I remember The Distillers. Their entire image consisted of the statement "Hey! I'm shagging Josh Homme! Buy our record! It's rubbish, but I'm shagging Josh Homme! How about that! Josh Homme! So buy it!"
It's uninspired stuff, but in fairness she really was shagging Josh Homme.

Stabbing Westward-

Classic 90's Coldwave. Stabbing Westward lagged some way behind the heavyweights like The Young Gods and Chemlab, but what they lacked in invention they often made up for in accessibility. There was a time, round about 1994, when I thought this was the future for guitar-based rock. That didn't happen, but it threw up some great songs.

Slayer-

This is revered by the Metalheads, isn't it? It's hilarious. I really can't take it seriously at all. They're trying so hard to be scary, but scary is so very tricky to pull off when you're pitching it firmly at the level of 12-year-old boys. Makes me want to shout at my parents before locking myself in my bedroom for some angry masturbation. And that's just plain daft in a man pushing 40.

Jimmy Lunceford-

When it comes to jazz, I like either smoky cocktail jazz or utterly mental Ornette Coleman-style free jazz. This just comes across like incidental backing to an episode of "The Black & White Minstrel Show", and I find it all a bit pointless.

Sigur Ros-

Icelanders are bonkers, aren't they? What have they given the world? A banking system founded on an asset structure consisting solely of a couple of herring boats, and mental musicians. Anyway, I like Sigur Ros, even if they've been adopted as the BBC's house band since the closing of the Radiophonic Workshop and been massively over-exposed in the process. I now can't listen to them without getting mental images of lions having sex in that strangely unenthusiastic manner lions seem wont to when David Attenborough is narrating earnestly.
I should try using David Attenborough as a seduction soundtrack, to see if it results in 20 seconds of bored and distracted humping, culminating in Mrs V attempting to claw my face off. Incidentally, it's a nice song and I can forgive the fact that it lasts longer than the Tang Dynasty.

Dead Can Dance-

Mine. Epically pretentious, but who cares when it's so monstrously dramatic?

Thelma Houston-

Good track. It really can't be faulted in any way- it does what it does, and it's bloody good at it.

Coheed and Cambria-

I'm in two minds about this one. One the one hand, it's very well-made by clearly gifted musicians who have put a lot of love and effort into it. On the other hand, it's all a bit silly, isn't it? The singer badly needs to be encased in concrete and dumped at sea. If they got Mark Lanegan in to do the vocals, this would be an utter monster of a song. Strip out 40% of the posturing and this would be a fine, fine track.

Iron Maiden-

Ridiculous.

The Raveonettes-

Everyone will think I submitted this, since I'm such a big Raveonettes fan. Not guilty. BUT IT'S SO DAMNED GOOD!!! That guitar, man! That guitar! It's just distilled rock'n'roll. Nobody bought the "Lust Lust Lust" album, but it's a belter.

Muddy Waters-

I buy a lot of blues. A lot. And I've just never seen the point of Muddy Waters. Sure, he assembled a great band, but his music was pretty pedestrian. Among the Chicago crowd, he was miles behind Howlin' Wolf and John Lee Hooker, and not even on the same galaxy as the Delta greats like Leadbelly. This is a typical example- he's a man, but so what? Boooooring. For God's sake don't let this put you off Chicago blues, because there's far better stuff out there.

Thrice-

What happens when Post-Rock mates with Emo? You get this. It's like Emo, but with some of the infuriating emotional wankery replaced with unfocussed noodling. This makes it less overtly offensive, but also more overtly boring. It's tricky to be both distraught and smug simultaneously, but they give it a damned good go.

Cheap Trick-

This was not submitted by a British participant. People always struggle to define what "Britishness" actually is, but it's simple. We don't get Cheap Trick. That's it.
Sure, there's other elements, like cricket on the village green and invading France, but they're all optional. Not the Cheap Trick, though. It's the hallmark of Britishness.
It's got notes, and things happen with rhythm, and there are sounds coming out of a man's mouth, but the end result is just nothing I can associate with the concept of "music".
Lazarus and the Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 10:42:34   #3
lightblue
Cam scum

Hmm following Laz.. hard act to follow

Track listing:

Cracking song, one that I knew before this. Good radio/driving song as well as for most other purposes. One of the best songs on this compilation

Nearly 7 minutes of this... Not sure if I can listen all the way through. It's like the music from a 80's-90's TV drama (Twin Peaks maybe?) with a sleep inducing vocal.

One of mine. As a teenager in the early-mid nineties the big thing was gangsta rap (Snoop Dogg, Notorious B.I.G, Tupac etc). When my family got their first CD player, the first album I bought (in '91 I think, so when I was 12-13) was De La Soul. This kind of grew out of that and of my general dislike of the chart hiphop at the time.

I like the music, the vocals less so. The bird sample is a touch odd. Not something I'd rush out and buy.

Good song, I like Glasvegas. Might be sacrelegious, but it makes me think of the likes of Weezer and American HiFi.

Makes me smile. Takes me back to early school disco territory. That, and one of my class mates who decided that it'd be cool to sport the same hair style as Vanilla Ice (quif, lightning things traced out), which considering he was a corpulent 11 year old resultd in much laughter. That said the song is pretty pants.

10 minutes of tripe. I guess it tried to get out tripesville by changing complete tack throughout the song, but it merely headed into shitsville and thatsenoughletsgotothenextsongsville. Minutes 6-8 are particularly painful.

Not on my list, but looked it up. Hope it was put on as a joke. Pretty dire sub-standard RnB, and that is saying something. Nothing Mary J Blige or the likes haven't done better.

Mine. I tried to go for as disparate a set of tracks as I could get out of my record collection. I used the Distillers album as an exercise backing track. It's not the greatest track, but I am always intrigued by how low her voice is.

Quite a powerful track. Not really suited to listening to with headphones in front of my computer. More to some strobed dark room, a la vampire party from the first Blade movie.

Fairly standard metal. You can just see spotty longhaired teenagers trying to imitate this in their garages in deepest darkest Norway. Not my cuppa.

Not much too it, though it comes over very familiar.

Another 10 minutes track. Let's see if this one is better. It is (not that that was too hard). Good chillout track. The last minute is bit odd, is it a heartbeat monitor on a baby?

Sounds like a computer game sound track. Something involving elves. Maybe as they ride off to go to war.
In fact it goes quite well when I play Warcraft.

Good track, something to strut to. Takes me back to some of the places I used to go to as a student in Manchester.

Vocal is dire, the rest just standard rock fare. About three and a half minutes too long.

Hair metal. See Slayer track. About 5 minutes too long.

This is more like it. Less than 3 minutes delivers far more than the previous 2 tracks combined. Builds nicely.

Last one from me. I love Chicago blues, and unlike Laz think that this an excellent example of it. The call and answer, preacher style vocals, the simple but powerful guitar delivering that classic blues riff.

Insipid.

You can see how they inspired Green Day and the like. Now if that's a good thing...
lightblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 16:23:56   #4
Scabrous Birdseed

Seems that decent stuff remains once you subtract that arch-tosser Albarn. This is catchy and a bit rock'n'roll, and quite fun at that.

I realise the compulsion to keep cramming stuff into the track is what makes this stand out and be interesting, but at some point the dude should have stood back and, Coco Chanel style, carefully removed two accessories. May I suggest the glockenspiel sample, the guitar and/or three minutes?

No, hippie SCUM, I don't need a FUCKING hug! Gerroff me! Gerroff!

It's nice that John Cale can use classical instrumentation in a track without being either unbearably pompous or mock-imperial á la the Beatles. I really should get hold of this album, I like Vintage Violence a lot.

Using Phil Spector drums with a warm-textured rock song is so LWP6.

You can heap scorn on this track if you like, but at least it's better than the half-hearted Queen/Bowie collabo it samples.

I can't normally stand this era in French music, and "Too Young" is ghastly, but all four of these tracks are decent. (pa-dum-tish!)

Mine. One of the best R&B tracks from last year, especially with the eerie-sounding manipulated vocal hook weaving through the background.

Cocktail punk, they should make that a genre.

I quite like this, they've sadistically tortured their instruments in some rather novel and appealing ways. Too po-faced though, when compared to...

I'm assuming this kind of more conventional guitar music is what the last band rebelled against. Hard to see why - this is more fun by a mile. Bouncy and incredibly silly as only the eighties can be. "Raining Bloooooooood!" Wheee!

Mine. Lunceford's orchestra is my favourite big band and the last forty seconds or so of this absolutely make we want to get up and do showgirl high legs.

There's a potential trip-hoppish calm this track could project, albeit a rather too Floyd-inspired, American-TV-soundtracky one. But the jaunty "ty-yoo-hoos" really make me laugh, breaking the atmosphere completely.

Next week: the sacred song of the dolphin druids, floating around the celestial chamber through the power of feng shui.

Mine. Recently I was privileged to dance for an hour to a great mid-tempo Modern Soul set, which finished off with this track. Is this the ultimate buzz-conserver? And despite all the demonstratively awful long tracks on here, I wish spotify would have had the seven-minute 12" version instead, since it's even better.

By quite a distance the worst thing on the compilation. I can't seem to understand what would possess people who are obviously skilled musicians to put together something so vile, sub-American Pie ironic, pretentious, rash-inducingly grating in every way.

Metal, except not fun any more. Is energy too much to ask for?

The second track on the compilation with a "warm" Wall-of-Sound complex. This shit is getting well tired by now - it's a good shtick but bands have been doing this again and again and again since the nineties.

Eeeh. I still think Chicago Blues stinks of stale fogey, compared to every other black music that was going on at the time. However competently this is recorded, it's still just a mediocre Bo Diddley cover without the pizazz, and old rockist white men shouting "Yeaaahh!" at regular intervals, like at a Hitler rally.

Iain? Have you started submitting entries again?

Simply the best feel-good ending this compilation could have had. Cheap Trick are brilliant in the balance between stoopid and brittle.
Old 21-04-2009, 15:07:52   #5
Funko
Pubs Minister

Great tune, perfect for a lovely sunny day like today.

I find this quite hard work, it's just so minimalist. I can't criticize the length after I added track 13!

Of course you can. Happy memories of university nights out from this. It's funny 'cause listening to it again it's a lot more mellow than I think it is.

This is great. John Cale played in Reading last year, I didn't go but apparently it was very good. I haven't listened to much of his non Velvet Underground stuff. I should, this is a really good song.

One of the local Reading promoters bangs on about Glasvegas about 15 times a day on our local music forum, yes, they played at one of his club nights and now they are successful, well done. What with that and Alan McGee banging on about them all the time I'd like to hate them, but I really like this song.

Mine. I think I read on Popbitch that we're apparently in for a Vanilla Ice revival this year. He played some festival in Australia in a sort of comedy stage where they brought back people that they thought were joke acts but he was so popular his tent was totally rammed and the proper headliners played to almost no-one. This is awesome and I'll wax anyone who doesn't like it like a candle.

Is this actually more than one song and if so is that cheating? At the beginning of the first song that duh-duw-duh-now slide guitar bit at the beginning reminds me so much of Summer Holiday by Cliff Richard. Then there's the amazing amount of auto-tune. The second song reminds me so much of when you choose the funky option on the soundtrack of De Blob on the Wii and I quite like that. The funky squaredance bit is a bit daft punk and I kind of like the Daft Punk aspect but... I dunno what I think about this at all. It's weird.

I haven't got this song, my next one is the distillers so I went to YouTube. Got Scabby written all over it. I'm sure he'll say it's cutting edge R&B.

I seem to remember Brody Dahle being all over every rock magazine in about 2000/2001 as a rock boy wet dream. I think she was married to the guy out of Rancid and now Josh Homme. I do really like her voice, elevates what otherwise is fairly ordinary punk song.

I seemed to totally miss the whole industrial thing when it was going on. This isn't a bad song, not as good as NIN but it isn't bad.

10a. Spotify sexy playlists?!

Mine. The next part of our catch up with classic metal bands. If you like heavy music then other people who like heavy music assumes you must like Slayer. But why? This is their most famous song off their most famous album and it's actually shit. It was pioneering but it pioneers a lot of stuff I hate in metal. I don't mind it being ridiculous but they don't seem to have any sense of the ridiculousness of it. It takes itself so seriously. I don't get it. Hopefully someone will explain it to me.

I really like it. Reminds me of our friend Woosh, 'cause only round his house did we ever listen to anything like this which is a shame. I should more.

Mine! Sorry, it's a bit long. All their songs are a bit long though and I love this one. No idea what it's all about I think they're a bit mental. But I love post-rock and Sigur Rós do it brilliantly. I think it's got a quite cheerful vibe to it, even though it's very slow and moody.

From the track name and band name I was expecting this to be METAL. But it wasn't. A pleasant surprise, ruined slightly by being a little bit Enya. Or is that just me?

This is a great song. Someone should put it over a silent slo-mo Tarantino gunfight.

Coheed and Cambria are just about as pretentious as you can get. Each album forms part of the continuing saga of Coheed and Cambria so it's a concept band putting out a series of concept albums. I think this is their weakest album, the only one I don't own other than the first one and personally I think this song is a bit shit, they are at their best when they are more full on. but I see they don't have any of the earlier ones on Spotify. It's very much a love it or hate it vocal.

Another band I like (much more so than C&C), another song I don't like. Every Maiden album has a few songs that anyone but the real hardcore fans would have to admit are filler and this is a skipper for me. Where's the Maiden sense of humour and melody? You've really got to go with the singles every time. Different World off this album is much more like it. Brucie's voice sounds shit on this album though.

Love this. Brilliant, brilliant song. Going to be listening to a lot more Raveonettes.

Love it. My Muddy Waters CD tends to only come out when playing poker, but it is fantastic.

Is this genre called post-emo? Can I define that term now? When I used to review local bands there'd be a lot of bands playing this kind of bland 'rock' ultra-professionally and I'd say something like "good at what they do". And then the last 45 seconds is quite interesting and much better than the rest of the song.

I'm sorry, I dunno how old this is but I still don't get it.

Last edited by Funko; 21-04-2009 at 15:10:37.
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 20:02:34   #6
Nills Lagerbaak
Role Model

Graham Coxon –
Love the guitars on this song but the vocals sound annoying stunted, not good stunted like some punk tunes. Does sound like the vocalist knows one hook.

No-man
Reckon this could grow on me, especially if I had time to listen to it in peace…shame it’s not called Listen with Patience. Still it is layered well, but eh build up is a little to restrained for my liking J

Tribe called quest
A superb hip hop classic, very, very chilled out tune takes me right back to days of Dela Soul and a little later Dream warriors

John Cale

This has started to annoy me, very much. Urgh, it’s horrible.

Glasvegas
One of mine. What an excellent track, they really are good. I think this’s what Johnny Cash would sound like if Scottish. Joohnnae Cash?

Vanilla Ice.
Only virtue of this song was being able to rap along to the whole thing – impressive.

Phoenix
Cowboy robot? I don’t really know what else to say. Oh now someone’s mashed it up. It’s like somekind of jazz mix in one song. I quite like it/

Mariah Cary

Think I found somekind of version with uninteligable vocals. It’s OK, but even I’ll admit there are many better R n’ B tracks… although they’d probably not be classed as strict RnB

The distillers
Wow she does have a deep voice! Would a Pink comparison be unfair? I quite like Pink… I quite like this, not bad but nothing special

Stabing westward

Heard the name, but never listened to them before. Is this emo-industrial. Why would anyone listenb to them when they have Rammstein?

Slayer
Now I am glad someone put this on. I admit I am a bit old for this (as are they) but I do believe it is the only metal song I have heard that is actually scary (ignoring the whole background to bands like Mayhem etc). Great stuff!

Jimmie Lunceford
This is great… now pas me my pimms.

Sigur Ros

Again, it’s not called Listen with Patience J. God this is horrible, what’s the vocals like?
Dead can dance

It’s definitely got a slayer intro…oh there goes that. Wait, it’s braveheart! I like it, definitely needs a couple of fat spliffs to be appreciated fully like.

Thelma Houston

Yuk! This is so unconvincing it’s embarrassing. Any disco/funk outfit would surely be better than this? Urethra? Chaka Khan?

Coheed and Cambria,

Wow this is epically pretentious! I love it.

Iron Maiden.

Mine – I was toying with putting a track from the first two albums on, but then realized that there most recent was one of their best too. You can’t just listen to the pop songs on a maiden album, you’ve got to get into the atmosphere of the album, I think this song absolutely rocks

The raveonettes
Bit too easy listening for me.

Muddy waters
This is a simply a great tune.

Thrice
Oooh, really not my thing at all. Insipid as all hell. It sounds like it might rock out, then just stops as if I’m hanging on the edge of my seat…. I am:…to leave.

Cheap Trick.
Don’t know what there is to ‘get’ about this band but this is a great song.

Sorry it got a bit rushed at the end, but there you has it!

"I quite like the fairies." - Funko
Nills Lagerbaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 16:16:16   #7
Debaser
Badass Monkey

Sorry, I know these reviews are really late, but some of the songs were mine so I thought I'd post them anyway.

Coxon - Mine. An excellent song by any standard. Recorded during Coxon's Missons of Burma/Stiff Little Fingers obsessive phase. I think this song will probably sound good forever.

No-Man - This sounds like Mika singing a ballad, which is basically the worst thing anyone can possibly sound like. Might get good after 40 seconds, but I will never know.

Tribe Called Quest - Tribe were pretty much untouchable during the 90s, and while this song is probably their biggest hit, it really only marks the point where they properly hit their stride. If you like the kind of East Coast, laid back, jazz/funk sampling hip hop that Scabby so despises then you'd be a fool not to own Beats Rhymes & Life, the Love Movement, and particularly The Low End Theory. Each a pretty much flawless album. J5 stole their style big time.

John Cale - Not heard this before, and I quite like it. Reminds me a bit of Our House by Crosby Stills & Nash, if it was played by Scott Walker. No bad thing.

Glasvegas - They're one of those bands that appear out of nowhere with a great song (this one), then follow it up with more songs that just sound the same but a bit worse. There are much better bands out there doing pretty much the same thing.

Vanilla Ice - Hmm, seems I still know all the words. Great.

Phoenix - My choice. This is a stupid song really, but I like it 'cos it's the sound of a band having fun and dicking about. Just thought I'd include it as a bit of a wildcard element really

Mariah Carey - Sounds like Kate Bush for about the first 5 seconds, and it's all down hill from there. The rest of it could be anyone. Very generic. And that clicky noise on the backing track is really annoying.

Distillers - Sounds like Hole playing songs that didn't make the cut for their second album in the style of their first album. I wonder if that's intentional. Not too bad, but why would I listen to it when I could just listen to early Hole?

Stabbing Westward - I quite like the typography on the album cover, but the music is just for young teenagers to use as a stepping stone into proper metal...

Slayer - ... like this. Wow, don't Slayer sound dated these days. I used to listen to this album quite a bit when I was at school, but wouldn't put it on now. For what it's worth I think Metallica's first 4 albums are all much better records than Reign in Blood.

Jimmie Lunceford - Why don't they show old cartoons on TV these days? I used to like it when the snooker finished early and the BBC filled the gap in the schedule with a couple of old Tom & Jerry episodes. Good times.

Sigur Ros - I've never really go on with Sigur Ros albums (I own quite a few I think). I like the idea, but it's just a bit boring in large doses. Sounds great soundtracking nature documentaries though.

And this is where my playlist stops. Weird. The Raveonettes song was my other choice by the way.
Debaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 16:28:18   #8
Funko
Pubs Minister

That is weird, still looks fine to me.
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 19:58:04   #9
Scabrous Birdseed

Me too. I even moved some of the tracks around fine.

Try again?