Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Games

Old 29-04-2008, 15:53:48   #1
Asher
Token Black Guy & Yank of the Year

GTA4

Best game ever?

Looks virtually identical on the 360 and PS3. 'cept 360 has downloadable content coming.

Getting it shortly.
Old 29-04-2008, 23:53:48   #2
Walrus Feeder
Turnip plantations are vital

Expect to get it by end of the week. I have a 20 gift voucher for HMV yet all the HMV's in Manchester had sold out today! Was flicking through the guide book and looking at different stuff and it looks awesome.
Walrus Feeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 23:40:10   #3
Drake Tungsten
King of Harlem Heights

I'm so tempted to finally buy a 360 to play this. If only I had the money and the time; I'd love to see how Varsity Heights and North Holland match up with the real thing...
Old 01-05-2008, 01:40:11   #4
Drake Tungsten
King of Harlem Heights

Just watched a video on YouTube that showed the GTA IV equivalent of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. Awesome...
Old 01-05-2008, 02:28:36   #5
Asher

It is very much awesome so far.

The story is 100x better than previous games. I actually care about the main character. The scale and detail is insane.

You can watch frickin Ricky Gervais do un-politically correct skits on the TV, for christ sake.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:16:49   #6
Drake Tungsten
King of Harlem Heights

I might have to buy a 360 after finals are over. My willpower is fading.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:34:38   #7
Asher

When it rains people even have umbrellas. And you can knock them out of their hands to piss them off.

The details...
Old 01-05-2008, 06:51:49   #8
MattHiggs
Higgelhoff

GTA IV was sold out at Blockbuster, Game, Virgin and HMV at Trafford Centre
MattHiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:18:36   #9
Drake Tungsten
King of Harlem Heights

Someone in Washington Heights must've decided to go on a real-life spree in celebration of GTA IV's release. They've got two helicopters circling the neighborhood as we speak.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:38:18   #10
Funko
Pubs Minister

after finals are over? I thought you were like 45.
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 19:51:52   #11
Asher

Quote:
I was standing on the street corner near my apartment, and I had been standing for about 5 minutes. I was looking out at the intersection. I guy started crossing the street and a car came flying by and hit him, and kept going. A bystander behind me mentioned 'That car hit that guy and kept going.' About a minute goes by and I hear sirens. Ambulance pulls up in the middle of the intersection, guy jumps out of the passenger side, runs over to the guy on the ground and starts doing CPR. I guess no luck as he was laying motionless for awhile already. The paramedic got up, walked back over to the ambulance hopped back in and pulled away. Leaving the dead guy in the street.
Quote:
I pushed a guy and made him drop his coffee. He put up his hands to fight and I ran away. He chased me around a corner and a cop was there and pulled a gun on him. I watched the guy get "arrested" which amounted to threats from the cop and then the guy voluntarily walked and got into the back of the cop car without ever being hand-cuffed. Then the cop drove him away. Oh yeah, and this happened right outside the police station. Maybe the cop was driving him out into the woods to do bad things.
Old 01-05-2008, 21:04:40   #12
Drake Tungsten
King of Harlem Heights

Quote:
after finals are over? I thought you were like 45.
I'm 28. Went back for a masters.
Old 01-05-2008, 21:46:57   #13
Asher

In what?
Old 01-05-2008, 22:35:56   #14
Drake Tungsten
King of Harlem Heights

International security policy and policy analysis.
Old 01-05-2008, 23:30:39   #15
Asher

You majored in Civilization?
Old 01-05-2008, 23:36:54   #16
Drake Tungsten
King of Harlem Heights

That makes it sound too interesting. "You majored in Hearts of Iron II?" would express the tedium more accurately...
Old 01-05-2008, 23:46:46   #17
Asher

On topic, this video illustrates the differences between the version:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33469.html

More specifically, PS3 version runs at 1152 x 640 (640p) with 0x AA. 360 version runs at 1280x720 (720p) with 2x AA.

Last edited by Asher; 01-05-2008 at 23:48:48.
Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 23:07:36   #18
MattHiggs
Higgelhoff

Managed to buy a copy today. Awesome so far!!
Old 03-05-2008, 00:37:58   #19
Walrus Feeder

They were back in stock in HMW in central Manchester earlier too. Too be honest, my first impressions aren't great. Yes, the detail and scope if great but the control system is a bit annoying and makes for really jerky movement and the scrolling make things look out of focus and blurred. Why when you get into a car doesn't it switch to the drirection you're travelling in automatically? Not what you want when the cops are after you.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:10:01   #20
Asher

you know how to change the view, yes?
Old 04-05-2008, 11:30:15   #21
Walrus Feeder

Yeah, i've been changing the views. Prefer having 'in car' camera mode when driving as when you corner you can actually see exactly the view infront of you.

Staed up til 4am playing last night and am enjoying it a lot more. Been doing a few missions which are just basic ones so far. Some of the hand to hand combat is a bit crap though. Getting used to the weapons is more fun though. I lobbed a molotov cocktail down an alleyway into three dudes who stumbled around on fire before collapsing. Then the cops were called so i stole a car and floored it away from them all to the tune of 1979 by the Smashing Pumpkins.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:42:27   #22
Walrus Feeder

Getting further into the game now. More missions completed, now accessed the gun shop. Even with all the exploring i've done i've found weapons hard to come by. A molotov cocktail on the boardwalk of Firefly Island, basball bat under the Hove Beach subway and a SMG on top of airport carpark.
Old 06-05-2008, 13:03:37   #23
MattHiggs
Higgelhoff

Some of the achievements are really fun to get. I had a great time lining up 10 cars to blow up. Surviving 5 minutes on 6 star wanted rating was a challenge!
Old 06-05-2008, 16:43:19   #24
Walrus Feeder

Like the new way you can drive a vehicle and shoot out the window at targets in front of you at the same time. Just done a great mission where you pursue some guy across half the city and try to take his tyres out so he has a horrific crash before stumbling out on foot only to get cut down by SMG rounds before he can!

Great fun pushing people into the lake too.
Old 15-05-2008, 00:55:52   #25
seng

I like killing too.
seng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 18:11:58   #26
Walrus Feeder

Yeah. molotovs are fun and grenades pack a punch, more more destructive than in San Andreas.
Old 26-05-2008, 13:08:57   #27
Walrus Feeder

Algonguin - WOW! Didn't take me as many missions as i thought it would to get access across the bridges. It really is like being in Manhattan and the feeling of amazement at the views etc from arriving from mundane Broker matches the same wow factor as entering Manhattan from Brooklyn in real life. The views from the top of the Empire State are corking too, and the police arrive if you start trying to snipe people from the top! Will have to see what happens when you lob a molotov off the roof. Oh, and i couldn't help seeing what happens if you leap off the top - the inevitable happens. What a game though.
Old 27-05-2008, 08:37:46   #28
King_Ghidra
pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

i'm on 36% ish

finally took a helicopter ride the other day, absolutely stunning.
King_Ghidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 22:50:35   #29
Walrus Feeder

Done tonnes of missions now and have accessed all parts of city. Been causing absolute mayhem when not on proper missions. I parked a car across a T junction and lobbed a grenade in causing one car to explode and 2 more to catch fire with the drivers falling out and rolling around on ground in flames in front of me! Suddenly another car exploded crushing some woman against a wall. Next up i outran the cops, pinched a helicopter and flew to Northernmost Algonquin and landed on a big offshore rock where i found a rocket launcher! I saw some dock worker standing about 80 metres away across the water and zoomed in with my sniper rifle at his balls and hit him where it hurts. This alerted the cops but they couldn't cross the water so only the police chopper which showed up was a threat. I shot at it's swat guys and one fell out into the water and then tried to swim ashore (amazing level of detail) Not long before i hit the pilot and the chopper crashed into sea. Then i flew over midtown with cops in pursuit and landed on Get A Life building. Again when the chopper showed up i riddled the side of it with AK47 fire and actually saw one of the swat team fall out and plummet downwards to his death. Next thing ofcourse to fire the RPG at it. It wiggled about through the air for a direct hit and i'm sure i saw someone fall out of it and land on a building before the chopper exploded on the stret below. Now with 5 police stars i flew over Central Park and legged it down the subway with cops someway behind. No bloody train showed up and then the cops and swat came down the stairs so i opened fire with AK47 at about 3 of them with innocent bystanders getting caught up in crossfire! Lobbed a grenade or two before fleeing down track and came up at next station where cops had arrived just as i surfaced. I legged it down a back alley or two grabbing some body armour and arrived at safehouse just before an armoured car did.

Such a great game and this isn't even the proper missions. Wow.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:11:38   #30
Walrus Feeder

Been playing this game on and off since May and finally completed the main story missions. The last mission i chose took me about 20-25 goes to accomplish. The last few missions you do in the game can be slightly different dependent what route Niko wishes to follow but they sure seem difficult.

Have love the game overall though and the graphics on the XBOX 360 have the experience so much better. Anyone else completed the main missions?