Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Games

Old 19-06-2007, 13:11:43   #1
Funko
Pubs Minister

Manhunt 2 becomes only second game ever to be banned in uk

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6172704.html

Quote:
The reasoning behind the decision is that, according to BBFC director David Cooke, "Manhunt 2 is distinguishable from recent high-end video games by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone in an overall game context which constantly encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing. There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game."
Sounds good.
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 14:16:20   #2
fp
hypnotoad

"Unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone". That sounds like EastEnders.
fp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 14:48:39   #3
maroule
Intermittent du spectacle

what was the first game banned?
maroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 14:54:53   #4
Funko
Pubs Minister

Carmageddon. (it is in the link)
Old 19-06-2007, 15:15:13   #5
King_Ghidra
pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

i never played carmageddon but it seemed to be very well received by the pc game community and had a popular modding scene
King_Ghidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 21:54:50   #6
Shining1
Evil Fanboy

They should ban more games. There's nothing wrong with it, it just serves to keep them away from the normal people and provide further tittilation to those who would enjoy them. =)
Old 20-06-2007, 08:03:21   #7
Skanky Burns
Skanky Bastard

You would enjoy living in Australia then.
Old 22-06-2007, 01:09:06   #8
Shining1
Evil Fanboy

It's a fine line. A massacre sim doesn't really line up well with similar standards as applied to movies and T.V. Chances are, if this game was a movie, it would also be getting the highest possible restrictions. A movie doesn't, however, engage the player as the actual protagnonist in the violence in the same was that a game does. Hence a game of similar style is probably right to be treated more aggressively than a movie.

There's more than a little politics in my viewpoint, I admit. I'm honestly a little sick of having my hobby represented by stuff that is basically indefensible except on the 'it's okay because it's just pure fantasy' level. There is no reason a game should not be subjected to the same scrutiny as any other form of entertainment, and action taken when it's seriously found wanting.

Perhaps it sucks that western civilisation is still unremittingly conservative about such matters. Fair enough. No reason a video game should be different, however.

Quote:
Sounds good.
No. It sounds fucking dull.
Old 22-06-2007, 06:57:35   #9
Centara Fugue
EVE Dropout

I played make-believe war when I was growing up. Usually my brother and our cousin would be the good guys, firing at enemies with futuristic weapons (lifted from movies and cartoons, mostly).

"Bang, you're dead!" has been around a long time. The guys you kill in video games are no more or less real than the ones we were killing when we played war.

I must give credit to my father for originally pointing out this similarity, albeit his version was playing cowboys and indians when he was a boy.
Centara Fugue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 07:56:07   #10
Funko
Pubs Minister

Quote:
Originally posted by Shining1
No. It sounds fucking dull.
Well, yes, ok, admittedly I never would have had any interest in it, but it's been banned so that makes it interesting.
Old 22-06-2007, 15:32:39   #11
Havoc

Quote:
Originally posted by Centara Fugue
I played make-believe war when I was growing up. Usually my brother and our cousin would be the good guys, firing at enemies with futuristic weapons (lifted from movies and cartoons, mostly).

"Bang, you're dead!" has been around a long time. The guys you kill in video games are no more or less real than the ones we were killing when we played war.

I must give credit to my father for originally pointing out this similarity, albeit his version was playing cowboys and indians when he was a boy.
One difference is, is that the when you were playing war as a child, your imagination propably wasn't cooking up grossly sadistic gorey death scenes. It was probably more of an innocent child's impression of death. Not sure, if I were a parent, if I'd let my child below 13 play manhunt 2. I'd like to think his imagination wasn't that warped yet.
Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 16:00:34   #12
fp
hypnotoad

If I was a parent I'd want to make sure my young children were playing games that were a hell of lot better than Manhunt 2.
fp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 00:23:30   #13
Shining1
Evil Fanboy

Playing war as a kid tends to involve teamwork, running around outside, and getting each other to accept a framework of rules that make the game work (in my experience the first several hours of such games would degenerate into arguements about things like super bullets that go around corners and explode, so I couldn't possibly have missed you and you couldn't possibly have seen me. No, you don't also have the super bullets. Only I have the super bullets. No, YOU suck.)

I.e a bunch of good stuff that, generally speaking, is actually pretty good for a kid. Generally speaking, everyone was a little wary of the kid who tried to use the game to enact long, drawn out self aggrandising execution scenes.

Games which emphasis the actual act of slaughtering an opponent, as opposed to the peripheral elements - teamwork, coordination, skill, planning, etc kinda creep me out in the same way. Counterstrike, for instance, is a seriously violent game with a fairly serious political face. Everything about it, though, is pure skill.

Even game elements like Mortal Kombat's fatality moves and Halo's face humping, while distasteful, are generally accepted because ultimately, they're just a little bit of extra humiliation you can pile on your real life opponent, rather than anything worthy in and of themselves.

Quote:
Well, yes, ok, admittedly I never would have had any interest in it, but it's been banned so that makes it interesting.
Heh. Maybe the first 5/10/15 games banned will retain this strange allure. I'd be more interested if something got banned because it shipped with hardcore sex between the characters in a My Little Pony game, say.

Raw ultra-violence is a bit like the chainsaw in DoomII. Fun for the first couple of zombies, then you realise you're bleeding too much life against the imps and go back to the shotgun. The initial naugthyness wears off fast and you're back to playing the actual game.
Old 23-06-2007, 02:25:10   #14
Centara Fugue
EVE Dropout

Good points all. I didn't realize just how crappy a game Manhunt 2 was to be. It sounds like a step backward in gameplay justified by the idea that the gore is really over the top.

I consider games an artform. It seems to me that there should be a free speech violation here somewhere. Then again, selling films of human death is illegal, I think, so maybe it is like that.
Centara Fugue is offline   Reply With Quote