Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Games

Old 11-05-2005, 18:28:37   #1
fp
hypnotoad

FOOTBALL MANAGER 2006

Quote:
LONDON, UK -- May 6th, 2005 - SEGA Europe Ltd is proud to announce the next step in Sports Interactive's genre-defining Football Manager™ series. Boasting a multitude of new and upgraded features, Football Manager™ 2006 is set to release on both PC and Mac in Winter 2005. The first set of new features being announced today are a small selection being implemented into the game. Football Manager™ 2006 is bursting with many more features that will be unveiled throughout the year.

"The new game is destined to build on the outstanding commercial and critical success of the last," Matt Woodley, Creative Director of SEGA. "Football Manager? is now the genre benchmark and once again our colleagues at Sports Interactive are creating a game which their fans will be delighted to play."

"Just like the real-life game, Football Manager™ continues to evolve as each new season comes and goes," says Miles Jacobson, Managing Director of Sports Interactive. "As has become traditional over the years, the changes that we've made this time around have been inspired not only by events and trends in the real world, but also by changes which have been suggested by our ever-keen fan base."

One of the many fan-inspired features to make it into FM 2006 will be that, for the first time, managers will be able to negotiate with their board of directors - not only for a better contract for themselves, but also for improved player wage budgets and increased transfer budgets or even stadium expansion. Be aware though, if you push too hard and don't reach the heights that the board specify, you'll soon be looking for a new job.

Half-time team talks add the ability to tell your players individually or collectively exactly what you thought of their first half performance, via the tactics screen. Will you be able to keep your players motivated, or will you cause a collapse in the second half?

Another welcome feature is the ability to manage players on a personal level. Unhappy players can cause huge morale problems for the whole squad and result in bad performances, so the new Player Interaction feature will help you to manage your team more closely.

A completely revamped training module simplifies training schedules and players' training progress, with your coaches becoming far more important members of backroom staff. New media items and expansion of the media module have been implemented, including but not limited to, cup draw news and man of the match news.

Want to know how many yellow cards the ref looking after your Saturday match has given in the last few matches? Now you can, with referee profiles and league tables, which add an extra element to tactics of the game. Maybe hard tackling is not a good idea for this Saturday's match!

Also adding an extra tactical element to FM 2006, the player positions feature has been taken one step further. A player position indicator will not only show you the best positions for your player and where to play on the pitch, it will also show player preferred moves for those players in your team. As well as this, the Player Positions display format has been upgraded, making it easier for the manger to pick the team.

MORE FEATURES TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON!

With all-new features, vastly improved gameplay and a heritage of unquestionable quality, Football Manager™ 2006 offers an unrivalled management simulation experience.

Football Manager™ 2006 will be released on both PC and Mac in Winter 2005
fp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 18:31:15   #2
fp
hypnotoad

Surprisingly (and potentially-awesomely) the game will also be available for the PSP.

Not quite sure how well the huge database number crunching processer-heavy engine will translate to a little handheld device, or how the GUI will work using the PSP controls, but the concept is pretty exciting!

Note that the features list is pretty striped down, as you would expect, but all the essentials are there. Who wants to be able to play in the Indonesian or Croatian leagues anyway?

Also note that the PSP version will revert to the old commentary style matches. No bad thing really.

Quote:
Features for Football Manager™ 2006 PSP:

* Select an active league from a minimum of 6 countries’
* Accurate data from the world renowned SI football database
* Up to date and accurate competition simulations
* Accurate European competitions and world rankings
* Complete tactical options to allow a manager to influence a match
* Every player has an accurate player history
* 30 players in a squad
* Realistic commentary style match engine and computer manager intelligence
* Staff feedback on the current squad via coach and physio reports
* Realistically simulated media involvement - including transfer rumors
* Agent approaches and dressing room unrest
* A full interactive transfer system simulating modern day negotiations, including player loans, signings etc.
* Realistically simulated world of football, giving information about transfers, results and injuries involving the big names in football

Football Manager™ 2006 will be released on PSP throughout Europe in Winter 2005.

Last edited by fp; 11-05-2005 at 18:33:32.
Old 18-05-2005, 14:02:29   #3
fp
hypnotoad

Pity post.

I thought this might have got a response of some kind. Maybe too many people have me on ignore.
Old 18-05-2005, 14:37:25   #4
King_Ghidra
pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

I haven't bought the original (yet/if at all). This will probably be the next one i get. I think Gramercy and Novacane are due an upgrade as well.

Main reason why i didn't respond was that i couldn't think of anything very interesting to say about it

The features sound about the same as always, let's face it. The only one that sounds vaguely interesting is the player preferred moves display. i have never been very much at ease with the runs aspect of the game, and a few CMs back i posted a long diatribe against the tactical element of the game on the boards that drew a response from one of the collyers.

Fundamentally i disagree with the idea that sets these weird runs for players, such as the right sided of two forwards running to the left, or vice versa. I still think it's quite ridiculous.

It's one thing to be saying to your players, 'get up the pitch, push on' and it's quite another to be saying, 'yes you the left sided dm, i want you to run 10 yards to your left '. The latter is so stupid, the places that players move on the pitch is dictated by so many other factors, certainly not some general desire to move to the left or something like that (and certainly not exclusively in one direction, as CM limits you).

Good forwards make good runs, that's nothing to do with tactics. Matching a quick player up against a slow one, or encouraging your team to play short, low balls rather than high balls to a smaller forward, that's tactics.

I used to find it so amusing in my serie a league when the computer controlled roma went the entire season unbeaten playing a regular 4-4-2 with no runs of any kind and forwards playing in midfield. Just made a mockery of the system.
King_Ghidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 14:52:48   #5
MattHiggs
Higgelhoff

Football Manager 2005 is a definite MUST BUY!
MattHiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 15:01:07   #6
novacane

Quote:
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
I haven't bought the original (yet/if at all). This will probably be the next one i get.

Main reason why i didn't respond was that i couldn't think of anything very interesting to say about it
ditto. I'm also planning to get this after a lack of conviction to buy its predecessor. It all sounds good and this thread is very worthwhile fp. But like K_G, I don't have anything to discuss at this stage.
Old 18-05-2005, 18:02:55   #7
fp
hypnotoad

Thanks.

I agree that the currently announced features for 2006 don't appear to be a great improvement over 2005. Hopefully they're still holding back on announcing an exciting until closer to launch.

The thing that has me most interested, though, is the PSP version. I've always wanted to play a portable version of a decent footie management sim. Providing they can do a decent port of the engine to the handheld the game should be something wonderous to behold.
Old 19-05-2005, 09:02:48   #8
Funko
Pubs Minister

I have a kind of self-imposed ban on Champ Man type games as they tend to eat your life.
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 09:54:21   #9
novacane

I find it a healthy distraction from going insane
Old 19-05-2005, 09:58:15   #10
Funko
Pubs Minister

It is very tempting, especially as nowadays you can play it in a window not full screen and I could have Champ Man on whilst I was watching TV on the PC...

oooh. An interesting thought.

I always found having something for the "waiting to process" moments was good.
Old 19-05-2005, 10:22:30   #11
novacane

Quote:
Originally posted by Funko
I always found having something for the "waiting to process" moments was good.
Like a wank?
Old 19-05-2005, 13:03:17   #12
Gramercy Riffs
Buff NUff

I'm going to buy this at the weekend I think.

The old Champ Man needs to be put down like the lame dog she has become.
Gramercy Riffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 13:42:22   #13
novacane

Not gonna just wait for the new one? I was planning to soldier with the old Champ man. Admit it is looking a bit dated though, especially as far as Leeds as concerned. Premiership? Viduka? Smith? Kewell?
Old 20-05-2005, 13:44:20   #14
Nav
Never gonna be as ugly as Lurker

Quote:
I have a kind of self-imposed ban on Champ Man type games as they tend to eat your life.
I might just get a PSP for FM 2006. It gets round the ban by being able to play it on the train etc! *jumps for joy*
Nav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 10:57:38   #15
novacane

Thank you K_G for supplying a copy of this.

Just steered Shrewsbury Town to the safety of 20th place in my first season. The board are delighted.

Its pretty good. i'm liking the interaction with other managers. Have already declared a public feud with alex Ferguson. He didn't respond

At first I liked the way they show the kits during games, but then thought it might be a bit unrealistic for teams to still have the same kits in say, 2015 or something, when obviously, they won't/ Small thing though really.
Old 26-05-2005, 13:18:14   #16
King_Ghidra

I'm just over half way through a season with mansfield. I started the game unemployed and the first appropriate job that came up was mansfield after keith curle got the bullet, the final straw being a 4-0 home defeat 7 games into the season that left the team mired in the relegation zone. We're now holding at mid-table-ish after some good wins.

Fun so far, and lots of good things about the game.
Old 31-05-2005, 09:01:29   #17
King_Ghidra

Well my first season ended up with plenty of downs and then an unexpected up. After some good mid-season promise, mansfield ended the season on a charltonesque fourteen-game winless streak. I also had some serious player problems, with no less than three players skipping training.

However, as i contemplated getting rid of the bad eggs during the off-season, Blackpool approached me to take over their team in league 1 and needless to say i jumped at the chance. They expect to struggle against relegation, but the squad looks a zillion times bettere than mansfield, where it was hard to find players with more than one or two stats in the double figures.
Old 31-05-2005, 14:02:32   #18
fp
hypnotoad

My 5th season in charge at Spurs ends with without a trophy yet again and yet another Cup Final defeat. This time I lost to Man Utd in the FA Cup Final.

I did finish 2nd in the Premiership for the first time though (4th, 11th, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd is my track record so far now) and had an outside chance of winning the title on the last day, which is always nice.

Lost in the Semi-Finals of the Champions League for the second year in a row, 1-0 on aggregate to Borussia Dortmund, which is much more respectable than my 5-0 mauling by Real Betis last season.

My total inability to win any silverware is depressing me now. In total I've lost 6 cup finals in 5 seasons, and have been knocked out in the semis of another 4 cups (including UCL). Dammit!

Major changes have been made to the squad to try and bring some success. Cesc Fabregas, Ewerthon and a regen have been sold for a combined £90 million. I've brought in Pazzini, De Rossi and a couple more decent young regens. Tried to buy Fernando Torres or Rooney but they didn't want to join me no matter how much I offered them. I even offered Rooney £150,000 a week to plus a £5 million signing on fee and the git still said no!!

Of the original Spurs players, only Robinson, Defoe and Carrick are still in my first team. Ledley King is a word-class centre back at Chelsea these days (sold him for 30 million in my second season).

A bad start to the season saw me lose 2 of my first 5 league games, which effectively ends my championship challenge. I'll stick out my 6th year in charge and try to win a trophy, but I think retirement is looming.
Old 31-05-2005, 14:18:37   #19
King_Ghidra

You're the reincarnation of Hector Cuper!

http://football.guardian.co.uk/conti...496041,00.html
Old 31-05-2005, 18:17:32   #20
fp
hypnotoad

"If there was a competition for coming second, Real Mallorca coach Héctor Cúper would still come second."

Old 02-06-2005, 12:30:01   #21
novacane

Quote:
However, as i contemplated getting rid of the bad eggs during the off-season, Blackpool approached me to take over their team in league 1 and needless to say i jumped at the chance.
Loyalty = 1
Ambition =20

I was offered the St Mirren job last night but decided to spurn the chance to manage in Scottish Division One to stick it out with my hometown club and bring unprecedented glory to Shrewsbury Town (hopefully)

Loyalty = 20
Ambition = 1
Old 02-06-2005, 12:43:53   #22
King_Ghidra

yeah true although i still have no idea why they offered me the job

but actually all my stats are either at 10 or 11 at the moment

i think they're updated real-time now rather than once or twice a season, but i'm not sure
Old 17-06-2005, 14:01:57   #23
Nav

I finally got this the other day! Decided I needed a right winger for chelsea so bought Beckham for 50mil. (hell it was my demo game from lastyear... so wasnt taking it that seriously!).

Quite sure now he's not worth that much. He missed 5 free kicks in row! That's 10mil per missed kick. What a rip-off. (substituted him and Joe Cole steps up and scores one first time... ).

Oh then I promptyl lost 4-0 to Arsenal away....
Old 23-06-2005, 10:06:17   #24
Nav

Arrrgh. Lost the premiership by 1point. I hate this game!
Old 23-07-2005, 01:26:25   #25
fp
hypnotoad

Oh, and just in case you needed another reason to buy a PSP....

Quote:
A surprise game announced at the meeting was Konami's World Soccer Winning Eleven 9: Ubiquitous Edition, which will make its way to the PSP on September 15, simultaneous with the release of the new "ceramic white" PSP model. Ubiquitous Edition seems to fundamentally play the same as the upcoming console edition slated for release next month in Japan. The game is titled "Ubiquitous" since it can be brought anywhere and played with the PSP's Wi-Fi connection.
Yes it has a silly name in Japan, but in case anyone doesn't know that means Pro Evo Soccer will come out for the PSP.
Old 23-07-2005, 01:27:21   #26
fp
hypnotoad

Quote:
[...] the game will feature some form of connectivity with the PS2 version of Winning Eleven 9.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:00:39   #27
fp
hypnotoad

FOOTBALL MANAGER 20065 FEATURES

* Match Commentary revamp - Heaps of new commentary lines used in match for added atmosphere and detail to identify what's happening on the pitch.

* "Player Form" & "Player Stats" screens - More pertinent information regarding a players form and match stats, presented in a user-friendly manner.

* "Quick" tactic mode - Now you can shout from the touchlines to make small or full tactical changes without having to stop the match.

* Improved match engine realism - Working with Ray Houghton, the ex-Liverpool and Republic of Ireland player, SI have analysed every area of the match engine looking for areas to improve the engine to make it the most realistic experience ever.

* Injury module revamp - No more "physio reports" needed after injuries as the physio's now come to you. Full feedback on injuries, including various treatment options.

* General UI improvements - Improvements to the user interface make it easier to find your way around the game and reduce the amount of mouse button clicks.

* Ticker Bar - Not only can you gain score updates during matches but a configurable news ticker bar updates you on news from around the globe, or just locally if you prefer.

* Media overhaul - Loads more information is now given through news items using an all new "player bio" system, this is inclusive of, but not limited to, club landmark year news, better feedback on your start as a manager, more celebration of success and much more info about players in media items.

* Full Time Team Talks - With the addition of Half Time team talks to Football Manager 2006 , Sports Interactive felt it only fair to add full time team talks to allow you to comment on team or individual performances at the end of the match to the players. How will they react?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:01:00   #28
fp
hypnotoad

Old 08-08-2005, 15:13:38   #29
novacane

This looks cool. Is there a site with more screenshots and "stuff"?
Old 08-08-2005, 16:20:11   #30
novacane

Theres lots here........

Sports Interactive
Old 08-08-2005, 16:26:43   #31
King_Ghidra

Quote:
Originally posted by fp

* Improved match engine realism - Working with Ray Houghton, the ex-Liverpool and Republic of Ireland player, SI have analysed every area of the match engine looking for areas to improve the engine to make it the most realistic experience ever.

errr....that's a joke right?
Old 25-09-2005, 09:35:41   #32
fp
hypnotoad

FYI...

A Beta demo of FM 2006 has been released. Get it from www.sigames.com.
Old 27-09-2005, 13:11:12   #33
Venom
Look out behind you!

Anybody got a place to download the demo where you don't have to log in?

Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 13:15:46   #34
King_Ghidra

edonkey?

why anyway, you allergic to logins?
Old 27-09-2005, 13:17:52   #35
Funko
Pubs Minister

Quote:
Originally posted by fp
FOOTBALL MANAGER 20065 FEATURES
Wow. I've missed a few seasons.
Old 27-09-2005, 13:24:05   #36
Venom
Look out behind you!

Quote:
edonkey?

why anyway, you allergic to logins?
They're after me again!

Old 27-09-2005, 13:31:11   #37
fp
hypnotoad

Quote:
Originally posted by Venom
Anybody got a place to download the demo where you don't have to log in?
I believe that SI are not letting the fansites host it, presumably so they force people to register on their website. So peer2peer networks are your best bet.
Old 27-09-2005, 13:44:12   #38
Venom
Look out behind you!

And why would they want to force me to register? So they can get me and my personal information. Those bastards.

Old 27-09-2005, 13:45:06   #39
Funko
Pubs Minister

Make some shit up.

Call yourself, I dunno, Edgar from new york.
Old 27-09-2005, 14:05:49   #40
Venom
Look out behind you!

How did you know my real name!?!?

Old 27-09-2005, 14:10:11   #41
Funko
Pubs Minister

You don't have a problem registering for fake porn sites do you.
Old 27-09-2005, 14:17:27   #42
Venom
Look out behind you!

I use your name for those.

Old 29-09-2005, 04:04:38   #43
Colon
prima!

One question: can you build fancy stadiums?

- Drekkus
Colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 07:00:44   #44
fp
hypnotoad

You always could before, so I can't see why not.
Old 29-09-2005, 09:56:06   #45
novacane

Build fancy stadiums?

or just be able to request or be informed of expansions?
Old 29-09-2005, 10:02:32   #46
Funko
Pubs Minister

I think maybe Colon wants the stadium expansion pack.
Old 29-09-2005, 13:35:28   #47
fp
hypnotoad

I'm pretty sure that it was possible for a club to build an entirely new stadium, although you don't have any control over when it happens. Didn't occur in any of my games, though, so maybe I'm wrong.
Old 29-09-2005, 13:48:19   #48
King_Ghidra

I'm pretty sure that it was possible for a club to force all of the players to have sex changes, although you don't have any control over when it happens. Didn't occur in any of my games, though, so maybe I'm wrong.
Old 29-09-2005, 14:08:38   #49
fp
hypnotoad

Old 29-09-2005, 14:44:56   #50
Colon
prima!

Quote:
I think maybe Colon wants the stadium expansion pack.
I don't know? I've been looking out for a new football manager game ever since Premier Manager 3 and Ultimate Soccer Manager 2*, but I always had the impression all of them were strictly focusing on the sportive aspects of leading a team. I want to keep myself busy with the commercial aspects as well, including building/improving the stadium and graphically see the results**.

*released sometime during the mid-90's

**I'm a sucker for stadiums

- Drekkus
Colon is offline   Reply With Quote