Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Technoglow

Old 05-03-2006, 11:06:08   #1
Scabrous Birdseed
for your usergroup and post count

So, why should I get an MP3 player then?

So, I kinda miss listening to music while walking or on the bus. My old CD walkman has started making worrying noises, has apparently lost some if its jolt protection, and is generally acting up.

So I went to the store to check out the new fangled MP3 players, which on futher inspection proved bloody expensive for the capacity, with no battery life and apparently very limited audio quality. So what exactly are the reasons I shouldn't be getting another CD player instead?
Scabrous Birdseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:23:33   #2
Gary
Putting you lot right since 2001

Fashion - you don't want to look an old fart, so you follow the flock
Aleph-null bottles of beer on the wall.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 19:19:03   #3
paiktis22
Productive

I have a CD Player. Goes with my age. Recently achieved 30. Which was I thought something to worry about untill I got involved with a 30 year old girl. All my angst was gone for ever in comparison.
So CD player.
Old 05-03-2006, 21:33:58   #4
Deacon
Washes his hands.

I bought a Panasonic portable CD player that also plays MP3s. It can handle CD-R and CD-RW media. Mine doesn't have a built-in radio, but other models do. It has very good battery life. I use it for music.

I later bought an iRiver iFP-990. It's a 256MB flash player with a color display. It cost twice as much for less than half the capacity, but it records. It fast forwards and fast reverses, which the Panasonic can't do with MP3s. It plays MP3, OGG, WMA and ASF files. It has an FM radio. I don't use it much for music playback. What I do the most is play back spoken-word tracks. MP3 is generally better than the AM I'm used to. I use it to record things from FM. By making 30 second snippets of interesting songs, I have something I can use later to identify them. When I've compiled a list of what I've heard, I then go and download the pirated tracks from the Internet.

I don't have a hard drive player, but I want to get a Cowon X5L. It has all the features of my iRiver and then some, plus a 30GB capacity. It's doubly expensive again, but I'd use it for music. It supports lossless formats and has enough capacity that I wouldn't have to change discs much.

If mobility is no concern, another route is a remote-controlled front end that accesses a server running on a PC. There are a few of them out there from D-Link and others, and I believe that they also do internet streams as well, though that might be a paid service.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:35:33   #5
Sir Penguin
Wise sprite

I don't care if you get an MP3 player.

SP
And by opposing fuck them up?

-- Samuel L. Jackson as Hamlet
Sir Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote