Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > CounterPoint

Old 18-05-2005, 15:14:28   #1
alsieboo
Pleb

GCSE A-levels jobs and such

I've probably asked this before, but will A-levels actually get me anywhere?
Old 18-05-2005, 15:23:34   #2
Rodgers
Branch manager

*awaits post from K_G*

Learn how to use this new forum joke here
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 15:27:07   #3
MattHiggs
Higgelhoff

Quote:
Originally posted by alsieboo
I've probably asked this before, but will A-levels actually get me anywhere?
It all depends on where you want to go and the effort you're willing to put in.
MattHiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 15:28:25   #4
Martini
Princess of the Dark Side

Nowhere.

I have more than decent A levels, but look how I turned out

Just like you said, you leave my life, I'm better off dead
Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 15:32:00   #5
Eklektikos
Eponymous

Quote:
Originally posted by MattHiggs
It all depends on where you want to go and the effort you're willing to put in.
Quite.

It's perfectly possible to get a fairly secure, potentially reasonably well paid job with only A-levels (hell, if I managed it then it can't be that difficult), but it's unlikely to be particularly exciting or lead to dizzying heights of wealth and/or power.

You're honestly probably better off going to uni if you can, if only because it'll give you more options and more of a chance to figure out exactly what it is that you wish to do.
"In general, someone is a thing of value if and only if he or she is willing to submit to whatever degradation and abuse is required to preserve that position. Anything less betrays a lack of commitment." - Steve Albini
Eklektikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 15:33:44   #6
Kitsuki
Mooooo.

University, and that's about it...
Kitsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 15:39:10   #7
alsieboo
Pleb

But would any uni take someone on who had 2 GCSE's, 2 a-levels and a 1st diploma in performing arts?
Old 18-05-2005, 15:40:45   #8
MattHiggs
Higgelhoff

I think you would have to speak to a career's advisor or a tutor at your college. There are quite a few universities that would take you on, depending whether they think you have the aptitude and commitment to complete a degree.
MattHiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 15:41:02   #9
Tizzy
Lazy Nerd owner

Depends on the uni and the course, the entry requirements can vary a lot

Tizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 15:42:43   #10
Debaser
Badass Monkey

Depends what you want to do and where you want to do it. If you want to do some kind of performing arts degree then you probably don't even need the 2 a-levels to get into some fairly average university. All depends though... can't hurt to apply, and you'll pretty much always get a place somewhere through clearing if you're not fussy...
Debaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 15:48:32   #11
Beta1
[works only in german, sorry]

Quote:
Originally posted by alsieboo
But would any uni take someone on who had 2 GCSE's, 2 a-levels and a 1st diploma in performing arts?
yes but it depends on the course and the uni.

On the other hand theres nothing wrong with finding a job for a few years and then going to uni. What ever you do don't go just because you can.
Old 18-05-2005, 15:54:42   #12
King_Ghidra
pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

for jobs, experience is more important, but some employers won't even look at your cv unless you have achieved some minimum educational standard. it's a shame, but i can understand why some larger employers do it.

Anyway, i would recommend doing something sufficient to get you to uni, because debt aside, uni is a wonderful life experience.
King_Ghidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 18:14:07   #13
fp
hypnotoad

2 GCSE's?

In that case I should point out that most Uni's, even crappy ones, probably won't accept you unless you have at least a C grade in GCSE Maths and English. If you're missing one of those you could have problems.
fp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 18:18:49   #14
fp
hypnotoad

It may well hurt you in trying to get a job too, come to that.
Old 18-05-2005, 18:28:10   #15
MDA

Location: updated his email address and can look but not post
Strathclyde took my wife, and she was educated in the US.
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 18:30:31   #16
fp
hypnotoad

Did they give her back?
Old 18-05-2005, 18:51:14   #17
alsieboo
Pleb

I know I shot myself in the back leaving school early, but I'm doing GCSE english and maths, I think I'm going to get a C, if I'm lucky in math, and an A/B in english.

Doing PA is making me want to become an opera singer a lot more than I did before, but you don't need to go to uni to do that, or so I'm lead to believe, but other than that, I just want to get by.
Old 18-05-2005, 19:20:01   #18
fp
hypnotoad

I think the only qualification required to be an opera singer is to sing really fucking amaxingly well. If you can do that I'm sure you'll be fine.

One would also imagine that being able to sing in Italian with a decent accent may also come in handy.
Old 18-05-2005, 19:23:28   #19
MDA

Location: updated his email address and can look but not post
Quote:
Originally posted by fp
Did they give her back?
Ah, good point.

Their loss, my gain.
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 19:49:59   #20
alsieboo
Pleb

I can sing well enough to get noticed, but I need a professional opinion really. Singing in different languages isn't a problem, and I'm working on the accents
Old 18-05-2005, 20:33:46   #21
The Norks
Plenty O'Dairy

Darling, you arent gonna make Oxford with 2 A-levels, but who cares, they are all anally retentive trust fund virgins anyway ;-)

Like K_G I'd encourage you to go to Uni (and I did it on 2 A-levels, so you can too), BUT be aware that it means a lot of debt these days. So if you do go, make sure you are doing a degree that will have some worth in the civilian world. I did ENglish, but thats fairly meaningless except in that it shows employers you are a 'graduate'. To many employers the word 'graduate' is a magic key, but even then graduate wages are very low now. I'd be shocked if you could stand working for a Corporate graduate scheme, you're too individual. So maybe you need to consider what it is you see yourself doing in the next 5-10 years.

If you truly want to do singing, you need to do some research into music schools/scholarships, and be prepared to honestly assess your ability. Lots of people can sing, but very few are the new Charlotte Church/Maria Callas. A lot of musicians have 'day jobs' because work for them usually means a mixture of weddings, gigs, and professional bookings, and the money is fairly low, so maybe you should think about being a singing plumber!

I guess, in summary: look before you leap. I can tell you from experience how expensive course/uni hopping is (I went to 3 separate universities in the end, and I am mired in debt!!

Its also worth bearing in mind that the three years you spend at Uni could be used to advance you in a career thats relevant. I don't see you in an office somehow though.

And at your age, no one but NO ONE has 'shot themselves in the foot'. I'm 30 this year and I'm career changing, and I know people who have done it at 40 and 50, so its possible for everyone with some thorough planning.

A really good book that could help you is 'What Colour is your parachute?' Its the worlds best selling careers handbook, and guides you through a process that helps you discover possible jobs and job routes, and lists personality/aptitude tests free online. Or you could look on Prospects.ac.uk, which is for graduates but has a good section which will list different job areas and try to match you/describe them to you. It also has a newsletter that will give you an idea of whats out there for graduates.

Message me if you want a chat about it.
Old 18-05-2005, 20:48:25   #22
Lazarus and the Gimp
Howling at the moon

One thing to bear in mind. It probably takes a lot more work to get 2 A levels than it takes to get 2 GCSE's.

Then again, I set out to take 3 A levels and ended up with 5. Nothing is simple, except Drekkus.
Lazarus and the Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 20:56:00   #23
The Norks
Plenty O'Dairy

I don't think A-levels are hard, its all down to technique, rather than subject matter. People think 'oooh history, that means learning lots of stuff' but its really more about learning the types of things examiners want to hear, and applying facts to that model. Obviously this only applies to arts!
Old 18-05-2005, 23:26:36   #24
alsieboo
Pleb

My singing teacher says I've got a fabulous voice, but she says that to most people, so I'm taking that at face value, but like I said, I need a professional opinion before I'd consider going further. Various people from the RSCM have commented on my 'lovely' voice, and I did get a place in Oxford Girls Choir through audition, and any singing exams I've taken have gone well, but meh. Doesn't necessarily mean a thing.

I'll see who I can manage to talk to about it at college. Thanks guys
Old 18-05-2005, 23:28:11   #25
Provost Harrison
Registered (alcohol ab)User

Quote:
Originally posted by The Norks
Darling, you arent gonna make Oxford with 2 A-levels, but who cares, they are all anally retentive trust fund virgins anyway ;-)
*ahem* Not so much of the anally retentive trust fund, you
Provost Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 09:17:54   #26
Funko
Pubs Minister

Quote:
Originally posted by fp
I think the only qualification required to be an opera singer is to sing really fucking amaxingly well. If you can do that I'm sure you'll be fine.

One would also imagine that being able to sing in Italian with a decent accent may also come in handy.
Well... you need to be able to read music to a very high standard etc. as well.
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 14:03:40   #27
fp
hypnotoad

Naturally, I ust mentioned the two things that I thought were the hardest to learn. As long as her voice is good enough (something she would have little control over, I suspect - "either you got it or you ain't") I'm sure she'll be able to pick up everything else she needs through hard work.
Old 19-05-2005, 18:35:22   #28
The Norks
Plenty O'Dairy

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
*ahem* Not so much of the anally retentive trust fund, you
ah yes, I forgot the collapse in a corner after two halves of shandy virgins!

;-)
Old 19-05-2005, 18:35:59   #29
The Norks
Plenty O'Dairy

Quote:
Originally posted by fp
Naturally, I ust mentioned the two things that I thought were the hardest to learn. As long as her voice is good enough (something she would have little control over, I suspect - "either you got it or you ain't") I'm sure she'll be able to pick up everything else she needs through hard work.
hard work, and sleeping with powerful people.