Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > Site Issues > Archive > CounterPoint Archive

Old 03-07-2004, 19:39:55   #201
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

AngelHorns, I think we have a few shared traits. The main thing that *I* see that you do that helps keeping the fight going, even when you try to exit gracefully and leave "the idiot" (whoever they may be at the moment) alone is that you have to get in the last word. And then they have to get in the last word... and it just goes on.

Should you just let people walk on you? Certainly not. But why are you arguing with them? Is it because you have to correct them? Are you just having fun? Trying to educate the other readers about the truth?

Did you and Kory need to have your disagreement out in the threads? If you were concerned for her, then why *fight*? When I offer a person a helping hand and they slap it down in real life, I may say a few short, nasty words (because I'm hurt), but I then back off and leave them alone. If she rejected your offer, why carry the issue forward? That's what I wonder. You cannot help someone that does not want help. I believe you already know and understand that.

Oerdin is right. The only reason to have an argument here is for your own amusement. Debates can be intellectually stimulating, but fights are purely for your own enjoyment. If you didn't enjoy it, you'd quit doing it, wouldn't you? Surely you cannot think that the opinion of American Rednecks, Chocolate hoarding Swiss, or anyone other then the people you know and are friends with in RL is important.
Old 03-07-2004, 19:40:14   #202
Spartak
_

2 cbeast Gotcha
Old 03-07-2004, 19:40:42   #203
Dyl Ulenspiegel
voorvechter van modernearchitectuur

Old 03-07-2004, 19:40:42   #204
Spartak
_

Bollocks - beaten by a mega DS post

The shame....
Old 03-07-2004, 19:49:03   #205
zmama
Counterglow CEO

And yet so fitting

The cats nestle close to their kittens now.
The lambs have laid down with the sheep.
You're cozy and warm in your bed, my dear
Please go the fuck to sleep.
Old 03-07-2004, 19:51:19   #206
Spartak
_

Old 03-07-2004, 19:52:28   #207
Vincent
Unchained

Don't make that face, remember it was YOUR fault.
Old 03-07-2004, 19:54:28   #208
Spartak
_

Old 03-07-2004, 19:55:35   #209
Spartak
_

I should watch it - you never know if the wind blows it might stick.
Old 03-07-2004, 20:02:00   #210
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

Oh, please. That wasn't a mega post. Unless it was John3 (the sniper) posting it.
Old 03-07-2004, 20:33:18   #211
Kory
Insane writer chyk

Quote:
Originally posted by DevilsH@lo

I really don't see the point of this discussion, Kory was whinging like fuck about other people's problem's, i would have been alot less delicate than any other post on that thread. After all who gives a fuck about other people's problem's, empathise,sympathise do what you will, but at the end of the day you can't do anything about someone else's problem's so why worry about em. Fucked if i know.
You know, the difference between me and you and AH?

I'm human. I care about when my friends are hurt. You guys obviously don't. Or else you'd understand why it would bother me. I wasn't posting about random other people. I was posting about some of my closest friends and the way they were hurt and for some strange reason -- again, the being human thing comes to mind -- that actually bothers me. I'm sorry you can't wrap your mind around that.

You know the other difference between me and you and AH?

Well, there's loads more, but the one I think is important:

That post was months and months ago. I said nothing else to AH in the meantime. But she had to dredge it up, which is really why this all happened. And then she said "but let's drop it" but had to keep trying to have the last word.

So, here's the real difference: I know the best way to drop it, which is to ignore it. Her. And now, you.

-- Kory (BTW, before now, the ONLY person on my ignore list was AnnC. Which should tell you something but, sadly, won't.)
Old 03-07-2004, 20:53:06   #212
Dyl Ulenspiegel

Quote:
Originally posted by Kory
the ONLY person on my ignore list was AnnC.
You read Jno mIllrr's posts????
Old 03-07-2004, 20:55:29   #213
Kory
Insane writer chyk

I may have not read them with any particular attention, but he never managed to annoy me enough to get on my ignore list.

Heck, Japher isn't even on my ignore list.

-- Kory (I still always want to make your name start with 'Tyl'...)
Old 03-07-2004, 20:57:10   #214
Dyl Ulenspiegel

Dyl, Till, Tyl, take your pick - this name has been Jonmillered for centuries.
Old 03-07-2004, 21:34:27   #215
Chris
really doesn't pay attention

Quote:
Originally posted by Dyl Ulenspiegel
What's with all this alphas and betas? Can I be the Omega man?
You want to be Charlton Heston?
Old 03-07-2004, 21:39:27   #216
Kory
Insane writer chyk

Someone quoted A certain person as asking if she's just supposed to let people say what they like.

Here's my thought: Certainly. Why not?

I won't say there's no one here whose opinion matters to me; I've made friends here. But there are a lot of people here I either haven't gotten to know or who I don't really like much. Why should I give their opinions equal weight?

This isn't just true of the internet. This is true everywhere. You really have to pick and choose what opinions to take to heart and which ones to discard -- and that's true even of the opinions you respect. I may pay attention to my friends but ultimately sometimes we disagree. You cannot live your life based entirely on other people's opinions.

The flip side of that, is, of course, you can't live your life entirely separated from what other people think. The really tricky bit is figuring out where to draw the line.

If all of my friends think I've done something wrong, it's time to re-examine my own behavior. But if some random person who I don't know is trash-talking me, well, that's really their problem, not mine.

-- Kory (I feel I ought to sing a Kenny Rogers song here. Bonus points for people who know which one.)
Old 03-07-2004, 21:40:30   #217
Chris

The gambler?
Old 03-07-2004, 21:43:18   #218
Kory
Insane writer chyk

* Kory awards 2 Cool Points to Chris.

Precisely!

-- Kory (Knows when to hold 'em.)
Old 03-07-2004, 21:45:23   #219
Chris

It was the only Kenny Rogers song I ever heard of.
Old 03-07-2004, 22:03:53   #220
Spartak
_

Kenny who?
Old 03-07-2004, 22:07:13   #221
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

1) Sod is not really that expensive. It is however difficult to maintain unless you own stock in the water company.

2) Laz, you've insulted me for the last time. Pistols at dawn and, after that, I'm going to put you on Ignore, Double Secret Probation and the Island of Alba.

3) Kory R.E: She Who Cannot Be Named...oh no you didn't!!! Lock the doors and shutter the windows...

4) DS: I don't even know where to begin.

5) Dyl: I always think of a pickle. Dyl Piklspiegel.

6) Let's open a debate forum where we can go when we really want to fight. Understood upon entrance that someone is looking for trouble and that what happens in Fight Forum stays in Fight Forum.
Old 03-07-2004, 23:01:58   #222
Help TCO

This is getting boring. Talk some wannabe writer crap. I can shit on you both then. Say how you've sent in your work to contests where you had to pay or self-published or something like that. I will help you by cock-lashing you, then.
Old 03-07-2004, 23:20:01   #223
Kory
Insane writer chyk

TCO, I hope you're not talking to me. I'm not a wannabe. I've had non-fiction published.

Fiction, well, we'll see in a few months how the first novel fairs. The shorts are a sideline for me. Last rejection I got suggested I submit more, so I'm getting close.

BTW, not all paying contests are crap. Things with a minimal fee to cover prize money are reaonable. It takes a while to learn how to separate the scams from the good contests (which is one thing writer's sites are invaluable for) but contest with a fee is not an automatic ding. Doesn't Writers of the Future have a submission fee?

Not that I'd submit to WotF, but it's a legit contest.

-- Kory (Just don't submit to poetry.com...)
Old 03-07-2004, 23:34:13   #224
Help TCO

http://www.sff.net/people/Brian_Plante/chronicles.htm
Old 04-07-2004, 00:44:56   #225
DevilsH@lo
Gone and Long forgotten.

You seem to be incapable of differentiating between sympathising/empathising with other people's problem's and taking those problem's on board as your own.

Enjoy your life drowned in other people's misery. Could be a short one should you ever happen to find yourself stood on a high quiet bridge,contemplating all your friends associated failings.

Yes i'm callous, yes i'm heartless, cold, unfeeling call it what you will, but then i don't spend my life worrying about problems i can't resolve or have very little if any influence over. And hey guess what, my blood pressure is fine.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:02:40   #226
Dyl Ulenspiegel

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
15) Dyl: I always think of a pickle. Dyl Piklspiegel.
Post the recipe, please.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:03:32   #227
Dyl Ulenspiegel

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris
You want to be Charlton Heston?
Only as Moses.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:42:07   #228
Chris

So, you secretly want to be the Jewish messiah who leads them out of bondage?
Old 04-07-2004, 12:44:28   #229
Dyl Ulenspiegel

Secretly?
Old 04-07-2004, 12:48:38   #230
Vincent
Unchained

into bondage!
Old 04-07-2004, 14:20:22   #231
zmama
Counterglow CEO

Yaaay!

The cats nestle close to their kittens now.
The lambs have laid down with the sheep.
You're cozy and warm in your bed, my dear
Please go the fuck to sleep.
Old 04-07-2004, 14:22:16   #232
Dyl Ulenspiegel

Old 04-07-2004, 16:11:46   #233
Lazarus and the Gimp
Howling at the moon

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkstar
Angel, I didn't see you backing down when you and Kory first conversed. Just you digging in your heels.

Read the two threads again. I see two clear attempts by AH to aimed at conciliating/defusing, which appear to have been clearly overlooked in the rampage to launch some kind of crusade by over-excited 3rd parties.

Quote:
In time, if Kory sticks around, I believe you'll see she has a very strong, positive outlook. She just vents occassionally online. That's not looking for help. Kory generally *asks* for help on matters she wants help on. But you haven't known her long enough to have seen it. With luck, and if you both stick around, you can see that for yourself.
Any helpful tips for me? Seeing as I've been on this circuit 5 years as a daily poster and I did exactly the same thing?
Old 04-07-2004, 16:16:02   #234
Lurker
CG Economist & Canadian of the Year

You're beyond help.
Old 04-07-2004, 16:21:42   #235
Lazarus and the Gimp
Howling at the moon

In general, yes- but this is a specific.
Old 04-07-2004, 20:28:46   #236
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

Yeah...quit caring you loser.
Old 04-07-2004, 20:31:57   #237
Chris

Caring is for lesser men.
Old 04-07-2004, 22:09:11   #238
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
5) Dyl: I always think of a pickle. Dyl Piklspiegel.

6) Let's open a debate forum where we can go when we really want to fight. Understood upon entrance that someone is looking for trouble and that what happens in Fight Forum stays in Fight Forum.
#5) Strange... I always thought he should use a pickle as his avatar. Or the Power Puffs Mayor holding a pickle jar.

#6) Er... wasn't that what FFZ's DMZ forum (whatever it ended up being named) was for?
Old 04-07-2004, 22:15:20   #239
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Read the two threads again. I see two clear attempts by AH to aimed at conciliating/defusing, which appear to have been clearly overlooked in the rampage to launch some kind of crusade by over-excited 3rd parties.

Any helpful tips for me? Seeing as I've been on this circuit 5 years as a daily poster and I did exactly the same thing?
Well, Laz, judging from the PM's I've gotten over it, it may be a difference in language usage. And it's hard to truly reconcile while getting in the last word about a matter.

You don't claim you are "just trying to help". You simply speak your mind, and don't claim it's for someone's own good or because you care about them... unless that's what you really think. Just how you come across to me. Feel free to continue to educate me though. I like to learn.
Old 04-07-2004, 22:48:42   #240
Kory
Insane writer chyk

Laz, you didn't piss me off. I didn't ask for advice, and you did give it, but your advice wasn't full of assumptions about my personal state of mind or what I was feeling about things. It was far more no-nonsense and there wasn't that cloying "I can help you, cuz I'm so smart and good and wonderful" vibe.

Plus, if I had told you I wasn't looking for advice, you wouldn't have spent months nursing a grudge. I hope.

As far as AH's "defusing" -- it doesn't count with me if it's accompanied by "You're wrong and I'm right, but I'll be the mature one here and suggest we back down." Which is precisely how I read it. Because, see, she wasn't right. Or, frankly, mature.

Not that it matters, since I won't be interacting with her, but since you brought it up.

It's more or about tone and attitude than anything with me. I can disagree with someone and think they're wrong and just argue flat-out with them but still like and even respect them. Ask Darkstar. But I can even agree with someone and still think they're so full of themselves they shit miniature replications, contrarily. The people who fall in the latter category I just avoid.

-- Kory (Irrepressible bitch.)
Old 04-07-2004, 23:48:55   #241
DevilsH@lo
Gone and Long forgotten.

I don't really see the need to continue this argument further, but AH made a judgement call on your post, something which other people have done in case's alot more serious than this, which they got a slap on the back for (anyone remember the chairman yang incident????)

She wasn't saying oh your definately depressed, it was more a case of your post would suggest you could be suffering from depression it may be worthwhile going and speaking to someone about it.

I don't know wether this was a language issue or what, but it comes across as a massive chip to be honest which has spiralled well out of control.

So you're not depressed, great, wonderful, fantastic, AH never said you WERE only that you could be and you should maybe go and see someone about it.

So which would you have preferred???

The "FUCK YOU I DON'T GIVE A TOSS ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS" approach, or someone trying to empathise and possibly offer a suggestion you may or may not have thought of???

Seem's like AH was screwed either way, Heartless bitch, or meddling cow as the case may be.

And incidentally she is neither.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:00:41   #242
Help TCO

Jesus H mutherfucking Christ. Drop it you homos. What a buch of old ladies.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:04:09   #243
DevilsH@lo
Gone and Long forgotten.

coming from a man driving a car called "Fairlady" :thumbs:

And yes mine is called silvia. Those crazy japanese bastards.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:34:12   #244
Help TCO

Let's talk some car talk or scratch balls or something.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:34:43   #245
Help TCO

BTW, both Zs have been female.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:37:21   #246
Kory
Insane writer chyk

Quote:
Originally posted by Help TCO
Jesus H mutherfucking Christ. Drop it you homos. What a buch of old ladies.
A few things occur:

1. No one is forcing you to read this thread.
2. "Homos" used as a pejorative is the insult of a small mind.
3. "Homos" usually is a pejorative referring to males. I have tits and a vulva, i.e., not male.
pi. It's not insulting anyhow. Why would I be insulted by someone calling me gay?
4. I am an old lady. At least, so sayeth my back.
5. I can see why you rubbed people at the writing sites you refer to the wrong way.

-- Kory (Will discuss any damn thing she wants. Laz asked, I answered.)
Old 05-07-2004, 03:51:39   #247
Help TCO

Statement stands.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:39:01   #248
Dyl Ulenspiegel

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkstar
#5) Strange... I always thought he should use a pickle as his avatar. Or the Power Puffs Mayor holding a pickle jar.
No idea what the last one is, but it sounds good. Get me that pic.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:49:12   #249
Oerdin
Ho Ho Ho

If other people can "Ole Poly" in long winding threads about that incredibly nerdy civ site then what sort of catch phrase can we come up with to use on long winding flame war threads?
Old 05-07-2004, 06:54:36   #250
Vincent
Unchained

Define we