Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Music

Old 10-06-2004, 09:39:37   #1
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Location: Drowning in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry
Reducing noise on samples

Any advice?

I was sampling loads of stuff yesterday and one of them is from a bad source so it sounds all hissy.

Something free ideally.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:24:44   #2
protein
a dirty rotter.

hmm. It's a tricky one. I tend to not use crap samples and samples with copywright issues now but if I absolutely have to use a hissy sample I'll try and comb filter out the hiss/hum frequency. Sometimes the hiss is across the spectrum so there's nothing you can do apart from play up the hiss/humm and pretend it's intentional by distorting it or something.

I reckon since you're using Reason you should put a parametric equaliser in line after the sampler. Create a thin peak and turn the gain right up. Run the peak up and down the frequencies and if the hiss really sounds loud or honks in one particular place then turn the gain right down. You have now effectively found and cut out the bad frequency.

If it's as bad as some of the 80s Nostalgia samples you linked to on the main forum then I wouldn't even bother trying to fix it and I'd go for the playing up the bad quality option.

I guess you could also take a little top off if it's a high hiss and you could put a touch of reverb on to soften it. You could also try masking the hiss/humm by having a hissy hummy sound in the mix at the same time.

If you've got Reason 2 or 2.5 you could try the Unison stereo effect and if you don't you could try a little chorus. Or a lot of chorus.

Or you could stick it through a chorus, plug the left and right of the outputs into their own phasers and then distortion units then pan them left and right, chuck them through the vocoder, through a delay on the left and a reverb on the right etc.... Or anything you can think of to fuck the sound up so it's unrecognisable. That's the beauty of Reason.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:45:55   #3
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Thanks.

This is in Cakewalk. I am only using Reason to create loops for export. I dunno if that's the best way but the sampler in Reason is really annoying. Cakewalk makes all the sample stuff so simple and I'm using about 90% samples 10% beats at the moment I think...

I might well spunk it off. It's only one bit and it's not vital...

Oh and copyright, schmopyright. This is for my own amusement not sale or anything.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:48:49   #4
protein
a dirty rotter.

You want to learn how to use the sampler in Reason. It's well worth it. Then you can cut up your beats in Recycle and use them in the DrRexs.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:52:14   #5
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

You can only use one sample per sampler?

Or have I totally missed something?

And what's Recycle?

I don't like Reason very much. It's really fussy, it's cool that the interface looks like real components but I don't know what the real components mean/do so none of it makes any sense. Cakewalk is a piece of cake.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:53:48   #6
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

I have a load of cool 808 samples (a bit cliched but they sound good) and a load of other drum samples and little vocal clips that I'd like to be able to make beats with in Reason but I don't really know where to start with that.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:20:41   #7
protein
a dirty rotter.

Yeah, you totally missed something. The sampler in Reason is exactly the same as a real sampler. You can have one sample per key if you like. Then you can have all your samples on one keyboard. If you have Reason 2.5 you can have one sample per key, control the frequency, resonance, panning, start time, finishing time, loop style and direction of each sample. It's a fucking amazing piece of kit and it's a virtual instrument in a virtual studio. Increadible.

Recycle allows you to take your beat samples and it slices them up. You can then put that sliced up sample into a Dr Rex and if you want to change the tempo of the song, the Dr Rex loop will change with it and stay in the same key. This is pretty much the meat and potatos of Reason. It's why I use it and why Liam from the Prodigy uses it. It means that you can put beats and samples together the way DJ Shadow does. So everything fits together and is in the same time/key etc.

It looks realistic because the instruments act in exactly the same way as the real thing. Imagine I gave you a load of samplers, drum machines, Recycle loop players, a massive mixer, a load of synths and effects units... You would have a whole world of possibilities because you now have an awesome studio. Reason is that studio.

Cakewalk is more like a fourtrack. You can put samples together but you have no control over them.

Have you read the online descriptions of the instruments on the Reason website? They are in plain English and let you know what you are dealing with. Well worth it.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:31:34   #8
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

How do you get the samples into the sampler? There's a little folder half way along the top of the sampler that allows you to import an audio file but I couldn't find any other controls and that only seems to let you import one and any other import replaced it.

Is Recycle part of Reason? I don't think I have that (or I don't knnow how to get into it) but it sounds useful.

Basically I'm sure Reason is all really good but I don't understand any of it so I am just using it to make loops and export them, and it's meeting my current needs.

I am basically working on my second ever song so I'm very much a beginner and don't really know anything and I'm not very patient.

Cakewalk's great for importing an audio file as a sample, quickly making it loopable and changing length, speed etc. and cutting bits out by sliding the boundaries of the wave file up and down. Can you do that stuff in Reason or would you use something else to chop up the sample first?
Old 10-06-2004, 11:33:45   #9
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Oh and I don't know what version of Reason I have... whichever one you gave me on that disk.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:42:46   #10
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Hmmm... looking at the documentation it still doesn't make a huge amount of sense. Basically I don't know enough to understand the documentation.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:20:12   #11
protein
a dirty rotter.

You can split the sampler into keyzones. Right click on the sampler and "add zone". Then you can toggle where the zone boundries are by using the picture of the keyboard.

Adding a sampler is just like adding a track on cakewalk. There's nothing wrong with having a hundred samplers in the rack. The rack is infinate. Your PC speed it the only limiting factor.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:21:14   #12
protein
a dirty rotter.

There's alot of right clicking in Reason. I have no idea how people can use it on a mac.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:24:48   #13
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

So you do have to have one sample per sampler?

I had a look at recycle on the propellerhead site it looks like it is the thing I'm missing that would let me do some useful stuff in Reason. I need to get hold of that.
Old 10-06-2004, 13:20:19   #14
Nills Lagerbaak
Role Model

On the sampler, there is a little LCD diagram of a keyboard. Above that is a long bar. Right click here and chose the "split keyboard" option, then define over which keys the split will occur (the bar will have split into two parts now, that you can move left and right). Now dewpending on which half of the bar you select, that little folder option will allow you to load a sample to apply to all keys within that bar range.
You can keep splitting the keyboard like this and loading in samples.

"I quite like the fairies." - Funko
Nills Lagerbaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 13:20:32   #15
Debaser
Badass Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by protein
There's alot of right clicking in Reason. I have no idea how people can use it on a mac.
I don't know how many times i've said this now, but YOU CAN RIGHT CLICK ON A MAC! Most Mac's come with a one button mouse, and upto OS9 only one button mouses (mice?) were supported (without additional software), but you could always do a control-click which is the same as a right click. These days, with OSX, I use a conventional 2 button mouse in the normal PC way. IT'S NO DIFFERENT!!! I even have a scrolley wheel thing.

*and breathe*
Debaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 13:33:25   #16
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Quote:
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
On the sampler, there is a little LCD diagram of a keyboard. Above that is a long bar. Right click here and chose the "split keyboard" option, then define over which keys the split will occur (the bar will have split into two parts now, that you can move left and right). Now dewpending on which half of the bar you select, that little folder option will allow you to load a sample to apply to all keys within that bar range.
You can keep splitting the keyboard like this and loading in samples.
ok cool...

How do you make stuff into Dr Rex beats? Do I just need Recycle or do I need anything else as well?
Old 10-06-2004, 13:39:29   #17
Nills Lagerbaak
Role Model

I think you jsut need Recycle. If you get hold of it, could I "borrow" it?

"I quite like the fairies." - Funko
Nills Lagerbaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 13:40:50   #18
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Sure. I'll have to try and "borrow" it myself first.
Old 10-06-2004, 15:03:36   #19
zmama
Counterglow CEO

Quote:
Originally posted by Debaser
I don't know how many times i've said this now, but YOU CAN RIGHT CLICK ON A MAC! Most Mac's come with a one button mouse, and upto OS9 only one button mouses (mice?) were supported (without additional software), but you could always do a control-click which is the same as a right click. These days, with OSX, I use a conventional 2 button mouse in the normal PC way. IT'S NO DIFFERENT!!! I even have a scrolley wheel thing.

*and breathe*
They still suck

The cats nestle close to their kittens now.
The lambs have laid down with the sheep.
You're cozy and warm in your bed, my dear
Please go the fuck to sleep.
zmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 15:06:17   #20
Debaser
Badass Monkey

GAHHHH!

*head explodes*
Old 10-06-2004, 15:14:26   #21
zmama
Counterglow CEO

Old 10-06-2004, 19:44:49   #22
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Ok this is what I've got so far.

http://www.loudmedicine.net/mp3/PollySheepEye.mp3

Not sure where to go with it next...
Old 11-06-2004, 09:27:33   #23
Debaser
Badass Monkey

*doesn't know what to say*
Old 11-06-2004, 09:42:04   #24
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

I probably shouldn't play this stuff to anyone. It's just me learning.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:24:56   #25
protein
a dirty rotter.

It's really, really funny - at first. Then when you've heard the samples for the fourth time it loses the funnyness. Keep the samples for a track but cut down on their use a little. I'd concentrate on getting some wicked music written first and then adding the samples.

Those Brass Eye samples are wicked though.

The music sounds a little like you got a guitar sample then a basic loop from reason and then played them after each other. If you could try and make the music a little more consistant somehow...hmm. Why not chuck the guitar sample in Reason and put some wicked drums over the top?

I'll have to lend you Reason 2.5. There is a much better synth with way cooler sounds (much more usable and less techno sounding) and a kind of amp simulator with nice compression which I put all my bass and drum sounds through to give it a more grungy edge.

I think you should take a little time to play with the knobs on the synth until you know what they do otherwise you won't be able to get any sounds that you hear in your head into the song.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:29:53   #26
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Yeah... it's basically me playing with samples so I can learn what stuff I can do with them rather than making a song at the moment. It sounded a lot better as a 1 min track.

I need to learn how to use Reason really. I don't know how to do it at all.

I think I need recycle to do anything useful with samples. I had a go at the reason sampler last night but couldn't figure it out at all. I think I understand the idea of what you and Nills were trying to tell me but it just doesn't make any sense when I'm actually trying to do it.

I did start getting to grips with the controls on the synth a bit though. I have a vague idea what about 1/3 of the knobs do now (the documentation says what they do but that doesn't help hear what that means).
Old 11-06-2004, 11:36:35   #27
zmama
Counterglow CEO

Just keep twiddling the knobs and you'll figure it out

Old 11-06-2004, 11:38:03   #28
protein
a dirty rotter.

Start with the frequency, envelope and amp sections first, then the rest will come later.
Old 11-06-2004, 18:37:14   #29
Immortal Wombat
carbon-based

Quote:
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Ok this is what I've got so far.

http://www.loudmedicine.net/mp3/PollySheepEye.mp3

Not sure where to go with it next...
I like that. It sounds like the Avalanches would if they suddenly went drum & bass.
Immortal Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote