Go Back   Counterglow Forums > Site Issues > Archive > CounterPoint Archive

Old 16-12-2003, 16:37:26   #201
Dyl Ulenspiegel
voorvechter van modernearchitectuur

For my next law book.
Old 16-12-2003, 16:41:25   #202
Venom
Look out behind you!

No, your next title for one of those should be "I know nothing about this subject."

Old 16-12-2003, 16:45:06   #203
King_Ghidra
pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Well, fuck you, KG.
I swear I'd drink you under the table and then stomp your fairy guts out if ever I had the chance to visit your miserable, rain soaked country.

You try to extend an olive branch and KG just wipes his ass with it. Way to go you video game ode writing twit.

hey if it makes you feel better, i really like burgers and stuff, i think us europeans really admire you yanks for bringing us your junk food
Old 16-12-2003, 16:48:49   #204
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Location: Drowning in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry
Quote:
Originally posted by Venom
Oh come on! You can't see that's a joke? Even after all that joking I did awhile ago about the word pakis (look I even avoided using that one in the original post)?
No-one ever said I wasn't an idiot.
Old 16-12-2003, 17:31:11   #205
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

Let's just have a big group hug and get on with the posts about absolutely nothing.
Old 16-12-2003, 17:53:43   #206
Venom
Look out behind you!

Quote:
Originally posted by Funkodrom
No-one ever said I wasn't an idiot.
I've said the opposite several thousand times. A day.

Old 16-12-2003, 17:58:09   #207
Lazarus and the Gimp
Howling at the moon

You cunts. I missed the fight.
Old 16-12-2003, 17:59:09   #208
Venom
Look out behind you!

I only got 1 post in. I missed an opportunity to curse at maroule even more.

Old 16-12-2003, 18:02:06   #209
Lazarus and the Gimp
Howling at the moon

There's no justice! Curse the gods who made this thread!
Old 16-12-2003, 18:09:58   #210
Venom
Look out behind you!

Just wait, darkstar will come back in late as hell tonight and drag everything back up.

Old 16-12-2003, 18:10:36   #211
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

You never get in on the fights anyways, Laz...we need to figure out what buttons you have to push...maybe if we said history was dumb and only nerds were interested in it...?
Old 16-12-2003, 18:21:02   #212
Debaser
Badass Monkey

Quote:
Just wait, darkstar will come back in late as hell tonight and drag everything back up.
Add him to your ignore list. The world will seem a much better place.
Old 16-12-2003, 18:24:00   #213
Venom
Look out behind you!

A briefer, easier to read place at least.

Old 16-12-2003, 18:26:48   #214
King_Ghidra@home

took the words right out of my mouth
Old 16-12-2003, 18:30:29   #215
Spartak
_

:haar harr harr:
Old 16-12-2003, 19:43:25   #216
RedFred
Living life .05 hours at a time

I played nine pin once. I think it was in Germany. But the alleys were made of this stupid nobby plastic so it was hard to get any accuracy.
Old 16-12-2003, 22:12:59   #217
Chris
really doesn't pay attention

The last time I bowled, I had a 220!

It's a shame people still keep bringing this stuff up, but like I said, it's pointless.

Roland hates the war, I think it's moral cowardess to oppose it, blah blah blah...what's the point?

Let it go.

And Maroule, stop bringing up FFZ, make an effort to get along, and it wasn't "bad taste," it was plain truth, France backed an evil bastard for money and fucked over the UN. You can believe it or not, but that's the fact, jack.
Old 16-12-2003, 22:56:21   #218
Angelhorns
Flying Nazi Hamster

you're all so gay

this is christmas

just fucking get on with each other or I'll knock your heads together

if a gun toting fascist like BGH and a bleeding heart liberal like myself can get on, you can all get on...

You should be thinking less about yourselves and more about the lonely, confused and poor at Christmas, like Uncle Saddam- all he's getting for Christmas this year is the stuffing...

*hic*

Last edited by Angelhorns; 16-12-2003 at 22:59:20.
Old 17-12-2003, 00:48:27   #219
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

Goddamit, I voted for Al fucking Gore!!!!!
Old 17-12-2003, 02:20:06   #220
Venom
Look out behind you!

That's not exactly a badge of honor.

Old 17-12-2003, 06:10:57   #221
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

Quote:
Originally posted by maroule
I have no problem with that, it's fair enough
I don't, however, feel responsible/should be blamed for his stupidity or power lust. If it was down to me, Chirac would be in jail.

In return, I expect to be able to say that the US are being run by a corrupt and inept administration.

Now, capturing Saddam is a very good thing, but it doesn't bring us one inch closer to the defeat of islam fascists, aka the real perpetrators of 9/11 (and there are good reasons to think the Iraq situation is a godsent to them)
Quick Comments:
As long as people bash on the Administration, then its all cool with me.

Capturing Saddam does do something... Saddam used to fund Islamic extremists groups. He was still funding local ones prior to his capture. That's one small improvement... less money, less material they can buy, less outside consultants they can hire, and less bribes they can pay. Its a small matter overall, but its still an improvement. Will be even better if we can trace down all that money that he pulled out before the fall of his Iraqi government.
Old 17-12-2003, 06:25:17   #222
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

AngelHorns...

You said: "BGH I think the fact you believe in the concept of women 'teasing' men says a lot about you, and I say that when you call one woman a tease you insult all women by making certain assumptions as previously detailed. I don't think you could have applied it to a more unlikely person either. Sure, I have a laugh about sex but if I have NEVER been a coy little girlie begging for male attention, or someone who tries to play men."

You are a tease. That's also a flirt. It's no big deal. Don't know who you are or how you are in real life, but you've done a whole lot of teasing/flirting here. That doesn't make BGH a sexist for saying that. Nor me.

Being a flirt is just one form of goofing off, of having fun. Men flirt. Women flirt.

You have flirted. You've played at times the role of a coy thing. You've also played the role of a human being minded toward finding some sexual release (ie, a horny person). Noticing that fact doesn't mean anything, other then some people actually read what you wrote. Now, they easily could have misinterpreted that... miscommunication is a common thing, especially on the net, you know?

Now, you are welcome to continue slagging BGH... but you are being awful defensive for how you occasionally post here.
Old 17-12-2003, 06:31:54   #223
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dyl Ulenspiegel
You know where you can shove that swastika.

Would it be ok to write "genocide" and " stolen land" over 99 % of the US map? Well it would, they haven't even come to terms with their history.
Well, Microsoft was removing theirs from all the non-Asian distributions.

Yes, yes it would. We stole this land fair and square from people without advanced arms who thought they were swindling the stupid people fresh off the boats, because NOONE could own land.

The side with the most guns always wins.
Old 17-12-2003, 06:42:35   #224
Sir Penguin
Wise sprite

Quote:
Wow, I'm impressed.

SP
And by opposing fuck them up?

-- Samuel L. Jackson as Hamlet
Old 17-12-2003, 06:43:24   #225
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

Quote:
Originally posted by maroule
thanks, you've just given me a licence to complain about daily abuses...

I won't take it though, it seems the level of racist FFZ-type french mokeyring has diminished of late, so I'll pass.

Venom, no I'm not certain of being right, but I have an opinion, and I don't see why I shouldn't express it.

My POV is that, irrespective of the legality/moral rightness of this war, it will further boost the terrorist cause by offering them a new political agenda, more recruits, an easy theater for an 'easy' war to hurt our common interests, etc. In other words it makes the war against islamists a lot harder, while other actions, less costly, would have been much more impactful.

History will tell; If we get quickly a stable and democratic Iraq, hurrah, I'll gladly eat my words with mint sauce.
Maroule, complain if you want. Ignore is here for a reason. Works well for squelching the noise.

I haven't noticed any serious French bashing. A few odd shots now and then, and outside of Venom, I thought they were mostly "pal slagging", but what do I know?

The other reason I'm responding though is... So, you advocate a course of fear? We cannot allow *fear* of terrorism being 'boosted' by an action to prevent us from taking that action, if 'we' truly think it is in our best interest (improves world stability in the long term, secures cheaper plastics, whatever). Now, I'm not advocating nuking Mecca or the Vatican, just saying that to avoid doing something because of the mights, you will be paralyzed into inaction. There is always a group of people that you will offend, and there is always the option there are some wacko radicals in that group that decide to go off for that.

And every terrorist in Iraq is one less somewhere else. It's always better to fight your wars on foreign shores.

And we are not at war with Islam. We are at war with extremists, radicals who are the Luddites of Islam.
Old 17-12-2003, 06:45:03   #226
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

SP, don't be. I hadn't posted for a few days, and there's a lot of stuff to comment on in here.
Old 17-12-2003, 06:51:37   #227
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dyl Ulenspiegel
In contrast to certain whiners, I can take what I dish out. I'm not complaining when people react to it. On the other side, I won't have my freedom of speech abridged because it throws some people into a hissy fit.
Noone should have their freedom of speech abridged here because saying something might piss off Darkstar or Venom or NYE or Roland or Maroule or Whoever.

And as long as I can recognize that you are doing your bashing on the Administration/Government/Political Entity of America, I usually have no complaints. Have fun. But when theres lots of comments and bashing that aren't so clear what is being bashed, then the Pro-Americans seem to fire back.

So all this came out of AngelHorns and BGH crossing of words? Seems like there's a lot of unresolved feelings still out there.
Old 17-12-2003, 06:56:49   #228
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
thanks, you've just given me a licence to complain about daily abuses...

I won't take it though, it seems the level of racist FFZ-type french mokeyring has diminished of late, so I'll pass.

Their poor taste gives you no license, so feel free not to use something that does not exist.
He doesn't need a license, does he? No one ever gave me, you, or Roland a license, but it doesn't stop us.

Humm, I take that back. We did get a license. It's Terms of Use when we signed up.

When someone isn't baiting Maroule, he doesn't complain. Just like when someone doesn't bait Venom or me or you or Roland, we don't complain. Well, ok, Roland and I don't need to be baited.
Old 17-12-2003, 07:14:25   #229
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

Quote:
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
i think europeans resent the willingness of the american govt to ride roughshod over int'l law more than they have any notion of some perceived resentment of the common europeans by the common american americans
So... you agree that all the problems are because America is the big man on campus (right now), and none of the Europeans are. So... it's because Europeans are jealous. And scared.

Then we agree.

International Law is merely whatever everyone has agreed to obey. Since all nations are their own sovereigns, noone has real authority over them... All they can do is say, if you want to play/trade/be in on the deal with us, you have to do X, Y, Z.

And of course, ALL countries break their deals (international law) whenever its convinent to them. Why? Because unlike you or I, there is no bigger authority to come down on them.

Every nation breaks International Law whenever it is more convenient for them then playing along. Currently, the United States of America breaks International Law more blatantly then many (but not ALL) nations because the USoA believes it can get away with it more. *Individuals* complaining about it won't ever effect it, unless you are a key voting demographic citizen in a swing state during election season.

But maybe I'm just too cynical?

As far as the scared... Since USoA just charges off doing whatever it sees in it's advantage, it makes us a wild horse in the corral of the world. Everyone with any sense would be at least "respectful" of such a beast, if not outright scared. One day, that beast might come charging at you... That's a very good reason to be mindful of what its doing, and complaining/praying/breathing hard at it trying to keep it from trying to run over you.

Last edited by Darkstar; 17-12-2003 at 07:23:06.
Old 17-12-2003, 07:26:07   #230
The Mad Monk
The REAL Nick Fury!

Quote:

I will crush you. With happy little apples.

I am a happy little sig. virus. Please put me in your happy little sig. so I can continue to happily replicate. A little.

Old 17-12-2003, 07:28:36   #231
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

Hey, I was wasting time this past few days playing games and sleeping, instead of posting here. Shame on me, I know.
Old 17-12-2003, 08:03:54   #232
King_Ghidra
pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkstar

And every terrorist in Iraq is one less somewhere else. It's always better to fight your wars on foreign shores.

the argument it is that by the US' (and it's fawning idiot friends) actions there will be more terrorists both in middle east countries and abroad

bush explicitly wanted a war on terror, so that means a war not a holiday jaunt to iraq to kill rag heads. The us is committed to the largest front line ever devised in war.
Old 17-12-2003, 08:09:50   #233
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

Well, it will take History to show us if that is true, KG... about there being more terrorists, total.

Eventually, all dissenters will get classified as terrorists, though.

As far as the biggest front... this is actually a natural progression of the "small, unconventenial conflicts" doctrine, I think. The very culmination of it. And the Civilized West has been engaged on that front long before 9/11. This is just the most openly publicized of it. Give the USoA another 6 to 8 years, and "we" will be out of it so seriously. I don't think our legislature will keep funding it, frankly. They are already "slimming" security's requested budget instead of just rubber stamping it...
Old 17-12-2003, 08:13:22   #234
Dyl Ulenspiegel
voorvechter van modernearchitectuur

Quote:
So... you agree that all the problems are because America is the big man on campus (right now), and none of the Europeans are. So... it's because Europeans are jealous. And scared.

I won't comment on some other crap, but I don't want you to believe that bullshit. Jealous of what, pray tell. And we are not scared of the US per se, but of the consequences the idiotic behaviour of your government will have on the islamic world.

"Everyone with any sense would be at least "respectful" of such a beast, if not outright scared."

There's nothing you can do to hurt us directly, so your fear theory is just fantasy.
Old 17-12-2003, 08:27:08   #235
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

Well, let's try it in a different analogy for you, Roland.

We all live in the same village on a small island. We've got one big, strong neighbor that tends to just as often go do whatever they want as living by the commune's rules. He occasionally just wanders into people's huts, taking what he wants, under various pretexts. The bastard is too big and strong for any three or four of us to just go beat some manners into. But he's occassaionally useful for various things on the island. So, everyone on the island is "respectful" to "fearful", depending on their persona.

It's the same deal, Roland.

Your country won't do squat about the USoA because it frankly cannot do more then whine. And Coalitions to "economically" teach the USoA tend to fracture pretty quick.

The USoA can directly hurt you. That's why European countries are so concerned about it. If we were East Timor, no EU member would give a squat about it.

Look at the "War on Terrorism" and the "Iraqi occupation". What's the concern? that the USA is just making more terrorists... blokes (and maybe gals) that won't go to Washington, DC and blow themselves up, but to Berlin, Paris, or London. Or just kidnap EU citizens who are nearby to them, and vacationing...

We can directly hurt you. That's what the complaints amount to. To think you are not affected by what the USoA does, is a complete disconnect from reality. The world is too inter-related these days.

One day, the USoA will just be another country, bitching about some super power doing what it wants, when it wants, unilaterally, and ignoring International Law. What goes around, comes around. Just a matter of time.
Old 17-12-2003, 09:19:30   #236
Angelhorns
Flying Nazi Hamster

darkstar you're absolutely right- you dont know me in real life.

No I am not a 'tease'. Teasing and flirting are not the same thing. No I havent been coy on here.

Again I repeat that when a man mentions sex everyone slaps him on the back, when a woman does it, suddenly she's a tease or a slut, or whatever other term you wish to apply.

Go read some Germaine Greer
Old 17-12-2003, 09:26:31   #237
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

What is the difference between teasing and flirting then? They are the same thing here. I don't associate anything bad or negative with someone teasing or flirting someone else. Is this a difference of regional usage of the words?

Now, if someone said you were a cock tease, that would be different. However, that still wouldn't have made BGH a sexist. One person called tease or flirt does not a sexist make.
Old 17-12-2003, 09:44:29   #238
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Flirting is basically a form of communication. Teasing suggests that the person doing the teasing is being manipulitive.
Old 17-12-2003, 09:45:57   #239
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

Ah. Thanks for the info.
Old 17-12-2003, 09:50:24   #240
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

If anyone would like to tell me how to spell that manipulate word then that'd be great.

The American Heritage entry on Dictionary.com seems to suggest it's the same there:

tease: To arouse hope, desire, or curiosity in without affording satisfaction.
flirt: To make playfully romantic or sexual overtures.

They seem quite different to me. *shrug*
Old 17-12-2003, 09:58:15   #241
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

We don't use the terms differently around here.

Your friends teased you over your flirting with Tizzy.
Tizzy teased you on your choice of wearing one green sock with one purple sock.
Devil'sH@lo teased AngelHorns about spending more time typing at him then talking to him.

Humm... I take that back. Tease doesn't generally have that "romantic" overtones or hints implied by flirt.

Tease is used extremely genericly in my RL region.

This convo has to be dead. We are debating on word's definittion versus common usage. That's like picking on grammar and spelling, isn't it? Next stop, comparisons of Hitler, and how he's a better entity then BGH? That's the typical thread death spiral elsewhere, isn't it?
Old 17-12-2003, 10:02:02   #242
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

I dunno I think this is acutally more useful in a way, that thing about 2 nations seperated by a common language is very true. I've had some very strange arguments with people from the US that have come down to different useage of the same word.

eg. Clever. Apparently in at least some parts of the US clever means sneaky or tricky wheras here it just means intelligent. Similar enough that it can cause problems without anyone realising why. I could call someone clever meaning it as a compliment and they could take it as an insult. Which is what happened.
Old 17-12-2003, 10:07:46   #243
Drekkus
The Happy Little Pee Guy

Location: They think I'm crazy. They don't know that I like it here, it's nice in here. Reputation: -984653893929276
Summary from page 2 to end, please.

Spoon, it's not a swear word.

1st CG Hardcore Belt Royal Rumble Winner
Old 17-12-2003, 10:15:38   #244
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

It's all crap, wouldn't worry about it.
Old 17-12-2003, 10:25:51   #245
Drekkus
The Happy Little Pee Guy

Location: They think I'm crazy. They don't know that I like it here, it's nice in here. Reputation: -984653893929276
good, I won't bother then.

Spoon, it's not a swear word.

1st CG Hardcore Belt Royal Rumble Winner
Old 17-12-2003, 11:41:22   #246
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Quote:
Originally posted by Funkodrom
I dunno I think this is acutally more useful in a way, that thing about 2 nations seperated by a common language is very true. I've had some very strange arguments with people from the US that have come down to different useage of the same word.

eg. Clever. Apparently in at least some parts of the US clever means sneaky or tricky wheras here it just means intelligent. Similar enough that it can cause problems without anyone realising why. I could call someone clever meaning it as a compliment and they could take it as an insult. Which is what happened.
Yeah! It's our language, so any disputes over the English language we Brits are always right. M'kay...
Old 17-12-2003, 11:48:48   #247
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Yeah, totally dude.
Old 17-12-2003, 12:12:23   #248
Sir Penguin
Wise sprite

Manipulative.

SP
And by opposing fuck them up?

-- Samuel L. Jackson as Hamlet
Old 17-12-2003, 13:01:08   #249
Noisy
Post Quality Analyst

Quote:
<snip>

We are debating on word's definittion versus common usage. That's like picking on grammar and spelling, isn't it?

<snip>
Woohoo! The thread's getting interesting at last!
Currently reading: 'Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid' by Douglas R. Hofstadter.
Synopsis: Towards a definition of consciousness from mathematics and logic.
Old 17-12-2003, 13:09:23   #250
Rodgers
Branch manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Drekkus
good, I won't bother then.
I just read it all the way through - waste of fucking time

Learn how to use this new forum joke here