Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Music

Old 01-08-2003, 11:52:09   #1
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Location: Drowning in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry
All American Noise Reviews!

Violent Femmes - American Music

A very fun catchy track. I really like the little touches like the bum-bum drum and the keyboard oh, and the claps. It's like a slightly alternative version of a Greece track. Nice choice for the first song. I can't work out if it's meant to be ironic or not but it works either way.

Polara - Allay

Whoa... it's Jimmy Eat World... Well it isn't but it's very similar to one of the tracks on Bleed American. That's a great album and I really like this.

Pure - Pure

Starts off weird then it's the American Stone Roses! Then they go a bit Happy Mondays and EMF. I find it much an interesting listen to hear the Madchester echos rather than really liking it but it's not bad.

Tripping Daisy - Lost and Found

This is the first one so far that doesn't really do anything for me. See a lot of bands like this in our local scene, nothing really wrong with them but they just don't have that spark that gets me going.

The Veldt - It's Over

If Pure are the American Stone Roses then I guess these are the American Smiths. I'm not really a big fan of The Smiths because Morissey's singing really annoys me and this guy annoys me a bit too. Good musically though.

Tanya Donnely - Pretty Deep

Glad you said in your liner notes that she did the theme for Dawson's Crack. It would have annoyed me otherwise. Hard to get over that association of her voice and the thought "Go out, get drunk and have a laugh, stop overanalysing everything you disproportionately large headed freak! AND if you get the opportunity to shag Joey take it you moron!". So, not sure I can really judge it fairly. Not a huge fan though.

Steve Taylor - Guilt by association

This is great, got a really nice groove to it. I bet they are one of those bands who always get girls dragging their boyfriends to dance and everyone has a great time even though the boyfriends try and pretend they don't really like it 'cause it's not very macho.

Paula Cole - Bethlehem

Urgh! Alanis intro alert! This is presumably the track that Scabby was like Tracy Chapman, which it is. I really like Tracy Chapman's first album though. That's not very rock is it, nevermind. I don't think this is as good as TC but still a really nice song.

Tommy Keene - Places That Are Gone

This is a bit sweet for me. I really want something with a bit of a darker edge to it. What are those samples?

Soul Asylum - Cartoon

This is OK, quite fun and upbeat, nothing I feel I haven't heard a lot of times before though.

Ditch Witch - Fake a Smile.

The Soul Asylum bonus track is one that they play at the After Dark almost every week which means I've heard it loads of times and never known what it was. This doesn't sound like the singer so I assume that this is actually Ditch Witch - Fake a Smile.

Pure - Tall Grass

Oh yeah, this is a lot of fun. Reminds me of Rocket From the Crypt, it's another very danceable band and one that manages to have a brass section without automatically being shit. I much prefer it to the previous Pure track.

Social Distortion - When She Begins

This reminds me of NOFX's punk cover of Vincent by Don McLean (Starry starry night...) Which is a strange thing to be reminded of. I like it though, I think.

Tripping Daisy - One Through Four

Much better than the previous Tripping Daisy song! Still not really my cup of tea but it's a lot more interesting.

Belly - Black Dress

I didn't think I'd be mentioning Greece twice in this review but the intro is "Beauty School Dropout" isn't it? Er... anyway. The verse of this wouldn't surprise me if it came up on one of Laz's collections, dark moody song sung by a girl with a nice and individual voice. (that's a good thing) I think it loses it's way slightly with the Beatlesesque chorus but there we go.

Collective Soul - Run

I've got a Collective Soul album on LadyRachel's recommendation. It's the only band featured that I actually own anything by. Anyway the album I have is Dosage, which this is from, and also Heavy from the bonus tracks. I really like them both.

Might do the bonus tracks later.

Last edited by Funkodrom; 01-08-2003 at 13:34:20.
Funkodrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 12:36:07   #2
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Oh and Lifeboat by Steve Taylor is spectacular.
Old 01-08-2003, 13:26:21   #3
Guy
Orbiting planet Work

Glad there was some stuff on there that you enjoyed!

I am confused, though. Either I really fucked up the disks or you're on drugs. I didn't actually put Everclear on the compilation, I dropped them to be able to feature Steve Taylor. At least I thought I did, the copy I kept for myself doesn't have them on and they're not in the listing posted into my CD burning software. Anything's possible, though.

Also, Paula Cole's the one that sang Dawson's Creek, not Tanya Donelly.

If you like the Steve Taylor tracks here, you'll like pretty much everything he's ever done. He's one I never really get tired of, though I need to be in a certain mood for it.

Anyway, like I said, glad you found stuff to enjoy on it, thanks for the review, and sorry if I screwed up your disk.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 13:33:25   #4
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

I was really, really confused by the track listing because I started from that list you posted here. All the tracks probably need shifting up a place then... I'll edit.
Old 01-08-2003, 13:34:31   #5
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Make more sense?
Old 01-08-2003, 14:18:38   #6
Guy
Orbiting planet Work

Much.
Old 01-08-2003, 14:19:32   #7
Guy
Orbiting planet Work

And, yeah, I changed my mind about a hundred times on this. Sorry for the misdirection in the other thread.
Old 01-08-2003, 15:19:55   #8
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

I'm so lazy I just copied and pasted instead of going through the notes, plus it's a bit dodgy going through the notes at work.
Old 01-08-2003, 16:07:10   #9
Lazarus and the Gimp
Howling at the moon

Possibly the reason you linked the Belly track to me is because Tanya Donnelly featured on one of my LWP4 tracks- it was from her Throwing Muses days.
Lazarus and the Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 16:11:11   #10
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Aha!!!