Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Games

Old 14-11-2011, 20:12:37   #51
zmama
Counterglow CEO

yes is awful

The cats nestle close to their kittens now.
The lambs have laid down with the sheep.
You're cozy and warm in your bed, my dear
Please go the fuck to sleep.
zmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 20:43:54   #52
Fistandantilus

I went with my heart and my heart was don't go with the soldiers whos gonna cut my head off
Fistandantilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 16:42:44   #53
MDA

Location: updated his email address and can look but not post
Edit: I didn't run into anybody!

Last edited by MDA; 15-11-2011 at 18:19:55.
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 17:03:59   #54
Fistandantilus

Stop spoilering
Old 17-11-2011, 11:57:44   #55
MDA

CTDs have been much, much worse the last two nights. It's common when I fast travel to Whiterun to sell/stash stuff. No error message or anything, it just drops to desktop like I was never playing at all. I can travel to a farm just outside the city, and run in the gates and don't have a problem. Once an afternoon or evening wasn't an issue for me, but now I'm irritated.
Old 17-11-2011, 12:18:21   #56
Greg W
This title intentionally left blank

Haven't had a single CTD yet, thank god. Also haven't played it in the last 3 nights...
Old 17-11-2011, 17:30:49   #57
Fistandantilus

I haven't had a ctd either, and i'm just over the 33hrs played mark which seems too much
Old 17-11-2011, 19:31:27   #58
MDA

Well then, I'm going to go ahead and blame Vista and myself. I built a Son of Darkstar machine.

Had a side quest I picked up while simply exploring... where I found a note someone had left, that got me wondering "What if I go *here* and do *this*?" and sure enough, there was a small hidden reward and a small but permanent buff associated with it. The side quest was already complete and off the list by that time, it was a separate thing, essentially for paying attention and thinking.

I also got caught in a great outdoor ambush and killed, but I won't tell that story so you can enjoy getting pasted too. There was confusion, misdirection, and then the other shoe dropped, right on my face. It won't work twice, but it was awesome.

Lots of little moments like that that keep me going.

Last edited by MDA; 17-11-2011 at 19:36:50.
Old 17-11-2011, 20:43:33   #59
paiktis

My PC doenst handle it too well
It's getting old

But it is a great game, although destruction school seems to be screwed. Damage doesnt get scaled to your level.
This is a kind of a game that you would buy the latest tech, very big monitor and surround sound and turn resolution to the max (and social life to non existant - I'll stick to medium specs)
btw not a single crash but lots of stopping and loading (probably because of the 2 gigabytes of memory?)
dragon battles are great, it's like a sport, hunting or something. Very well choreographed.
oh and a funny thing (except being hurled to stratosphere by club yielding giants) was that i missed some money to get the house?

so i get outside to the city (forget the name) and a soldier drops down from the sky! i loot him, sell the items and was closer to buying the house.
probably a dragon was flying high above and he threw him on the city. the only downside is that there's now this naked soldier with his underwear inside a fountain in the middle of the city, i hope not permanently, although it's still funny

Last edited by paiktis; 17-11-2011 at 22:01:33.
paiktis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 23:52:34   #60
Fistandantilus

Yeah there are a lot of little things to discover. I'm playing it with no fast travel and I'm enjoying the exploration parts a lot.

Destruction is a bit of let down I agree I'm playing mage/rogue and the other magic schools are much better imo. Btw, it's just me or alchemy may not be as broken as in Morrowind but it's insanely powerful nevertheless?

P.S.
My dunmer found a lil girl who wanted to play hide and seek in Whiterun and I said why not? But then I was in hunter-seeker mode and when I found her sneaked to her back and I had to fight really hard with myself not to backstab the lil innocent kid into oblivion. I feel I'm getting too evil
Old 18-11-2011, 01:48:30   #61
paiktis

i once murdered a chicken and had the whole village trying to kill me, so i can imagine what would happen if you succumbed to the dark side !

speaking of glitches btw lydia, for some reason, was following me lying on her back with her legs open. like she was down on the floor but was going after me like being tied to an invisible rope.

that was darn funny and it sorted itself out after i entered a new location and the game went to loading screen.
i think that glitch happened 'cause i was running through a village of giants and then jumped a hill to escape them and lydia stayed back.
paiktis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 10:48:59   #62
maroule
Intermittent du spectacle

I had one CTD in about 40 hours (but on xbox, so crash to nowhere, really)

destruction is still pretty good at least at level 12, where I am; do dual casting of the adept spells (fire is my favorite, electricty against mages cause it depletes magicka), with the right perk you knock most of the opponents off... only problem is that you have to aim well (opponents move!) and your companions sometimes gets in the way and takes it in the back... I had a visceral pleasure in blowing a fire ball (fire lance?) in a bandit face and seeing him fly in the air (we were fighting on a narrow bridge, high up)
maroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 13:06:00   #63
Venom
Look out behind you!

You always get pleasure blowing guys.

Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 13:11:36   #64
MDA

The problem people are having is that destruction will do the same damage at level 40 as it does at 12, damage for a spell is static and won't increase with increasing skill. You can buy master level spells, but the damage doesn't compare to a similarly skilled swordsman.

Simplest solution is to use the difficulty slider if things get too tough and you want to continue with a destruction focused character. The alternative is to complain incessantly on the company forums about the game being unfair and unbalanced.

Four straight CTDs last night after loading a game and entering any new area. Got mad and quit, will have to see about using an earlier save next time.
Old 18-11-2011, 13:33:58   #65
maroule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
You always get pleasure blowing guys.
if you says so... who am I to argue with the matter expert...

on destruction, then yes I see the problem, and it would be disapointing. I'm surprised though; with perks (augmented flames; +50%) a firestorm makes 225 damages (at least it should, otherwise just 150, which is not shabby), and wall of flame 75 dmg per second (or 50, again, if augmented flames does not apply, which I don't know). And that's just for the initial attack, to soften up the target... after that, you can chain the incinerates, at 90 dmg a stroke, it looks solid too... it's not surprising that the initial spells don't level up, otherwise you'd only need the initial flames all along (pretty boring after 50 levels I suspect)

so it's not insignificant, at least seen from the lowly level I'm inhabiting... whats your point of comparison? how much damage does a high skilled swordsman does?
Old 18-11-2011, 14:38:36   #66
Fistandantilus

I have no hard numbers atm but my pg has spent the same number of perks in destruction and 1hd weapons and is about the same level in both (i'm 30ish level).

Problem is when I encounter a tough opponent I find it way easier to hack n slash him to death with a sword rather than use destruction magic.

Impact is a hell of a perk and stupidly powerful but there is not much in the destruction tree that helps against bosses and high level foes.

Weapons can be improved with smithing, enchanting and alchemy, spells fall short. That said destruction is still fun and I love it so I'm not complaining much
Old 18-11-2011, 14:50:11   #67
MDA

I've read a skilled melee fighter with a good weapon and enchants does about 400 per swing at high levels. The thing people often don't consider is that it's against one opponent, and you have to get close to hit them. Destruction lets you rain down pain from a distance and hit multiple targets.
Old 18-11-2011, 16:17:28   #68
maroule

400!? that's insane
my sword does 12 dmg per swing
Old 18-11-2011, 18:56:54   #69
MDA

I think that included weapon skill, enchanting, and smithing bonuses, but yeah, pretty strong stuff.
Old 19-11-2011, 08:35:52   #70
Fistandantilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA View Post
I've read a skilled melee fighter with a good weapon and enchants does about 400 per swing at high levels. The thing people often don't consider is that it's against one opponent, and you have to get close to hit them. Destruction lets you rain down pain from a distance and hit multiple targets.
For crowd control you just need Illusion or Conjuration. Try it
Old 20-11-2011, 21:55:24   #71
Greg W

Well, finally getting those CTDs and quite a few of them. Still finding Ice Trolls tough, even at lvl 14, playing basically as a straight out Warrior. Throw in a couple of firebolts to soften him up and then rely on a few good power blows.

The one thing that seems missing to me is the lack of romance in the game. I kinda expecting it I think after recent games. I did read the Wiki and there is something available, but after a quick read it sounds rather bland to me.

Managed to enchant a sword with Soul Steal, which is great. Though I must remember to grab a second non sol stealing sword so I can pick and choose when to steal one ant not. It is a great way to fill all those Petty Soul gems you find though.
Old 21-11-2011, 10:25:59   #72
maroule

yeah, love that too
I enchanted a dweemer sword with sould trap, and renamed it "Stormbringer"...

I could spend most of my playing time forging and enchanting stuff... the questing is really only there to get the ingredients... I'm going to end up as level 70 shopkeeper...
Old 21-11-2011, 12:15:09   #73
MDA

I can work ebony now! My axe can split other axes.

People complain about the game being too easy if you craft and enchant your stuff, and I couldn't care less. Too much fun.

Mitigated most of my CTDs by never, ever fast traveling to or from a busy area (like Whiterun). I can walk out the gate and travel fine most of the time, and there's been no issue with traveling to Whiterun stable and walking in through the city gate. Very strange.

Haven't done anything with the main quest past climbing the mountain stairs to learn shouts from the old fellas up there.
Old 21-11-2011, 13:19:48   #74
Fistandantilus

Oh, so maybe I'm not getting CTDs cause I don't fast travel except for carriages?
Old 21-11-2011, 13:42:26   #75
maroule

"People complain about the game being too easy if you craft and enchant your stuff, and I couldn't care less. Too much fun."

my feelings exactly
if they want hard, they can play dark souls

that said, I do find dragons (up to now) a bit easy. I killed 4 without too much trouble. However, some undead dude in the crimson (or red) sword quest kicked my butt 5 times in a row, and I only managed to beat him in the end because I runned around the room screaming like a little girl, and gulping 59 potions
Old 21-11-2011, 14:48:22   #76
MDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistandantilus View Post
Oh, so maybe I'm not getting CTDs cause I don't fast travel except for carriages?
I think there's something system specific involved as well, I still got dumped out a few times over the weekend.

Last edited by MDA; 21-11-2011 at 16:56:56.
Old 21-11-2011, 15:08:12   #77
Funko
Pubs Minister

IF you hadn't played Elder Scrolls I-IV would this still make sense?
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 16:20:00   #78
Fistandantilus

There are literally hundreds of books in game you can read to pick up with the lore thing. Just find a library and start reading
Old 21-11-2011, 16:59:22   #79
MDA

I still get sidetracked reading books.
Old 21-11-2011, 17:04:25   #80
Funko
Pubs Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistandantilus View Post
There are literally hundreds of books in game you can read to pick up with the lore thing. Just find a library and start reading
God, that sounds like hard work.
Old 21-11-2011, 17:07:46   #81
MDA

not with attractive titles like "The Lusty Argonian Maid"
Old 21-11-2011, 17:14:30   #82
Funko
Pubs Minister

I change the question. If you hadn't played Elder Scrolls I-IV and thing reading the books is too much effort would this still make sense?

I think I probably just don't have enough time to invest in this game to make it worthwhile.
Old 21-11-2011, 17:52:12   #83
MDA

There are also a lot of voice acted conversations, you might get as much story as you need from those. They did jump forward a couple of hundred years, so now they're somewhat removed from the previous games. That might make things easier.

Then again, I've done so little of the main storyline I'm not sure I'm in a position to judge how well it stands on its own.

Post Oblivion, extra short summary:

In that couple of hundred years time, most of the imperial provinces had revolts or revolution, most importantly the high elves, which trounced the imperials and pretty much have them Vichy-fied. They're control freaks with delusions (maybe delusions) of godhood. Dragons returned to Skyrim (home province of the Nords, and some displaced and disgruntled aboriginal people). Dragons are bad, mysterious, and haven't been seen in forever (except the single one at the end of Oblivion). The main story seems to involve you and the wicked bad evil dragons, but there is also a loyalist v. separatist rebellion ongoing in Skyrim.
Old 21-11-2011, 21:52:38   #84
Greg W

Other than background fluff, I don't think it'd make a heck of a lot of difference whether you'd played the previous games. I only really find them linked in the vaguest kinda way as they're all set in different provinces of the Empire and there doesn't seem to be one massive on-going storyline that I have seen. And they're all made as games where you only have to follow the main storyline as much as you want. You're free to ignore it as much as you wish and just head off and kick butt, or become a crafter, or just do all the little side quests in towns along the way, or whatever. It's a very sandboxy type of game.

The funny thing is that I didn't even pick up most of the stuff that MDA mentioned about the rest of the provinces revolting.

I do find healing potions a bit unbalancing (on the PC at least) as you can just pause the game mid sword swing, quaff as many healing potions as you want, then go back to the game at full health.
Old 22-11-2011, 08:35:49   #85
Funko
Pubs Minister

More fun than dying all the time!
Old 22-11-2011, 13:20:42   #86
maroule

about dying, yesterday I had to fight a giant....

with one single swing of his club, he sent me flying about 50 meters in the air. Litteraly 50 meters, I could see the whole countryside before the screen faded to black. I tried 4 times to take him down, and flew 4 times. Curiously, I flew directly upwards, shooting up like a rocket. I think I should have flown more like a golf ball, with a 1 wood on a par 5.
Old 22-11-2011, 13:49:46   #87
Funko
Pubs Minister

Old 22-11-2011, 14:07:38   #88
MDA

See, how is that not fun?

I've been giving them a wide berth.

found a dead mudcrab yesterday, or a perfect sculpture of one, it was bigger than a cave bear in a tiny pond alongside the road and I couldn't loot it or interact in any way
Old 23-11-2011, 01:13:05   #89
Greg W

I have also been giving them a very wide Berth. I think the only way I could see to defeat them (as a warrior with very little magic) would be to kill them from a distance or use shouts/power attacks to stop them clubbing you like that. Or see if you could time your attacks between theirs. Mind you, Ice Trolls still give me problems, so maybe I should just stick clear of Giants.

That does sound fun though.
Old 23-11-2011, 09:11:24   #90
Fistandantilus

The good thing about giants is they are so big you don't find them in dungeons where you do not have space to run away
Old 28-11-2011, 09:10:38   #91
maroule

95 forge... I'm close to the dragon aromrs... youhou!
now have to boost my enchantment skills... I buy all the "insignificant" gem stones I can find, and enchant iron daggers...

I'm going to be the weakest adventurer with the best kit ever
Old 28-11-2011, 12:31:05   #92
Greg W

Yeah, but you'll be a decent level and so all the monsters will scale to that level, but your fighting skills will be crap, so you'll get your butt kicked.
Old 28-11-2011, 12:36:51   #93
Greg W

Oh and I'm lvl 20. My smithing is about mid 50s, enchanting is nowhere near good enough. One Handed is about 60, Heavy about high 40s from memory, block is 30 odd.

Tried fighting a giant the other day. Was actually doing really well, had the giant down to about 20%. But the Mammoths were a pita. Ended up the Giant caught me with one swing when I zigged when I should have zagged. Unfortunately didn't get thrown into the air, just crushed. That was the best result I got, the other three times I just got crushed with one hit seemingly, but never thrown in the air.

I think I need to get my conjuration/illusion up to summon something to take the mammoths out of the fight while I keel the Giant.
Old 28-11-2011, 15:50:41   #94
maroule

the throwing up in the air might have been linked to the special quest... the one where you try to steal a goat out of one solitary giant... (one bit of the greatest quest so far, starts in Markash, no more spoilers)
Old 28-11-2011, 22:50:06   #95
Fistandantilus

I read it referred to as the "one-shot giant punt into outer space" on Beth's forum
Old 29-11-2011, 09:55:54   #96
maroule

rhaa, reached level 100 in forge yesterday night, draconic armors, here I come...
Old 29-11-2011, 12:14:00   #97
MDA

I got kind of attached to the deep red glow of the daedric, but the heavy dragonbone is growing on me.

That unofficial 4GB launcher thing solved so many problems. No crashes to desktop since!
Old 29-11-2011, 12:42:35   #98
maroule

i have a dadric mace that glows green.... it has a demonic face carved inside it, looking at me all the time and giving me the creeps... but it's the best godamm weapon, and I had to kill an innocent man to get it so for fuck's sake I tainted my sould for a reason and will keep using it!
Old 29-11-2011, 13:10:34   #99
Fistandantilus

You all heavy armor guys have no fashion sense

And yay for no more ctds, MDA!
Old 29-11-2011, 15:31:16   #100
MDA

Someone described dragons as "cliffracers 2.0" on the official forum.

For me, they're tough until I find an open area where they can be tempted to land. Then they die nicely.