Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Music

Old 09-04-2003, 12:32:53   #1
*End Is Forever*

Post Shock, Horror, CD Sales Slump

Global music sales are down a 7% over the past year, prompting the industry big guns to blame internet piracy for their misfortune. Well, it could be that, or it could be the bland, derivative, over-hyped, uninspired crap that constitutes the majority of major label output these days. Take your pick.
*End Is Forever* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 12:34:58   #2
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Location: Drowning in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry
And the slowdown in the US economy generally which accounts for most world music sales.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:36:31   #3
*End Is Forever*

Yes, that too.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:40:41   #4
PosterBoy
Big Sissy

I don't think artists comdemning fans does them much good. A very independent artist who I am a big fan of had to set aup his own record company to put out his last album. In his mailing list email to his fans he let them know that he financed the recording and everything else to do with the album on his credit card and so he would appreciate it if the burning could be kept to a minimum.

Such messages as this obvioulsy aren't applicable to major artists but it did make me buy a copy for a friend rather than burn one.

Jay: If you know so much, tell me something about myself.
Rufus: You masturbate more than anyone else on the planet.
Jay: Shit, everyone knows that. Tell me something else.
Rufus: When you do it, you're thinking about guys.
[Silent Bob starts to look freaked out.]
Jay: [to Bob] Dude, not ALL the time!
PosterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 12:52:59   #5
Scabrous Birdseed
for your usergroup and post count

Actually, I'm not sure if it's like this everywhere, but in Sweden certainly the impetus seems to be back with the indies again. Not sure why.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:57:17   #6
Sean
Rhubarb

I first heard a track by all of my LWP 4 artists thanks to file sharing, then I bought the albums.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 12:59:21   #7
*End Is Forever*

I don't think that the "online revolution" means people are buying less albums, but I think it certainly means people are buying different albums, and that certainly helps the indie labels. I mean, without Napster and it's successors, would the punk scene be doing so well, for example?

Filesharing has certainly meant I've spent a lot more on music than I ever did before... but a good chunk of that has been buying independent label music, and even more stuff that's only on a major because of people buying independent label music (ie, Finch, Something Corporate, Jimmy Eat World, Less Than Jake).
Old 09-04-2003, 13:00:17   #8
*End Is Forever*

I must say the interest generating by my news items is encouraging...
Old 09-04-2003, 13:04:33   #9
Scabrous Birdseed
for your usergroup and post count

Where d'you get them from? It'd be healthy to have more than one news updater...
Old 09-04-2003, 17:09:37   #10
Provost Harrison
Registered (alcohol ab)User

Well the thing is, competition does not exist per se in the music industry because most bands don't compete as such...and there is a cartel in the industry. Perhaps they should consider, like, dropping the price of CDs? Some of them are just so overpriced...
Provost Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 18:31:33   #11
Debaser
Badass Monkey

Competition exists massively within the music industry. Maybe the actual band members don't compete, but have you seen how out of control marketing campaigns are getting these days? Competition is fiercer than ever before.

Dropping prices would be good though, look how well that Ravonettes mini-album did with a 6.99 price tag.
Debaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 20:34:41   #12
Provost Harrison

I wouldn't have thought that competition would have really applied as each band stands on it's own merits and music buyers select on those...it is a tricky one I suppose...I thought there may be competition for signing particularly prominent artists but that wouldn't apply to the price of a CD so much.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:11:25   #13
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

There's competition for the advertising and distribution and shelf space, isn't there?

RIAA and others may be right about how Net piracy is cutting into their profits though. A recent study of 100,000 Net users showed that over 55% had within the last 30 days had 'pirated' albums from file sharing networks and burnt/copied them. Only 25% of those were even *considering* spending any money in the future on those artist. The study had showed that 85% of those users had pirated music, movies, applications and/or games within the last year, and only 5% of those had ever decided to go waste their time and money on buying anything 'officially'.

The average age of the study? 35 year old married men and women, with jobs paying well above average. Why pirate? It was less trouble then going to the store (online or brick), and they were not going to waste their money on buying any of it, when they could get it for free.
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 07:57:15   #14
*End Is Forever*

Quote:
RIAA and others may be right about how Net piracy is cutting into their profits though. A recent study of 100,000 Net users showed that over 55% had within the last 30 days had 'pirated' albums from file sharing networks and burnt/copied them. Only 25% of those were even *considering* spending any money in the future on those artist. The study had showed that 85% of those users had pirated music, movies, applications and/or games within the last year, and only 5% of those had ever decided to go waste their time and money on buying anything 'officially'.
A more pertinent question would be "what percentage of those people would have gone to the store to buy all the music they downloaded had they not been able to get it online?". I imagine the answer would be rather small.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:18:05   #15
Sean
Rhubarb

Liked the percentage of people would have bought a book new had they not been able to get it used!
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 09:38:27   #16
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

EIF, that is a sticky point. However, since those people admit to buying less from the shops because if they can find it for free, that's good enough... and most of those people in the study answered that they look for things online first, out of convinence and price (free).

Of course, if you really love something, you might go out and buy it just to show your support, and encourage the creators/authors to do more, which goes back to the... if it wasn't all crap, people would be spending more money issue...
Old 10-04-2003, 16:28:43   #17
Provost Harrison

Well they should become more competitive...CDs are overpriced and no matter how much litigation the music industry tries, it needs to adapt.
Old 11-04-2003, 17:24:21   #18
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

I finally came across the article. Seems they are blaming the *rise* of DVD and Console-Game sales on the fact that people have more money in their pocket because they are stealing their music. Humm... I like how they dismiss the counterpoint that people are prefering to spend their money on DVDs and Console-Games, and just steal their music, because there isn't enough decent music to spend their money on.