Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Film, Fiction and Writing

Old 24-07-2004, 01:29:27   #101
Help TCO

Have you read Shadowlands? Have you read his biography?
Help TCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2004, 08:44:17   #102
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

Quote:
Bullshit. The order as far as the kids (who are the protagonists) goes in the order written.
My dear sir, if I am interpreting your rather inebriated and somewhat fragmented statement correctly, I have to beg to differ. There is some evidence indicating that Mr. Lewis did not know that the series would continue beyond the first book, or the second, etc., and that subsequent books in the body of work were undertaken to edify what was becoming a popular collection. This in no way verifies that the written order was the ultimately intended one, in fact, in a letter to a young American fan, Lewis seems to show a slight inclination toward the chronological. To wit:
Quote:
'I think I agree with your order {i.e. chronological} for reading the books more than with your mother's. The series was not planned beforehand as she thinks. When I wrote The Lion I did not know I was going to write any more. Then I wrote P. Caspian as a sequel and still didn't think there would be any more, and when I had done The Voyage I felt quite sure it would be the last. But I found as I was wrong. So perhaps it does not matter very much in which order anyone read them. I'm not even sure that all the others were written in the same order in which they were published.

Quoted in "Letters to Children"
Your statement that "Bullshit. The order as far as the kids (who are the protagonists)--gee, thanks for pointing that out...almost had to break out my MLA handbook to verify that one! goes in (sic, or, in your case "hic!") the order written" is so eloquently worded, so strongly (albeit somewhat profanely) persuaded, that I fear I have caused some additionally deep and grave emotional damage to your already schizoid personality. Perhaps this series was a cherished escape from a troubled and isolated childhood, spent primarily huddled under bedcovers whilst Mum and Dad argued over the last remaining drops of Chivas in the kitchen?
But I digress...

Quote:
Have you even read these, shitforbrains? Talking out of your ass again?
Yes, I have read this series several times, in the original order. I am now reading it in the chronological order to see if a different interpretation might be gained. Perhaps you and I can meet here once more on the hallowed battlefields of intellect once I've read it in this order? If my (as you so poetically put it) "shitforbrains" are up to the Herculean task, I might even endeavor to attempt something so audacious, so ill advised (in light of your obviously superior grasp of language, writing, literature and simple research) as to discuss this work in depth. Would you, could you, please favor me with perhaps your Marxist criticism of this work? Or could you grace me with your Feminist critique? Is the White Witch representative of Lewis' male Christian patriarchal attitude toward woman in general? Maybe I'm off the mark--your laserlike insights and contributions to other discussions on this forum might lend themselves more to a Deconstructionalist approach?

In any case, I eagerly await the opportunity to sit at the knee of the master, gathering equally to my heaving breast your gems of wisdom, complicated gibes and thought provoking challenges!

Asshole.
Old 24-07-2004, 09:57:16   #103
Vincent
Unchained

Ah, fuck, I mean: It's just a book, yer know!
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2004, 10:48:03   #104
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

Yeah...well...he was irritating and I was bored.

Last edited by BigGameHunter; 24-07-2004 at 11:05:46.
BigGameHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2004, 12:36:46   #105
Help TCO

Damnit. Wasn't expecting that response. I thought you were going to give me a beatdown. I'm in Richmond now, not Atlanta. Guess you came over and I wasn't there. Sorry about that, slugger.

Still, what do you think of the point that the "normal order" is the order in which the protagonists age? The order in which different children are brought into the series (with overlap)?

And if you're so smart, why haven't you read Harry pothead? You can get them at the 'brary.
Old 24-07-2004, 12:37:08   #106
Help TCO

And how can you tell when I'm drinking?
Old 24-07-2004, 14:07:40   #107
The Mad Monk
The REAL Nick Fury!

You tend to be a trollish drunk?

I will crush you. With happy little apples.

I am a happy little sig. virus. Please put me in your happy little sig. so I can continue to happily replicate. A little.

The Mad Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2004, 14:53:39   #108
Vincent
Unchained

And even more stupid. Unbelievable, but that's the way it is
Old 24-07-2004, 15:15:28   #109
Help TCO

I never thought much of you either, the only thing you seem to have going is this kinship with people who started the site. But you never say anything that catches my fancy. At least you're not doing Olliie poly so I can have you off ignore.
Old 24-07-2004, 16:02:26   #110
Vincent
Unchained

That's hard. Stop whining, polyboy.

Last edited by Vincent; 24-07-2004 at 16:04:28.
Old 24-07-2004, 16:50:56   #111
Help TCO

Just a statement, big guy.
Old 24-07-2004, 20:11:42   #112
Angelhorns
Flying Nazi Hamster

Quote:
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Well it's a kids book so the style is totally appropriate.
I mean the writing style- I know its a kids book, but her style is still somewhat lacking- she repeats herself a lot, her characters have little depth- the stories are plot driven which is why they are such a compelling read. Just because its a kids book doesnt mean those things should be lacking necessarily. I think they're great books, but its her created world, the details, and the unfolding of the plot Agatha Christie style that are the hooks. I think the weaknesses in her writing are particularly exposed in Book 5 where even the plot was saggy and over complex in parts. She really needed her editor to intervene more in that one.

Still, I think she's brought magic back to books and reading for kids and adults alike, so long may she reign. Frank Sinatra wasn't a technically great singer, but he was a great singer

Last edited by Angelhorns; 24-07-2004 at 20:14:08.
Angelhorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2004, 22:09:29   #113
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

Quote:
Originally posted by Help TCO
Damnit. Wasn't expecting that response. I thought you were going to give me a beatdown. I'm in Richmond now, not Atlanta. Guess you came over and I wasn't there. Sorry about that, slugger.

Still, what do you think of the point that the "normal order" is the order in which the protagonists age? The order in which different children are brought into the series (with overlap)?

And if you're so smart, why haven't you read Harry pothead? You can get them at the 'brary.
Point 1: I highly doubt our physical interaction would be any more of a success for you than our written one has been.

Point 2: By "normal" do you mean the originally released order or the newly favored chronological printing?
In either case, most discussion around this admittedly trite but oddly compelling debate leans toward the benefits of reading them both ways. I'm glad I read them in the original order first, because there is the added joy of getting new and revelatory books later in the series. It's always fun when new material is added to a body of work that one enjoys. Case in point for myself has been the Riverworld series by Philip Jose Farmer, where other authors have riffed on his world. Great short stories and further adventures that cover historical figures that he did not.
I don't think a federal case needs to be made out of it--has the same effect on me that homosexuality does--I'm not personally threatened by either approach and if people can find happiness through "different ways of loving" then more power to them.

Point 3: So far, Potter has failed to grab me, which is the type of reader I am, plain and simple. Either is works or it doesn't. I'll put down a book by a favority author if it doesn't resonate with me. Though I will try again with Potter, because I think the timing has just been wrong so far. I still don't think it will make my top 10 list.
Old 25-07-2004, 04:15:39   #114
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
My dear sir, if I am ...

: Golf clap :
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2004, 17:31:53   #115
Help TCO

Yeah, it's not that big a deal what order you read them. I read them in a random order and still liked them. Not that it's important, but I still don't think you get my point about the order. I'm not talking about the chronology of when Lewis wrote them, but about the time path of the children who are the protagonists.
Old 25-07-2004, 22:51:01   #116
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

Well, seeing as how I'm just starting over, my recollection of all the characters and their ages, etc. is a little foggy.
It would make sense to do that, sure...but with Magician's Nephew, it's different characters altogether and I believe (perhaps wrongly) that the wardrobe kids will age properly after that...
Old 26-07-2004, 02:16:24   #117
Help TCO

No, dude. Well I don't really recall the kids there. But what I do recall is that the chronology of the kids fits with Magician's Nephews. It's that Aslan sends them back in time.
Old 26-07-2004, 09:29:09   #118
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Location: Drowning in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry
Quote:
Originally posted by Angelhorns
I mean the writing style- I know its a kids book, but her style is still somewhat lacking- she repeats herself a lot, her characters have little depth- the stories are plot driven which is why they are such a compelling read. Just because its a kids book doesnt mean those things should be lacking necessarily. I think they're great books, but its her created world, the details, and the unfolding of the plot Agatha Christie style that are the hooks. I think the weaknesses in her writing are particularly exposed in Book 5 where even the plot was saggy and over complex in parts. She really needed her editor to intervene more in that one.

Still, I think she's brought magic back to books and reading for kids and adults alike, so long may she reign. Frank Sinatra wasn't a technically great singer, but he was a great singer
Yeah, but book 5 was my favourite so far. You suck.
Old 27-07-2004, 06:06:50   #119
The Mad Monk
The REAL Nick Fury!

Group hug!

I will crush you. With happy little apples.

I am a happy little sig. virus. Please put me in your happy little sig. so I can continue to happily replicate. A little.

The Mad Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 11:43:48   #120
zmama
Counterglow CEO

Only if you all shower first...and Lurker needs a flea dip too

The cats nestle close to their kittens now.
The lambs have laid down with the sheep.
You're cozy and warm in your bed, my dear
Please go the fuck to sleep.
zmama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 23:00:26   #121
Help TCO

Could I do you from behind while the water drips down on us?
Old 28-07-2004, 09:12:54   #122
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

I'll put £1000 on "No."
Old 28-07-2004, 11:34:57   #123
zmama
Counterglow CEO

Ah , not very good with the ladies, I see. Funko is correct, he wins the £1000.

Perhaps my best friend will make a good substitute for your shower scene, TCO.

Old 28-07-2004, 12:53:00   #124
Venom
Look out behind you!

He was in the Navy. He's only good with men.

Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 12:57:04   #125
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Ah, yes, hence his suggestion. Makes more sense if it's him and some petty officer in the shower.
Old 28-07-2004, 13:40:31   #126
zmama
Counterglow CEO

My best friend is a man

Old 28-07-2004, 13:47:07   #127
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

And that's relevant because?
Old 28-07-2004, 14:00:44   #128
zmama
Counterglow CEO

Just so Navy will be more comfortable

Old 28-07-2004, 14:22:07   #129
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Ah, you should have told him you slept with men but told people you weren't gay.
Old 28-07-2004, 16:43:14   #130
Venom
Look out behind you!

Dare I get back on topic?

Yes. I dare.

I just finished Potter 5 and I have to say that it was my favorite also. The battle at the end would make for great film.

Old 28-07-2004, 17:31:22   #131
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

Nerds vs. Wankers cage match?
Old 29-07-2004, 18:51:17   #132
DevilsH@lo
Gone and Long forgotten.

Quote:
Originally posted by Venom
Dare I get back on topic?

Yes. I dare.

I just finished Potter 5 and I have to say that it was my favorite also. The battle at the end would make for great film.
you and funko both suck monkeynuts. 4 was the best- the ending was terrifying! I did like 5 though although i didnt connect with sirius at all. Maybe I need a re read, I read all 5 in quick succession so maybe I was pottered out.

-AH
DevilsH@lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 19:27:01   #133
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

Why can't you just log in as yourself?
Old 29-07-2004, 19:51:18   #134
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

Well, I didn't connect much with Sirius either. And the reason is simply... he is just a background NPC. In #3, he's the villian. In #4, he's a concerned pen-pal that only appears in a handful of scenes. In #5, he's finally around for a bit to get some real character development/screen time... but then, well, you know what happens.

Honestly, it wasn't like with Neville, who has been a developing (mostly comedy relief to sometime side-kick).

#5 has a lot of charcter and plot development in it... but I think it needed a bit of fat trimming to make it the "Best So Far" of the series.
Old 30-07-2004, 02:27:21   #135
TCO

I didn't get that much from Sirius either.
TCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 02:27:57   #136
TCO

HP needs to lay the smack down. You know who is killing a character a book now. Can't be takign that.
TCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 07:45:30   #137
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

It's just training for the readers so they won't die of shock when Harry and 'Darth Vader is my hero!' kill each other in #7.
Old 30-07-2004, 12:49:47   #138
Venom
Look out behind you!

Quote:
Originally posted by DevilsH@lo
you and funko both suck monkeynuts. 4 was the best- the ending was terrifying! I did like 5 though although i didnt connect with sirius at all. Maybe I need a re read, I read all 5 in quick succession so maybe I was pottered out.

-AH
I will agree with the boobtacular one in disguise. I really liked the end of 4, but the information in 5 was outstanding. And I think the end of 5 was just as good as 4.

Old 30-07-2004, 15:51:55   #139
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

Personally, I thought #4's ending was a bit forced. There were some serious problems with it (if the whole school is watching, how did Dumbledore miss the twist villian casting mind control magics? How did Minerva, Snape, and the others experienced at spotting it and fighting it miss it? They were *all* too busy watching the prettiest witch wiggle and jiggle?). It does have that typical "Harry survives by an ocean of luck and an eye lash" ending...

It does well as the series major turning point in the Harry versus Big Bad Guy, but it just has the feel that it was more beaten into its particular path then what flow the story wants to take naturally. Most of those points prior to that in the series aren't quite so er... titantic.

But, since its light reading and not a real mystery...

Last edited by Darkstar; 30-07-2004 at 20:03:38.
Old 30-07-2004, 19:53:37   #140
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

If anyone wants to talk about Narnia, let me know...I think I have to leave this thread in case I see more spoilers and ruin the experience of possibley reading this load of crap.
Old 30-07-2004, 20:02:56   #141
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

You've seen the movies though, haven't you BGH? So you know the main plot points for 1 - 3.
Old 30-07-2004, 20:23:02   #142
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

Err..I've seen the first with one eye...I know the kid was orphaned, he's a stranger in a strange land with great untapped powers and destined for greatness, as well as having evil schemers plotting his downfall...gosh, what an original storyline!
Old 30-07-2004, 20:26:43   #143
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

Ah. Well, then, what are you doing in a thread about Harry #3 movie? Obviously, this is going to have spoilers in it! Well, to *you*.
Old 30-07-2004, 20:31:19   #144
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

I know...I'm such a culture rebel.
Old 30-07-2004, 20:35:06   #145
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

You mean, you just wanted to be part of the crowd!
Old 30-07-2004, 20:43:23   #146
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

Part of the crowd that ignored HP??? Where does that crowd meet, on the head of a pin?
Old 30-07-2004, 20:44:26   #147
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

No... I meant, part of the crowd talking about HP here!

If you want to be part of the anti-HP crowd, you shouldn't be posting in this thread, should you?
Old 30-07-2004, 21:45:12   #148
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

You've seen right through my aching loneliness...is it that obvious?
I half thought of pretending I'd read them, but alas, I feared I'd be made out a fake and further ostracized from the few people here who tolerated my presence.

I'll go now...to read about Narnia...alone...sniff.
Old 30-07-2004, 23:42:42   #149
fp
hypnotoad

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Part of the crowd that ignored HP??? Where does that crowd meet, on the head of a pin?
Being anti-conformist is one of the most conformist things you can do. Or something like that.
fp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 00:03:55   #150
BigGameHunter
Hunter of Game

Well, I think C.S. Lewis is just a far superior writer and the whole thing is a bit too similar for me to give it the time and proper effort now.
It's like how I couldn't read Asimov after Bradbury...I knew what I liked and the other was a pale comparison.
But I'm not saying people are sheep or stupid or can't think for themselves or have bought into a massive marketing ploy.
Enjoy!