Pubs Minister

New England Manager

Big Phil?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/4949118.stm
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 10:14:15   #2
King_Ghidra
pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

Purely from the perspective of seeing all the future hilarious headlines containing my name, he gets my vote.

From the perspective of being a no-frills, do what it takes to win type of manager, he also gets my vote.

From the perspective of how succesful he will be as a man-manger for a non latino team (to my knowledge he has only ever managed brazilian or portugese speaking teams), it's anyone's guess.

But seeing as sven is virtually the opposite kind of manager - too pally with the players and too obsessed with himself, then i think big phil might endear himself to the english people with a more no nonsense approach
King_Ghidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 10:16:14   #3
Funko
Pubs Minister

My mental picture of him is a kind of Brazillian Allardyce. That could be purely because of Big Phil/Big Sam though.
Old 27-04-2006, 10:34:01   #4
Funko
Pubs Minister

I think he's a better choice than Maclaren or Curbishley. O'Neil could have been good but his personal situation is difficult.

I thought Big Sam was the most appealing English candidate, because he mixes the most modern techniques with the no nonsense approach, but I think he is a bit too blunt for the FA. I think there's a good chance he'll go to Newcastle now.
Old 27-04-2006, 11:44:10   #5
Morte
Take this away...I weary of it.

My take on the candidates:

1: Big Phil
Top choice, no doubt about it, just has to flop the winners medal on the table and say "pick the bones out of that" (or whatever that is in portugese). Been there, done it and bought a number of tee shirts.

2: Big Sam
Some people (especially in the media) can't get past his night club bouncer looks but he has been on the cutting edge of using stats and technology to analyse the opposition and develop the fitness levels of his team. Not afraid to experiment if the original plan is going wrong...the best candidate out of the English 3.

3: Martin O'Neil
Engenders tremendous confindence in his team and probably the best motivator of all the current candidates. Again another who analyses the game and can make the important decisions when things aren't going well

4: Curbishley / McClaren
Dour plodders...the grey goo of managers, to be honest I'd rather the FA employ John Gregory / Holloway or Neil Warnock instead of either of these two, at least it would be entertaining

There's no shame in the FA working on the principle that they'd rather have an English manager but if there are better candidates to approach them instead (shame Hiddink got away).

I also hear that Big Phil is partial to punching out journos...so that should lead to some amusing stories.
Old 27-04-2006, 14:23:14   #6
Gramercy Riffs
Buff NUff

Fuck McClaren - Sir Alex Prototype

Fuck Curbishley - Sure, Charlton are an ok side but they have been an ok side for about 10 years now. Get me?

Fuck Big Sam - No class, an oaf for want of a better word. Good manager but abit..you know...common?

Its good to see the FA used there balls and went for the right man, not listen to dinosaurs like Harry Redknapp saying "well he should be English". To choose a lesser candidate purely because he's English would have to be the most retarded thing ever (aside from sticking your hands into a bed of needles in a field in Mortimer at 3.30 in the morning, but thats a different story really..)

Personally, I dont give a fuck if the guys from Mars if he's good enough.

Plus, Big Phil looks like Gene Hackman, who is cool, so.....you know, it helps.
Gramercy Riffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 14:28:18   #7
Funko
Pubs Minister

I was thinking earlier...

All the English potential managers are a bit like Ray Parlour. No matter how good they might be week in week out in the league, you just don't think they are good enough for international football.
Old 27-04-2006, 15:37:18   #8
King_Ghidra

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramercy Riffs
Fuck McClaren - Sir Alex Prototype
That's an outrageously undeserved compliment to McClaren, because he isn't even fit to lick ferguson's shoes.
Old 27-04-2006, 15:38:12   #9
King_Ghidra

I would like to see sam go to newcastle and see what he can do with a bigger club. I think he may have the right stuff.
Old 27-04-2006, 15:39:05   #10
Funko
Pubs Minister

Yeah, me too.
Old 27-04-2006, 17:52:20   #11
fp
hypnotoad

They should have gone for Hiddink while they had the chance. Still, at least Scolari can't possibly be as awful as McLaren would have been.
fp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 18:02:02   #12
Fistandantilus

Isn't there something wrong about 'pre-sacking' a manager with the world cup to play?

I think it would be more sensible to make these announcements after the competition, imo.
Fistandantilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 19:51:49   #13
Lazarus and the Gimp
Howling at the moon

I'd pick Ian Holloway as manager, with Aki Riihiilahti as assistant manager. They'd never win anything, but who'd care? It would be hilarious.
Lazarus and the Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 20:29:32   #14
*End Is Forever*

Bravo
*End Is Forever* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 21:08:44   #15
fp
hypnotoad

I love how someone in that link refers to the implication that two england footballers are gay as "a serious allegation".
Old 28-04-2006, 07:55:40   #16
Funko
Pubs Minister

Quote:
Originally posted by Fistandantilus
Isn't there something wrong about 'pre-sacking' a manager with the world cup to play?

I think it would be more sensible to make these announcements after the competition, imo.
He 'resigned' after the Fake Sheik sting, apparently there was an agreement that he'd leave after the world cup anyway, but they made it official.
Old 28-04-2006, 13:16:44   #17
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

I say bomb the FA first, because they're all a bunch of idiots!

My favourite choice was Guus Hiddink, but they totally ballsed that one up by virtually snubbing him to the extent that his agent feels they insulted him. Great!

For all Scolari's credentials I just don't see it working out at all. Apparently he's already asking for twice what the FA are offering him - and that must be a lot to begin with considering what Sven's already on! He hasn't even said he's interested anyway. so I'm hoping he'll snub them after the WC.

As for English coaches, my favourite would be Allardyce. Who cares if he's 'common', sounds like a plus considering that high ratio of mindless chav dicks who support England.

I believe the future is promising though for English managers with Jewell, Coppell, Pardew and Pearce coming through. Though arguably each of those still requires a lot more experience 'in the trenches' before we can be assured they are the finished article, with Paul Jewell being my favourite out of those.

Anyway, I say string up the stuffed shirt wankers at the FA first - then maybe we could get Hiddink.
Old 28-04-2006, 13:19:57   #18
Funko
Pubs Minister

The FA are apparently offering him 3m but as a "results based package" which is a lot less than what Sven is on.
Old 28-04-2006, 13:25:36   #19
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Well they won't be getting away with that then will they?

The morons are talking about offering him a seven year contract - imagine finding out the whole venture is a total flop after only a few months!!?

These are the same idiots that are responsible for Wembley getting built - on second thoughts, that is why I'm getting to see West Ham in Cardiff...
Old 28-04-2006, 13:30:51   #20
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Quote:
Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
Bravo
West Ham Season ticket holder - shame he's a Tory Boy...
Old 28-04-2006, 13:37:47   #21
Funko
Pubs Minister

Quote:
Originally posted by MOBIUS
Well they won't be getting away with that then will they?

The morons are talking about offering him a seven year contract - imagine finding out the whole venture is a total flop after only a few months!!?
You don't think stability is important? The offers were apparently 5 or 7 years. 5 years is 2 tournaments, 7 years is 3.

There'll probably be earlier get out clauses like there were with Sven's contract.
Old 28-04-2006, 13:52:46   #22
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Who is the real Scolari?

Quote:
He will hold court on such subjects as the fact that he tells his players to commit fouls, his admiration for General Pinochet or his prejudice against homosexuals.
Nice guy!
Old 28-04-2006, 14:46:20   #23
Gary
Putting you lot right since 2001

It may be less than Sven but didn't Sven negotiate a ridiculously high deal ? I don't mean literally ridiculous because everyone at the top of entertainment is paid obscene amounts. Goes without saying. I mean compared to other national manager positions.
Aleph-null bottles of beer on the wall.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 16:56:50   #24
fp
hypnotoad

Quote:
Originally posted by MOBIUS

I believe the future is promising though for English managers with Jewell, Coppell, Pardew and Pearce coming through.

Coppell is "coming through"? He's been a manager for 15+ years!
Old 28-04-2006, 17:05:21   #25
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

But only with little diddy clubs - the one big club he's been involved with (Man City) he quit after only 6 games.

He did do well at Crystal Palace though and maybe he just needs to shine with the proper backing.
Old 28-04-2006, 17:07:07   #26
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Looks like Scolari isn't going to be manager after all...
Old 03-05-2006, 11:06:17   #27
Funko
Pubs Minister

OK I am really bored so I have devised my England Plan B using the following handy link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/3914143.stm

Code:
                 Robinson

Neville, G  Ferdinand  Terry   Cole, A

Carrick

Gerrard                 Cole, J

Lampard

Crouch          Owen
Plan C

Code:
                 Robinson

Neville, G  Ferdinand  Terry   Cole, A

Gerrard  Lampard  Cole, J

Wright Phillips    Owen       Downing
Old 03-05-2006, 11:26:31   #28
maroule
Intermittent du spectacle

plan B looks good (can also work with Gerrard in the hole, and Hargrave as def mid), plan C relies on two nobodies on the wings, can work against Togo but no teams with half decent L or R backs
maroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:32:11   #29
Funko
Pubs Minister

I imagine the real plan B will be pretty much my plan B but with Beckham on the wing and Gerrard and Lampard in the centre.

As for the nobodies, I think they are both very good players and would present some problems to a lot of full backs. They are young and unproven at the top level (although Downing just pretty much dragged his team into the Uefa cup final), but that doesn't mean they aren't good enough.

How do you get proven at the top level if you never get a chance to play there?
Old 03-05-2006, 11:47:10   #30
maroule

That's pretty easy really, you're looking at people having an impact on big league matches, in int'l friendlies (that's what they are for), obviously in champ league, or even UEFA if it's against major teams (which tends not to be the case anymore).

Haven't seen all the int'l matches of england, or even all the big premiership matches, but I sure haven't seen or heard a lot about these two that make me think they deserve a starting place (esp in a 433 formation where most of the offensive animation relies on wing play)

The problem in England, esp with your press, is that you get super excited about young players who string together a couple of decent matches, then the spin factory gets in full swing, then suddenly you're all disappointed when they perform averagely.

You're just lacking measure in your moments of excitment (you have too much measure the rest of the time). Your drinking culture is a good illustration of that also.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:49:03   #31
MoSe
Cutie of Hearts

Topic: "New England Manager"

They have a New England team?????
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
THIS IS MY LAST POST !!!
MoSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:55:44   #32
Mr. Bas
Inde deus abest

I'd pick Carragher over Ferdinand anyday, he had another very weak game this weekend and he seems completely out of shape. For the rest, I think plan B looks good... Like maroule I have some reservations about Downing and Wright-Phillips, neither have impressed me very much during the admittedly limited number of games I've seen them play in. Still, I say give them a chance, but I doubt they'll be able to make much of an impact during most games.
Mr. Bas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:57:51   #33
Funko
Pubs Minister

Quote:
Originally posted by maroule
That's pretty easy really, you're looking at people having an impact on big league matches, in int'l friendlies (that's what they are for), obviously in champ league, or even UEFA if it's against major teams (which tends not to be the case anymore).

Haven't seen all the int'l matches of england, or even all the big premiership matches, but I sure haven't seen or heard a lot about these two that make me think they deserve a starting place (esp in a 433 formation where most of the offensive animation relies on wing play)
Plan C was meant to be a couple of subsitutions to change around Plan B a bit, not a starting line-up. It is partly based on my lack of faith in our second string strikers, but they are talented.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:00:41   #34
Funko
Pubs Minister

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Bas
I'd pick Carragher over Ferdinand anyday,
Yeah, I think that Carragher and Terry are a bit similar, Ferdinand and Terry offers a nicer balance.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:02:35   #35
maroule

I'm sure they are, but it doesn't mean by any means that they can perform well on the big stage. It's not even half the equation.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:37:40   #36
Funko
Pubs Minister

They may not even both make the squad. SWP's sub appearances have probably done enough to get him there though.

Anyway, I'm glad this stimulated some debate. I was expecting it to die on it's arse. I guess everyone is also bored?
Old 03-05-2006, 12:42:25   #37
maroule

yeah, pretty much
Old 03-05-2006, 12:55:25   #38
Funko
Pubs Minister

Now doing the World Cup predictor:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/...6/default.stm#

I have England vs. Ivory Coast in the 1/4 final.

Ivory Coast knocked out Portugal and England knocked out Poland after topping their group on goals scored. A lot of draws meaning three teams had 5 points each. Was very exciting.

Doooooooooo di dooooooooooo.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:55:30   #39
Fistandantilus

Who the hell crouch is? the 6 meter tall one who plays for Liverpool?
Old 03-05-2006, 12:55:52   #40
Funko
Pubs Minister

Yes, the ridiculous lanky freak.
Old 03-05-2006, 13:03:31   #41
Fistandantilus

Ah, I see.. didn't know he was national team material, he didn't look very good the few times I saw him play but then again I don't follow the Premieleague that much.
Old 03-05-2006, 13:06:48   #42
Funko
Pubs Minister

He's come on as a sub in the last two games, when we've been behind, and it's caused a comeback.

His freakiness seems to confuse defenders. I think he'd be better as a sub than a starter, if only so that we can bring on him and tiny SWP together every game for the viewing public's amusement.
Old 03-05-2006, 13:09:07   #43
maroule

he has a very good touch for someone his size
Old 03-05-2006, 13:24:55   #44
King_Ghidra

actually i think he deserves his place in the squad and maybe even the first xi, simply because he provides a different and difficult problem for defenders. But he is no kind of striker, just a big freak to bounce stuff off and hope it falls to an attacking midfielder or strike partner. I don't have a problem with that, but the team needs to play in a completely different way to take advantage of that. If they are disciplined and understand how that system works, it's potentially a good approach.
Old 03-05-2006, 13:28:03   #45
Funko
Pubs Minister

Although it's not the most skillful of roles he does have adequate touch and reading of the game to be able to pull that unglamourous task off at international level.
Old 03-05-2006, 13:31:22   #46
maroule

he's Heskey with a better technique
Old 03-05-2006, 13:36:00   #47
Funko
Pubs Minister

I think they are very different players. Heskey was quick and strong, Crouch isn't that fast but he's got really long thin legs that can reach balls you'd never expect them to get to.

But neither of them score enough.
Old 03-05-2006, 13:48:15   #48
maroule

"Heskey was quick and strong"

honestly I can only remember him charging like a bull and tripping on the ball
Old 03-05-2006, 13:51:58   #49
Funko
Pubs Minister

Bull = quick, strong, not so good at Cruyff turns.
Old 03-05-2006, 13:55:09   #50
maroule

it's refreshing to know there's always a special place set aside in the English team for a "bouncer" (aka here to have the ball bounce off him in unexpected directions) whose main job is to barge into people