Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Games

Old 17-06-2008, 10:16:02   #1
MDA

Location: updated his email address and can look but not post
The Witcher

I'm only into the second chapter, but I'm having fun with it.

A bit like Diablo or Divine Divinity, but the combat takes a little more thought and I like the story better.

Dialog is translated from Polish and a bit clunky sometimes, if I had to complain about anything its the little inconsistencies that seem to result from that. M rating for language, blood spray, and fade out sex scenes.

Almost everything I've run across so far to fight has a counter that makes them much easier to beat. The boss at the end of the first chapter was still difficult, but I got him on the fourth attempt.

www.thewitcher.com
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 07:27:01   #2
C.G.B. Spender
Burggespenst Lülü

From celebrations in the press and reactions of some players in other fora I got the impression it's bugged but hyped ...
C.G.B. Spender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 10:34:54   #3
LoD
The Human Banning Rod.

Quote:
Originally posted by MDA
I'm only into the second chapter, but I'm having fun with it.

A bit like Diablo or Divine Divinity, but the combat takes a little more thought and I like the story better.
No wonder, it's based on the most known (and possibly best) Polish fantasy series.

Quote:
Dialog is translated from Polish and a bit clunky sometimes, if I had to complain about anything its the little inconsistencies that seem to result from that. [...]
Has it been rendered as modern English with occasional anachronisms, or as archaic English?

I have the game, but haven't played much due to lack of time and performance problems (probably stemming from the fact the drivers for my laptop's graphic card haven't been updated for over 2 freaking years).

What I've seen, I liked. The combat system was weird at first, but once you learn to use it, it works nicely.
Old 18-06-2008, 11:06:07   #4
MDA

Well, the CD drive runs constantly for no obvious reason, and zone loading is slower than other games, so I imagine there's some sort of draconian copy protection system hogging up resources. My computer is a little over three years old and runs OK at medium settings.

its modern english

I got a contract yesterday to kill Ghouls, so instead of running right out and whacking away at them, I went to a bookseller and bought a book on ghouls, read it, learned they were weak against silver weapons and a certain weapon oil. I made the weapon oil with alchemy, went to the graveyard, put the oil on my silver weapon and made quick work of them. I could have just run straight to the graveyard and started whacking away with different weapons and combat styles to see what worked through trial and error, but I like that there's usually a more thoughtful option available than "smack it with the biggest stick you can find and chug healing potions". Actually, you can't just chug more than a handful of potions without resting or you start to suffer negative side effects, which was also a neat idea.

Its not a mind-blowing game, but enjoyable. They tried some different things (different to me, anyway) with gameplay and a lot of them worked pretty well.
Old 18-06-2008, 11:08:44   #5
C.G.B. Spender
Burggespenst Lülü

Quote:
Originally posted by MDA
I could have just run straight to the graveyard and started whacking away with different weapons and combat styles to see what worked through trial and error, but I like that there's usually a more thoughtful option
Yeah, GOOGLE!!!
Old 18-06-2008, 16:09:54   #6
LoD
The Human Banning Rod.

Modern, but not overly "correct", I hope? I'm asking since I've once read a translation of Sapkowski's short story, said translation being abysmal - it had a slightly archaized, very "proper" (no contractions etc.) language, which completely failed to convey the atmosphere of the original.

The idea of gearing up for different monsters is a nice touch, and faithful to the books to boot.
Old 18-06-2008, 17:38:52   #7
MDA

not overly correct, nor overly polite

There are lots of places where things aren't translated well. From what I've read, the US English version of the game not only had to be translated, but some genius decided to parse out about half of the translated dialog from the orginal version. Some of it is unintentionally funny, and other times its just irritating because it breaks up the immersion, but at no point yet have I been "lost". They did a poor job of things in that respect. The journal entries that follow the important conversations do partially compensate and keep me on track but I get the feeling I'm missing out on a lot of flavor.
Old 19-06-2008, 07:07:57   #8
C.G.B. Spender
Burggespenst Lülü

In Wow they hadn't translated most names of NPCs and places. That was kinda fitting. After two years they translated almost everything into German, which was kinda strange.
Old 22-06-2008, 10:34:59   #9
LoD
The Human Banning Rod.

Quote:
Originally posted by MDA
not overly correct, nor overly polite
Oh, good. I asked because I once read a translated short story - alluding to the saying about translation and women, it was neither beautiful, nor faithful.

Quote:
There are lots of places where things aren't translated well. From what I've read, the US English version of the game not only had to be translated, but some genius decided to parse out about half of the translated dialog from the orginal version. Some of it is unintentionally funny, and other times its just irritating because it breaks up the immersion, but at no point yet have I been "lost". They did a poor job of things in that respect. The journal entries that follow the important conversations do partially compensate and keep me on track but I get the feeling I'm missing out on a lot of flavor.
So they've cut out huge swathes of text? For what, to keep the M rating or something like that? That's criminal.

The other day I've read that there will be an "Extended Edition" released this September, available as a free download to those that purchased the game beforehand. It promises some improvements, such as a vastly extended range of facial expressions and body language in NPCs, some new adventures, and "improvements to foreign language versions".
Old 25-06-2008, 07:49:42   #10
maroule
Intermittent du spectacle

I finished it the other day
enjoyed it a lot
you can have sex ! the combat system is great! the story is very mature (shades of grey rather than black or white)!

hopefully there will be a follow up
maroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 09:32:24   #11
LoD
The Human Banning Rod.

Quote:
Originally posted by maroule
I finished it the other day
enjoyed it a lot
you can have sex ! the combat system is great! the story is very mature (shades of grey rather than black or white)!
That's Sapkowski for you.
Old 28-06-2008, 13:11:36   #12
MDA

I read the English translation of Last Wish this week at the beach.

I'm sure its not as good as the original, but still a good read.