Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Music

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27-03-2004, 21:09:19   #1
Lazarus and the Gimp
Howling at the moon

Greatest screams, shrieks and howls in Rock

Pixies - "Tame"

Black Francis was probably the greatest screamer in rock, and this was his greatest moment. The screams kick off on every chorus- shrill, grating things wrenched through clenced teeth. However it's what he does in the outro that really clinches it. He starts wringing out these volcanic gouts of pure noise straight from the pit of his ample belly that sound like some sort of doppler-distorted ninja death missile passing inches away from your eardrums.

Suicide- "Frankie Teardrop"

In this track, Alan Vega attempts to vocalise the experience of dying, going to hell and writhing in eternal agony there. It's almost enough to get me back into church. Shrieks, screams, gibbers and gnashing. Not easy listening.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds- "Stagger Lee"

Nick Cave can't scream for toffee- he's a lightweight in this category. However his guitarist, the mighty Blixa Bargeld of Einsturzende Neubaten, certainly isn't. In the coda of this track from "Murder Ballads", he lets rip with a set of shrieks that don't sound even vaguely human. When I first heard it, I thought it was some sort of feedback. How he gets a note that high just baffles me- he could sell it as a means of scaring off agressive dogs.

Bruce Springsteen- "State Trooper"

From "Nebraska". It's a terse, brooding track. As it pulses out to a close, Bruce whoops and it's an empty and desolate sound. You ponder on it as the guitar notes keeps thrumming along insistently, getting your head around the cold expanses of Prairie he's singing of. Yup, you think you're starting to understand.
Then, suddenly, this howl hits you and it's like a glimpse into fucking Hades. It's the most bleak and abandoned sound I've heard coming from a human throat- this Coyote-howl from a very distant past. It's hair-raising.

What's yours?
Lazarus and the Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote