Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Music

Old 27-03-2004, 21:09:19   #1
Lazarus and the Gimp
Howling at the moon

Greatest screams, shrieks and howls in Rock

Pixies - "Tame"

Black Francis was probably the greatest screamer in rock, and this was his greatest moment. The screams kick off on every chorus- shrill, grating things wrenched through clenced teeth. However it's what he does in the outro that really clinches it. He starts wringing out these volcanic gouts of pure noise straight from the pit of his ample belly that sound like some sort of doppler-distorted ninja death missile passing inches away from your eardrums.

Suicide- "Frankie Teardrop"

In this track, Alan Vega attempts to vocalise the experience of dying, going to hell and writhing in eternal agony there. It's almost enough to get me back into church. Shrieks, screams, gibbers and gnashing. Not easy listening.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds- "Stagger Lee"

Nick Cave can't scream for toffee- he's a lightweight in this category. However his guitarist, the mighty Blixa Bargeld of Einsturzende Neubaten, certainly isn't. In the coda of this track from "Murder Ballads", he lets rip with a set of shrieks that don't sound even vaguely human. When I first heard it, I thought it was some sort of feedback. How he gets a note that high just baffles me- he could sell it as a means of scaring off agressive dogs.

Bruce Springsteen- "State Trooper"

From "Nebraska". It's a terse, brooding track. As it pulses out to a close, Bruce whoops and it's an empty and desolate sound. You ponder on it as the guitar notes keeps thrumming along insistently, getting your head around the cold expanses of Prairie he's singing of. Yup, you think you're starting to understand.
Then, suddenly, this howl hits you and it's like a glimpse into fucking Hades. It's the most bleak and abandoned sound I've heard coming from a human throat- this Coyote-howl from a very distant past. It's hair-raising.

What's yours?
Lazarus and the Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2004, 02:07:45   #2
Scabrous Birdseed
for your usergroup and post count

How negative of you, Laz! Don't you have any screams of positive emotion that you like? I'm thinking of something like the intial "oh-oh-ho-ho-yeah" of T. Rex's Metal Guru - surely if anything sums up the elation of glam it's that.
Old 28-03-2004, 06:12:05   #3
Lazarus and the Gimp
Howling at the moon

Well ones that nearly featured were Kim Deal's orgasmic yips off the first Breeders album, and Tim Buckley's "way-out-there" ascending-angel warbling off "Starsailor".
Old 29-03-2004, 12:34:09   #4
King_Ghidra
pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

The dude from 80's matchbox b-line disaster does some great shouting on various tracks on their album.
King_Ghidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 15:40:09   #5
Mr. Bas
Inde deus abest

I have to agree with Frank Black and the guy from the 80''s matchbox b-line disaster, they both did some brilliant screaming. Other impressive screamers are Tool's Maynard James Keenan (see for example Jerk-off or The Grudge), Converge's Jakob Bannon (although he screams all the time, really) and Sick Of It All's Lou (or Pete?) Koller. My personal favourite scream by Koller is the one at the beginning of Disco sucks, fuck everything, although it doesn't sound that great on the album. It is amazing live, though.

Some other interesting screams are at the beginning of Slayer's Angel of Death (at the beginning, I always think it starts out as a guitar effect) and the weird yell by Spot on Husker Du's Standing by the sea. Talking about Husker Du, Bob Mould is also brilliant in songs like Eight miles high, Something I learned today and New day rising.

Last edited by Mr. Bas; 31-03-2004 at 08:32:44.
Mr. Bas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 15:50:03   #6
Eklektikos
Eponymous

You mean the really high falsetto single held note vocal thingy in Standing By The Sea?

That's the thing that lifts the song from merely great to minor work of genius in my opinion.
"In general, someone is a thing of value if and only if he or she is willing to submit to whatever degradation and abuse is required to preserve that position. Anything less betrays a lack of commitment." - Steve Albini
Eklektikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2004, 08:17:34   #7
Nills Lagerbaak
Role Model

I always liked the shout of "Yowza!" At the end of GNRs Mr. Brownstone.

Can't beat AC/DC for some good shriekiage!

"I quite like the fairies." - Funko
Nills Lagerbaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2004, 17:50:25   #8
Eklektikos
Eponymous

Might be stretching the definition of "Rock" a little, but Yamatsuka/Yamantaka/whateverhecallshimselfnow Eye's screams on the first Naked City album are pretty impressive, as are Mike Patton's on thefirst Fantômas album.
"In general, someone is a thing of value if and only if he or she is willing to submit to whatever degradation and abuse is required to preserve that position. Anything less betrays a lack of commitment." - Steve Albini
Eklektikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2004, 19:55:25   #9
Lazarus and the Gimp
Howling at the moon

I remember watching Eye with The Boredoms at Glastonbury. That was impressive. Jeff Buckley did a brilliant Eye impression on the Pyramid stage the next day.
Old 31-03-2004, 19:59:54   #10
Chris
really doesn't pay attention

Roger Daltry had an impressive scream in a who song.
Old 31-03-2004, 20:39:37   #11
PosterBoy
Big Sissy

I was just thinking of Love Reign on me by The Who when reading this thread.

Jay: If you know so much, tell me something about myself.
Rufus: You masturbate more than anyone else on the planet.
Jay: Shit, everyone knows that. Tell me something else.
Rufus: When you do it, you're thinking about guys.
[Silent Bob starts to look freaked out.]
Jay: [to Bob] Dude, not ALL the time!
PosterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote