Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > Site Issues > Archive > CounterPoint Archive

Old 11-07-2002, 15:43:08   #1
Gary
Putting you lot right since 2001

!"£$%^&*()

Warning, winge.

Just been to a Windows / Office XP course, so I can be a Super-user and answer others' questions. Huh, seemed all fairly straightforward to me. I don't anticipate many questions. At least not many I can answer from a 3 hour, what appears to be, Intro, course.

What I did find out though, was the straightjacket the employees are getting put into. No custom screen saver, wallpaper or appearance. You WILL have this horrible glaring white screen with the company logo continually flashing at you, giving you a headache, whether you like it or not. No access to the C: drive or A: drive. No shortcuts.

I have been feeling less and less respected as this company goes on, year after year. And now I feel unvalued, untrusted, and ... well herded. I'd look up the old CV and update it, but unlike some who seem to relish it, I absolutely hate interviews, job seeking and all that crap. Trying to make out you're superman with knobs on. Telling a load of lies so you ain't dismissed before the CV is read. Who the hell does anything useful in their spare time anyway ? And what's it to the company, nosey sods. Besides who want to take on someone in their forties who's reason for leaving the last job would be, I can't take any more shit from the management.

If it wasn't for the fact that the money is quite good (for an engineer that is)... I feel that they think I'm just there to fit in with the company, rather than be an individual making a contribution. I'm surprised they don't have a company uniform and get us to sing the company song every morning.

Shit. I guess I ought to give it a chance before I do anything drastic, but one wonders if it's all worth it sometimes. As if the commuting and the traffic and the lack of life isn't bad enough already.

Think I need to go for a pint tonight.
Old 11-07-2002, 15:46:11   #2
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Location: Drowning in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry
They do it to make maintenence easier, Windows systems are so flakey anyway if they make sure people can't install anything it reduces machine breakages and speeds up fixes. Just money saving.
Old 11-07-2002, 15:48:59   #3
FunkyFingers
Bass, bass bass bass Bass!

Company lock-down is very common in Big-Business these days, for the reasons Funko's suggested. Does make the end-user feel a bit like they're stuck in the film world Brazil or something.

All jobs suck though, it's just a way to pay the bills and earn enough to enjoy life outside of work, unless you're one of the very few lucky people who find their fulfilling careers. Bastards!

Go and have that pint.
Old 11-07-2002, 16:07:20   #4
Gary

Have to. Part of the reason I'm going onto XP is that they're moving us (again) this time down the road a bit, to a new building. So they've moved the vending machines out already and so I'm starving with nothing to fix it. Must go. Need food.

By the way, if they employed competant PC staff, they'd not have a problem getting things going. I know, I've lived with problems they couldn't fix for ages. They come here as experts, look in the help file (as if we'd not already done that and more !), reinstall, and if that fails, they want to wipe the disk. Bugger me ! I could give that level of help ... I think my granny could and she's dead !

Gotta go.
Aleph-null bottles of beer on the wall.
Old 11-07-2002, 16:08:07   #5
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

Competent PC staff cost an absolute fortune, much cheaper to lock things down and employ idiots.
Old 11-07-2002, 16:13:18   #6
FunkyFingers
Bass, bass bass bass Bass!

Thing is, with Windoze, the problem is usually so recalcitrant that the only real solutions are either A: reboot, and B: Fdisk and reinstall...
Old 11-07-2002, 16:14:28   #7
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

c: Kick the machine out of the window cursing the name of the Gates Satan.
Old 11-07-2002, 16:18:12   #8
Spartak
_

Old 11-07-2002, 16:18:26   #9
MDA

Location: updated his email address and can look but not post
You have to admit, some people SHOULDN'T be permitted access to their own computers. The problem is that its insulting to people who know what they're doing. They should have an additional level of access for non-idiot-but-non-administrator.

Have the same problem here. I tried to manually update my antivirus scanner the other day and it was restricted to administrators
Old 11-07-2002, 16:50:38   #10
Tizzy
Lazy Nerd owner

Everything significant here is restricted to administrators.
You just have to know the admin password

Old 11-07-2002, 17:10:09   #11
Venom
Look out behind you!

That's why I like to be in the IT department, so I am the administrator.

Old 11-07-2002, 17:22:07   #12
DaShi
Hooray for Earth!

Try 2 pints.
Old 11-07-2002, 17:55:58   #13
Nav
Never gonna be as ugly as Lurker

We have a similar lock-down, but it only covers installing software, everything else is open to abuse. (but most of our staff are computer literate). At the moment even surfing is blocked due to our pipe provider going up the nozzle.

Luckily I work in IT and have full access to everything.. including unmonitored internet access...
Old 11-07-2002, 18:17:49   #14
MDA

IT jobs are just looking better and better.
Old 11-07-2002, 18:31:28   #15
Venom
Look out behind you!

IT are the people that truly control a company.

Old 12-07-2002, 07:15:38   #16
Darkstar
will bitch for beer

That sucks, Gary.

Our staff remove the local admin account from all systems on the intranet a while back. Now, noone can figure out how to install anything... because they (the staff) cannot access the local admin account to install the software with the correct privs. They are just so smart.

It tis to laugh...
Old 15-07-2002, 16:56:25   #17
Gary

Ugh !

Insufficent parking. Aparently I only got into the new complex because some poeple had left ! And if you park on the street outside, you're in trouble.

Can't get on because neither the new PC, nor the old one that they decided we developers could take with us, works.

The new one because it only has the standard MS Office suite and one or two other things loaded. Nothing I actually need beyond that. The old one because they're not allowing it to get on the Intranet (comes up moaning about no tree found).

And, of course, they don't want either PC to access both locations where data is stored (i.e. the old C: drive and the network I: drive) !

And they intend for that to be the case. And for the old PC not to be able to print !

All I can do is write documents, or spreadsheets, or e-mail (new PC only), or surf the Net. But as for getting on with any work !

One good thing, I've found my old CV file. Not been looked at since 1992 ! Shit, what have I done over the last decade ? Besides post here that is ?
Old 15-07-2002, 17:42:58   #18
The Shaker
Bag of Cabbages

Our lockdown covers pretty much everything.
COs i do tons of non centralised stuff i'm always needing new software etc , and have to wait for PC guys to do it.
Once they couldn't be arsed, so I did it myself (they gave me access) I accidntally installed MS Explorer, deleted my $PATH
and ended up with a fucked computer.
moral: Never give stupid people access to anything more difficult to use than a feather duster.
Old 15-07-2002, 18:36:35   #19
Funkodrom
Die Müfzwerge

You should never be allowed access to one of those either.
Old 15-07-2002, 19:02:37   #20
MDA

Foreign object removal!
Old 16-07-2002, 09:38:11   #21
Gary

Interesting. IE history not kept either. Apparently didn't browse anywhere yesterday. And since I could do next to no work on the present set up, I thought I'd done a bit of that.