Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Games

Old 06-03-2012, 14:00:23   #1
MDA

Location: updated his email address and can look but not post
Mass Effect 3

Stayed up to midnight to make a character and watch the intro...
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 14:30:54   #2
Venom
Look out behind you!

Exited for it, but still won't pay full price. I'll wait awhile.

Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 15:05:10   #3
Fistandantilus

I bought ME1 at bargain price (discovered it late) and enjoyed it so much I preordered ME2 straight away.
While I enjoyed ME2 I didn't quite like the direction they took the game into so it will be a wait and see approach for me, expecially cause not being available on Steam kinda annoys me.
Fistandantilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 15:09:17   #4
MDA

No Steam was annoying. Probably another EA conspiracy.

I missed 1 and 2 and got both for cheap.
Old 06-03-2012, 15:19:55   #5
Fistandantilus

We're waiting for a review nevertheless
Old 06-03-2012, 15:29:35   #6
Funko
Pubs Minister

They launched their own version of Steam, which is why I got a free copy of Mass Effect 2 to make me download it.
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 15:29:42   #7
Funko
Pubs Minister

(which I still haven't played)
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 15:46:57   #8
Fistandantilus

Yes I know about Origin (their direct download client).
My fiancee uses it a lot to buy at full price all those expansions/adds on for the Sims 3 and then proceed to repeatedly say "cuuteee... coool.. look this!" in a very high pitched voice for about 15 minutes before getting utterly bored and forget about them.

Which does not improve my mood towards EA.
Old 07-03-2012, 15:19:51   #9
MDA

Let's see... sticking to gameplay and avoiding spoilers

Normal difficulty, Soldier Shepard, transfer character that went through ME1 and 2.

Tiny, hard to see targeting reticule, corrected to something more useful by zooming in/right clicking - probably by design, I've gotten used to quickly zooming, firing, then releasing the zoom. Still trainable after all these years.

The fonts all got smaller. Damn my eyes and the whippersnappers that designed the UI. Maybe 40something Apple Adventure kids aren't their target market. Xyzzy, amirite?

Enemies are better at flushing me from cover/flanking - I guess that's a good thing if you don't suck at shooters. It probably has more to do with good maps and clever spawn points than actual AI. Enemy engineers drop sentry guns. These are moderately dangerous. They will kill you in about three seconds if you stand still in the open, and they're ammunition sponges. Maybe I should not try to kill them with bullets. There are also particularly annoying guys with riot shields that need to be flanked, picked up, knocked over, or sniped through their view slits. Sniping through view slits is exceptionally satisfying, but not easy.

I imported a Mass Effect 1/2 character. This was cool, because then the game adjusts your story to match (so they say, I'm far enough along to know that someone that died due to my decisions in my first game is still good and dead). The less cool part was I started the game at level 30something, which is pretty damned powerful (I know, I know. How does one "forget" how to put incendiary ammo in their weapon?). I get the "continuity" thing from a story standpoint, but I'm not sure I like it applied to character leveling. I'm missing out on the reward of working my way up. Whether you like it or not will be personal. Lots of people feel entitled to a reward for playing the earlier games. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the enemies you face are at least partially leveled so that they continue to be a challenge to the player. Summary: I'd rather have started at level three, not thirty, as a "reward" for playing through the earlier games.

I seem to be spending a lot of time (in the first hour or two of the game, at least) running through areas empty of enemies with my weapon drawn, while my squadmates chatter about the current mission/situation. It wasn't working for me, specifically on the moon over Palaven, the Turian homeworld. I get that they were trying to deliver some story elements while you still "played the game", but all I was doing was running down a barren path for a couple of minutes. Have a husk pop up a time or two to keep me awake, maybe?

Mildly irritating: Splash screens during map transitions disappear before I can read the first three words. Maybe that's optimized for console processing speeds. Not sure if I'm missing important information or just hints. Suspect it's just hints.

Coop multiplayer looks like it might be fun, and how well you do in multiplayer can carry over to a single player game. It's not supposed to be strictly necessary, as you can do survey missions in single player that give analagous benefits to "galactic war readiness", which in turn is supposed to affect how well things turn out at the end of the game. I may give it a try.

The survey missions are simpler and less time consuming than the ME2 mining missions. Survey here and there around the system to find planets or floating debris. Find the white spot on planetary scanners, and launch a single probe at it. Done. In fact, if you spend too much time pinging your sonar (ha) in Reaper infested areas, they start to hunt for Normandy, forcing you to leave the system until you complete another mission.

Pet peeve: The sound of using a mass relay is incredibly loud compared to the rest of the sound in the game. I keep scrambling for my speaker controls so as not to freak out our neurotic noise phobic dog. zzzzzZZZZZTTT! POW!

I picked up the DLC for the Prothean squadmember. He looks pretty cool, and he's got a handy plaguelike damage over time ability that jumps to another enemy if it still has time left on it when the first enemy dies. Not at all a must have, but nice for flavor. The mission to find him and thaw him out wasn't difficult at all aside from the last 60 seconds or so. It was more difficult finding my way around the map.

Just as I was finishing up last night's session, I found a semiautomatic assault rifle that absolutely rocks. Weapons can also be modded. The citadel is loaded with shops selling weapons and mods (ha, spoiler!). These shops can be accessed from the Normandy's armory after you've visited them. Prices looked to be about 10% higher when you "mail order" from Normandy, just like the guy in the armory said it would.

Renegade choices so far have been only moderately badass. I suppose they're trying to show even Shepard is human, and feeling the strain as the Reapers advance.

Jack is back (I guess if you got her killed previously, she won't be). She's more believable to me now than she was in ME2. I won't say more.

I'm rambling now. Put it down to lack of sleep.
Old 07-03-2012, 15:27:35   #10
MDA

Don't fear the Reapers... we can be like they are... baby take my hand

Again... lack of sleep.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2012, 15:30:33   #11
MDA

Would "Blue Oyster Husks" be a good name for a (comic-con) band?
Old 07-03-2012, 22:02:35   #12
Venom
Look out behind you!

I've heard the endings are somewhat controversial and not all that well received by the community.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:27:10   #13
MDA

I've been avoiding reading about it, but got the same impression.

Combat suffers from the same spawning hordes nonsense that Dragon Age 2 did. It's well hidden, probably due to more complex maps, but still there. Sometimes Reapers just airdrop in in a red puff of smoke.

Just figured out tonight that I can upgrade my v1 weapons to v2 - v5 in the ship armory. Durr.

Still... really enjoying it.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:12:15   #14
maroule
Intermittent du spectacle

I'm getting it today... looking forward to get my saved Shepard back in action... I enjoyed both previous opus equally, and while the streamlined version of ME2 frustrated a bit the RPG fetishist in me, the characterisation of your team members and the loyalty winning mission were superb...

since I also bought the dvd of the first season of GoT, there will be a bit of the scramble for tV time
maroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:54:59   #15
MDA

I'm starting to get the impression that readiness does affect the ending of the game, and that the only way to change it is multiplayer. I thought all endings were possible in single player if you did lots of side missions and resource hunting, but now I'm not sure. I probably can't be sure without risking spoiling things for myself. Hmm.

The semiautomatic rifle I found is called the Mattock, and I love it. There's a sniper rifle category hybrid weapon that has a decent clip size and rapid fire in exchange for vastly reduced damage as well. They seem to be pretty similar.
Old 08-03-2012, 23:57:37   #16
Fistandantilus

Cool review altho I have no idea of what is readiness
Old 09-03-2012, 12:23:10   #17
MDA

You're given a number that represents the military power of your fleet. Readiness, I suppose, is a measurement of your ability to use that power and is a percentage number that modifies your fleet power.

If you do no multiplayer, your fleet assets and/or their supply chain is presumably spread out and engaged with reaper forces, and unable to contribute to the battle for Earth. This cuts your fleet power in half - doing tons and tons of multiplayer can apparently bring your readiness to 100% by eliminating conflict in areas that tie up your fleet resources.

There was an official post on the Bioware forums yesterday stating that there are sufficient fleet resources available for the player to find in the single player game to make all game endings available without resorting to multiplayer. Guess I wasn't the only one confused.

Last edited by MDA; 19-03-2012 at 17:42:56. Reason: more better punctuation, kept bad sentence structure
Old 09-03-2012, 15:00:57   #18
Fistandantilus

Oh, i see. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:49:35   #19
Venom
Look out behind you!

Don't kill yourself for the readiness. It doesn't impact the ending all that much because all the endings are generally the same. At least thematically.

Old 12-03-2012, 13:00:11   #20
MDA

Finished. Fun to play, enjoyed it up to the ending, which fell flat. It appears you get three choices of ending no matter how you get to the end.

Felt a bit like Deus Ex, the way they pull the rug out from under you at the last moment - all kinds of stuff changed on the way to the end as a result of your actions, but you get the same three choices of ending regardless. Assuming I'm right about the three endings.

I'm finding playing as an adept a lot easier than soldier was. The problem with adrenaline rush is that I don't need it to hit/get a lot of headshots in on my targets, but there's a nice damage bonus for using it. It didn't get used much. It was fantastic in tough situations when I needed it, but I avoided it because... it slowed the game down.

Last edited by MDA; 12-03-2012 at 13:02:36.
Old 13-03-2012, 03:55:53   #21
MDA

TLDR: Imagine traveling the galaxy on an epic quest, meeting interesting people, doing heroic things, having a total blast along the way. When you get to your mysterious final destination... it's just a Starbucks, and they're all out of coffee anyway.

Enjoyed the ride, though.
Old 13-03-2012, 09:22:49   #22
Fistandantilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA View Post
... it's just a Starbucks, and they're all out of coffee anyway.
Old 14-03-2012, 09:33:15   #23
maroule

I'm certainly enjoying the ride (only about 2 hours into it)

question; in Bioware games I normally do all the missions I can before doing the end game, so I take a long time... which is normally fine, but in ME2, getting all the upgrades and side missions meant your crew (except the doctor) which was captured was killed if you didn't hurry... is there the same mechanisme in ME3 (more people in Earth get killed if you don't pick up the pace)?
Old 14-03-2012, 10:45:42   #24
MDA

not really an issue, so far as I've seen

I'm guessing military strength at the start of the final push has more to do with it, if anything does.
Old 19-03-2012, 08:46:11   #25
maroule

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

just finished the mission on tutchanka, and the veil... I don't normally lose a lot of time or sleep on game's moral dilemnas but this one was splendid, a fitting ending to the xenophage narrative trail since ME1... its was beautifully balanced, and made me doubt my decision up until the last second... and then, in a split second, I had to make a call, and I shot Mordin, my dear friend, one of my favorite character in ME2, in the back... I felt genuine bitterness in doing so, and I keep wondering if I could have done otherwise...

(but the female krogan had just died, because of one of my decision in ME2, and she was the only one I trusted to contain the expantionist krogans... doing so saved a few more hundred years of galactic peace, even if it meant betraying my word, and the friendship of Wrex, who still believed I helped him... or so I tell myself at night, watching the stars, when I think about my old friend Mordin)
Old 20-03-2012, 08:07:04   #26
Fistandantilus

You filthy krogan hugger
Old 22-03-2012, 10:20:33   #27
maroule

precisely not! I condemned them to stay with their xenophage (or whatever the fertility block is called)

surprisingly, there in no gay option between Shepard and a krogan...
Old 22-03-2012, 10:44:36   #28
MDA

last night, I somehow managed to shoot the gold canopy out of a mech and expose the pilot, kill the pilot, and run over and climb into the mech

I had no idea that was actually possible, despite having hopped into one I had found already damaged with no pilot at all.

Now I'm wondering if that's possible in multiplayer. I'm thinking not.
Old 22-03-2012, 11:03:06   #29
Fistandantilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroule View Post
precisely not! I condemned them to stay with their xenophage (or whatever the fertility block is called)

surprisingly, there in no gay option between Shepard and a krogan...
Oh, I misunderstood then
Old 22-03-2012, 12:12:15   #30
MDA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17458208

boom, new endings in development... maybe!
Old 22-03-2012, 15:02:14   #31
Fistandantilus

Wow is it that bad? Makes me want to buy the game just to see how sucky the ending is.
Old 22-03-2012, 15:33:59   #32
MDA

Some people got pretty mad, it just fell flat with me. I'm a jaded old gamer.
Old 23-03-2012, 09:05:40   #33
maroule

I havn't played the end yet so I won't comment on how sucky it is, but it's a bit sad they had to redo it to pander to disapointed gamers... it's like redoing Seven because you're horrified Gyneth's head is in the box (bad example, I don't think many people cared Gyneth was in the box, I certainly didn't)
Old 27-03-2012, 19:09:12   #34
Fistandantilus

I eventually caved in and got it, low expectations should make this good I hope.
Old 28-03-2012, 08:37:30   #35
maroule

no, it's definitly good (still haven't played the end, but the journey to it is very enjoyable, so I'll take a 30 hours tour of having fun even if it means the final 10 minutes will be meuh- most of Hollywood blockbusters I have seen in the last ten years have been; the first hour is decent, the last half hour is shite, so there the ratio is much better)
Old 29-03-2012, 11:52:18   #36
MDA

actually have been playing coop for kicks, pretty fun, 15-20 minutes a match

a little teamwork required on certain waves of enemies on bronze diffuculty, silver is more consistently demanding, and I imagine gold is a nightmare without upgraded weapons and class/race unlocks.
Old 09-04-2012, 17:59:29   #37
MDA

ME3: Resurgence Pack released tomorrow. Free DLC multiplayer content.

They've gone back a bit on the possible new ending for single players and will be offering a more well-rounded "Extended Cut" (free) that's supposed to flesh out what happens to the rest of the crew/galaxy.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54:29   #38
maroule

SPOILERS

just finished it yesterday
don't agree with the critics, it's coherent and a fitting finale
of course you feel a bit bitter and melancholic, but that's the mark of a great work (felt the same when I finished reading the lord of the rings, it's really bugging to leave a universe and characters you've come to know so well).

really, appart from wishing there was more of it to play, I find nothing to criticize, this triptic has been a hell of a ride...
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57:12   #39
Fistandantilus

I disagree, but to each his own
Old 17-04-2012, 10:00:42   #40
Fistandantilus