Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > CounterPoint

Old 06-09-2011, 16:46:10   #1
MDA

Location: updated his email address and can look but not post
Left forever, London

28ish hours, napped an hour or two on the plane

We arrived at boarding area and had delicious subs about an hour and a half before boarding. Entire hour and a half, Jamacian mon argues loudly with Timothy on phone about business (possibly music business) deal, and tells him other deal guy is a bad person. Timothy should have hung up after five minutes, because listening to the same message over and over again is insanity and hurts everyone's brain in the boarding area. We are all stupider than before we came.

plane had two children, reasonably well behaved, bit of crying during pressure changes, but that's just because it hurts them

about eight people that decided to play musical seats just before takeoff, but included some seats no one had a boarding pass for, requiring intervention from the crew to sort out before takeoff, but now we're ready...

a call for two Islamic names at the last minute, asking them to ring the for assistance if they had boarded the plane (worst case, their luggage had been loaded and they had gone away, which would have required unloading their luggage and possibly disembarking the plane), but the man and his young son showed up, man bellowing at crew, he wants to sit with his son, son crying loudly; crew explaining that if he wanted a favor, waiting until last call for boarding to show up and ask was not the best way to get it; sit down, or he will be removed... Stewardess gets passenger to trade window seat next to father to little boy, father calls the stewardess a son of a bitch and proceeds to tell her that he's being mistreated (read: being denied special treatment, which he was in the process of getting) because of his name (more insistence man sit down quietly or be removed), then man sits, shuts up, and does a complete Dr. Jekyll, performing heroic patient father talking with boy and stops the crying (they sit right behind me).

Moderate turbulence most of trip, "remain seated and belted" light on most of trip, many people (including small child who wants to stand on seat) ignore light, warnings from crew, broadcast warnings from crew, broadcast warnings from pilot, but no one is ever in any trouble. Very strange.

London Tubes are awesomely easy. Oystercards are like DC metro cards, but better, because there are more lines to ride, and all the lifts (haha, lifts) and escalators seem to work. When the drivers tell us something over the loudspeakers, it doesn't come out as a crackling hiss, but as actual words.

Westminster Abbey somewhat interesting, much too crowded to be really interesting. Suspect I walked on some interesting people and never realized they were there. Someone should let the Kansas Board of Education know that Charles Darwin is buried in a church. They should youtube this revelation so we can all watch their tiny heads pop. Special man took pictures inside the Abbey despite signs saying no everywhere, and nice man at door saying no. I have tinnitus and jet lag and can hear it clicking as he pretends to hold it to his chest. Tempted to suggest he is wasting battery walking around with camera on when he can take no pictures, but then he would know he is not the only ass in the abbey, just the biggest one. Best to keep that a secret.

Mary Queen of Scots is buried near Elizabeth that killed her for trying to kill her. I wonder what they talk about?

Buckingham Palace has a princess' wedding dress in it. It is very small and I don't think a real person could fit in it. Suspect it is a scale model. Also a somewhat interesting place, but I was much too tired at that time for it to be really interesting. I took some pictures of the little red men in funny hats outside.

I had a New York Hot Dog (yay, hotdogday for me) and an Americano Coffee for lunch outside the tube station. I needed comfort food. Sue me. I will try to eat fish and chips with a pint of stout every day to make up for it. Make that two pints.

Something is wrong with the grass here. Real grass should be crispy and brown, and smell like weak tea. Theirs is green and soft, like spoiled undercooked bacon.

My camera is a bigger than the Japanese man's I saw at the palace.
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 16:56:17   #2
Lurker
CG Economist & Canadian of the Year

Good report. Be thankful you didn't arrive on nonhotdogday.
Old 06-09-2011, 19:46:38   #3
Provost Harrison
Registered (alcohol ab)User

I do apologise for our lush vegetation. We somehow cope with it
Provost Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 21:09:00   #4
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

It's a useful side-effect for all the rain we get!

Sorry I can't make it down to Llundain for a meet up, too busy before heading out to Romania this weekend...

Enjoy!
Old 06-09-2011, 21:22:11   #5
Beta1
[works only in german, sorry]

reminds me why I moved out!

Sorry I can't make it down - work getting in the way.

If you want to see another side of london get on the train/tube to richmond, hit the thames footpath and walk down to kingston. Then come back through richmond park and see the views across to the city and wembley stadium (in different directions obviously). Richmond park is one of my favourite places in london - Kew gardens is also very nice. The grass there will be even greener.
Old 06-09-2011, 22:17:20   #6
zmama
Counterglow CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provost Harrison View Post
I do apologise for our lush vegetation. We somehow cope with it

Is good you have learned to cope with lushes

The cats nestle close to their kittens now.
The lambs have laid down with the sheep.
You're cozy and warm in your bed, my dear
Please go the fuck to sleep.
zmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:33:06   #7
Funko
Pubs Minister

Great post.

The underground is awesome.

I've never been to Westminster Abbey or Buckingham Palace.
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 18:11:58   #8
MDA

We took the Thames path from Westminster down across the Tower Bridge and eventually back to the Tower of London. Mrs. MDA wondered why the Barclay's building I called a gherkin looked brown. She also taught me that many old buildings in London are wren's nests or something (that's an architect joke). Then we went and watched the change of the horse guards. The horses looked as bored as the guards. Never volunteer for guard duty.

Then we had fish and chips and stout, and my feet and head stopped hurting. Guinness for health!

Next was the Cabinet War Rooms and Churchill Museum. Mrs. MDA said she was surprised at how interesting it was. I am not always dumb.

Fun games to play on Whitehall:
Count the submachine guns.
Wave at the CCTV camera.

There's another game that they seem to like playing at every crosswalk. People on opposite sides of the street line up facing each other, standing shoulder to shoulder with their teamates. When the signal to walk lights up, everyone rushes the other side in a giant game of red rover. The trick is to roll your hips and torso ninety degrees to avoid knocking someone over on the other team, like Han Solo flying the Millenium Falcon out of the giant asteroid worm's teeth. Alternatively, you can slow down and slip in behind a teammate as they pass through, but you score fewer points this way.

Then we grabbed sandwiches in a mall at a Garfunkel's and chocolate and soda from a Waitrose. In London, they grew their city before building the indoor shopping mall, instead of the other way around, so the mall is very small. This is a little unfortunate in a place that rains so much. Today was windy, but only one brief shower in the late afternoon.
Old 07-09-2011, 18:50:10   #9
MDA

St. Paul's

So bored he ate his tack.

Looked like a bee's bottom. Suspected art museum or gallery.

Turned three citizens into artists. Everyone was pleased.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Wren (even famouser than Christopher Robin)
Old 07-09-2011, 19:13:38   #10
Beta1
[works only in german, sorry]

bees bottom = london assembly.

Its where Boris "whiff whaff" Johnson lives

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uix9kXIMVRM
Old 07-09-2011, 22:30:38   #11
Cort Haus
Marklar

Go to the British Museum. Some more Wonders in there - Parthenon, Mausoleum of Halicarnassus. Lincoln's Inn and the Inns at Temple are not too far from here and worth a quick wander round.

Check out Camden Town for Canal, Locks and Market. Zoo at Regent's Park is nearby.
Cort Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 15:04:04   #12
zmama
Counterglow CEO

How many servings of fish and chips so far?

Old 08-09-2011, 18:21:18   #13
Lazarus and the Gimp
Howling at the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA View Post
Buckingham Palace has a princess' wedding dress in it. It is very small and I don't think a real person could fit in it. Suspect it is a scale model.
Probably one of Victoria's kids. She was less than 5 feet tall herself.
Lazarus and the Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 20:13:56   #14
MDA

I guess Kate is either Princess William or Duchess... a little confusing, but it was her dress. I'm sure there were smaller, looking at the doors on older buildings suggests everyone was smaller.

Fish and chips twice, once in a pub somewhere off Whitehall, again at Funko and Tizzy's pub (it should totally be theirs).

Today was Greenwich, the Royal Observatory and the Maritime Museum (largest maritime museum in the WORLD, it was in a really big building). I got a refresher course on latitude and learned a couple of ways to calculate longitude at the observatory. We also stood on the GMT meridian.
Old 08-09-2011, 23:27:42   #15
zmama
Counterglow CEO

When you go home bring a bucket and a mop

http://www.npr.org/2011/09/08/140318...heast-flooding

Old 09-09-2011, 05:54:29   #16
MDA

looks like the grass might be green again soon!
Old 10-09-2011, 20:24:41   #17
MDA

Dover castle yesterday. Fantastic sunny weather, then the clouds rolled in late afternoon... around our feet.

Houses of Parliament this morning, then visit to friends of the Mrs. in Surrey. Walked with their 2 yr old around Box Hill. Roast chicken and potatoes for dinner, with local wine. Was also introduced to Upsie Daisy on TV. She has a skirt that inflates into a dance tutu. My brain still hurts.
Old 12-09-2011, 15:21:57   #18
MDA

Yesterday, Hampton Court Castle. Very fun, lots of King and Queen stories, including everyone's favorite, Henry VIII. Awesome garden. Surprisingly interesting kitchens, I blame the historical food scientists for this. First snag on trains/tubes occured this day. Line maintenance forced us to bus across a train stop. Hard to figure out where to go, signs cryptic, and transport people were somewhat hard to find. This is the day I learned that not all big red buses are tourist buses. In fact, most of them aren't. This makes much more sense now.

Tower of London (actually inside this time) and St. Paul's (which was closed for a memorial service). The Tower of London is a busy place, lots of heads to chop and probably dingding kicking. Henry the VIII's armor is here, and it suggests that the injury he suffered to his leg in a tournament might have been to his "leg". He was certainly careful to protect future kings.

A raven popped out of the bushes and sat on the rail next to my bench. If they ever leave the Tower of London, the empire shall fall. So they cheat, and clip their wings and even keep some in cages. Smart! I'm surprised that Rome never thought to poison them. Much easier than manually targeting a 2m exhaust port.

Today we learned someone had given us an out of circulation five pound note as change (it's fun to trick stupid tourists, I think). One of the shops we tried to use it in said sorry, no. Two banks would not exchange it as well, the second told us to take it to the Bank of England. The third bank we passed by exchanged it with a smile, and it was not a Bank of England. I was not sure it was worth spotting banks all day as we traveled, but Mrs. MDA is happy, so now I think it is.

Last edited by MDA; 12-09-2011 at 15:27:22.
Old 13-09-2011, 18:06:05   #19
MDA

Stonehenge. OK, 45 minutes there was plenty. Bath, awesome, could spend a few days just relaxing there easily. We had about three hours, which is enough to see the baths, eat lunch, and walk around town. Quietest day of trip, probably because we booked a tour and all we had to do was follow Tony the Irishman around and listen. Met a couple from Charleston, West Virginia. Funny.

Fish and chips count is 4 meals this week. I could do better. Next time.

Best was was thread ever?
Old 13-09-2011, 18:25:39   #20
jsorense
Kinked Rockist

London, been there, done that: Nice museums, scary backwards traffic, need a Sherpa to climb out of some of the tube stations, nice boat ride on the Thames, too many British, no one spoke proper English, blah, blah, blahbiddy-blah.
Yeah, rock and roll still lives on. "
jsorense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 11:16:28   #21
Cort Haus
Marklar

For some reason this thread keeps being marked as unread, as if it has a new post, but always #20 is the last post, with it's mix of glibness and whineyness.

Not any more.
Cort Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 23:25:17   #22
Poison Arrow Frog
I'll get you high.

I just realized I haven't been back to the UK in like 10 years. I'm sure you're all thankful.
Old 16-09-2011, 13:51:22   #23
Funko
Pubs Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA View Post
Fish and chips twice, once in a pub somewhere off Whitehall, again at Funko and Tizzy's pub (it should totally be theirs).
Nah, visiting is much easier, running a pub is hard work.
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glibness, whineyness