Counterglow Forums  

Go Back   Counterglow Forums > General Discussions > Games

Old 22-10-2010, 15:37:48   #101
King_Ghidra
pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistandantilus View Post
I like Norse a lot too, block all around is very nice and you have access to ST4 players, yeee. I'm not a big fan of frenzy tho.
I really like the lrb5/6 norse. those str4 players make a huge difference, and the snow troll is nasty too. frenzy is brilliant when used right (surfing), but yeah it can get you into trouble too.

i suppose the only question mark is how much longevity is there in a team that expects to be in blocking range all match with only av7. my gut feeling is that in a standup fight with an orc or dwarf team, the norse get a nasty beating
King_Ghidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 16:10:54   #102
Funko
Pubs Minister

And they are a good at Low TV, struggling at higher TV team I think.

High Elves or Pro Elves looking favourite for me at the moment. But Norse would be fun...

High Elves look to be the Human team I've always wanted...
Funko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 16:16:50   #103
Funko
Pubs Minister

I might go with DE again but sort of fancy a change.
Old 22-10-2010, 16:51:01   #104
Fistandantilus

The two games I played yesterday were with Pro Elves, as I fell in love with their catcher and wanted to try it. Nerves of steel + catch is awesome, you just throw a ball in his general direction and he's going to catch it. Plus it even has 3 ST so you can turn him into a ball extractor with wrestle/dodge later, a thing that with my beloved gutter runner is much more difficult (I usually have to get horn or dauntless for that purpose).

Blitzers with side step built in are also very nice.

The problem is that AV7 on the whole team. In the second game i played yesterday I lost a couple of linemen against Nurgle early on and it went into a giant snowball effect where you're outnumbered so get surrounded and lose more and more players as the game goes on. I eventually cancelled the team as I had only 5 players left on my roster after that game.
Fistandantilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 16:52:04   #105
King_Ghidra

i'm playing high elves in a fumbbl league atm, i like them. they are very similar in many ways - ag4 av8 is nice ofc. but the str 3 ma8 catchers are really nice. i think between de and he you trade some hitting power for the potential to move the ball across the pitch very quickly.

pro elves...i don't know. nerves of steel on the catchers is nice in certain situations in theory, as is side step on the blitzers, but i think if you looked at those skills and said 'at what point would i take these on a similar player from another elf race as a skillup' the answer might be 'if no better option, or never'
Old 22-10-2010, 16:52:22   #106
Fistandantilus

That said I had lot of fun with them, one of the best scoring team ever. And I like scoring
Old 22-10-2010, 17:02:58   #107
King_Ghidra

fist i think as you know well from your skaven, the av7 snowball can define the whole match if you get cas against you early. i've certainly lost count of the prayers i've offered in those first few turns.

fun thing i did versus khemri, put my three journeyman skinks on the LoS versus three mummies. the mummies got 3d blocks, but without block or tackle versus the skinks' dodge, and as they didn't get any pows, they could only push them around. meanwhile my sauri were able to run wild against the rest of his players. that was pretty much what drove him to quit. how i laughed.
Old 22-10-2010, 18:02:19   #108
Fistandantilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Ghidra View Post
fist i think as you know well from your skaven, the av7 snowball can define the whole match if you get cas against you early. i've certainly lost count of the prayers i've offered in those first few turns.
Yeah, I know. The bigger problem is it can define the rest of your tourny/league too..

Just saying pro elves are a lot of fun, but I agree high elves are probably better and more balanced for league play thanks to their higher survivability.

Fun story about the Khemri player they love their tomb guardians sooo much but when they fail to dish out punishment they are in big trouble. Very one dimensional race imo.
Old 22-10-2010, 20:47:17   #109
King_Ghidra

yeah agreed, and they were even worse in lrb4 where you had 4 proper mummies with mighty blow and regen. i know lots of people flat out refuse to play them on fumbbl, as not only can they be team destroyers, but winning or losing against them is purely dictated by armour and injury rolls and barely by skill

btw on the av7 front, amazons are an interesting look. sacrifice the ag and mobility of elves, but gain unprecedented survivability via universal dodge and the ability to so easily develop blodgers. even well developed teams struggle to get enough tackle to negate that advantage. i think they are really competitive, and arguably the non-inclusion of chaos dwarves makes them relatively more so in cyanide's game. imagine the skink story above but applied to every single one of your players and versus almost any bashing team other than dwarves. pure frustration for the opponent. the blitzers can pick up guard on normals too!
Old 25-10-2010, 07:49:58   #110
Funko
Pubs Minister

I took side step 2nd on one of my dark elf blitzers. It's a fantastic skill to put on potential cage breakers. A blodger with side step is a pain in the arse. I'm sure it'd be very useful at low TV as well.

It's nice to have some options for agility teams. Will be interesting to see what kind of bashy/agile mix we get with a much bigger choice.
Old 25-10-2010, 14:43:57   #111
Fistandantilus

Side step is the second best agility skill (after dodge) imho. Never get pushed into another TZ (for extra blocks) or into the crowd again, de facto negating frenzy, messing up with opponent crowd surfing, effectively marking receivers/ball carriers and so on.

Got totally outplayed against vampires during the week-end to end a streak of 4 wins in a row with my amazons. In the hands of a competent player they are scary.
Old 25-10-2010, 14:50:45   #112
King_Ghidra

i think there are still some bugs with bloodlust at the moment, but not sure if they favour or hinder the vamps

my lizards are 5w 3d 1l at the moment i think. they hover between just outside the top 10 and elsewhere in the top 50. at one point i had the top cas causer in the auld league and one of the top stars.

sadly at the moment, matches where you fail to connect are coming up as dc's which means the more i play the more it happens and the worse my reliability is looking, and it's putting me off a bit

story mode in single player is quite fun, BB is perfectly suited to challenge scenarios, and given how shit the ai is, its about as challenging as SP will get
Old 25-10-2010, 16:20:43   #113
Funko
Pubs Minister

Just looking at some of the LRB6 changes. The upgrade to safe throw and diving catch are interesting.
Old 25-10-2010, 19:51:09   #114
Fistandantilus

The best LRB6 changes are the gobbos ones, bribes for 50k apiece yeeeee
Old 29-10-2010, 11:28:47   #115
Funko
Pubs Minister

Just been posted. I won't get it until Monday I guess.
Old 31-10-2010, 11:12:12   #116
King_Ghidra

I've just finished my 10th game with my dwarves in the Naggaroth League and they've got the same record my lizzies do - 5w 3d 2l

In Naggaroth the team variety has been a bit better surprisingly, despite the fact it is a blind MM-only league. I've played amazons, dwarves, elves, khemri, necro x2, norse, nurgle, undead, vampires

Generally good fun, some skilled opponents, and some nice people to chat with too. The amazon player was really good - despite the bad skill matchup versus dwarves they made a real fist of it and used their guard players extremely well. i sneaked a 2-1 to save face thankfully.

My runner should be 2nd in the hall of fame for yds rushed but i think it only culls players from the top 100 ranked teams and the Frostbeards are a little way off that at 184th.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:33:39   #117
MDA

Location: updated his email address and can look but not post
This just popped up in my steam advertisements for 40 bucks US, and in an email from Cyanide or something. I'll probably pick it up soon, the new teams look interesting.
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 00:53:20   #118
King_Ghidra

Just had probably the most amazing finish to a match i've ever managed. me as wood elves vs opponent as high elves and he levels the match at 1-1 leaving me only the last turn of the match. I have a vague idea of how to do a one-turner so i set-up to give myself some kind of a chance for one of my wardancers to make the score, but i have no rerolls left so little optimism.

The kick falls nicely and then even better i get quick snap! and push my players into better positions. opponent starts chatting, and stupidly i respond, forgetting we are on 2 minute turns. the clock is ticking fast and i hurriedly start making blocks. 2nd block, my treeman gets a pow and causes a cas (earning his 6th spp in the process) and i get my first push on my wardancer.

the last block is a real logic problem and i lose more time thinking about it. then i make my mind up and move, having to dodge into a tz and then blitz. i make the dodge and then get the final push i need on the block.

now all i need is a pickup by one wardancer, a cross-field throw to the other one, catch, and two gfi's to the endzone. then i see there is only 10 seconds on the clock. shit!!!!

I click like a nutter, make the pickup, move a couple of squares closer, get a 4+ pass off with two seconds left - then the game pauses as he selects a player to intercept and i quickly pre-select the wardancer. the pass is made, the catch is made, i click on the endzone in frenzy seeing 1 second on the clock, the wd sets off and...

SCORE!!!!!

FUCKING YES

best finish ever - in fact the first one turner i've ever managed. wood elves are insane. this was my first game with them online after about 14 games with my dwarves and it was a nice reminder why they are fun. even better, the scoring dancer got mvp, meaning both dancers and the tree all levelled up after the game
Old 02-11-2010, 11:09:50   #119
Funko
Pubs Minister

My copy is here. WOO!
Old 02-11-2010, 15:22:33   #120
King_Ghidra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistandantilus View Post
The best LRB6 changes are the gobbos ones, bribes for 50k apiece yeeeee

Just played a game online with goblins, my first with them on new rules. Definitely agree they have had some upgrades. The pogoer not being a secret weapon any more is definitely one of them, that is really great.

2-1 defeat to Dark Elves after taking a 1-0 lead, but full of Goblin hilarity:

- Chainsaw had only one turn on the pitch but BH a witch elf
- Bombardier got double skulls and blew himself into the BH box on his first turn.
- Troll got double skulls and ate a goblin during a throw team mate attempt

There was a series of play in which the chat box contained only "lol" six times in a row from my opponent and I. it was exactly what i was hoping for!
Old 02-11-2010, 16:01:30   #121
Funko
Pubs Minister

2-1 defeat with unskilled Gobboes vs Dark Elves is a great result IMO.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:12:52   #122
King_Ghidra

i was pleased, but i think gobbos have their best chance at low tv's versus other unskilled teams. The secret weapons are probably balanced to be effective even against somewhat more impressive teams, so they can wreak havoc at low levels. Chainsaw is just insane.

I managed a 1-1 draw vs wood elves later.

Changing tack, I've not had any problems with dropped connections during matches, (aside from people who have obviously used it as a method of quitting), but connecting to start the match seems a real lottery still. Can take ages to actually get a match working, even though the MM normally finds opponents very quickly. More often than not it ends in a failed connection.
Old 03-11-2010, 14:05:14   #123
Fistandantilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Ghidra View Post
i was pleased, but i think gobbos have their best chance at low tv's versus other unskilled teams. The secret weapons are probably balanced to be effective even against somewhat more impressive teams, so they can wreak havoc at low levels. Chainsaw is just insane.
It's really a hit and miss team imho.
I mean a unit like the bombardier (altho ineffective against agile teams as they more often than not just catch the bomb and throw it back at you..) is the ultimate cage breaker.
Sometimes really dominates and wins the game alone, sometimes fumbles and dies soooo quickly.
Unreliable team but can win (or lose) against anyone.

Haven't had time to play much last week as work ate up my free time, still have to play a mm game post patch. Didn't have that many net issues so far tho.
Old 10-11-2010, 16:32:44   #124
Funko
Pubs Minister

I went to install this yesterday and the computer wouldn't start.
Old 10-11-2010, 16:42:40   #125
Fistandantilus

The whole pc? Or just the game?
Old 10-11-2010, 16:53:44   #126
Funko
Pubs Minister

The whole machine. I never managed to get as far as installing it.
Old 10-11-2010, 18:03:46   #127
Beta1
[works only in german, sorry]

oh dear, still a dead PC is a good excuse for an upgrade!
Old 11-11-2010, 08:56:06   #128
Funko
Pubs Minister

See technical forum.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:57:19   #129
Funko
Pubs Minister

Ah, you already did.
Old 19-12-2010, 12:21:38   #130
Funko
Pubs Minister

Right, found time to take my computer apart, wiggle the bits around, and it's back up and running again. Just installed the game.
Old 19-12-2010, 13:32:34   #131
Fistandantilus

About time
Old 20-12-2010, 08:50:52   #132
Funko
Pubs Minister

Played one game as Elves vs Mummies. Finished 2-2 due to the computer's ineptness, he should have murdered me. Levelled up a catcher on a double and he got block.

I like Elves though, think I might go for them.
Old 17-01-2011, 14:18:41   #133
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

So, we doing another league or what?
Old 17-01-2011, 16:02:37   #134
Funko
Pubs Minister

Yes
Old 08-02-2011, 15:10:46   #135
MOBIUS
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Next century?
Old 08-02-2011, 15:17:12   #136
Funko
Pubs Minister

My computer is still at my parents, a new one will be ordered soon...

I'm up for it, and well up for starting to organise, but it's going to be next month before I can play.
Old 13-02-2011, 17:36:43   #137
Funko
Pubs Minister

Just installing this on my new machine!
Old 13-02-2011, 17:47:28   #138
Funko
Pubs Minister

OMG it actually loads in seconds.
Old 14-02-2011, 14:09:30   #139
maroule
Intermittent du spectacle

I'm considering a return to the game (not the league though, don't have time)

has the AI been modified/improved with the new versions?
It was frustrating to me; too easy against the AI, too tough against humans who played regularly
maroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 13:30:12   #140
Fistandantilus

Improved but still no match for humans imo.
Old 17-02-2011, 08:59:14   #141
Funko
Pubs Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroule View Post
too tough against humans who played regularly
That's why the CG league is good, a lot of us don't play regularly.
Old 17-02-2011, 08:59:43   #142
Funko
Pubs Minister

Those criticisms also stand for almost all strategy games.
Old 18-02-2011, 15:43:49   #143
King_Ghidra

Yeah but the BB AI is awful.

I've been playing in the Orca-Cola League lately, just finished my first season, their 7th. Played as Lizards and went W3-D3-L3. It's a really nice league with something like 300 coaches total and lots of chat, lore, stats and stuff.

Season 8 is just about to start, so the next one will be in three months' time, applications are always ongoing i think.

http://www.orca-cola.com/forum/

http://www.orca-cola.com/gzt/ - The gazette, a 'magazine' for the league.
Old 28-03-2011, 11:59:34   #144
Fistandantilus

Friend of mines just picked this up at bargain price.
Maybe I could ask him join the league, I'm assuming we're just awaiting for Funko's son to sign up so there is still a bit of time left.
Old 28-03-2011, 12:08:52   #145
Funko
Pubs Minister

If someone other than me drives this, it might happen.

I can play but organising will be a struggle. And yes, ask your friend. As long as he's shit.
Old 09-04-2011, 00:37:45   #146
MDA

Location: updated his email address and can look but not post
just noticed the Legendary edition is up for 9.99 US this weekend, on Steam
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blood bowl, cgbbl