View Single Post
Old 25-08-2009, 15:39:24   #12
Scabrous Birdseed
for your usergroup and post count

For fun and the challenge I've decided to be totally over-the-top pretentious with these.

Take It on the Run - REO Speedwagon

The fashionista re-queering of "disco demolition night"-style ultra-mainstream rock (post-Sopranos) stands as a beautiful testament to the political power of the postmodern. It's a wonder no-one realised how gay this was in the first place, and I mean that in the most positive way possible.

Swiss Glide - Michna

In abject contrast, here is the most baroque end of a post-structural breakdown. I'm certain Derrida would happily find a particularly cruel differance between economy and detail-lavishness, but being so deeply entrenched in the modernist discourse I can't help but thinking this is a bit shit.

Heavyweight - Infected Mushroom

As we punch out our metriculous column inches about how Autotune has finally kicked the teeth out of pop's persistent auras, let us remember that the original gynoid is, and remains, Cher.

Just A Sound In The Night - Rational Youth

Mine. The, frankly, Canadian incongruity between the complete 80s stereotype and the inability to run with new sounds makes this great. Plus that they ran with Gonaud/Bach instead.

Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks - Los Campesinos!

Gustave Mahler is credited with reintroducing the polyphonic texture into the musical mainsteam; perhaps Los Campesinos! should be credited with spinning the idea even futher. Here indeed the conventional rock instruments weave and swirl around each other, but that's not all – the band has also managed to include a dazzling narrative layer of mockney wank shitsandwich.

Foux du Fafa - Flight of the Conchords

A paradox of humour: each additional joke brings this yet futher from its perfect rhizomic ur-type, zombo.com.

Easy to Smile - Sensless Things (via YouTube as it's not in my playlist)

No-one disputes that the apparent naivité of the sixties was a cynical Kasenetz-Katz production in the first place. Yet generations of Quixotes have clung onto it, a hackneyed stereotype of ingénue. I can't but applaud them for it.

A&E - Goldfrapp

Hermeneutic philosopher Hans-Georg Gadamer tells us prejudices are a necessary part of human knowledge as we always interpret through prior knowledge, melding two planes of understanding in the incongruities. But how does that theory account for the minty surge of a complete surprise? My plane of Goldfrapp understanding is obviously wingless, and I become the child again.

God Says No - Monster Magnet

One of the ironic beauties of rock is how extreme production artifice can be interpreted as authenticity. And that, my lo-fi friends, goes both ways.

Velvet - The Big Pink

I think it was Paul Gilroy who posited the idea of cyclical time as the basis of repetive music. Perhaps Velvet are a vestige or an advance troup, but I can definitely appreciate the linearity and near-Reichian shiftiness of this repetetive experience.

Nothing Ever Happened - Deerhunter

Honestly, what is more, er, tantric? The Big Pink's phase, or Deerhunter's continually threatened phase that never materialises? There's something palm-sweaty about all this neatly dissipating tension.

Wolf Like Me - TV on the Radio

There's a hint of crisp, white sand and studied breezes in Tunde's vocals. It makes the whole thing deeply unsatisfying, like a wolf on a boat cruise.

Drumming Song - Florence + the Machine

In their mechanical wisdom, Spotify's electronic synapses only let me electro-taste sixteen seconds of Florence, letting my squishy, organic memory banks fill in the rest. The meat says it's shit, but I can't help but like the machine's life imitating machine.

Abandon - That Petrol Emotion

Hello, dear piggie! Don't forget to scream at those shrimp.

The Letter - Kristen Hersh

On apolitical states beyond the humane, the right madness can be made entertaining. Is exposing that helpful or deeply cruel?

Oh Bondage, Up Yours! - X-Ray Spex

The saxophone is possibly the least sado-masochistic instrument in our current socially constructed reality. Brilliant!

Cycles Per Second - The dB's

Mine. Stamey always was the one trying to force Chilton and Bell clinical, and here he's managed to machine a mathematical formula out of cod-calypso.

Capt. Bo Dignifies the Allegations With a Response - Oneida

No-one actually needs music or its elements. Food, I guess. Air. Shelter. Stuff like that.

Motorbreath - D.O.A.

Face it, Metallica bleats for being scrubbed red-raw a lot more than Sinatra.

Main Teri Hoon Janam - Sadhna Sargam

Mine. Look at the juxtapositions: Empire vs Sublaterns, a hot idea of the exotic warped by the freezing cold. There are fires and chariots in India too, you know.

The Shape of Things to Come - Ramones

How tiresome to pile another meta-layer of fake-real onto the real-fake-real-whatever.

Last edited by Scabrous Birdseed; 25-08-2009 at 15:43:20.
Scabrous Birdseed is offline   Reply With Quote