Thread: The Witcher
View Single Post
Old 22-06-2008, 10:34:59   #9
LoD
The Human Banning Rod.

Quote:
Originally posted by MDA
not overly correct, nor overly polite
Oh, good. I asked because I once read a translated short story - alluding to the saying about translation and women, it was neither beautiful, nor faithful.

Quote:
There are lots of places where things aren't translated well. From what I've read, the US English version of the game not only had to be translated, but some genius decided to parse out about half of the translated dialog from the orginal version. Some of it is unintentionally funny, and other times its just irritating because it breaks up the immersion, but at no point yet have I been "lost". They did a poor job of things in that respect. The journal entries that follow the important conversations do partially compensate and keep me on track but I get the feeling I'm missing out on a lot of flavor.
So they've cut out huge swathes of text? For what, to keep the M rating or something like that? That's criminal.

The other day I've read that there will be an "Extended Edition" released this September, available as a free download to those that purchased the game beforehand. It promises some improvements, such as a vastly extended range of facial expressions and body language in NPCs, some new adventures, and "improvements to foreign language versions".