View Single Post
Old 17-01-2008, 11:00:13   #2
Scabrous Birdseed
for your usergroup and post count

I can really appreciate the Offends' brand of "hard, sharp synths, hard, rockey real instruments" type of music. It's a really nice-sounding approach to rock that was briefly flirted with during the late seventies with a bunch of synth-punk bands, but then it basically dissapeared for the thirty-ish years and has only reappeared quite recently.

In the eighties rock bands would hide the keyboards deep in the mix and synth bands the guitars, or alternatively various industrial/EBM type bands would make it all into a mid-level muddle that didn't play on the strengths of the instruments. Then in the nineties simple bleepy synths became unfashionable in guitar music and the "lo-fi" type approach/sampling techniques shaved the edge off the music.

As late as five or six years ago, when the stripped-down sounds recieved a media comeback, the distinction was still extremely clearly drawn (not least culturally) between the garagey-type sound and the electroclashey one. Even Dance-punk bands like Radio 4 were mostly regular guitar bands. But now in the past couple of years we've seen a huge softening of the limit from all directions, with plenty of "electro-rock" and "rock-electro" bands coming through. Which is fucking awesome, I think, as I love both pure electro and pure garagey rock and I think keeping up any sort of "synth is not rock" distinction is just silly.

(My blog post on the subject and similar concurrent developments.)

I'm curious if anyone has any theories why this is all happening now?