View Single Post
Old 03-12-2001, 05:47:29   #1
No longer Trippin
Happy

Okay, now I've seen it on a fast machine - p4 1 ghz, 384megs ram, geforce 3. It looks beautiful, but wolfenstien looked better still. Lithtech is still behind graphics wise in all categories. While AvP made more of an impression graphically, it wasn't cause the graphics were better, it was the setting. I don't see why the requirements are so high for an engine which basically has to render black over 75% of the screen. My friend's machine still had the occassional blip of load time during a mission itself, which is inexcusable for a machine with his settings. Now onto mine.

On my machine (on med detail), after a gaming session, it can take upwards of 5 to 7 minutes to clear out the disk cache. Quick save is quick, but quick load is just as slow as regular load. Also during missions, you can guess, not just by the music, but there is either a very brief, to a very noticable load time when enemies are placed into action (1/4 to 10 seconds). This also happens at inconvient times like when a different weapon is used that hasn't been used before (the last boss for the predator mission killed me on the pause alone).

The game itself is fairly fucking hard as I'm having a save reload fest on normal, but it's generally the first half of each species set of missions, until you know exactly how to play them and how much they can dish and take. As a marine you will ALWAYS be fucking alone. As an alien or predator you'll kill them in packs, but when your the guy, you get to prance around playing the lone ranger. Same goes with the alien. Rarely do you encounter multiple predators, and if you do, they take turns on you. Meaning you kill one, the other then chooses to pounce on you.

The marine missions require the most patience, as you have to creep around, as running will get you killed. Nothing is more "fun" than the game throwing three to five aliens at you at once and you get stuck in the middle of them, only to turn the next corner and see two or three more (on the first mission this happens... the marine gets assfucked in this game). If you have patience, they are great, as they do keep you on the edge of your seat. Having that bloody many aliens out there will do that to you, and then there are the predators. . .

The Predator missions are almost like the marine missions, except you can stroll around at will long as you have the ability to cloak and your around marines. If your a cautious player, with the way the health and power for it are set up, you can nearly never die. Running backwards with the autotargetting (you can't chose otherwise unless you pick a filter which makes it hard to impossible to see the aliens). plasmacaster works wonders on alien drones. The few humans that can see you though, can hurt you quickly as they are in packs. You have to watch out more for sentry guns than anything (makes you switch lense filters an awfully lot). One filter autotargets for humans, one for aliens, one shows terrain and weapons, and one shows the screen as is (which is the most rarely used one). Oh boy, pitch black. YAY! Your not as tough as in the first one, but being able to recharge your energy and health to full in 10 seconds max at will more than make up for that.

The Alien... the first three lifeform changes, each is dramatic... the facehugger you have to scurry around out of sight, but can pounce. The chestburster... you have to stay int he dark, can't pounce and eat rodents and shit, and the drone, you go around pouncing and biting everything. It doesn't notify you that you increase to the next phase after that one, but you sorta know by the types of enemies you take on. For those who've heard of the predalien mutant, well you don't get to play him. You only get to fight it as the marine, and he isn't fun (can leap a damned mile). The alien is probably played the fastest for more of it's levels than any other species. Your always pouncing on something, very little stalking, every marine as an unlimited powered lamp and is by a sentry gun if its dark, or your in well lit corridors, and have to kill them quick cause they can see you no matter what.

For all species it pays to keep run off, as running is only slighty faster yet much more noisey. Only run if your in such deep shit as one extra step for every five you take will save you (which is rare as fuck).

Plenty of wide open spaces in this game with far off scenery... too bad that its all fucking black and you only make out a hint of blue, grey, or green if that. Your filters have a very short range.

Great game, bad engine.

My recommendation, is if you have at least a 256 megs of ram, a GOOD graphics card, and a fast processor to kill those load times from hell, then get it. If not, and you want one of those games where you can fix a snack between levels, maybe eat it as well, then this is the game for you. The graphics are pretty, but the engine sucks resources up faster than a toothless whore. Lithtech must mean lowtech in some foriegn language. They should have used the q3arena engine. Too much ambition packed into to little technology.
No longer Trippin is offline   Reply With Quote