View Single Post
Old 23-03-2017, 09:12:04   #1179
jsorense
Kinked Rockist

Shadow & Claw: The First Half of The Book of the New Sun; The Shadow of the Torturer (1980) and The Claw of the Conciliator (1981) by Gene Wolfe
Wow, where to begin? These sci-fi/fantasy books are nothing if not ambiguous. The story takes place in a far future Earth that has been totally transformed through the rise and fall of past civilizations, the introduction of advanced, now magical, technologies, as well as aliens and alien life forms. The book chronicles the the trials and tribulations of a novice torture/executioner.
I have a lot of problems with these books and the universe that Wolfe creates. I don't like the settings, I find them too fantastic, nor do I like the characters, they are all fatally flawed. I know these works are supposed to be some of the best sci-fi ever written but I just don't get it. Each chapter reads like a stand-alone short story. There is lots of repetition. The society and ecology are incomplete and unbelievable. I had to force myself to finish this volume. I have no desire to ever revisit the vast, strange and unpleasant world Wolfe has created.
Yeah, rock and roll still lives on. "
jsorense is offline   Reply With Quote