View Single Post
Old 17-07-2016, 04:00:14   #1156
The Mad Monk
The REAL Nick Fury!

...and now, a few selected words from Pascal's Pensees (mid 1600s):

II VANITY

36 Anyone who does not see the vanity of the world is very vain himself. So who does not see it, apart from young people whose lives are all noise, diversions, and thoughts for the future?
But take away their diversion and they will be bored to extinction. Then they feel their nullity without recognizing it, for nothing could be more wretched than to be intolerably depressed as soon as one is reduced to introspection with no means of diversion.

III WRETCHEDNESS

70 If our condition were truly happy we should not need to divert ourselves from thinking about it.

IV. BOREDOM

77 Pride. Curiosity is only vanity. We usually only want to know something so that we can talk about it; in other words, we would never travel by sea if it meant never talking about it, and for the sheer pleasure of seeing things we could never hope to describe to others.

79 How tiresome it is to give up pursuits to which we have become attached. A man with a happy home life need only see a woman who attracts him, or spend five or six pleasant days gambling, and he will be very sorry to go back to what he was doing before. It happens every day.

I will crush you. With happy little apples.

I am a happy little sig. virus. Please put me in your happy little sig. so I can continue to happily replicate. A little.

Last edited by The Mad Monk; 17-07-2016 at 04:15:53.
The Mad Monk is offline   Reply With Quote