Counterglow Forums

Counterglow Forums (http://www.counterglow.com/forum/index.php)
-   Games (http://www.counterglow.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Gran Tursimo 4 (http://www.counterglow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27463)

King_Ghidra 21-03-2005 11:38:06

Gran Tursimo 4

So, weekend before last i went and bought GT4. It's basically the same as every other GT before, but obviously more cars, more courses etc.

The license tests are still absolute bitches, but yesterday i had a
fairly unique experience with one of them. The penultimate test for the International A license is one lap of the famous nurburgring, a ten minute, 20km drive where coming off the track even once will result in failure. As it turned out, by driving fairly cautiously I sailed round pretty easily, but to my utter horror as i approached the finish i realised i was going to fall outside the 10 minute mark. Very frustrating. Well i'll give it another go tonight, but i can't see myself attempting that one too often.

The graphics are spot-on, some beautiful courses and nice effects, i think the ps2's limits have pretty much been reached now, but this is a terrific swansong.

The nice thing about and GT3 and GT4 is that whether you like rally racing, street racing, touring car racing, le mans-style racing, quick races, long races, etc, etc. there is something here for you. Polyphony digital have made sure there are about a million different things to do and it keeps the game fresh and full of variety. Yesterday for instance, deciding to take a break from my attempts on the license tests, i took out my toyota rally car and did, some road rallying, some dirt rallying and even some snow rallying. After that i did a couple of overtaking missions in various cars, and finally tried a few races in my little mazda mx5. Lots of fun.

The one big new feature is the b-spec director's mode, where you can get the computer to control the car for you and you get to issue some general instructions (go fast, go easy, overtake everyone, etc.). This is cool for when you want to make some progress while you have a cup of tea or eat your dinner or something, or if you can't face 5 laps of the grand speedway for the zillionth time. You can even watch the race from a simplified view and speed it up to 3 times the usual speed. Very convenient.

lots of people moan about the primitive opponent ai, the lack of damage models and all that, and they are all valid arguments, but in the main, GT4 still delivers a cracking good driving experience.

MattHiggs 21-03-2005 11:41:18

I've played both GT3 and Project Gotham 2 and I think I prefer the latter.

King_Ghidra 21-03-2005 11:45:59

I had MSR on the dremcast, which became Project Gotham later. I didn't like it much. My cowie has played PG2, he says it's a bit more arcadey than GT, which sounds like my experience with it. Horses for courses maybe. For instance Burnout 3 is fun and exhilirating but GT4 is maybe more for the petrol-heads (which as a non-driver shouldn't include me, but obviously i have an inner Top Gear fan).

Funko 21-03-2005 11:48:26

There was an episode of Top Gear where Clarkson spent 48 hours trying to do the Nurburg ring in under 10 minutes. He was in a diesel though, admittedly a totally monster souped up diesel but still a diesel.

He was having loads of trouble, then this girl who works at the track took him round in his car and blew round in way under 10 minutes. Apparently it takes years to learn properly. :)

Funko 21-03-2005 11:48:48

you can just turn up at the Nurburg Ring and pay a small charge and drive round it.

Venom 21-03-2005 13:19:17

I very much like GT4 but the damn license tests really suck the steam out of the game.

So you can still score wins using director mode? I should try that.

fp 21-03-2005 21:08:43

Quote:

Originally posted by King_Ghidra

The one big new feature is the b-spec director's mode, where you can get the computer to control the car for you and you get to issue some general instructions (go fast, go easy, overtake everyone, etc.). This is cool for when you want to make some progress while you have a cup of tea or eat your dinner or something, or if you can't face 5 laps of the grand speedway for the zillionth time. You can even watch the race from a simplified view and speed it up to 3 times the usual speed. Very convenient.

:beer:

MattHiggs 23-03-2005 10:35:22

In PG2 the final series of super cars is based around the Nurburg Ring. There's no feeling like driving a Ferrari Enzo around that monster of a track!