PDA

View Full Version : Free Game of the Week - Cameleon 98

Snapcase
02-01-2003, 18:48:18
I have this notion that I might make January an unconventional board games theme month. We\'ll see.

If this will be the case, here\'s the first entry: Jari Kompaa\'s excellent Cameleon 98, a reasonably challenging, tactically interesting game of switching colors in order to eat neighbouring squares. Unfortunately there\'s no two-player mode and the AI is soon beat, but you can set yourself... challenges. Play against Anti-Midas and try to make him win, for example. Addictive!

http://sol.planet-d.net/cameleon.html

Scabrous Birdseed
02-01-2003, 18:49:46
Any other suggestions? I've got another downloadable one lined up, but no good on-line ones.

Venom
02-01-2003, 19:01:44
Change colors to eat squares? I think I may skip this one.

Scabrous Birdseed
02-01-2003, 20:04:02
It's quite fun- you start off as a single square in one colour, and incorporate any neighbouring squares in the colour you chose to change to. Trying to reach fields and/or cut off parts of the board from your opponent can be quite tricky, tactically, and it's hellishly addictive.

Sean
02-01-2003, 20:13:52
Own Goal? My submission could be played online or offline.

Debaser
02-01-2003, 20:24:12
It's downloadable for both PC and Atari ST (???), but says you can play it over the net from Finland's leading newspaper's site. I don't suppose anyone has a link?

Venom
02-01-2003, 20:29:35
Yes, I can see how that could be tactically challenging now.

Sol_hsa
04-01-2003, 21:47:47
I sent this email to debaser but I thought people might be interested in general..

You were curious about cameleon on the web. The url is as follows:

http://www.helsinginsanomat.fi/klik/pelit/cameleon/cameleon.html

Unfortunately it's in finnish.

The buttons are:

start screen:
left: single player
right: two-player

Assuming single player,
top left: start game
top right: quit
right side top down: red, green, blue, yellow

under the buttons the labels are:
player 1:
player 2:
turn:

If I remember right, the AI is something like the 'mean machine' is. I didn't code the thing, however, so I can't really remember =)

For those wondering, yes, I've been thinking of a new version for about 4 years now, just haven't started.. (suggestions and comments via email never hurt though =)