PDA

View Full Version : Counterglow's Most Disappointing Game of 2002

Darkstar
29-12-2002, 07:58:39
Any game released in 2002. Post your votes/noms for most disappointing game of the year.

Vincent
29-12-2002, 14:34:14
Civ III

KrazyHorse
29-12-2002, 21:12:32
SMAC. The graphics are like 1998. Who the hell do they think they're fooling?

moomin
29-12-2002, 21:34:07
Given the immense expectations, the nod ought to go to Civ3. But personally, I found HoMM4 even more disappointing.

The Mad Monk
30-12-2002, 00:39:51
I would have to say Civ III.

A lot of potential, brought down by bugs and an assortment of bad design decisions.

Venom
30-12-2002, 01:43:17
Too many.

Shining1
30-12-2002, 02:22:14
Neverwinter Nights.

It was released way way too early, with a ton of bugs and leaks, and the official campaign was pathetic compared to previous Bioware programmed games.

DungeonSiege in second place for putting the worst roleplaying system ever in the best roleplaying graphics system ever.

Note: This is for most disappointing, not worst game. Both of these probably made a fair few people's game of the year lists. They could have been really great, instead of just good with huge problems.

MattHiggs
30-12-2002, 02:53:59
I agree with Shining here, NWN had the potential to be so much more. What the market really needs now is another RPG like Baldur's Gate. It is still my most played game even to this date. I've done the single player campaign with every class and lots of variations with friends on multiplayer.

I was expecting the same quality, immersive story line and the same tactical gameplay seen in previous Bioware games. Instead we got a hack n slash single player campaign and the abilty to only control your main character.

Thankfully the multiplayer aspect of the game and the fans make this game good, but no where near as good as it should of been.

I really need a BG game with improved graphics, and I don't see many, if none in develepment. :(

Sir Penguin
30-12-2002, 07:48:39
NWN here, too. Clicheed, tedious single player campaign.

SP--didn't play CivIII

Mightytree
30-12-2002, 08:50:14
Apparently most of you guys were so hyped up about NWN, it couldn't be anything else but disappointing. Personally I really enjoyed it. Thank god I didn't quite follow the hype about it before its release.

And I don't quite understand the disappointment in CivIII either. You can only be disappointed in something if you had high expectations. Now, don't tell me you really expected CivIII to be great. I always thought this community was known for quite the opposite.

My vote goes to Dungeon Siege. I was quite enthusiastic about it ... until I played the demo and noticed how shit it was.

Sir Penguin
30-12-2002, 08:56:03
I didn't follow the hype about NWN either. The first I heard about it was here.

SP

moomin
30-12-2002, 11:54:42
I didn't even hear of NWN before it was released, and I love it. Perhaps that's because I belong to a group of people who've come together to play it online every weekend, and god almighty is it fun. The best spent gaming coin since Moo2 for me. But I agree people only plaing the SP campaign probably feel cheated, especially if they played other Bioware SP campaigns before.

Tip: download the Lone Wolf quests for some mode server. They really make NWN shine for the single player as well.

fp
30-12-2002, 13:48:18
CivIII would stand a better chance of winning this award if it hadn't been released in 2001. :rolleyes:

The Mad Monk
30-12-2002, 15:27:50
You see that? Civ III can't even do "Most Disappointing Game of 2002" properly!

Vincent
30-12-2002, 16:58:14
It's SO terrible boring and and it lacks SO MUCH of new ideas - it has the potential to be the bad game for the next 3 years (until Civ 4 is released).

It was released here in 2002

moomin
30-12-2002, 18:34:53
Vincent, really? No, I don't disagree with the fact that Civ3 sucked hairy donkey cohones, but I recall it as a almost-simultaneous worldwide release. I know I had it the same week as the Yanks at least.

But then we don't dub our entertainment in Scandinavia... ;)

Vincent
30-12-2002, 19:44:24
The german version was released about 3 months later. The US version was available earlier, but the "official" release was in february.
Someone here won my US Civ III game because of some stupid contest, Immortal Wombat I think.

OldWarrior_42
31-12-2002, 03:21:07
Apparently most of you guys were so hyped up about NWN, it couldn't be anything else but disappointing. Personally I really enjoyed it. Thank god I didn't quite follow the hype about it before its release.

Hmmmmmm... Could be like a movie. :D

Mightytree
31-12-2002, 09:08:12
Huh?! :D

PosterBoy
31-12-2002, 11:26:18
Mary-Kate and Ashley: Sweet Sixteen. With a title like that it just didn't deliver. :(

BoltyBoy
31-12-2002, 15:15:18
Most dissapointing = Morrowind or The Getaway

MDA
31-12-2002, 15:58:27
That Britney Spears dance game wasn't so hot either.

Lazy Lemonade
03-01-2003, 12:34:00
Morrowind which in the end I decided not to expand.

King_Ghidra
03-01-2003, 14:24:58
I didn't think that tony hawks 4 was anything better than tony hawks 3 - in other words it's brilliant, but disappointing in the sense that it's basically the same, and i thought the level design was less imaginative than thps3

Unreal tournament 2003 - i can't believe the gamne mags are raving about this, it is absofuckinglutely no different to anything else available in the fps market, apart from some quite cute graphics

Funkodrom
03-01-2003, 14:36:18
I still don't really understand your point about Tony 4. I think it's a bigger evolution from Tony 3 than Tony 3 was from Tony 2. OK so it's an evolution not a completely new game but that shouldn't be a disappointment 'cause it never pretended to be anything else. And there's the scale of the thing. 190 goals... I've just unlocked the pro goals and they are really tough.

I guess the question really is, if Tony 4 is a disappointment, what were you expecting from it?

King_Ghidra
03-01-2003, 14:52:55
Originally posted by Funkodrom
I still don't really understand your point about Tony 4. I think it's a bigger evolution from Tony 3 than Tony 3 was from Tony 2. OK so it's an evolution not a completely new game but that shouldn't be a disappointment 'cause it never pretended to be anything else. And there's the scale of the thing. 190 goals... I've just unlocked the pro goals and they are really tough.

I guess the question really is, if Tony 4 is a disappointment, what were you expecting from it?

err...something new?

all you've done is prove my point that it's just more of exactly the same

you say it doesn't pretend to be a new game, but am i not allowed to expect some innovation?

i think the new freeform nature of the levels has actually taken the skill away from the level design that was required when you had to be able to do everything in the smaller areas and time limits of thps3

also some of the new levels are just plain uninspired - the shipyard level is just dull dull dull

i keep saying i love the game, but that doesn't mean i can't be disappointed that they didn't make it better.

the standard of thps3 was so high (and you can say it wasn't much of an evolution but don't forget it was the first of the series to make the tranistion from ps to ps2 so i think that was quite an evolution already) that i hoped a similar advance would occur in thps4

DaShi
03-01-2003, 15:02:48
NWN

Debaser
03-01-2003, 15:03:06
I definately think the new freeform nature of THPS4 is a big improvement on the old style. KG, the time limits and smaller space aspects of the old challenges are still there, for example the Spine trick challenge on Kona skatepark, but now the challenges are linked in a much more fluid, natural feeling way. Having said that, some of fun on the old Tony games was seeing how many challenges you could complete within the 2 minute time limit, but I'm sure there is a way of replicating that on this game.

I haven't played the Shipyard level too much, but from the bit's I've seen, it appears that they are angling for a different type of level, where rather than just work out the best place to perform long grinds and big combos, the onus is on the player to explore the level more, in almost a Tomb Raidery fashion, ie, work out how to get to tricky or apparently unobtainable parts of the level using unusual tricks and lines.

Funkodrom
03-01-2003, 15:17:24
Yeah, absolutely. Debaser said it for me really.

For some reason you don't think the new goal system is an evolution, for me it's a brilliant change to the way it works. It means you can have much, much bigger levels with challenges starting all over them. That also allows much more variety of challenges on the levels.

The other good thing is that they've massively limited the ridiculous grind combo areas. eg. Airport down escalators and the whole outside of that first skate park. So now you need to actually be able to do a really good combo to get a huge score. You can't just jump and grind. The lines are still there though the levels, you just need to work a bit harder on your tricks to find them. To me that's better level design because it's so much subtler.

I feel the levels in THPS4 grow on me and get better the more I play them, which is the opposite of Tony 3 where I got bored the more I played them because they were a bit limited.

That said, it would be nice to have a really compact level like the foundry or the warehouse.

Funkodrom
03-01-2003, 15:18:07
(Debaser's talking about the combo challenge on Kona I think)

King_Ghidra
03-01-2003, 15:27:46
Originally posted by Debaser

I haven't played the Shipyard level too much, but from the bit's I've seen, it appears that they are angling for a different type of level, where rather than just work out the best place to perform long grinds and big combos, the onus is on the player to explore the level more, in almost a Tomb Raidery fashion, ie, work out how to get to tricky or apparently unobtainable parts of the level using unusual tricks and lines.

this isn't new, this type of play is in thps3

take the level where you have to make the bridge fall down to stop the car chase and then you can get up on the broken bridge, etc.

and of course the 'get the hidden tape' challenges normally required a smiliar type of thing, i.e. not score related but 'hmm..i can see something , but how do i get to it?'

so it's not a new thing, the exploration angle was always there in thps3, obviously within a time limited situation

Debaser
03-01-2003, 15:29:55
Originally posted by Funkodrom
(Debaser's talking about the combo challenge on Kona I think)

No, I was talking about that trick where you have 2 half pipes back to back, and you have to perform different flips and grabs on command as you do a spine transfer*. You know the one Mike, the one you had to get me to do for you :coolgrin: .

*A new trick for Tony4 which adds a whole new element to your choice of lines.

Funkodrom
03-01-2003, 15:32:30
Oh yeah. OK. That one.

I really like the "call out the tricks" challenges actually.

The bonus games are cool as well. They just add that little extra something.

Haven't really mastered the spine transfer yet. I'm sure it'll open out whole extra big combos.

Debaser
03-01-2003, 15:34:02
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
this isn't new, this type of play is in thps3

take the level where you have to make the bridge fall down to stop the car chase and then you can get up on the broken bridge, etc.

and of course the 'get the hidden tape' challenges normally required a smiliar type of thing, i.e. not score related but 'hmm..i can see something , but how do i get to it?'

so it's not a new thing, the exploration angle was always there in thps3, obviously within a time limited situation

That's true to an extent, but the Shipyard is an entire level designed for that type of play, rather than have the occasional challenge in that style.

KG, did you like that Vice City link I PM'd you?

King_Ghidra
03-01-2003, 15:36:59
Originally posted by Debaser

KG, did you like that Vice City link I PM'd you?

you pm'ed k_g@home, he can't respond until i get home

Debaser
03-01-2003, 15:41:38
Ok, sorry. Best talk quietly so we don't wake him.