Mr. Bas
29-12-2002, 04:00:48
Yeah.

Scabrous Birdseed
29-12-2002, 10:57:34
Yup.

Funkodrom
29-12-2002, 12:09:32
Someone mentioned it to me before, as some kind of important style book. I'd never heard of it. Read the first 20 pages on amazon. Had absolutely no wish to read any more of it. Very turgid. If she can't make me think she's going to say something interesting in her book in the first 20 pages then I'm not going to read it.

The quote at the beginning was good.

Scabrous Birdseed
29-12-2002, 13:00:54
It's quite fun, actually. You'd probably enjoy it. Bit naive, but a few nice insights.

moomin
29-12-2002, 21:36:05
I heard 'bout this. Could someone please summarize the most important points made? Given as how the book has become the Attack Bible, I fear I couldn't stomach it myself, but there might be an interesting inkling or two nevertheless.

Scabrous Birdseed
29-12-2002, 22:38:02
The more interesting parts are about lifestyle branding and how modern marketting works- why brands like Starbucks and Nike and Borders Book Stores are immensely successful while traditional brands like Marlboro are losing ground. That section I certainly found the most interesting and insightful.

It also talks about how the activist community is responding, about subvertising and the like, which I found quite boring. Plus it has a bit about tax-free Export Processing Zones and third-world outsourcing, which contains a decent barrage of statistics but little else.

Debaser
29-12-2002, 22:45:51
I read it on a plane to New Zealand. It passed the time, but I don't really remember it or have any desire to read it again.

moomin
30-12-2002, 11:59:22
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
The more interesting parts are about lifestyle branding and how modern marketting works- why brands like Starbucks and Nike and Borders Book Stores are immensely successful while traditional brands like Marlboro are losing ground. That section I certainly found the most interesting and insightful.

Thanks. Would you say it adds anything interesting beyond the standard marketing literature (Kotler et al) or is it a rehash of that for the marketing-deficient crowd, now with added subversive terminology for even cooler rebel flavour?

Scabrous Birdseed
30-12-2002, 15:32:05
Possibly. It's certainly helpful for the more alarmist perspective.

King_Ghidra
02-01-2003, 15:42:25
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed

It also talks about how the activist community is responding, about subvertising and the like, which I found quite boring. Plus it has a bit about tax-free Export Processing Zones and third-world outsourcing, which contains a decent barrage of statistics but little else.

for once, i am in total agreement :)

saves me using my valuable work surfing time to write a proper review :)