PDA

View Full Version : The pianist

Drekkus
27-12-2002, 11:58:58
Went to see it on boxing day.

Fucking hell.

LoD
28-12-2002, 11:03:13
Ah, so that's why you asked me about that...

Sean
28-12-2002, 11:44:19
Not out here for a couple of weeks, unfortunately.

Edit: you two care to share your thoughts, then? I assume LoD has seen it, although I might be wrong.

Darkstar
29-12-2002, 07:36:23
I went and saw Harry Potter #2 instead. Sounds like I got the better deal.

Sean
29-12-2002, 11:08:19
Eh?

Drekkus
29-12-2002, 15:02:49
I don't think so DS. I expected the pianist to be a somewhat romanticised story of a guy who played his way through all the misery of WWII. What I got was a raw version of Schindler's List, without the dramatic effects, but far more powerfull.

It depicts the WWII in Warsaw through the eyes of a jewish guy. His experiences in the ghetto really make you gasp for breath at times. It shows how people were dealing with everyday life, how people react differently to random killing, starvation and the struggle for survival. Pure luck making the difference between life and death.

Like I said, not to many dramatic sound and light effects. The main character is a normal human, showing courage and being a coward. It shows people from all sides being good and bad.
It really slapped me in the face, since I didn't expect it like this.

Darkstar
30-12-2002, 06:49:59
Ah. Well, that sounds interesting. Much better then:

Fucking hell.

which just sounds like you felt it was a waste of your life.

Drekkus
30-12-2002, 08:43:03
I meant that it hit me quite hard, since I didn't expect it.

Darkstar
31-12-2002, 04:57:11
I understand that, now that you gave some real details. Before, it just sounds like you had a terrible time, and wanted that time back from having been wasted so horribly, or perhaps from having been tortured mentally and emotionally by having to endure it.

Venom
31-12-2002, 16:19:48
Right...scratch this one off the list.

walruskkkch
02-01-2003, 04:32:01
Chick Flic.

Drekkus
05-01-2003, 20:38:49
Originally posted by Venom
Right...scratch this one off the list. No, I think you will like it. It's full of randomly shooting people in the head, throwing old people in wheelchairs off 5 storie balconies, running over people in the streest with cars, people jumping off building while burning, lot of shooting with all sorts of smaller and bigger guns.

MDA
10-01-2003, 20:01:26
So, how does it compare to The Piano - the NZ immigrant earns her piano back on her back movie?

Sounds a hell of a lot better.

Drekkus
11-01-2003, 17:23:50
The Piano is some romantic movie, The Pianist is like Schindlers List, but less romantic.

FunkyFingers
25-01-2003, 10:06:45
I read about this movie, it does sound excellent. The actor who plays the "Pianist" actually starved himself and lost something like 4 stone to get in to the role properly. And he took piano lessons for 6 months in order to actually be able to play some of the Chopin.
It's a personal bugbear of mine actually, when you get actors miming playing musical instruments that they blatantly can't play, it just looks dreadful!

RedFred
27-01-2003, 02:26:56
My GF dragged me to the Pianist yesterday. I usually go more for comedies or not overly violent action movies. But this was a classic. I am glad I saw it.

The movie seemed much darker, but perhaps more realistic than Schindler's List. But it is every bit as powerful. I love movies with few recognizable "stars" because I am able to see them all as characters rather than actors trying to be characters.

Getting back to Schindler's List, one of my favourite scenes is at the end of the movie when the actual people portrayed by the actors make a cameo. I recently saw Rabbit Proof Fence where the same technique was used at the end. Perhaps a bit of a thread-jack, but I can recommend that movie as well.

Sean
27-01-2003, 23:53:19
Rabbit-Proof Fence was good, but it could have been great. Still well worth watching.

I am still yet to see the Pianist, but I think I might see it and Irréversible this weekend.