None have names

Here open the gates of heaven
Here open the gates of hell

Time was
Time is
Time shall be no more

Scabrous Birdseed
21-12-2002, 22:08:39
If they aren't Metallers they should be. Same perchant for bad, unworkedthrough poetry involving apocalyptic household objects.

Lazarus and the Gimp
21-12-2002, 23:11:57
They aren't, and David Tibet is frequently hailed as one of the best lyricists active. Admittedly this one isn't one of their best.

PosterBoy
21-12-2002, 23:48:14
someone is fully embracing the spirit of Christmas

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-12-2002, 08:46:36
Diana

Lust- he follows virtue close
Through the steaming woodlands
His darkened blood through bulging veins
Virtue knows he follows softly
Travel light the deathly shudder
Down the leafy pathway
The dim light she comes peering through the forest pines
And she knows by the sound of the baying
By the baying of the hounds
Diana, Diana, kick your feet up
Lust bares his teeth and whines
For he's picked up the scent of virtue
And he knows the panic signs
Lust cries running with his eyes
The white-clad figure fleeting
Mud burns his eyes but desire burns his mind
Fear in her eyes as the forest grins through the steaming woodlands
Lust- now his soul destroyed, with enmity disarmed

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-12-2002, 08:51:30
The death of the corn

Through the marshes
And through the filtering glades
Through the corn
And through the scything fields
The summer sun
She dances and rages
The summer sun
Flies burning into the light
And who shall die
At the death of the corn?
Rise, rise, rise!

The sleeping giant awakes
He circles into circling
The wild Wild hunt
Dawn dies at dusk
And Dolly banners are raised
For the death of the corn
They're sealed and shining
With the True Love Knot

And who shall lie
Rise, rise, rise!

Shifting the shapes
That bleed the mountains
You tear apart my body
The corn king dies
Has died, he dies
And dying still
He shall rise again
And sink back into earth

And who shall cry
Rise, rise, rise!

And who will cry?
(The summer sun dances)
And who shall die?
(The summer sun dances)
The death of the corn
Rebirth and reborn

And the true love knot is found
In the death of the corn
And the true love knot is bound
In the death of the corn
And the true love knot is crowned
In the death of the corn

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-12-2002, 08:53:20
There's a certain basic pointlessness to posting song lyrics that nobody will read, but when they're as magical as that one then it's a triumph in itself.

We wish you a pagan Christmas
And a happy Beltane.

Scabrous Birdseed
22-12-2002, 11:33:09
I just read through them and they're almost as bad- clichés, repetitions, dark gothy nonsense, lack of thoroughness in weeding out bad verbal expression. Not a single phrase in any of these lyrics is as sublimely striking as every line of a modern poem should be.

If this is the state of poetry in rock lyrics, I think a return to safer territory is probably advised, going for striking phrases that express simple, single-layered thoughts instead. I'm holding you so ti-i-ight, you know you could'ha been a handle...

paiktis22
22-12-2002, 11:37:40
I agree with the abovementioned.

Too cliche and boring.

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-12-2002, 18:06:50
There is no room for image and nuance in your Year Zero. You can keep the "Paint by numbers" pop-art manifesto- I'll stick with Turner's late oils.

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-12-2002, 19:33:53
Anyway, when it comes to literary appreciation I've still not forgiven Scabby for persuading me to read "The Long Ships".

Scabrous Birdseed
22-12-2002, 22:27:40
You're full of shit, mate- this stuff would not have passed the test in any era. I'm perfectly willing to neglect Heideggerian truth in favour of narrative and figurative substance, but forgive me for deeming Smokey Robinson a better practitioner of that lesser sub-poetic art.

Especially since these guys do try so hard. Your pieces manage to both totally circumvent expressiveness and any tounge-tip exploration of the taste of language, while desperately trying to do both. There are a few sub-striking seeds that can be developed, "steaming woodlands" isn't awful. But any poet using entirely unexpressive near-idioms like "leafy path" or "dawn dies at dusk" and as desperately incongruent, one-minded and unrhythmical writing as this is stuck in seventh grade as far as poetry is concerned.

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-12-2002, 22:37:05
Then again, this isn't an attempt to appeal to academics. It's a cultural history gutpunch. Which may not mean much outside of a British context.

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-12-2002, 22:40:12
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
But any poet using entirely unexpressive near-idioms like "leafy path" or "dawn dies at dusk" and as desperately incongruent, one-minded and unrhythmical writing as this is stuck in seventh grade as far as poetry is concerned.

Hang on. What do you think the significance of "Dawn dies at dusk" is, in this context?

Scabrous Birdseed
23-12-2002, 12:42:41
Who the fuck cares? There's no expressiveness in the phrase. There's no taste to the language, nothing that leaps out at you from the page. It's quite simply bad poetry, which I can confidently say from an entirely non-academic perspective.

I read poetry for what it feels like, the texture and flavour of it, not some namby-pamby literary analysis bollocks. I want each line to be significant, each line to be expressive, each line to do something creative and interesting and beautiful and complex with language. Not this gothy mire of simplistic anglo-saxon gurning.

Although I didn't like it particularly, I much preffered the Uncle Tupelo track you put on LWP3. At least that guy has some sort of feel for the sounds of words and how to connect them in startling ways.

Lazarus and the Gimp
23-12-2002, 14:33:13
You're using the expression "gothic" repeatedly, but I think you don't really understand it. If it helps, none of the tracks are Goth at all. They're Folk lyrics.

Goth typifies a preoccupation with death, decay, doom, darkness in a Belle Dame sans merci opiated swoon. With these lyrics you're actually very far away from that. They are a celebration of life through rebirth, and the triumph of bulging-veined lust over death and dessicated virtue.

Now the first set of lyrics could be called "Gothic" but only very loosely and only in their references to death. Then again, when mentioning Christianity it's quite hard to get away from death imagery. Still, it's atypical from the band.

Scabrous Birdseed
23-12-2002, 16:01:30
What? I've not used the word "gothic" once!

I certainly can appreciate the relevant kind of faintly pagan mustiness (I'm a great fan of Neil Gaiman, for instance) but forgive me for always putting style before substance. No matter what you're after, if the interface isn't up to it, if the words used are inferior and messy, if the audible impact is absolute zilch you have quite simply failed. These lyrics do absolutely nothing in the one area that really matters: transmitting feelings through the mere words, their sounds and the combination of their simple meanings. Everything else is just theorising.

paiktis22
23-12-2002, 19:34:25
Well it's true though that some lyrics/poems/phrases get a whole different meaning inside a specific context, whereas they could mean next to nothing when someone outside of that cultural /country specific context hears them...

it's like that most of the time

Scabrous Birdseed
23-12-2002, 19:40:02
Bah, don't switch sides. Quisling!

Lazarus and the Gimp
23-12-2002, 19:44:07
What? I've not used the word "gothic" once!

Well, OK. However you have used the word "Gothy" in a pretty crucial descriptive setting twice. If "Gothy" means something different to "Gothic" then there may be some point to that quote above.....

Meanwhile, there are no ends of precedents for substance prevailing over style (Lovecraft being a prime example), but that's a moot point seeing as to my ears there is a power and beauty to the words used, such as "the scything fields".

I am not Swedish, or Greek, and I have a different ear to your based on our respective cultural histories. Current 93 owe nothing to American rock/pop in style- they're very deeply and uniquely English. That's why there's no pop sweeties in their lyrics.

paiktis22
23-12-2002, 19:56:38
Bah, don't switch sides. Quisling!

I don't care about sides.

None of you is giving me a free CD.

I'm just interested in the TRUTH! :coolgrin:

Provost Harrison
23-12-2002, 19:58:06
You're full of shit, mate- this stuff would not have passed the test in any era. I'm perfectly willing to neglect Heideggerian truth in favour of narrative and figurative substance, but forgive me for deeming Smokey Robinson a better practitioner of that lesser sub-poetic art.

Especially since these guys do try so hard. Your pieces manage to both totally circumvent expressiveness and any tounge-tip exploration of the taste of language, while desperately trying to do both. There are a few sub-striking seeds that can be developed, "steaming woodlands" isn't awful. But any poet using entirely unexpressive near-idioms like "leafy path" or "dawn dies at dusk" and as desperately incongruent, one-minded and unrhythmical writing as this is stuck in seventh grade as far as poetry is concerned.

*whispers*

Look people, don't ask any questions, just nod and smile politely. It's easier that way

;)

Scabrous Birdseed
23-12-2002, 20:03:00
No, there's no pop "sweeties" in their lyrics because they're desperately, and quite obviously skillessly, trying to write poetry instead of rock lyrics. It can be dnoe from any cultural context, and certainly americans have done it as much as the english. I don't mind it, as long as it's good poetry.

"The scything fields" is quite nice. Not rhythmical enough, sounds a bit "oh-I'm-so-dramatic" overbearing, but otherwise okay. If the rest of it was like that, and it worked rhythmically overall, it wouldn't be half bad.

What substance is there in Lovecraft? That of his which I enjoy, and I do occasionally, succeeds because he can use words to build up an athmosphere properly. However boring, empty stories they may be, at least they have a little bit of lingual feel to them, though he (willfully?) lacks the ability to conjure up images like, say, Conan Doyle can. And he does use the word "eldritch" too much. :)

(Gothy -> in tone similar to that used by goths, very thinly doom-laden and overdramatic. It's probably the wrong word.)

Lazarus and the Gimp
23-12-2002, 20:03:56
It's like one of those strange mornings you get where you fell asleep in front of the TV and have subconsciously absorbed 6 hours of "Open University" programming.

Scabrous Birdseed
23-12-2002, 20:05:56
You started it!

Lazarus and the Gimp
23-12-2002, 20:13:27
Damn right! Now get that LWP article in or I'll post more C93 lyrics.

Lazarus and the Gimp
23-12-2002, 20:14:01
They've done about 30 albums, so there's plenty to choose from.

Scabrous Birdseed
23-12-2002, 20:15:51
I would if you didn't keep interrupting me by posting in this thread.

Lazarus and the Gimp
23-12-2002, 20:28:46
Right- if it's not up by my bedtime, you're getting the lyrics to the full 14 minute Steve Ignorant version of "Falling back in fields of rape". It could get messy.

Scabrous Birdseed
23-12-2002, 20:49:05
It's done. I'm posting it now.

Provost Harrison
23-12-2002, 21:07:23
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
It's like one of those strange mornings you get where you fell asleep in front of the TV and have subconsciously absorbed 6 hours of "Open University" programming.

:lol: