PDA

View Full Version : Singles of the year

King_Ghidra
19-12-2002, 09:04:44
Here's mine - in no particular order...

Sugababes - Freak Like Me
I picked up the 'original bootleg of Adina Howard vs Gary Numan and Tubeway Army a few weeks before it was revealed this was to be rerecorded by the Sugababes. Either version does the business for me. Totally brilliant.

The Vines - Get Free
Great stuff to jump around like a maniac to, and a brilliant video to boot.

Queens of the stone age - No one knows
Probably my album of the year. Not sure what they released as singles, but it says on the front of the album that they released this, so we'll go with it.

Nelly - Hot in here
Not only that but any time anyone in the office complained in the summer that it was 'getting hot in here', I was able to respond 'so take off all your clothes'. How i laughed.

80's matchbox B-line disaster - Celebrate your mother
A late and great entry, twisted lyrics and an insane adrenalin-pumping climax that threatens to have me smash up the house every time i hear it.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Whatever happened to my rock n roll
I thought the BRMC album was really solid and frankly i could have picked any of their singles. But i couldn't remember the names of the other ones.

The Parkinsons - Angel in the dark
The Parkinsons, Ikara Colt and 80's matchbox B-line disaster at Bristol Fleece & Firkin was the best gig i saw this year and the Parkinson's EP was up to the same high standards of chaotic pseudo punk guitar noise.

Liberty X - Just a little
I first saw this without sound on MTV Europe whilst in a bar in Portugal. When i got back to blighty i saw the full thing and have irritated the hell out of my girlfriend by singing it non stop ever since. I don't half fancy that Jessica bird, christ.

Cooper Temple Clause - Film Maker
Another great video, another full on cock-grabbing guitar volley. For a bunch of preening peacock wooftas from Reading they really aren't half bad.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Bang
The original 'makes me want to fuck my girl on the floor' track. Sexy, dirty, sexy and dirty. With added dirty.

Funkodrom
19-12-2002, 09:16:11
Singles?

Er...

Hmmmmm...

No-one Knows Qotsa and Get Free by The Vines were both great.

SikTh - How May I Help You? (fucking superb video http://www.sikth.com/video.htm)

Not sure that was a single though.

Scabrous Birdseed
19-12-2002, 10:57:59
I'll second Freak Like Me, Hot in Here and, if you include the whole EP, Bang.

Also:

R&B/Hip-Hop:

Missy Elliott - Back in the Day: Glorious Old-Skool throwback, lovely integration of the new and the old. One of the strongest tracks on the new album.

Aaliyah - More Than A Woman: Best #1 of the year, possibly since it was recorded at the beginning of last year. Oh well.

Tweet - Oops (Oh My): Yes, it's another Timbaland production. So kill me.

Miss Dynamite - Pur Him Out: Strongest single off the Mercury-winning album.

Swedish:

Håkan Hellström - Kom Igen Lena: Any single by him is always an event. (Swedish Language)

Mando Diao - The Motown Blood EP: Easily the best Garage Rock from Sweden at the mo. Possible bias 'cause of its foursongness.

Hellacopters - By The Grace of God: If just for the ticks at the start.

Melody Club - Palace Station: Too infectuous to hate, really.

Kent - Dom Andra: *whistles* Fwi-fwu-fwu-fwii-fwuu fwi-fwu-fwoo-fwuu... (Swedish Language)

Dancehall:

Sean Paul - Gimme the Light: The most surprising US hit of the year is precisely that because it also happens to be one of the best Dancehall cuts of the year. Which, to my knowledge, has never happened before.

Tanto Metro and Devonte - Give it to Her: aka. Best Use of Vocoder on a Record Ever.

Sizzla - Ghetto Revolution: The palpable evolutionary track of the year. Combines roots and modern production techniques to great effect.

Soca:

Kevin Lyttle - Turn Me On: Best R&B Crossover of the year. Classic tune.

Iwer George - Gimme Ah Bligh: Iwer is always difficult to beat for Hard Soca. This is the best of the year and possibly of the entire Carnival, where he was crowned 2002 Monarch.

Alison Hinds feat. Peter Ram- Wave Wid Me: Best Soca on a Dancehall Riddim.

Debaser
19-12-2002, 14:55:14
Libertines - Up The Bracket
Ladytron - Playgirl
Royksopp - That song with the cool technical diagram video
Hundred Reasons - Falter
Pink - Don't Let Me Get Me
Busted - That's what I Go To School For

That last one is a lie.

PosterBoy
19-12-2002, 14:59:01
why?

Debaser
19-12-2002, 14:59:58
Why is it a lie? Because I don't really like it.

PosterBoy
19-12-2002, 15:04:25
100-0

Debaser
19-12-2002, 15:14:03
You asked the dumb question buddy. I was merely clarifying my comment slowly and clearly for you. You probably bought the Busted single didn't you. I bet you like Stanford Amp as well.

Funkodrom
19-12-2002, 15:17:35
I have no idea what the Busted single was.

Debaser
19-12-2002, 15:21:34
Busted were one of those boybands that pretended to be a proper band who, like, played instruments and were a bit "punk". They didn't have a drummer.

Get Posterboy to lend you his single or copy the album for you.

PosterBoy
19-12-2002, 16:29:10
Damn you know me so well (Just like Elaine Page and Barbara Dickson) Debaser. I indeed made love to all of Stanford Amp just last week, and I am learning to play drums so I can join Busted, so people like you won't see us as a boyband rather than the genuine Punk band that Busted are.

You probably think when it is said that Busted co-write their material, they just go 'oh yeah that's sounds good put that down' or 'we want a song about a girl we like and uh she doesn't like us but then at the end she changes her mind'

Funkodrom
19-12-2002, 16:33:05
I had to go and find out who they are.

Holy fucking sack of steaming spunk.

If you live in the semi-posh London suburb of Finchley, the chances are you'll already be aware of Busted. They're the three lads who moved in down the road in March - the ones responsible for the all-hours parties, the distant thump of top-volume music, and the gentle scent of unwashed dishes drifting through the spring air. If you're new to Charlie, Mattie and James, hold onto your hat: Busted are finally ready to do to the charts what they've already done to North London, armed only with their own brand of infectious, boysterous, balls-out guitar driven pop, with the axe-flailing cheek of Blink 182, the pop nous of Max Martin, and the best line in haircuts since Kelis last went for dinner with Lily Savage. (Which, in case you're wondering, was last Friday. Kelis had pie and mash.)

What a load of shite.

Debaser
19-12-2002, 16:41:38
Did you write that yourself, having never heard of them before today?

Funkodrom
19-12-2002, 16:48:57
No, I wrote it myself having never heard of them before today.

King_Ghidra@home
19-12-2002, 17:59:34
why did you hijack my music thread?

i only post once in a blue moon and you screw my thread you fuckers

Debaser
19-12-2002, 18:11:57
Sorry KG, won't happen again.

What happened to those AVi's you were gonna mail me huh?

King_Ghidra
20-12-2002, 08:46:14
oh yeah...err...is your service provider going to let 12mb of stuff arrive in your inbox?

If so i shall send it forthwith

Funkodrom
20-12-2002, 12:15:01
See what happened to your thread now you demanded it went back on topic? Dead

King_Ghidra
20-12-2002, 12:27:56
that asshole debaser

he'll come crawling back

they always do

Debaser
20-12-2002, 12:33:22
*Debaser comes crawling back.....*

12meg....Um...I think that would be ok, can't see why not. Can't you sent 2 6meg chunks or something to be on the safe side? If not then just go for it I reckon.

King_Ghidra
20-12-2002, 12:34:49
ha ha, pathetic

ok, i'll do it when i get home today

Debaser
20-12-2002, 12:38:20
:beer: Thanks KG!

Koshko
21-12-2002, 07:24:37
I'll assume you only mean stuff you've heard on the radio ... Well I'm not sure if a few of these were this year or last ... These were not of the lists.

Thursday - Understanding in a Car Crash
Abandoned Pools - The Remedy
Sense Field - Save Yourself
Chevelle - The Red
Seether - erm that song who's title eludes me now =/

Lazarus and the Gimp
21-12-2002, 09:33:33
Singles of the year

"The storm"- Tanya Donnelly
"Pilot"- The Notwist
"There goes the fear"- Doves
"Freak like me"- Sugababes
"Lose yourself"- Eminem
"The people"- The Music
"Weak become heroes"- The Streets
"Open heart zoo"- Martin Grech

Lazarus and the Gimp
21-12-2002, 09:34:36
Damn. Forgot...

"Seventeen"- Ladytron

Debaser
21-12-2002, 13:13:21
Hurrah for Ladytron!

Have you heard The Way That I Found You? A great song.

*End Is Forever*
21-12-2002, 18:34:51
Thursday rock. They were great at Leeds. :beer:

"Hot In Herre" (stupid fucker can't even spell) is probably one of the worst, most annoying single of the year...

I'm pretty sure one of my housemates has shagged at least one of the Libertines...

PosterBoy
21-12-2002, 23:50:20
doves what a fucking boring band 'there goes my attention span'

Eklektikos
22-12-2002, 01:18:11
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Singles of the year

"The storm"- Tanya Donnelly
Total agreement there. Bought it on a whim after I found myself listening to the Belly track on the Mallrats album near constantly. Not at all what I'd expected or hoped for but wow, I'm glad it wasn't, because otherwise it wouldn't have been nearly half as great a song.

I don't really buy or listen to singles particularly often, but of the few I did hear this year I most liked Furniture by Fugazi and Irony is a Dead Scene by the Dillinger Escape Plan & Mike Patton.

Funkodrom
23-12-2002, 12:03:46
Ooooh. Haven't heard that Dillenger with Mike Patton track. I think I'd love it.

King_Ghidra@home
23-12-2002, 16:03:54
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Singles of the year

"Weak become heroes"- The Streets

brilliant video, brought back so many memories (in a 'if you remember it you weren't there' way) :clueless:

Provost Harrison
23-12-2002, 19:43:05
Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
"Hot In Herre" (stupid fucker can't even spell) is probably one of the worst, most annoying single of the year...

That is bad, but that fucking 'dilemma' song is far, far worse. It makes me want to claw out my cochleas...

Eklektikos
03-01-2003, 11:23:49
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Ooooh. Haven't heard that Dillenger with Mike Patton track. I think I'd love it.
It's pretty damn great although I'm not a huge fan of the first song, Hollywood Squares, which I find drags somewhat. The last track's a bit of a treat though: a cover of Aphex Twin's Come to Daddy. :D

Funkodrom
03-01-2003, 11:38:02
Cool. It's called Irony is a Dead Scene isn't it?

Also, total agreement with K_G's if you remember it you weren't there comment.

King_Ghidra
03-01-2003, 14:59:47
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
That is bad, but that fucking 'dilemma' song is far, far worse. It makes me want to claw out my cochleas...

yeah i hate that, that is the unacceptable face of r&b rap crossovers

but hot in here is pure party fun, don't be a wallflower, get up and shake your booty to it!

Provost Harrison
03-01-2003, 17:20:31
I'll pass on that suggestion KG...:nervous: