PDA

View Full Version : Top ten computer game music

King_Ghidra
09-01-2002, 13:33:41
in no particular order...

IK+ (Amiga/C64) - Can't remember who did this music, but it's excellent.

Xenon II megablast (Amiga) - The Bomb the Bass soundtrack so good i used to load the game just to listen to the music.

Speedball 2 (Amiga) - More great title Tim Simenon music

Final Fantasy VII (PS) - fantastic score with an epic sweep that totally complements the game

Jet Set Radio (Dreamcast) - a great collection of hip-hop, dj mixing, gorillaz style tunage.

Tony Hawks Pro skater3 (PS2) - Kind of a cheat cos it's just a load of real songs - but good ones!

Turrican (Amiga) - Great variety of music for the different styles of levels. Really atmospheric.

Outrun (C64) - Remember picking the music to drive to? My version on the C64 came with a free audio tape of the original arcade music. It was very popular in me, MikeH's and the Shaker's house back in the day...well ok, popular with me :)

errr...can't think of any more that deserve it - over to you guys!

Snapcase
09-01-2002, 14:06:52
The only C64 music I remember (hey, I sold mine when I was eleven, gimme a break) was Spy Hunter's, but IIRC that was just a version of Smoke on the Water...

PC Game favs:

GTA- I loved the way the radio stations worked. Every time you stepped into a car it'd be tuned to a radio station, some of them actually pretty good. Poking gentle fun at pop music, from Hip-Hop to Country.

Grim Fandango- probably the greatest achievement of the Lucasarts internal music team, Clint Bajlakan and Michael Land, both now gone from the company. Latin-Jazz.

The Secret of Monkey Island- The original Land themes are still so powerful that they regularly turn up in TV advertising. Tell me another game which achieved that.

Full Throttle- Bringing in a real Biker band (the Gone Jackals) to do the music to the ultimate biker game was pure genius. Very well integrated too.

Funkodrom
09-01-2002, 14:31:22
Turbo Out Run music was even better than Out Run.

X-Wing is one of the first I remember having proper interactive music.

Funkodrom
09-01-2002, 14:33:01
Originally posted by Snapcase
Full Throttle- Bringing in a real Biker band (the Gone Jackals) to do the music to the ultimate biker game was pure genius. Very well integrated too.

Yeah, definitely. That was a great game and the music was really good. I used to get packs of people sitting in my room at Uni watching and 'helping' when I was playing that game.

FunkyFingers
09-01-2002, 16:31:32
Transport Tycoon music was superb. Lots of different tracks to listen to, all with a very catchy cheesy-jazz feel to them.

WipeOut 2097 - getting the likes of the Chemical Brothers, Leftfield and the Prodigy on to the soundtrack for this "extreme floating race" game was a masterstroke. They even released a CD Soundtrack album for this game!

Any X-Wing related game - using the Star Wars music is always going to be good, but the way the music changed depending upon what was happening in the game is fantastic. You always knew when some serious Imperial Shit was about to go down when the "Imperial March" comes on...

Resource Consumer
09-01-2002, 16:37:59
Jet Set Willy / Manic Miner.:D

Vincent Fandango
09-01-2002, 17:35:50
The intro of Civ1 was great whean played via Roland LAPC card

Aredhran
10-01-2002, 09:25:44
The game Outlaws (? cowboy 1st person shooter by LucasArts) had perfect music - you really felt like being in one of those old Sergio Leone Western movies, with the classical Ennio Morricone sound

King_Ghidra
10-01-2002, 09:42:19
Originally posted by FunkyFingers

WipeOut 2097 - getting the likes of the Chemical Brothers, Leftfield and the Prodigy on to the soundtrack for this "extreme floating race" game was a masterstroke. They even released a CD Soundtrack album for this game!

can't believe i forgot this one - this game was a real groundbreaker in taking the console out of the bedroom and putting it into the nightclubs and bars of this world. Making gaming a little more socially acceptable.
I challenge someone to do that with the pc!

Vincent Fandango
10-01-2002, 13:47:13
THPS 1,2,3 soundtracks (http://www.planettonyhawk.com/articles/soundtrack/index.shtml#thps3)

Snapcase
12-01-2002, 15:17:12
Ewww. It's all nu-metal.

One nice surprise I got when I bought the Doom Collectors edition recently was a properly recorded version of that surf-industrial tune that's used in the first level. Absolutely brilliant stuff. It's hidden somewhere on the CD though and I have yet to find it, but I'll get it out eventually unless it's actually buried in the Setup program...

Funkodrom
12-01-2002, 17:57:45
No it's not, it has some on it but also a lot of punk, Hip Hop and classic rock.

sean—temp
12-01-2002, 21:20:31
Total Annihilation had a nice score in the same vein as the X-Wing games. Years ahead of its time, that game.

Heroes of Might and Magic II gets an honourable mention for giving opera a go :), but for most games I put whatever music I want on and turn the music off.

DaShi
14-01-2002, 09:06:37
The only video game soundtrack I ever bought was for Final Fantasy VIII. Of course, it had "Eyes on Me."

Tropico has good songs.
BGII: ToB is also good. The Bhaalspawn battle music is awesome.

I don't like most of the Simgames music. SimCity3000 had some of the worst imo. Although The Sims is tolerable.

Provost Harrison
17-01-2002, 11:16:00
After so many years of playing Civilization, I became quite attached to it's diplomacy tunes. Sad I know, but they will always hold a special place in my heart :love:

Vincent Fandango
17-01-2002, 13:58:16
UFO Enemy Unknown was quite cool using a LAPC card, but it was bad using a SB

Juggernaut
30-01-2002, 01:07:16
I'm sure I've forgot a shitload, but...

1. Megaman II (NES)
2. Street Fighter II (SNES)
3. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
4. Megaman (NES)
5. SWAT3 (PC)
6. Homeworld (PC)
7. Colonization (PC)
8. Wizards & Warriors (NES)
9. Zelda II (NES)
10. Civilization II (PC)

Herman
30-01-2002, 02:31:43
Have you guys heard the Halo music? :bounce:

virvelvind
02-02-2002, 23:11:25
1. megaman 2 (nes)
2. last ninja (c64 or amiga)
3. commandos (c64 or amiga)

MattHiggs
02-02-2002, 23:16:58
Total Annihilation definitely had the best score in any game!

Indiana Jones and the last crusade had great music!

Also I can't beleive no-one has mention The Sims :eek:

sean—temp
03-02-2002, 00:05:40
I can’t believe only two people mentioned TA.

Funkodrom
04-02-2002, 09:42:40
I've never played TA. :D

Last Ninja had good music but I liked Last Ninja 2 music better.