PDA

View Full Version : Anyone played Stronghold ?

Roland
09-01-2002, 10:54:40
Seems to sell pretty well, and the demo looks interesting.

Venom
09-01-2002, 13:24:31
Yes, someone tell me how the game is. I'm trying to make my friend buy it so I can play it.

Darkstar
12-01-2002, 12:15:20
Well...

Actually, I bought it, played it, and retired it.

I was REALLY hoping they had learned from that legendary game, Castles. Nope. They just try to fool you into thinking it is something as good.

It's pretty standard RTS economy/medieval/standard fantasy fare. You collect lots of wood, stone, iron ore. You build lots of wood cutter sheds, etc. You make a few infantry types, and LOTS of archers, and win all battles. If you don't, you lose.

The economy model is lifted almost entirely from the Settlers line, with just a few things removed that the designers of Stronghold obviously didn't LIKE about the Settlers line.

The biggest difference between Stronghold and Settlers was the fact that in Stronghold, you get ONE starting 'stronghold'. And you build walls and towers AROUND it. In Settlers, you just build lots of new towers. Oh... you don't have boundries, other then the map edge.

It has two campaigns... one is 'economy' which is misleading. The economy is supposed to be about making 10 Kegs of Ale/Wine and 50 sticks of Beef, but about half of them are REALLY more of 'Learn the secret place where to station 4 archers to kill all the attacking brigands for the next 2 hours'. Even in the 50% where it isn't 'discover the loophole in placing your 4 archers to kill 1,000,000 attacking infantry, it's a pure click fest. They are all TIMED so that you only have about 10 spare seconds, as a MASTER of knowing the map, to waste. Means LOTS of click click click...

The other campaign, 'Military' starts out 'kill all the wild wolves with your mixed infantry and archers', turns to attack/defend for a few maps (and these quickly turn into: find the ONE place on the map where you can station 2 archers to totally destroy the 1,000,000 infantry defending/attacking), and then turns into pure ECONOMY missions. Sigh. I don't mind the mixing... the Military actually has a nice STORY behind it. But I just find 'trick maps' and 'find the ONE trick that lets you win the map/screen' boring.

Other then that? Well, I suppose if you like watching Archers rain death onto endless masses, and like that 'medieval' air, the game is worth, oh... $10. :D

Venom is most wise in not wasting HIS money on the game. I'm sure he wouldn't find it as funny as I did. (I just got tickled pink by the idea that your PIKEMEN are the only people SMART enough to lever ladders off your walls to keep the attackers from SCALING UP AND KILLING THEM! Damn Archers and Nobles and everyone else will just stand there going, gee, what is that strange contraption? Wow. People are using it to climb up here. Well, doesn't concern me.)

Pathing is as bad as the industry average. Intelligence is non-existant. (Hey, I was surprised that the Wood Cutters would use their axe in defending themselves... and Hunters would shoot at people that shoot at them. As no OTHER non-combatant is that smart. Mister master swordsman who makes me swords, why do you just fall over dead when attacked? You HAVE a sword! Oh well, now my peasant count is down, so new peasant shows up, and instantly becomes a new master swordsman who makes me swords).

I'd tell Venom to buy this game if you could ACTUALLY hang peasants from the gallows, or impale the lazy slobs heads on the pikes above your castle. But no. You can just build gallows and pikes for head/limb mounting for atmosphere.

If Stronghold was actually GOOD, don't you think it would have stayed in a 'good seller' list? ;)

Venom
12-01-2002, 14:37:23
Castles rules! I've got it installed now.

MDA
12-01-2002, 17:29:15
Originally posted by Venom
Yes, someone tell me how the game is. I'm trying to make my friend buy it so I can play it.

AAAAUGH! He's got a friend? This just gets more and more unbelievable.:lol:

Venom
12-01-2002, 19:15:45
Friends are just people to exploit.

Sirius Black
13-01-2002, 00:31:46
Smart man that Venom is...

Darkstar
13-01-2002, 09:43:52
When Venom says Friend, you should read: 'Minion or bullied local in fear for his life'. ;)

Roland
14-01-2002, 11:13:09
Originally posted by Darkstar
Well...

Actually, I bought it, played it, and retired it.

If Stronghold was actually GOOD, don't you think it would have stayed in a 'good seller' list? ;)

ad 1: So the game does not go much beyond the demo ? Fascinating.

ad 2: Huh ?

Darkstar
14-01-2002, 22:42:57
Pretty much.

re #2: Stayed in a top 20 list. None of the list I've looked at have had Stronghold listed since it was released. Heck, my local Best Buy hasn't bothered keeping it on their shelves, which tells me that it hasn't done well locally.

Roland
15-01-2002, 10:10:20
I've seen it prominently at a store, and it was top or top ten in two german mags. That's why I downloaded the demo. But if it does not have to offer much beyond it, it's lame.

Darkstar
15-01-2002, 10:37:29
I'd have to grab the demo, but odds are that they either let you run everything, just only one or three maps, or many and a few of the industries/weapons aren't available, on a guess.

Aside from the 'campaign' maps and sandbox, the game itself does let you 'recreate' historical battles, as adapted to the Stronghold game model. Those are purely combat... most are 'unwinnable'/'unlosable' without cheats (very few BALANCED). However, you do get to pick which side you want to play in the battle. But all troops are already allocated and placed. All you do is direct, and so you rarely end up actually EFFECTING the battle, as the troops will rarely be placed according to YOUR ideas, and you just don't have enough time at the start to rearrange them.